2022 Nationals in Nashville

skategal

Bunny mama
I fully expect a number of athletes to become infected before, during and after the event. Not because of the air circulating in the arena, but because the newest variant is highly transmissible and most of these athletes and coaches are flying in commercial airlines. They're staying in a general hotel and mostly eating out in some way. Even amongst themselves and those being tested, anything can happen in the 3 days after you were tested, and yes, vaccinated people are carriers too.

The state of TN isn't known for it's ********* protocols. Only 52% of the state is fully vaccinated (Davidson county 62%) and they're reporting a 102% increase in cases overall.

These athletes are walking into a petri dish.

To be fair, I think this would have been the case in any city and unless you live in a bubble, this is the risk you take. Maybe it's a good thing if this "milder" variant infects athletes now vs February. :shuffle:
Yes this is basically what happened at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

The athletes were kept away from the audience there as well but the hotels had lots of mixing of guests with the players including during meal times and Omicron spread among the players.

sundayspirals

Should be a lot. For general population omicron is a gift from god to let us all get a natural “immunity” to c’vid, but it’s a different story for the athletes needing a PCR negative result to enter China.
I agree. I’m very worried. Anybody testing positive during or post nationals will realistically not make it to Beijing w quarantine time (not to mention lost training time) and negative PCR test requirements before entering the hub cities. We’re not talking about 96 hrs before the Olympics… but before entering the hubs that the athletes will be flown in from.

Gusmom

Banned Member
ETA: I have no idea how these comment were posted together 😂 I thought the umbrella comment was posted yesterday (but wondered why no one had replied lol).
Sorry!
I understand why they're keeping us out, but that's a bummer. Would have been nice for the rainy days! I know we can walk through the 5th and Broadway complex, but that's not really appealing with the current crud situation.
Are umbrellas allowed?
Ordinarily I wouldn’t be opposed to an Uber/Lyft but with the crud I’m not thrilled by that.
Yes this is basically what happened at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

The athletes were kept away from the audience there as well but the hotels had lots of mixing of guests with the players including during meal times and Omicron spread among the players.
i was surprised when I realized they were selling rooms at the host hotels to the general public. With covid (even before omicron), it just didn’t make sense to me.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

beebee

Regardless of city or state ordinances, Uber and Lyft require a mask in the cars. I wouldn't feel particularly unsafe with that versus everything else you'll experience the rest of the week.
I'm using Uber often during the latest surge. I think it's safer than public transit. No matter how cold, I keep the window open at least part way.

Debbie S

i was surprised when I realized they were selling rooms at the host hotels to the general public. With ********* (even before omicron), it just didn’t make sense to me.
At every Nats, Worlds, and SA I have been to, the host hotel has never been blocked off just for the credentialed block. In addition to spectators, there have been plenty of guests not associated with Nats. The hotel is a business and wants to make money - USFS doesn't control how their business is run. There have been some instances (back when the LOC would offer discounted rates) where the spectator rate was not available at the main hotel, but I imagine that was due more to the hotel not willing to provide any more discounted rooms beyond the USFS block than USFS trying to separate skaters from fans. And even in those years, anyone could go on the hotel website like any random tourist and reserve a room (it was just more expensive than the discounted rate being offered at other hotels).

I believe the way things worked at The Orleans in the bubble [ETA: at Nats and SA last season] was the skaters/coaches/officials were on specific floors with no other guests on those floors and used a special elevator and walkway to the arena which were blocked off to others staying at the hotel. It's possible USFS has requested something similar (dedicated floors) this year.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
There were lots of random people in the elevators with the skaters at the Orleans (I was one of them) so they weren’t able to block them off completely at the hotel.

skipaway

I’m sad to say, I've decided not to attend Nationals. Over a 24 hour period my hospital system had 50% increase in ***** admissions. I’m boosted, but my booster was back in July as part of Pfizer’s study. I feel spending 5 days, even masked, in a coliseum is too much of a risk for me. If we were on the downslope of omicron instead of not even peaking, I could have talked myself into going.
So, I’ll be on my couch, Peacocking….Montreal 2024 in my sites.

Last edited:

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

I’m sad to say, I've decided not to attend Nationals. Over a 24 hour period my hospital system had 50% increase in ***** admissions. I’m boosted, but my booster was back in July as part of Pfizer’s study. I feel spending 5 days, even masked, in a coliseum as too much of a risk for me. If we were on the downslope of omicron instead of not even peaking, I could have talked myself into going.
I’m with you for Montreal 2024!

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Even though it's a holiday weekend, the money for the tickets I bought has been reimbursed into the Visa account which I'd used to buy them.

I think I emailed them with the information on Thursday. They really were very swift and I appreciate it.

Arwen17

Is there a list of of what skaters are in what events right now? Even if it's just a tentative list for now.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
If tickets were purchased months ago (as mine always are) given the state of the world, people are really smart to re-evaluate. Going has got to be risky. That cannot be avoided, only reduced. I would think that perfectly healthy people may be able to go and return and all is well. Older people, people with co-morbidity shouldn't go. It would sure be nice if the USFSA returned the ticket money (a show of good faith).

This is figure skating. As much as I love it, it is not totally an elective activity. Not worth risking ones life over. The horrible spikes we are seeing right now, are in part the result of people having had enough, and want to do their normal activities, and give their mask a big "screw it".(Can't blame 'em). Put state of mind together with all the breakthrough infections of vaccinated people......it is a mess!

I wouldn't bet the farm on it being safe. If someone has a way to guarantee health and safety please let me know.

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

I’m sad to say, I've decided not to attend Nationals. Over a 24 hour period my hospital system had 50% increase in ***** admissions. I’m boosted, but my booster was back in July as part of Pfizer’s study. I feel spending 5 days, even masked, in a coliseum is too much of a risk for me. If we were on the downslope of omicron instead of not even peaking, I could have talked myself into going.
I thought I was going to Peacock it, but it seems to be a combination of USA and NBC. 4CC and Europeans are on E! and NBC. Blech.

Carolla5501

I thought I was going to Peacock it, but it seems to be a combination of USA and NBC. 4CC and Europeans are on E! and NBC. Blech.
It’s on Peacock. And if you do Peacock you can miss the expected recitation of Nashville Is where Tara won her first national championship, followed by she was the youngest Gold medalist ever. I’m sure we will need to hear all this at least once an hour

After all the reason your are watching is need to hear about Johnny and Tara. LOL

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Canceled my trip and requested my refund before the deadline.

My vaccinated son tested positive for the crud today. It seems mild so far, and I'm hoping it stays that way. I'm vaxxed and boosted but a) I'm not leaving him and b) I don't want to carry the ykw to anywhere else.

I'll be hunkered down and watching on Peacock. Hoping the coverage is commentary free, but I'm not too optimistic.

Last edited:

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

It’s on Peacock. And if you do Peacock you can miss the expected recitation of Nashville Is where Tara won her first national championship, followed by she was the youngest Gold medalist ever. I’m sure we will need to hear all this at least once an hour

After all the reason your are watching is need to hear about Johnny and Tara. LOL
Thanks so much!!! I wasn’t seeing it on Peacock’s schedule. I sure will miss the Johnny and Tara show. LOL

peibeck

Simply looking
I am packing tomorrow and arriving on Tuesday. Any reports on the temperature inside the arena will be greatly appreciated!

Someone posted upthread that, per the Bridgestone Arena's website, the temperature in the arena is set at 65° F. From my experience, it always seems warmer or colder depending on local temps as well, which today is cold and wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information