Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cachoo

I started watching "Dopesick" on HULU. I didn't expect it to be so compelling and, well, entertaining. There are a lot of moving parts to this story and they have put this together skillfully with a great script and an excellent cast.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I tried reading the Wheel of Time books in college because a newer friend was reading them and, you know, bonding. I stopped reading around book five/six because (1) I feel like he just lost his way plot wise and was adding more storylines/people to compensate and (2) I had A LOT of problems with how the females were characterized and how they related to the male characters.

I am going to give the series a go because I love the diversity of the casting, the shift in point of view from the original, and mostly I love the idea that it's made Moiraine the main character, because Pike is amazing.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Hawkeye. I like that we're a little softer and lighter than the very heavy world-ending downer themes so far (well, relatively speaking).

I like that Clint is a very ordinary person struggling with the enormity of everything that's happened. It's very clear that he still has a tremendous amount of guilt and anguish over losing Natasha and everything he did as Ronin, and he's struggling with his relationships with his kids after missing out on 5 years with them. I wasn't ready for the feels trip during the comedic-relief musical number when Clint zoned out on Natasha. Also, I liked that they gave a really realistic explanation for why Clint now needs a hearing aid.

I also absolutely love the father-daughter chemistry between Clint and Kate. It feels so natural.

Favourite comic notes: Clint at the LARP was untoppable for comedic timing, and if there is no tie-in where Bucky and Sam don't go see Rogers: The Musical, I will be very disappointed, because those two would have a ball.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am not enjoying Hawkeye as much as I expected. I found the first episode really talky. It got better in the 2nd but I expected the series to be about Clint Barton's Hawkeye and it's really about how Kate Barton becomes the new Hawkeye mentored by Barton.

I think if I had known that, I would have enjoyed the first two episodes more. But I find most of the characters that aren't Clint and Kate to be super-annoying (especially her mom and mom's fiance). So we'll see how it develops.

sk9tingfan

Just started binging School of Chocolate. There is one contestant that I want to smack because he is so arrogant. However, the contestants are undertaking some very difficult techniques with chocolate. One contestant, Thiago has been struggling and I am surprised because I have seen him win other competitions.

Judy

I will fully admit that I am NOT a fan of reality shows but I do love Selling Sunset. My friend got me into it lol.

I also watched Unbelievable and it was so good.

Both on Canadian Netflix for me.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I will fully admit that I am NOT a fan of reality shows but I do love Selling Sunset. My friend got me into it lol.

I also watched Unbelievable and it was so good.

Both on Canadian Netflix for me.
I’ve been disappointed in the new season of Selling Sunset. There’s too much Christine and they are beating her same drama into the ground every episode so far. I want to see more real estate and the other realtors’ lives.

Judy

I’ve been disappointed in the new season of Selling Sunset. There’s too much Christine and they are beating her same drama into the ground every episode so far. I want to see more real estate and the other realtors’ lives.
Omg yes I know I've long said that. Part of it is scripted of course but towards the end I was saying can we just shut up about Christine.

Cachoo

Everyone keeps telling me that The Expanse is really good if you stick with it. I tried watching it but never got past episode 7 of Season 1. At what point does it become good?
I loved "Battlestar Galactica" because it was political and every time I thought the show would zig it zagged. I feel the same way about "The Expanse." I was interested in these three, large human populations on Earth, Mars and the Belt and their many differences. But mainly I felt the show came together when the crew of The Rocinante came together. They, and this mysterious anomaly, kept the show interesting to me. I don't think I'm the one to answer though because I liked it from the get-go. Chances are this isn't your cup of tea.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
S2 of the Saved by the Bell reboot on Peacock is so good and includes so many awesome callbacks to the original. I hope the series continues!
I really enjoyed it but I was surprised with how much they are trying to pull in fans of the original show versus getting new, young fans. I know they ideally want both but it's a far cry from the storylines of the 90s to the point where it seems like younger teens would be almost too young to watch without parents getting mad? And I still don't get what they are trying to do with Lexi and her trans storyline. It was almost an afterthought casually mentioned last season and this season she was almost unlikeable because of the OTT to everything she did.

I died at the part where Elizabeth Berkeley kept referencing her Showgirls appearance. She has surprised me the most; her acting is really very funny. Mark-Paul Gosselar and Tiffani Thiessen seem so wooden and uncomfortable to me.

ETA- I think I read that it was the most-watched thing on Peacock for S1, so I think it'll be around a while (at least to see that crew graduate).

clairecloutier

We finished watching The Bureau. The ending was so tragic yet felt inevitable—almost like you were watching formalized moves in a chess game play out. I thought season 5 was really good, better than season 4. Sort of a return to form, with some of the older characters again prominent. And Karlov was a fantastic addition. Overall a great series, I would totally recommend it.

quartz

scratching at the light
We just finished watching the first season of the Mandalorian - took three sessions because the husband kept falling asleep despite the surround sound cranked and things blowing up every five minutes. I would have been done the second season too if we didn’t have to keep backtracking.

annie720

We finished watching The Bureau. The ending was so tragic yet felt inevitable—almost like you were watching formalized moves in a chess game play out. I thought season 5 was really good, better than season 4. Sort of a return to form, with some of the older characters again prominent. And Karlov was a fantastic addition. Overall a great series, I would totally recommend it.
Glad you enjoyed that! This is the best series we've seen since we started streaming.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I got sucked in to Queen of the Universe on Paramount Plus because the first episode was tacked on to the Ruveal of RPDR’s Season 14 queens. If you like RPDR and like a decent singing competition, this short series may be your cuppa. The talent level is very high.

Spoilers:
Some well known singling queens are featured: Ada Vox of AI fame, perennial contestant Jujubee, Gingzilla another AI alum, Leona Winter who appeared on The Voice,

Cachoo

I LOVED this book and had no idea a series was on the way: Yippee! (blurb from New York Times)

‘Station Eleven’ (HBO Max)​

This limited series, which arrives Dec. 16, is about a global pandemic that wipes out most of humanity, and I am assuming I’ve scared off at least half of you already. But hear me out: The adaptation by Patrick Somerville (“The Leftovers”) of the 2014 novel by Emily St. John Mandel is moving, eccentrically funny and even hopeful. Following a Shakespeare troupe that travels the Midwest 20 years after doomsday, it invites us to ask what we want to survive us after we’ve done the old mortal-coil shuffle. (Streaming on HBO Max beginning Dec. 16.)

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
Recently I needed some lite content to binge on so can recommend:
Eureka (Prime Video)
Lost in Space (Netflix)
Going to try Eureka again because I live in actual Eureka. We tried watching Virgin River since it is set in Humboldt County, but gave up between it never filming in Humboldt and being like a romance novel.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I need a season 2 of "Colin in Black and White". And they need to learn how to pronounce Nevada.

Cant Skate

Just watched "Zero Chill" on Netflix ....OMG, that has to be THE WORST skating show I have ever seen. And I watched it through till the end :rofl:

It's no wonder it's not getting a second season, lol ... I seriously can't find anything good to say about it, that's like literally 8 hours of my life I'll never get back :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information