Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I try to avoid gory shows, but after some trepidation I am enjoying Reyka, on BritBox. I'm 6 of 8 episodes in, but it's fairly engrossing. The character development is a little over the top (we get it, she's a mess!), but the plot's twists and turns are good.

To my fellow Iain Glen fans, buckle up. No idea what possessed him to play this character, but yikes!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Emily in Paris is a really good show on Netflix (Canadian at least). Season 2 is being released Wed but I am rewatching it as it's been quite a while since I saw it.
It's on my list but I've heard mixed reviews about it so I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Might be something I binge next week when there's not any skating to catch up on and work is deader than it's been this week (seasonal mortgage slow down is well in hand, lol).
:rofl: Your cold, dark heart probably thinks the Princess Switch movies and similar Hallmark-style holiday romance chick flicks are all dreck.

Hint - they're not! They're cheesy, fabulous binge-worthy goodness that are perfect with a steaming bowl of homemade soup, hot chocolate and a warm, fuzzy, also homemade, afghan to wrap up in on the sofa on a chilly winter afternoon or evening. Yup, I might have already watched Princess Switch 3 on Netflix...

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
:rofl: Your cold, dark heart probably thinks the Princess Switch movies and similar Hallmark-style holiday romance chick flicks are all dreck.
I’ve never seen a Princess Switch film, but I am not immune to a romantic comedy. In fact, I really like romantic comedies. Just watched “The Holiday” the other night.

However “Emily in Paris” is just bad. And not even in a it’s so bad it’s good way either. :shuffle:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I’ve never seen a Princess Switch film, but I am not immune to a romantic comedy. In fact, I really like romantic comedies. Just watched “The Holiday” the other night.

However “Emily in Paris” is just bad. And not even in a it’s so bad it’s good way either. :shuffle:
"The Holiday" is a good movie, I agree. Like I said, I haven't watched "Emily in Paris" yet even though it's on my list because I read some fairly mixed reviews about it last spring, so it's just sat there, waiting for me to be bored enough to get around to watching it.

Judy

We all have different tastes in the shows we watch. Nothing wrong with that.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Amazon Prime is showing Being the Ricardos. I was glued to the film. I loved I Love Lucy. The film does deal with a lot of real issues that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez had (as well as Vivian Vance and William Frawley), but altered some of the time line to fit the story. Nicole Kidman did a pretty good job on the few scenes that they recreated from the TV shows (the grape scene). It was both fascinating and sad if you are a cult fan of the original show.

Yehudi

AITA
And Just Like That

Ok, I understand willie garson’s death complicated things but the way they wrote out Stanford, running off and dumping both Carrie and Anthony, just made him seem selfish and flighty

:angryfire:mitchell:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We watched the finale of Hawkeye and I can't believe that I almost didn't watch the whole thing after the boring first two episodes. I really enjoyed it! I think it was a satisfying ending where bad people got what was coming to them while still leaving things open for possible returns/sequels.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Amazon Prime is showing Being the Ricardos. I was glued to the film. I loved I Love Lucy. The film does deal with a lot of real issues that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez had (as well as Vivian Vance and William Frawley), but altered some of the time line to fit the story. Nicole Kidman did a pretty good job on the few scenes that they recreated from the TV shows (the grape scene). It was both fascinating and sad if you are a cult fan of the original show.
Thank you so much for the heads up -- I just finished watching it, and I thought Kidman was terrific. What a smart woman Ball was.

mjb52

How is The Wheel of Time series on Amazon for something to sort of half watch while doing errands? I was going to use The Witcher but I think I've really gone too soft even though I enjoyed Season 1. I read the description of the first episode of Season 2 and was just like ugh more torture (just my inference from the description). WOT seems a little less... that. I've read the books (well a bunch of them - never finished after the long hiatus) so I know the basics of the story. Mostly I just want something on while I clean the house!

clairecloutier

@michalle I think Wheel of Time is fine for that purpose. Since you’ve already read the books, you won’t have to pay too much attention to the plot details (which confused me, since I hadn’t read the books). There isn’t that much violence after the first couple episodes, and it is visually sumptuous. The writing & acting aren’t as good as they could have been, though, IMO.

Japanfan

How is The Wheel of Time series on Amazon for something to sort of half watch while doing errands? I was going to use The Witcher but I think I've really gone too soft even though I enjoyed Season 1. I read the description of the first episode of Season 2 and was just like ugh more torture (just my inference from the description). WOT seems a little less... that. I've read the books (well a bunch of them - never finished after the long hiatus) so I know the basics of the story. Mostly I just want something on while I clean the house!

I wouldn't recommend half watching it, I think it deserves your full attention. It's quite an excellent production IMO (acting, sets, direction). The producers made the decision to have Moraine (played by Rosamund Pyke) be the central character, and it has worked out well. The other actors are good as well, and the show made a good choice to have a diverse cast in terms of color.

I've enjoyed it tremendously, and am sad that there is only one episode to go this season. I'll probably watch the series a second time.

VGThuy

I started watching Superman and Lois and am now remembering how lame Superman's disguise is. This series is Superman and Lois married with kids. Of course the kids find out that dad is Superman and freak out because they've seen Superman before. How can dad be Superman? So he removes his freaking glasses and lo and behold he is Superman. :rolleyes:
That disguise is such a joke by now that I think the writers just stopped trying to improve it or work around it. Instead, we just have to accept it, haha. I did watch this one Taiwanese drama where the main actor had to play a person who pretended to be two different people and I have to admit he looked really different as both. But then there was more than just glasses or no glasses.

LeafOnTheWind

I was trying to think how they could update the Superman disguise issue but then I started thinking of all the people who would complain it wasn't just glasses. I think I still want to see someone try a real disguise that would be easy to changeover. I just don't know what that would be.

VGThuy

I mean he looks totally different….:shuffle:

superman-and-lois-clark-young-age.jpg

manhn

I can list tons of real life instances of stupidity more stupid than not connecting Clark Kent with Superman. Tons. I don’t need the movies or tv shows spending much time dealing with this plot point. I enjoy the CW show.

smurfy

Finally watched 'The Beatles - Get Back' I just loved it.
So much detail and nuance - have to watch every second.
I want to rewatch as it just has so much to absorb.
All 4 of them were/are brillant.
Watching a disfunctional family, so intriguing.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm relatively new to binge-watching via streaming. With DVD's, you knew where it was in the season and which season by when you had to change the disk, but I've been letting them go from beginning to end.

So not only was I not prepared for the end of Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I thought there was a blip when the next episode didn't come on, and went to the drop-down box. When I clicked "Season 4," it told me to come back in February 2022 :drama:

The end of Season 3 was predictable from about the first minute, but it's such a shame that story arc ended (for reasons I can't figure out how to explain without spoiling.)

Last edited:

Judy

I'm relatively new to binge-watching via streaming. With DVD's, you knew where it was in the season and which season by when you had to change the disk, but I've been letting them go from beginning to end.

So not only was I not prepared for the end of Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I thought there was a blip when the next episode didn't come on, and went to the drop-down box. When I clicked "Season 4," it told me to come back in February 2022 :drama:

The end of Season 3 was predictable from about the first minute, but it's such a shame that story arc ended (for reasons I can't figure out how to explain without spoiling.)
I can hardly wait for season 3 to start. It feels like forever since season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information