No NBC announcers at the Olympics..

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Peacock won’t have Tara and Johnny, but I expect they’ll probably have other commentary. Will have to see.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Peacock won’t have Tara and Johnny, but I expect they’ll probably have other commentary. Will have to see.
For the Tokyo Olympics gymnastics & synchro swimming events, nbcolympics streaming offered alternate commentary (eg, British-accented lady in synchro swimming) and, sometimes, no comment (such as the “four simultaneous apparatus” feed in the gym prelims).

Japanfan

I actually like commentary, but prefer if the commentators stay quite during most of the actual performances and share their comments after the skates.

ETA: I miss the CTV team for Nats and Skate Canada. Especially given that I find Kurt Browning insufferable. I don't think he is ever going away (why would he, given how much money CBC must pay him?)

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Great. Makes it far more enjoyable. No annoying Weir, Lipinski, Hamilton, Bezic, Hammond, and all the other clowns besides Gannon who is good.

When he accepted the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame honor, he did have on what looked like a suit and his hair was not overdone. Bet Tara had some suggestions for him on that occasion.

As someone here said, clothing choices can be an expression of art. His "art" is not my taste but it does make you look twice.
Yeah because after all why should we watch the athletes. We came to see what the commentators wear. Really? I did not.

Fadeevfanboy

I'd really actually like to see Johnny and Tara commentate at dog shows, which I know they've now. Outrageous costumes would be appropriate there, given that the dogs are all fancied up.

Yeah dog shows seem right up their allow, and about the only place they fit. In figure skating or any sports arena, they are AWFUL. Boring, cliched, biased, commentary, and always talking at inappropriate points in the program. And constant snark from Johnny, but not coming across entertaining or funny like when Dick Button does it. Even Bezic's is more enjoyable than his, and that is saying something.

Japanfan

Yeah dog shows seem right up their allow, and about the only place they fit. In figure skating or any sports arena, they are AWFUL. Boring, cliched, biased, commentary, and always talking at inappropriate points in the program. And constant snark from Johnny, but not coming across entertaining or funny like when Dick Button does it. Even Bezic's is more enjoyable than his, and that is saying something.
I don't like there FS commentary much either. In part because Johnny's hairdo's and dress scream LOOK AT ME. The focus is on him, when it should be on the skating.

He's got a Kurt Browning sized ego. Kurt also likes to insert his ego into his commentary.

shine

That's pathetic.

No, you are pathetic and obviously your bias is clouding your comprehension ability. Firstly, the original argument at hand was “foreign media not being allowed to go home from China” which is entirely different than the issue in the first article you cited. Secondly, you obviously missed the 3rd line in the very article that says “It follows British media regulator Ofcom revoking state broadcaster China Global Television Network's (CGTN) licence to broadcast in the UK.”, which clearly indicates China’s action towards BBC world was only a retaliation of the British government’s own ban of Chinese media first. Yet the article nevertheless was given a completely misleading headline to fool people like you.

The second article you cited again has nothing to do with “foreign” media. And also, you are citing BBC in both cases, whose credibility in reporting geopolitical issues on countries who happen to be on the opposite side of the Five-Eyes nations’ (or really, the US’s) geopolitical interests is next to none.

skatingguy

decently
No, you are pathetic and obviously your bias is clouding your comprehension ability. Firstly, the original argument at hand was “foreign media not being allowed to go home from China” which is entirely different than the issue in the first article you cited. Secondly, you obviously missed the 3rd line in the very article that says “It follows British media regulator Ofcom revoking state broadcaster China Global Television Network's (CGTN) licence to broadcast in the UK.”, which clearly indicates China’s action towards BBC world was only a retaliation of the British government’s own ban of Chinese media first. Yet the article nevertheless was given a completely misleading headline to fool people like you.

The second article you cited again has nothing to do with “foreign” media. And also, you are citing BBC in both cases, whose credibility in reporting geopolitical issues on countries who happen to be on the opposite side of the Five-Eyes nations’ (or really, the US’s) geopolitical interests is next to none.
You have no argument, and that's why you had to make things personal.

Jammers

This is just sad do they really think that these NBC announcers can't catch the virus here in this country it's really time for people to stop hiding from this virus. Millions of people have been going to work day after day since this pandemic started and had no choice but to not send any announcers to the Olympics is ridiculous. Might as well not have anybody calling the football games live this weekend.

skatingguy

decently
This is just sad do they really think that these NBC announcers can't catch the ***** here in this country it's really time for people to stop hiding from this *****. Millions of people have been going to work day after day since this ********* started and had no choice but to not send any announcers to the Olympics is ridiculous. Might as well not have anybody calling the football games live this weekend.
That's not the issue.

skatfan

This is just sad do they really think that these NBC announcers can't catch the ***** here in this country it's really time for people to stop hiding from this *****. Millions of people have been going to work day after day since this ********* started and had no choice but to not send any announcers to the Olympics is ridiculous. Might as well not have anybody calling the football games live this weekend.
The point is that if anyone tests positive, NBC wouldn’t be able to even be in contact with them. If they stay in the US, they can have backup strategies if someone tests +.

Judy

Allskate

Take them to Stamford. :lol:
I'd bet money on it. I know that some people don't like him or Tara or their clothes. But, some people like them or like to hate them. On last night's SNL Weekend Update, they reported that NBC commentators wouldn't be going to China and would be in Connecticut, and one of the comedians said "At least let Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski go!"

I personally prefer his commentary to his fashion choices, but I do think Johnny is capable of both packing a lot of suitcases and getting updates on the skaters.

danceallnight

You know that western mainstream media like BBC, DW and CNN have all been reporting from being on the ground in China, have even been allowed to go into sensitive regions many times over to do their “investigative” work, and have been ramping up their openly critical and condemning “reporting” on China’s “human rights issues” for years now right? Have you heard of any of them not being able to go home?

Besides, if they are so afraid, they should know better than bringing politics to the Olympics and feeling the need to parrot State Department agendas there. What happened to media being independent in the free world?
An international journalists' group a few months ago filed a grievance with the IOC about all the roadblocks they had encountered trying to interview athletes in China and how they had been stalked and followed whenever they brought out a camera. A whole list of people having difficulties doing the job in China - months before the Games start.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
For @shine and anyone else who might think the Chinese government doesn't retaliate against journalists for news coverage it doesn't like.

Frau Muller

The point is that if anyone tests positive, NBC wouldn’t be able to even be in contact with them. If they stay in the US, they can have backup strategies if someone tests +.

Right. Anyone who merely tests positive - even without symptoms - will be carted off to an “isolation facility” with no guarantee of free communications. I hope that the US athlete delegation has its own security and medical personnel standing by, while tests are administered, so that nobody be forced to an isolation place.

screech

I actually like commentary, but prefer if the commentators stay quite during most of the actual performances and share their comments after the skates.

ETA: I miss the CTV team for Nats and Skate Canada. Especially given that I find Kurt Browning insufferable. I don't think he is ever going away (why would he, given how much money CBC must pay him?)
I'm liking the CBC live streams of events, where they're having skater from each discipline doing commentary. Though I don't like how they are throwing Patrick in as commentating Men, where he doesn't add anything at all, and Kevin is doing a good job on his own. I hope they have these commentators (and Ted) for the Olympic live streams as well (and if necessary, keep Kurt for the general CBC broadcast)

I definitely miss CTV's Tracey and Rod, though.

Spiralgraph

I watched the Green/Parsons FD from 4CC, and the female commentator who called herself a fangirl of that FD didn't say a word during Caroline and Michael's program. I was happily astonished. Was that Ashley Wagner?

Miezekatze

That actually happened with the German TV commentator during euros.

He wasn't in Estonia, but commentated from the TV studio in Germany. Then he tested positive and they set him up to continue commentating from his home.

Sylvia

TBD
I watched the Green/Parsons FD from 4CC, and the female commentator who called herself a fangirl of that FD didn't say a word during Caroline and Michael's program. I was happily astonished. Was that Ashley Wagner?
Yes. Wagner did all the E! broadcasts for 4CC.

BTW, we also have a thread in the Politically Incorrect forum for political issues re. the 2022 Olympics being held in China: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...winter-games-protests-politics-thread.108757/

ETA:
An international journalists' group a few months ago filed a grievance with the IOC about all the roadblocks they had encountered trying to interview athletes in China and how they had been stalked and followed whenever they brought out a camera. A whole list of people having difficulties doing the job in China - months before the Games start.
Thanks for the info - I searched online and have posted 2 links in the PI thread linked above.

Last edited:

Judy

I'm liking the CBC live streams of events, where they're having skater from each discipline doing commentary. Though I don't like how they are throwing Patrick in as commentating Men, where he doesn't add anything at all, and Kevin is doing a good job on his own. I hope they have these commentators (and Ted) for the Olympic live streams as well (and if necessary, keep Kurt for the general CBC broadcast)

I definitely miss CTV's Tracey and Rod, though.
I don’t think Patrick is amazing at commentating .. Kevin was pretty good! I do miss Rod Black though! Commentating doesn’t come easy.

Judy

For @shine and anyone else who might think the Chinese government doesn't retaliate against journalists for news coverage it doesn't like.

Well just look at them unlawfully holding two innocent Canadians in retaliation against the U.S. the two Michaels. Makes me sick.

screech

I don’t think Patrick is amazing at commentating .. Kevin was pretty good! I do miss Rod Black though! Commentating doesn’t come easy.
Ted has to keep prompting Patrick to see if he's there. He offers nothing of value, other than being a bigger name than Kevin.
And Rod Black had such enthusiasm and genuine enjoyment of figure skating. While I know people either loved him or hated him, I much prefer him to the other general commentators (like Scott Russell).

Japanfan

I think they are definitely aware that the announcers could catch the veerus at home. It's probably just about minimizing risk.

The brother-in-law of my sister's brother works for a Canadian network and is going to Beijing. He is happy about it because good $$. His mom is definitely not happy about it, is worried for him.

Frau Muller

New (3 hrs ago) Yahoo news article, including the bit about NBC and CBC news staffers who were taken from their hotels to “isolation facilities” as soon as they tested positive/without symptoms:

According to this, NBC tried to minimize…just a curt comment.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
As a point of comparison, does anyone recall Tokyo's procedures for someone who tested positive?

Judy

New (3 hrs ago) Yahoo news article, including the bit about NBC and CBC news staffers who were taken from their hotels to “isolation facilities” as soon as they tested positive/without symptoms:

According to this, NBC tried to minimize…just a curt comment.
It’s just crazy. Completely crazy.

I’m surprised my country - Canada - is sending anyone. It’s not like China has love for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information