The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

It would be insane for SinKats to compete at Euros, especially now that PapCiz have withdrawn. Nikita's back is not in good shape and there is zero point in risking another aggravation of that injury so close to the Olympics. Not even the benefit of sky-high scores and an easy title is worth it.
They need to show their FED they're fit to compete both the RD and FD at one competition, P/C have already done that. I mean what happens if he aggravates the back again? He'll need to push through right? Oh whatevs...Davis and Smolkin for the win!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They need to show their FED they're fit to compete both the RD and FD at one competition, P/C have already done that. I mean what happens if he aggravates the back again? He'll need to push through right? Oh whatevs...Davis and Smolkin for the win!
SinKats can do that just as easily in Moscow as they can in Tallinn, without the additional risk of the travel involved. He could aggravate the back injury again just as easily in practice as in competition.

Karen-W

I think they mean talented upstarts from junior though
Oh, come on, let's stop acting like Davis/Smolkin are untalented hacks who have no business competing in the senior ranks. They weren't terrible on the JGP their one season they got to compete at that level before C19 wiped out the international comps for juniors last year. Russia is deep enough in ice dance that they wouldn't get far, even through nepotism, if they didn't have a fair degree of talent.

mjb52

It's not like junior teams haven't made big rises before either. I think it's just peculiar timing. There was already the rumor after Warsaw Cup and then Tiff's unfortunate medical problems (had this already happened by Warsaw Cup? I don't remember) both deprived us of Z/G and made the rumor appear justified by reality. But if Z/G had been in fighting shape I feel pretty confident the third spot would have been theirs and the rumor would have a whole fuss over nothing. But who knows.

Peepsquick

It's not like junior teams haven't made big rises before either. I think it's just peculiar timing. There was already the rumor after Warsaw Cup and then Tiff's unfortunate medical problems (had this already happened by Warsaw Cup? I don't remember) both deprived us of Z/G and made the rumor appear justified by reality. But if Z/G had been in fighting shape I feel pretty confident the third spot would have been theirs and the rumor would have a whole fuss over nothing. But who knows.
I sure hope so!

litenkyckling

Oh, come on, let's stop acting like Davis/Smolkin are untalented hacks who have no business competing in the senior ranks. They weren't terrible on the JGP their one season they got to compete at that level before C19 wiped out the international comps for juniors last year. Russia is deep enough in ice dance that they wouldn't get far, even through nepotism, if they didn't have a fair degree of talent.
There are plenty of teams more talented and deserving than them - and they weren't that great on the JGP either. Any other team that was 5th at the JGPF (and largely got there because U/N were injured that year) and lucked out with a JWC spot because a team that beat them all season made an error at nationals wouldn't see the same rise. They aren't much better than they were as juniors. I wouldn't be underestimating the nepotism powers here.

Bigbird

There are plenty of teams more talented and deserving than them - and they weren't that great on the JGP either. Any other team that was 5th at the JGPF (and largely got there because U/N were injured that year) and lucked out with a JWC spot because a team that beat them all season made an error at nationals wouldn't see the same rise. They aren't much better than they were as juniors. I wouldn't be underestimating the nepotism powers here.
U's posture though is just fugly, not so?

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Any team that already is a lock for olys should withdraw from Euros. Because it's insane not to make sure you won't catch OMICRON or any over variant.
Stay home. Traim. Put yourself in a bubble.
Totally agree!
Taking the risk of 10-14 days quarantine in Estonia is just insane!:scream:
Given that 125 out of 160 people on that flight from Italy tested positive on their arrival in India, illustrates just how damned infectious Omicron is.
Any flight or just being in the airport is risking Omicron infection, even with a mask.
Omicron is so infectious, you can catch it from just a passing encounter.

The trip to Beijing alone, will put athletes at high risk of Omicron, let alone running the risk of going to a competition just weeks before!

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Yup. All that are already in for the olys shouldn't risk it. It's crazy if they do.
All russians that are in shouldn't go to euros.
Anyone that is already in shouldn't go to Euros.

Karen-W

https://russian-speed-skating-team-in-quarantine

Some of the Russian speed skating team is in quarantine in the Netherlands.
They tested positive on arrival at Euros.

Surely the Russian fed will learn from this?
Seriously, after this week's news from both US and Canadian Nationals, any fed that still thinks that sending their skaters to Euros or 4CCs to decide the final Olympic spots is just nuts. If the fed has other skaters/teams with the TES mins, send them instead.

angi

Honestly, if the Spanish federation has any logic left they need to pull both of their dance teams from Euros, Smart/Diaz have a long and risky journey to Estonia and back and whoever won't get the spot will be alternates and considering how things are going first alternated can find themselves competing. Smart/Diaz won the two competitions that took place and have an 8 points lead, they should name them and be done with it without risking both of their teams.
Anyone who is Olympics bound needs to stay as far away from Euros/4CC as possible.

Cherub721

YEAH!
https://russian-speed-skating-team-in-quarantine

Some of the Russian speed skating team is in quarantine in the Netherlands.
They tested positive on arrival at Euros.

Surely the Russian fed will learn from this?
I'm thinking Russia should just pull out of Euros totally. No use sending the B team since many of them share coaches with the top teams. And then I assume if Russia pulls out which is practically all the medal contenders, Euros may get cancelled and then if that happens 4CC will be cancelled too.

Honestly, if the Spanish federation has any logic left they need to pull both of their dance teams from Euros, Smart/Diaz have a long and risky journey to Estonia and back and whoever won't get the spot will be alternates and considering how things are going first alternated can find themselves competing. Smart/Diaz won the two competitions that took place and have an 8 points lead, they should name them and be done with it without risking both of their teams.
Anyone who is Olympics bound needs to stay as far away from Euros/4CC as possible.
They could do another scored video performance in lieu of Europeans, like they did last year before Worlds. Since they said it would be three competitions it would be fair to have something where H&K at least have an opportunity to gain the points.

angi

They could do another scored video performance in lieu of Europeans, like they did last year before Worlds. Since they said it would be three competitions it would be fair to have something where H&K at least have an opportunity to gain the points.
I agree, anything is better than having the two teams attend Euros at this point. I doubt it will happen since Euros are barely a week away and it means S/D need to leave Monday/Tuesday at the latest I assume.

deegee

i don't know how to use the search function on this forum (i'm an old). is there a hawayek & baker cheer thread?

anyhow, their fd last night was my favorite performance of any nationals performances this season.

i think that h/b have that rare combination of strong skating skills coupled with a very clear understanding of who they are as people (individually and together as a team) and how to demonstrate those strengths through captivating music and program choices. even when they choose ott vehicles for themselves (whether in competitive or exhibition programs), they always seem very much themselves and truly happy with what they are presenting for both the judges and the audience.

i hope they continue competing together through to the next olympics. i'm excited to see what else they have to offer.

ostile17

i don't know how to use the search function on this forum (i'm an old). is there a hawayek & baker cheer thread?

anyhow, their fd last night was my favorite performance of any nationals performances this season.

i think that h/b have that rare combination of strong skating skills coupled with a very clear understanding of who they are as people (individually and together as a team) and how to demonstrate those strengths through captivating music and program choices. even when they choose ott vehicles for themselves (whether in competitive or exhibition programs), they always seem very much themselves and truly happy with what they are presenting for both the judges and the audience.

i hope they continue competing together through to the next olympics. i'm excited to see what else they have to offer.
Yes

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

It's him that is unlikable. She's not.
A bit like Donohue IMO of course.
As far as skating skills are concerned, they have stalled a bit due to her injuries, and she doesn't look totally fit at the moment.
Their FD is growing on me still. But I do find them boring most of the times.

deegee

It's him that is unlikable. She's not.
A bit like Donohue IMO of course.
As far as skating skills are concerned, they have stalled a bit due to her injuries, and she doesn't look totally fit at the moment.
Their FD is growing on me still. But I do find them boring most of the times.
aww. ok. well, their's are usually among the programs i look forward to the most, ahahahah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information