Japan closing borders due to Omicron--GPF canceled

Flowerz

Surely you see the irony here. :drama:
Yes I do, it does not make my point of view incorrect though, at most it could make me into a hypocrite, but I stand by what I said. Some skaters would not want to go to GPF (I agree) in April, but some would like to have that opportunity as alternates. But there are "know it all experts" on the forum who are saying GPF won't happen as if it's a sure fact based on the big possibility that some will want to not go then/withdraw. It does not work that way: You withdraw, there's three or more alternates ready to take your place.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Some skaters would not want to go to GPF (I agree) in April, but some would like to have that opportunity as alternates. But there are "know it all experts" on the forum who are saying GPF won't happen as if it's a sure fact based on the big possibility that some will want to not go then/withdraw. It does not work that way: You withdraw, there's three or more alternates ready to take your place.
You selectively quoted me specifically and I said nothing of the type about actually knowing facts. If I actually knew it definitely wasn’t happening, I would’ve stated so. You’re going to do so well here.

You’re also throwing a hissy fit about it now and acting like one or two skaters saying no is no reason to cancel. If the majority of skaters across the board don’t want a change in the flow of normal events (just as in the Worlds example I gave you) and the ISU doesn’t want to reschedule till after Worlds, then that’s what happens. That will be the way it works. Not how you want it to work. Kostornaia and Shcherbakova would’ve been battling for gold in 2020 most likely and they both openly said when Worlds was canceled that they just continued training and didn’t let it bother them. I guarantee skaters are less uptight about this than some fans.

Flowerz

You’re also throwing a hissy fit
To quote another poster here, I hope you see the irony in that.
You have no way of knowing how I'm actually feeling while I'm responding on this forum. But go off. :) I'm not gonna argue anymore, I usually don't even post on this forum. Even though I read a lot and it's been years since I've read posts in here I only have 20 posts.

Carolla5501

You have no way of knowing how I'm actually feeling while I'm responding on this forum. But go off. :) I'm not gonna argue anymore, I usually don't even post on this forum. Even though I read a lot and it's been years since I've read posts in here I only have 20 posts.

Is there some special reason you thought you should tell us how many post you have. Because since you only post rarely we should all Know that only your posts are the important ones

At least you’re honest that you’re a hypocrite

TheresMaude

I have to admit I’ve lost track of some of the pertinent information about the Japan border closing, but do we have a clear or even emerging idea of how it will affect the Japanese skaters who train overseas?

VGThuy

I have to admit I’ve lost track of some of the pertinent information about the Japan border closing, but do we have a clear or even emerging idea of how it will affect the Japanese skaters who train overseas?
Me too. I'd like to know this as well. Thank you for asking.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I asked this question of a Japanese friend. She confirmed that citizens are permitted to return to Japan.
But do they have to quarantine for a specific number of days? That is something that would impact the Japanese skaters training overseas who planned on flying over the week before Nationals.

ostile17

But do they have to quarantine for a specific number of days? That is something that would impact the Japanese skaters training overseas who planned on flying over the week before Nationals.
Yes, citizens will still have to quarantine for 14 days.

Foreign based athletes taking part in Nationals were always required to travel to Japan at least 14 days before the start of the competition, even before the recent ban. Therefore they should be all booked up for flights already.

What JSF/they are waiting for is a confirmation on whether or not elite athletes can have the same treatment as they have been having since last November, when they could quarantine while still training without going anywhere else but home ---> training site, and had to provide a daily plan of their whereabouts.

Although from this article it doesn't seem unlikely to happen for fear that the people would perceive the athletes as "special people".

I think this ban has all to do with politics and the new Japanese premier.

Last edited:

Jonas

Selfishly, I would also like to see the Final take place even if it's at the end of this (Olympic) season. Heck, Russia can host it and offer up another LIVE broadcast on TV1 -- complete w/Ted Barton commentary!

Sure, many who would end up competing in Beijing would likely skip it, but I think it could still be a solid, competitive event. I think all of the junior qualifiers would jump at the chance for the prize money and additional competition experience. Many of the current alternates and at least two of the senior lady Russian qualifiers won't make it to the Olympics and/or Worlds this season, so why not offer them up this opportunity?!?!

mjb52

How dare you?

sorry are we pre-judging events now? I didn't realize the result was already predetermined, excuse me. I'll remember that (some of) fsu has already decided on the winner of one of the divisions before I post next time lol.

but anywayyyyyy back to the GPF. It's a bit unfortunate in terms of the timing. A week earlier or a week later and it might have had a chance (or not).

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
maybe Montreal could invite Piper and Gilles + Guignard and Fabbri (and Babs and stopwatch, sure seem like lots of teams needed that) to come perform and then have a mini dance GP, we could all rinse our brain of THE SHIRT and have a mini-dance GPF ;)

in all seriousness, this sucks, I do think the GPF builds excitement for Olympics, as well as ranking points.

A reason to postpone is definitely prize money and ranking for NEXT season, especially for Juniors. But for many of the top seniors this might be their last season (and some have confirmed it), so would it make sense to go? It will be interesting what ISU will do.

it's already a busy season with the Olympics, where will they squeeze it in?

on that note, how many skaters do we expect going to 4CC? I expect the top US/Canadian teams will skip.

Cayuse

Seems like we could use some Jason sunshine in this thread :) - his message in Japanese & English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW-z5xesKeK/
We should all take a lesson from Jason's post! He has the right attitude. Be happy we were able to see the Grand Prix (live-streamed even!) event with live audiences. We fans were treated to everyone's new programs ahead of Nationals or the Olympics. We had plenty to things to discuss, complain about, offer suggestions for improvement in programs and costurmes, and to predict who would become the latest riders on the train. After the last two years of cancelled or restricted skating events we should rejoice in what we were able to witness. On a note of bigger concern, let's hope the Olympics are not cancelled.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Yes, it will be nice to see it win at the Olympics instead.

sorry are we pre-judging events now? I didn't realize the result was already predetermined, excuse me. I'll remember that (some of) fsu has already decided on the winner of one of the divisions before I post next time lol.

but anywayyyyyy back to the GPF. It's a bit unfortunate in terms of the timing. A week earlier or a week later and it might have had a chance (or not).
:huh: You were the one that just said S/K would win.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
For this to be considered irony, @tony would have to be unknowingly throwing a “hissy fit,” and his statement about your behavior would have to also apply to his behavior. What @tony was doing was checking you, and pointing out your absurdities. Not the same thing.

You were throwing a hissy fit when you started arguing against a position he was not taking, using a straw man as a vehicle for you to be condescending. Again, not the same thing.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm not sure who introduced this gendered insult into this thread first, but it is usually in the eyes of the beholder.

Mayra

Silver lining we won’t have to see Sinitsina/Katsalapov Rachmaninov Irish Riverdance one more time (or those RD shirts). Twice this year has been traumatic enough.
I would have loved to see how they compared to the top 3 other teams right now. They were struggling at RC. :yikes: It would have been oh so interesting to seem them skate before/ after P&C just to see how anyone in their right mind was going to continue giving them 9.75 -10's in PCS.

If they were smart, they'd show up to Nationals and get showered with outrageous pre-Olympic scores, then pull out of Euros. Avoid the comparison and maintain the illusion and clout of being World Champions going into the Olympics. JMO

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I would have loved to see how they compared to the top 3 other teams right now. They were struggling at RC. :yikes: It would have been oh so interesting to seem them skate before/ after P&C just to see how anyone in their right mind was going to continue giving them 9.75 -10's in PCS.

If they were smart, they'd show up to Nationals and get showered with outrageous pre-Olympic scores, then pull out of Euros. Avoid the comparison and maintain the illusion and clout of being World Champions going into the Olympics. JMO

I think Vika/Niky will go to Europeans, they know and Zhulin know that they are not at the same league to what P/C showed at all in both RD & FD, so if they are smart/wise they could use Europeans as a reality check (barring crazy judging) get exposure, the competition feel and show one more time their programs BEFORE the Olympics.

I don't think right now it could work to their advantage if all of a sudden skip Europeans and lost momentum, presence before the judges and show their programs with the already needed tweaking/re-construction

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I think S/K will go to Euros (as long as Euros happens). The real advantage for them right now is giving Nikita’s back some more time.

mjb52

Well they do seem to create conversation. I hesitate to reference an inspirational quote from an early 00's style website but: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/paul_pierce_861496

ANYWAY. So the GPF was cancelled huh? How about that!

eta: lol, I literally posted the above without having seen this part: "BrainyQuote has been providing inspirational quotes since 2001 to our worldwide community." Nailed it or what?

caseyedwards

You just can’t accept that s/k have become a great team. Just can’t accept it

RankNameNationTotal pointsRDFD
Victoria Sinitsina / Nikita KatsalapovFSR FSR
221.17​
1​
88.15​
1​
133.02​
Madison Hubbell / Zachary Donohue
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
214.71​