Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I don't really blame people for catching omicron (unless they were completely reckless or adopted an attitude of totally not caring) because omicron is extremely contagious and everybody is getting it, but the people I know who got it, and all of them were vaccinated (some with boosters), got over their symptoms (if they had any) within a day or so. I'm just worried about the athletes who may be the outliers and have their training severely affected by illness that may last longer AND if they (meaning everyone including those who will get over the symptoms quickly and those are more affected by them) cannot get two positive PCR tests in time to enter Beijing. That last part is raising my anxiety levels right now.
This is going to affect the entire world. China may have to compromise on the 2 positive PCR tests requirement. Otherwise, the big stars from all over the world may be missing from the Olympics.

ETA We're hearing about US athletes because they are constantly testing but Canada doesn't seem to be doing as much testing and who knows about Russia and Japan and all the other countries. Buckle up, folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Is China trying to keep omicron out? Because if they are, there's no way they can hold the Olys.
I don't know. I only know from the articles here. All I know is they have a sealed Olympic bubble. If it's to keep Omicron, out they Olympics may be much smaller than anticipated.

bytheriver

This is going to affect the entire world. China may have to compromise on the 2 positive PCR tests requirement. Otherwise, the big stars from all over the world may be missing from the Olympics.

ETA We're hearing about US athletes because they are constantly testing but Canada doesn't seem to be doing as much testing and who knows about Russia and Japan and all the other countries. Buckle up, folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

It may be overly cautious to require 2 negative PCR tests, but Omicron is terribly contagious and without extreme measures it could be a massive superspreader event. We’re in a much different place in 2022 than with the Tokyo games - this variant is no joke.

Yes, many of the big stars might be out, but I don’t see them changing the rule or cancelling because of it. If anything it might actually give China more of a home field advantage in certain events. Los Angeles 1984 went on without the Soviet team in far less contagious circumstances.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It may be overly cautious to require 2 negative PCR tests, but Omicron is terribly contagious and without extreme measures it could be a massive superspreader event. We’re in a much different place in 2022 than with the Tokyo games - this variant is no joke.

Yes, many of the big stars might be out, but I don’t see them changing the rule or cancelling because of it. If anything it might actually give China more of a home field advantage in certain events. Los Angeles 1984 went on without the Soviet team in far less contagious circumstances.
I think it would have made sense to cancel it out right. Trying to have it both ways isn't going to work very well.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

The IOC is going to have some serious egg on their face if multiple major winter sports powers have multiple medal-contender athletes out in various disciplines. This won't be the same as a political boycott and it's going to anger a lot of countries if it goes down like that. All the money in the world from China doesn't begin to match the broadcasting deal they've got from NBC and other entities.

bytheriver

The IOC is going to have some serious egg on their face if multiple major winter sports powers have multiple medal-contender athletes out in various disciplines. This won't be the same as a political boycott and it's going to anger a lot of countries if it goes down like that. All the money in the world from China doesn't begin to match the broadcasting deal they've got from NBC and other entities.
It’s going to anger a lot of countries, I don’t disagree. I just don’t see it changing. We’re living in unprecedented times. In my opinion they should have just cancelled the games, but China seems set on hosting come hell or high water. And the rest of the world has bigger problems right now than Olympic medal contenders, I fear.

dds262

And your point is....
Outdoors on the street in a mask is pretty safe, right? It's indoors that's a concern
nope - if either of the parties has a fabric mask on - or a mask with a gap around the nose or cheek area - as a health care professional - I see it all the time.....

edited - as I said yes it was - when I meant NO....would not recommend.....but better than indoors

Last edited:

feraina

Oh crap, poor Alysa! I feel so bad for her. I also feel bad for all the competitors who must be nervous how they're going to get through this nationals and over to the Olympics without catching omicron.

olympic

I no longer have a public gym membership and work out at the gym in my condo. Due to Omicron, I learned to wear a N95 mask instead of a fabric mask.

I used to use skating as an escape from the drudgery of work, family, politics, etc., only to find my sport invaded by this BS. I really hate it. I now have to get concerned about competitors being able to show up at an Olympics. A real minefield!!

soogar

I no longer have a public gym membership and work out at the gym in my condo. Due to Omicron, I learned to wear a N95 mask instead of a fabric mask.

I used to use skating as an escape from the drudgery of work, family, politics, etc., only to find my sport invaded by this BS. I really hate it. I now have to get concerned about competitors being able to show up at an Olympics. A real minefield!!
If you want to sit home and hide from disease for the rest of your life, that’s your choice. I'm so sorry "your" sport was invaded by a highly contagious **** that people catch in spite of being vaccinated. Many people experience mild symptoms and then recover from it. In fact, having a mild variant infect everyone would be the best thing to get us back to normal and kill out the more deadly strains. They are athletes and have been vaccinated. There is nothing else they can do. And really, to force people to get a vaccine, and then tell them they need to hide out, when the vast majority of the cases only have cold symptoms, is really crazy.

Many people are catching * even while they wear masks. I know quite a few people who have. There is really no need for anyone to chide skaters for not being more careful and blaming them as if it is their fault or politics that they caught a highly contagious *. [edited to add that I'm not sure why this is formatting like this but I wanted normal letters. I'm not yelling at anyone]

Allskate

I feel like at this point everyone who has been vaccinated should just get the ***** and get it over with no use in hiding from it are we going to be wearing masks for another 5 years if this thing is still around? Who has the final say when this ***** is no more deadly then the flu or common cold? I can just imagine our immune systems are probably shot from avoiding germs for almost two years now.
That would be really dumb. You don't get it over with. People get infected again. I know of a couple who got it even worse the second time. And, even if they are boosted and do get a mild case, that would interfere with training for the Olympics and might still produce a positive test when they need a negative one to get to Beijing. Also, some people who don't just care about themselves don't want to deliberately take actions that might make them vehicles for spreading it to others and play a role in the increasing burden on hospitals and health care workers - and other skaters.
Due to Omicron, I learned to wear a N95 mask instead of a fabric mask.
I find that the KN95s and KF94s are much more comfortable and breathable than fabric masks or even the surgical masks. And they prevent my glasses from fogging up when worn correctly. I'm surprised that not all of the competitors and coaches are following best masking practices given what they are risking.

Sonata

Any news on what happens in terms of isolation? I assume Alysa (or any other athlete who tests positive) has to stay in Vegas as she won’t be allowed on a plane. Unless she has someone who is already bubbling with her to drive her back.

olympic

If you want to sit home and hide from disease for the rest of your life, that’s your choice. I'm so sorry "your" sport was invaded by a highly contagious **** that people catch in spite of being vaccinated. Many people experience mild symptoms and then recover from it. In fact, having a mild variant infect everyone would be the best thing to get us back to normal and kill out the more deadly strains. They are athletes and have been vaccinated. There is nothing else they can do. And really, to force people to get a vaccine, and then tell them they need to hide out, when the vast majority of the cases only have cold symptoms, is really crazy.

Many people are catching * even while they wear masks. I know quite a few people who have. There is really no need for anyone to chide skaters for not being more careful and blaming them as if it is their fault or politics that they caught a highly contagious *. [edited to add that I'm not sure why this is formatting like this but I wanted normal letters. I'm not yelling at anyone]
Man. Who put a burr under your saddle, partner?

BittyBug

Disgusted
Any news on what happens in terms of isolation? I assume Alysa (or any other athlete who tests positive) has to stay in Vegas as she won’t be allowed on a plane. Unless she has someone who is already bubbling with her to drive her back.
CDC guidelines are 5 days' isolation from onset of symptoms or positive test or for 24 hours after being fever free, if longer. (So if you still have a fever on day 5, you need to keep isolating until it's been gone for a full 24 hours.)

soogar

Man. Who put a burr under your saddle, partner?
Every thread here is turning into a huge discussion on ----- and hang wringing over -------. When there were no events, everyone was complaining how there was no skating. Now there are events, and people are complaining they should be cancelled. This has been going on in every thread, when Russia held nationals, now US and Canadian nationals, Olympics etc. They are athletes and for the most part will recover just fine. Last year, the Russian skaters and the coaches were catching and recovering from the more severe variant. Even Mishin survived Covid, yet people still want to put skaters in a bubble. No one is making you or anyone attend nationals but for those who are, how long should anyone sit in a bubble? It's been almost 2 years and people can't even get a break after being vaccinated.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think you mean Nashville…farther away from her home than Vegas. but you make a point. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information