Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

FWIW, Hersh's tweet was yesterday morning; USFS usually updates their Assignments page late in the day which seemed to have been the case yesterday.
There were posts on FSU about Tennell's withdrawal this weekend. I thought that information came from either USFS or the ISU, but, at any rate, the rumors, if that's what they were, apparently preceded Hersh's conversation with Zakrajsek. One can make of it what one wants, but, under the circumstances, it would be odd for either Zakrajsek or Hersh to make something up.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I was curious, and according to wikipedia, Nikodinov medaled in 1998, too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate_America#Ladies
You're right!

ETA- substitute in 2004. Nikodinov's gold at Skate America was the only medal, and then finished last in the free skate in China 2 weeks later.

Also, if you don't count Mariah's 'domestic' Skate America win last year, a US woman has not won a GP event since 2016. The only other times that happened were 2006 and 2008-2009.

Last edited:

viennese

wrecked
I have nothing against her as an actress (she wuzrobbed the Oscar for "Dangerous Liaisons"), but as a chanteuse??? :scream:

Glenn Close herself probably wouldn't argue that she's a great singer. But she is a great performer and that's how she delivers the songs in Sunset Boulevard.

Her Norma Desmond is star turn for the stage. If Izzo wants a knock 'em dead vocal version, it's Patti LuPone all the way.

VGThuy

I don’t like Lupone’s renditons of the songs. She sings it like she sings most things but without really connecting with the character. Betty Buckley was great singing wise but when I saw the clips, she couldn’t hold a candle to Close when it came to being the character. Close captured that silent film era essence perfectly.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
With US nationals about six weeks away I’m already imagining what it could be like. It would be really kind of cool if it was like a wild ride with results such as this after the short program

1 Lindsay
2 Amber
3 Karen
4 Mariah
5 Gracie
6 Bradie
7 Alysa

Mind you this is not what I want to happen but I’m just wondering if we could get some wild results

Is Isabeau competing seniors?

I’m kind of ready for a twist or a surprise.

Sylvia

TBD
Is Isabeau competing seniors?
Yes.

List of known qualifiers (official list not yet published by USFS) that was posted earlier:
SENIOR WOMEN 2022 Nationals complete field (Unofficial)

International/Byes
Alysa Liu 219
Isabeau Levito 208
Karen Chen 202
Amber Glenn 201
Lindsay Thorngren 193
Mariah Bell 190
Starr Andrews 177
Audrey Shin 172
Bradie Tennell

Qualifying Top Score (yes some competed internationally also)

Gabriella Izzo 193 E
Sierra Venetta 179 P
Gracie Gold 175 E
Jill Heiner 172 E
Hanna Harrell 171 E
Kate Wang 170 P
Rena Ikenishi 169 E
Finley Hawk 164 M
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 162 M

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Yes.

List of known qualifiers (official list not yet published by USFS) that was posted earlier:

I am ready for the results to be all jumbled after the short program. A changing of the guard, or a twist and I’m not talking about a twist in my drink either. 🥃🍸

What is the results after the short program was something like

Isabeau
Lindsay
Amber
Karen
Alysa
Gracie
Mariah

Unknown: Bradie

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Isabeau is not winning Nats. I don't expect any wild SP results that have her in 1st. It doesn't fit the narrative the USFS needs to establish for Alysa.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I wish she had more one more chance at the wheel before nationals
If it's any consolation, Alysa, Karen, Starr and Audrey are all done until Nationals. Plus, given that she looked injured when she finished her FS at NHK, it's probably better that she has the next 6 weeks to rest and get healed up before Nationals.

Mayra

I’m not talking logic my love, I’m talking hard-core housewives drama when there’s no housewives on this week. LOL
Well if we are going there, I would not be surprised to see Levito on any step of the podium including the first.

Wonky technique and all, her jumps are rotated and consistent. International judges appear to like her and her skating really is lovely. She is too young for the Olympics and isn't going to have the ridiculous pressure that Liu, Chen, Bell, Tennell etc will face.

As far as a US Nationals narrative, American judges love it when young up and coming skaters skate lights out at nationals and reward them accordingly.

🤷‍♀️

layman

Gracie shared a podium photo of her with the silver, bronze & pewter medalists in Alpharetta, GA (Violeta Ushakova, Ting Cui & Jill Heiner) today, along with photos of her support team: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWoiJ5Jp2ZM/
Thank your for sharing! I just realized that the medalists at that competition include two of the last 3 US women to medal at the World Junior Championships!

layman

Well if we are going there, I would not be surprised to see Levito on any step of the podium including the first.

Wonky technique and all, her jumps are rotated and consistent. International judges appear to like her and her skating really is lovely. She is too young for the Olympics and isn't going to have the ridiculous pressure that Liu, Chen, Bell, Tennell etc will face.

As far as a US Nationals narrative, American judges love it when young up and coming skaters skate lights out at nationals and reward them accordingly.

🤷‍♀️
I personally would like to see a 3 time US National Champion crowned in Nashville and I am rooting equally for Gracie, Alysa and Bradie.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I wouldn't wish any 'wild results' on Alysa, in other words out of the top 6 in the SP at Nationals, whether in fun or theory. She doesn't deserve that. I hope that she skates lights out at Nationals and easily makes the Olympic team. And silences the naysayers.

Sylvia

TBD
Ushakova is a very lovely skater. (And no, I'm not predicting a podium finish for her :p.)
Unfortunately, Ushakova did not qualify for her second consecutive Nationals at the senior level. :(

I'd like to acknowledge the 12 women listed in USFS' 2021-22 ISP who did not qualify for 2022 Nationals due to injury, changing life focus and/or other issues not made public:

Competed in the Championship Series (listed in order of their higher total score):
Jessica Lin (2nd alternate, I believe)
Sonja Hilmer
Violeta Ushakova
Maryn Pierce
Paige Rydberg
Maxine Marie Bautista
Emilia Murdock

Did not compete in the Championship Series:
Pooja Kalyan - freshman at Brown University
Emily Zhang - freshman at the Univ. of Pennsylvania
Heidi Munger - reportedly focusing on coaching
2021 junior silver medalist Kanon Smith - reportedly due to injury (she likely would have made her JGP debut this past fall)
Tamnhi Huynh (WD from both of her junior CS competitions, I assume due to injury?)

I'll post a few more 'shout outs' later.

clairecloutier

I'm bummed Paige Rydberg didn't have good qualifying competitions after scoring 170+ IIRC at the US Collegiate championships this summer. Has she been injured?

Yes, unfortunately, Paige had some type of injury between Cranberry Cup and U.S. Classic. :( It's too bad, because she had a good showing also at Cranberry Cup. And she really wanted to be at Nationals, after missing it last year due to a positive CV19 test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information