Canadian Championships to return to Ottawa - Jan. 6-13, 2022

Sonata

Looks like there will be an outdoor farmers' market at Lansdowne on Sunday, for those who want to eat outdoors. Let's hope they expand it exceptionally to Saturday given the big event there. Ottawa Farmers' Market

Sonata

If it's allowed to operate at that point. I love farmer markets though.
Hope so! It is outdoors, so there’s a good chance they’ll keep it open. Also would be a great opportunity for local businesses.

Seerek

Not sure if it this sets a precedence, but the Olympic mixed Doubles curling trials originally scheduled for this week in Portage la Prairie, MB was cancelled, and the Olympic team selection will come down to committee.

DynamicMutation

I, too, am supposed to be at Canadians but had planned to visit with family in the area over the holiday break. I have already postponed my flight until Dec 30 so that I can get a sense of o-micron status in the region. There's already capacity limits on outdoor skating rinks of 25 masked participants.

The uncertainty about the event going ahead is the worst. I can't even imagine how it is affecting the athletes and their teams and families.

luckiest1

I have until Friday to cancel my AirBnB reservation without losing money. I really hope they issue some sort of communication this week.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Not sure if it this sets a precedence, but the Olympic mixed Doubles curling trials originally scheduled for this week in Portage la Prairie, MB was cancelled, and the Olympic team selection will come down to committee.
That cancellation was due to the number of + cases among the participants/teams.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Well the speed skating is still taking place in Quebec and that’s basically locked down so my guess is nationals is still happening as long as ICU admissions stay low Also unlike last year all the athletes are all still training. Not that I would be shocked if they decided to go without an audience but again unless public health guidelines change?

Seerek

Well the speed skating is still taking place in Quebec and that’s basically locked down so my guess is nationals is still happening as long as ICU admissions stay low Also unlike last year all the athletes are all still training. Not that I would be shocked if they decided to go without an audience but again unless public health guidelines change?

From this article, the Canadian Junior long track Championships plus the skateoffs for the Olympic berths were cancelled last week.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Over 10,000 cases in one day? I'm wondering why anyone wants to attend this event at all, disappointing as that maybe. This is crazy.
You are referring to case numbers for the province of Ontario, not the Ottawa area.

DFJ

You are referring to case numbers for the province of Ontario, not the Ottawa area.

I know that. But, good lord, is it really worth the chance of contacting this virus to watch a skating competition? In BC, we're nowhere near that number and I wouldn't even attend a one night hockey game. It's just not making sense to me. Maybe I 'm alone here.

Judy

I know that. But, good lord, is it really worth the chance of contacting this ***** to watch a skating competition? In BC, we're nowhere near that number and I wouldn't even attend a one night hockey game. It's just not making sense to me. Maybe I 'm alone here.
In Ottawa we were in the +80% vaccinated range to begin with and there has been an overwhelming demand for boosters.

Ontario is the largest province and then Toronto and area is huge. They have been and will continue to be hit hard.

I understand your feelings about it though. I'm not sure what I would do either. Do what is right for you though.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
My guess is that Skate Canada is going to do everything within its power to at least hold the senior Championships, even if they have to eliminate the audience. The junior and novice events might be cancelled but I'd be very surprised if they don't find a way for the seniors to compete.

honey

I do hope that in the event of outright cancellation that someone at SC is willing to at least try to do something virtually this year.

I would expect the pressure to hold something will be far greater this year with Olympic spots on the line, but could also see them just saying screw it, we will decide the spots by committee.

If the almighty hockey is being cancelled though…that’s not a good sign for this event.

Judy

I hate that we are guessing.......why can't they just make an announcment one way or the other?
Ontario has yet to make a press conference statement about school opening next week (100% guaranteed it will not be re-opening and back to online). Hopefully tomorrow they are ready.

dramagrrl

Ontario has yet to make a press conference statement about school opening next week (100% guaranteed it will not be re-opening and back to online).
Don't be so sure. I'm an Ontario teacher and our government is, frankly, stupid - most rumours that we have been hearing from the school boards and teachers' unions so far are pointing towards in-school learning continuing.

skategal

Bunny mama
Don't be so sure. I'm an Ontario teacher and our government is, frankly, stupid - most rumours that we have been hearing from the school boards and teachers' unions so far are pointing towards in-school learning continuing.
Nova Scotia says we are going back in person and Omicron is raging out of control here.

So the precedent has been set if Ford wants to keep schools open.

Judy

Are you in Ottawa ... I can't remember.

I'm surrounded by teacher neighbours and have close friends who are teachers/staff. My neighbours feel it will likely be a 2 week closing .. evaluate then and make more decisions.

Logically, I don't believe they can open safely. A lot of people will pull their kids. We were already struggling prior to Christmas.

'They will leave daycare open.

kates8

I can't see this going on in the current format. If any athlete gets CV, they are in danger of not being able to attend the Olympics. China will not allow anyone into their country who tests positive and those who have had CV can continue to test positive for months after their isolation is done. At a bare minimum there should be no audience, and before they get on the bus from hotel to rink, they should all be made to take a rapid test and cannot board bus until test comes back negative. Also maybe only one coach per Club. But I really think they need Plan B to hold Senior competition to determine Olympic and 4 CC teams (virtual? small bubble group of top contenders compete live with significant testing or just take Body of work over past 2 seasons). Maybe delay junior for a month or two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information