The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

litenkyckling

I am all for moving this topic elsewhere.
I have taken issue with the writing style of someone who advertises their blog in this very forum to garner following and you see this as 'incredible personal'?!?
It is 'unkind' to hold a mirror up to someone who takes on the role of calling others out while hiding behind asterics'ing the names of people they discuss?!?
This isn't about Katsalapov (whom I'm not a fan of...), in case you've missed it.
yes, I do think it's unkind to pile on a poster who has attempted to give more information and has also revealed that they are 19 years old? There's no need to make the forum feel so confrontational.

litenkyckling

I thought they usually announced the rhythms/theme for the next season at least a season in advance and then held an RD tech seminar at Worlds - that's what they did in 2019. We knew that it would be musicals/Broadway and the ISU had announced the pattern was the Finnstep as well as march, Charleston and foxtrot options, but I think it was at the seminar they added in waltz as another rhythm option, and they expounded on what music would be acceptable and what would not (ie - jukebox musicals were okay but no general movie soundtracks unless it was from a movie musical - so yes to Chicago, Grease, Mamma Mia but no to Star Wars).
IIRC they announced the theme of Broadway after 2018 worlds (when they announced the tango, I think?) but they didn't announce the pattern dance until later on - this is maybe when they were floating the idea of doing away with the pattern? Perhaps the post-Olympic season is a later announcement to accomodate possible changes to the requirements? I could be wrong though! I really would love a waltz though as it's been too long!

mjb52

I think it would be cool if they would emphasize the change of rhythm more in the OD - really highlighting an ability to engage meaningfully with two styles - and drop the requirement (I think? I haven't read the manual yet, but this has come up in discussion and commentary) in the free. Maybe the concern is that would make a lot of FD's overly monotonous? But I'd like teams to be able to choose to stick with a single piece of music if they want.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I think it would be cool if they would emphasize the change of rhythm more in the OD - really highlighting an ability to engage meaningfully with two styles - and drop the requirement (I think? I haven't read the manual yet, but this has come up in discussion and commentary) in the free. Maybe the concern is that would make a lot of FD's overly monotonous? But I'd like teams to be able to choice to stick with a single piece of music if they want.
Agreed. I wouldn’t mind sticking to one rhythm in the RD/OD either. Make it an option in the FD to do a change of rhythm:tempo but also state that if teams do one tempo, they are still expected to show “variety” even with one tempo/rhythm.

litenkyckling

I think I would enjoy the RD themes more if teams embraced them more - KanaDai's RD is so genius because they read the rules, saw it said 'urban' themes and then went - we have our own urban dancing in Japan so lets do that! I think with some more exploration of the theme, we could see some more rich interpretations of it. For example, Detroit has such a deep and rich culture of hip hop artists, and it would've been cool to see a team really delve into that and explore dance and music in a different way. Piper and Paul's disco SD stood out because they explored the theme more and found something different (and perhaps helped popularise it this time round).

I just think that dance is such a wonderful way to connect with cultures, places, times in history and using that more could really make the RD feel a little more special. I really hope that the Michigan Ice Dance Academy use their links to the dancers at UM to facilitate this.

Dobre

I feel like the Broadway announcement was early, but that most seasons we don't know that far ahead? I do feel like there is usually time to do research though so I could be misremembering. We get rumors in advance, but they are wrong as often as not.

Last edited:

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
I'd heard at some point that 2022-2023 would be the Maple Leaf March, but the 2020 training sessions for those (one at Euros and one at 4Cs) were cancelled due to YKW. So presumably until they can have those sessions, that dance would be postponed to another season.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'd heard at some point that 2022-2023 would be the Maple Leaf March, but the 2020 training sessions for those (one at Euros and one at 4Cs) were cancelled due to YKW. So presumably until they can have those sessions, that dance would be postponed to another season.
I know nothing about the Maple Leaf March, but from the name I'm going to assume the rules will include at least one member of the team wearing a sweater vest and at least one Buble song.

Dobre

They've been gearing up to drop the pattern dances
It seemed to me they were gearing up to expand/refresh the pattern dances.

Didn't they confirm that Torvill & Dean's rhumba would be transformed into one?

Isn't the Maple Leaf March the one based on Gilles & Poirier's program? (And it seems like I read somewhere that teams have to retire before their own patterns can be used as a senior selection).

Throwing out the pattern could happen, but when compulsories were thrown out, they were thrown out entirely. The patterns are all that the young dance teams do. It's pretty ingrained in the development of the sport so I'm not so sure they are going the way of compulsories.

wickedwitch

The rhumba was transformed by 2003. But it’s never gone further.

Dobre

The rhumba was transformed by 2003. But it’s never gone further.
For some reason I thought there was an announcement about it more recently?

(My dance-related memory databank is all rusty after this past non-season season, though it's getting better).

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title

Isn't the Maple Leaf March the one based on Gilles & Poirier's program? (And it seems like I read somewhere that teams have to retire before their own patterns can be used as a senior selection).

Throwing out the pattern could happen, but when compulsories were thrown out, they were thrown out entirely. The patterns are all that the young dance teams do. It's pretty ingrained in the development of the sport so I'm not so sure they are going the way of compulsories.

Ok, I found the reference... yes, this was based Gilles/Poirier's Beatles program, and it was supposed to be the Junior rhythm dance this season, but because of YKW, it must have been postponed.

PIPER: Yeah so because that year, they had us kind of create our own partial pattern - like this year with the Finnstep, half of it is called the partial pattern, so it was one of those. So we were like okay, so we’ve got something like that but it's all the way around the rink, and we had to get like six or something turns each so we’re like, how do we do that? What if we did something and did it one way but then flipped it so the other person does the exact same steps but on the other side? And we were like, well that’s actually kind of interesting.

And as we started to create that over the year, people started to recognize that it was flipped and really creative and out of the box, so we were approached at Worlds because they said “Yeah we’ve been trying to add new compulsory dances, and this seems to fit the bid of what we were looking for.” And we were like REALLY honored 'cause we had kind of struggled with that program all season - we weren’t getting the marks we were hoping for with it, we didn’t make the Grand Prix Final with it. And then we ended up changing the program like three weeks before we went to Worlds - we just went completely Beatles. So everything about it, we were like (makes surprised face), “Okay, I guess they like it now!” But we were really honored that they chose ours, and actually during the next Olympic year (2021-22 season), the juniors are gonna be performing it.

Here's the handbook with the current list of patterns - the Maple Leaf March and the Tea Time Foxtrot are already listed:

Andrea82

I.A.M. is nudging its way into Barbara Fusar-Poli's turf, getting their very own new Italian team.

The new Azeri team Ritter/Brikalova is set to debut at Santa Claus Cup next week (well, tomorrow).
Dozzi/Papetti skated "out of competition" this weekend at Italian Nationals. I would guess it means she has not been released yet.
After the RD, their scores was uploaded among the myriad of attachments uploaded on the event's webpage before being taken down. It was 55.something. So at the same level of Leccardi/Della Torre rather than Moscheni/Fioretti (64.41)

Last edited:

Khaleesi

Something I don't understand about IAM Ontario is how it is able to take on so many teams when most of its coaches also seem to be working at the Ilderton Skating Club, which has a different focus and its own programs.
It seems ISC became IAM Ontario. Honestly it's weird to me how Scott just decided to hire his entire family for the "new" skating school. And even weirder that Marie and Patrice signed off on it. But YMMV.

sap5

It seems ISC became IAM Ontario. Honestly it's weird to me how Scott just decided to hire his entire family for the "new" skating school. And even weirder that Marie and Patrice signed off on it. But YMMV.
That's not true. IAM Ontario doesn't run CanSkate lessons or have a synchronized skating program, so they very obviously are two different entities.

I don't think it's weird that Scott's family works at the (actually new) skating school. It would be weird if none of them were involved in skating and had no coaching experience, but they all do. If anything is weird, it's that he's the head coach of the school when he has the least amount of coaching experience out of all of them.

ETA: I get that he's the reason people would want to join so obviously he should be the head coach, but the point I'm trying to make is that the people he has hired do have actual coaching experience.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Something I don't understand about IAM Ontario is how it is able to take on so many teams when most of its coaches also seem to be working at the Ilderton Skating Club, which has a different focus and its own programs.
Well, IAM manages 21 junior and senior teams (that I know of), at least a couple skaters looking for partners, with tons of competition travel. They have 6 on-ice coaches, plus several people like Sam Chouinard.

From what I've seen IAM Ontario has about 8 teams at novice-senior, and they have Scott plus 7 other on-ice coaches listed. They may have more teams, but definitely a lot fewer than the Montreal school. So even if some of the coaches are splitting time, I guess it's doable.

Plus some teams seem to be part of ISC and IAM Ontario. ISC and IAM both posted about the novice team Layla Veillon and Alex Brandys at Challenge, for example. And I believe the arena Scott said IAM Ontario was going to use is one of the one ISC uses. So there's definitely some overlap.

Andrea82

Are Yanovskaya / Lukács taking a break/reflecting about the future for the rest of the season?
They haven't competed after Nebelhorn.
If so, I suppose Ignateva/Szemko is going to be Hungary choice for ISU Championships later this season given the generous scoring they received at Santa Claus Cup.

Skoptcova/Aleshin found a way to match Davis/Smolkin's recent score.
Not that it was surprising after seeing the technical panel at Santa Claus Cup: TC (Pethes) and TS (Kritskaya) were at Denis Ten Memorial which was almost as generous with calls.

One thing that happened and I haven't seen before: the technical score of one couple was raised during the ice resurfacing compared to what announced by the announcer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information