The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

sap5

When Camerlengo moved to Shpilband's. She & Zhao were with Camerlengo.

Think that move had to be 18-19. (Because Camerlengo also had Aldridge & Eaton when he moved & they split/Min & Eaton formed shortly thereafter. 17-18 was Aldridge & Eaton's last season at Nationals).
Thanks! I see she also trained in Canton for a time. Do you know when that was? Was she at DSC, then Canton, then back to DSC?

Dobre

Thanks! I see she also trained in Canton for a time. Do you know when that was? Was she at DSC, then Canton, then back to DSC?
Yes, she was with Marina (or somebody under Marina), and she was itty bitty. There was picture of the "baby team" on the Canton website once upon a time. I don't know the date range there, but the picture was with a partner before Zhao.

I do know Wolfkostin & Zhao were with Krylova (& Camerlengo) by the Kansas City Nationals. That was 2016-17.

Per Wikipedia, Wolfkostin was with Carlson from 14-15 to 15-16 so if he was the partner in the Canton picture, then maybe at that point she was in Canton?

Andrea82

Lukouski trained in Rockville for some time when he was skating (for Ukraine) with Zhata IIRC.

Skating world is sometimes pretty small.

Last edited:

Dobre

So . . . Rostelecom.

It's been a while since we've seen much international depth at Rostelecom, but we have some this year. Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Guignard & Fabbri, Hawayek & Baker, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen, and Hurtado & Khaliavin. And probably a fight betwixt Skoptcova & Aleshin/Khudaberdieva & Bazin and anyone they can drag into their orbit.

Predictions?

dancing_on_ice

So . . . Rostelecom.

It's been a while since we've seen much international depth at Rostelecom, but we have some this year. Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Guignard & Fabbri, Hawayek & Baker, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen, and Hurtado & Khaliavin. And probably a fight betwixt Skoptcova & Aleshin/Khudaberdieva & Bazin and anyone they can drag into their orbit.

Predictions?
Rostelecom should be friendly soil for Zhulin teams. S/K and G/F are the easy 1/2 here and F-B/S will be the favorites for third place, but Zhulin will certainly be hoping to try to get a medal for H/K, or at the very least, keep it super close. At Skate America, S/D were only a point behind F-B/S in the final results, so that sets the standard for H/K, where they should also be trying to keep up with F-B/S. Also, S/D got a medal on the Grand Prix circuit this year, at Skate Canada. Yes, F/G, who were the favorites for the bronze, were a hot mess, but a medal is still a medal. As such, H/K are under pressure to match S/D's results to match their momentum. It'll be a big coup for H/K if they're able to beat F-B/S

deegee

just watched the first 2 episodes of the i.am documentary series. i can already tell its going to make me so emotional by the time the olys roll around.

my fave part so far is seeing madi & zach arguing. its just so human and not a side of these partnerships we often get to see.

i wish there had been an opportunity to follow the progress of other teams. like to get to see the progress of h/k juxtaposed with s/d; to see a closer view of daisuke's turn to ice dance after so much legendary success in singles... so many stories to tell!

I wasn't sure what to expect from the doc series, but so far I'm a bit confused by some of the editing choices. I get that they probably want to have a little of all six teams in each episode but it's a little all over the place in terms of what they're choosing to explain vs leave unsaid. Like in episode two they tell us Smart/Diaz made some mistakes in the competition simulation, but they don't explain what they were or what they're going to work on. They also tell us each team is preparing two programs, a short and a long, but apart from a brief mention of "street dance" there's no actual explanation of the RD (fine if your intended audience is skating fans, but weird if you're actually trying to explain ice dance to people who aren't familiar with it, which seems to be at least part of the intention).

I also think it might've been better to have a more coherent 'theme' for each episode to focus on, like the first episode could have been introducing each team, their backstories and their hopes for the season, the second episode could have been focused on getting their programs ready (which it touched on a bit, especially towards the end).

Fear/Gibson have definitely gotten the least screen time so far, but that makes a certain amount of sense since they aren't medal contenders and unlike Smart/Diaz their Olympic spot is assured.

litenkyckling

IAM doc series https://youtu.be/3PncCw1Ax3s
V/M fans are mad that Scott Moir said P/C are best of all time lol.
to be fair I think it's more funny the way it's delivered - its like he's being very forced to say it or something (he definitely looks like an overtired new dad in those interview clips versus the coaching clips).

I think it's an interesting insight - the school sells such a philosophy about how different they are etc so seeing it in action is fun to watch. Just from reading between the lines and watching this I feel like they have a very 'school' approach to the training (if that makes sense) - like it seems incredibly structured. I've never trained as a novice athlete however, nevermind an elite one so I'm not sure what the norm is!

Ka3sha

sap5

More Team Montreal content, big interview with Patrice, Romain and Scott at Finlandia Trophy (in Russian)
Wow -- would any one here be able to translate this? So much is usually lost in Google translations....

firstflight

I take it that it's less trashy than the V/M "documentary" series?
I think everyone comes off well, and you do get insight into friendships, some of the processes, etc. The first two episodes do make it clear this is a positive vehicle for IAM so I guess it would depend on whether one is a fan of them to how interesting it would all be.

Orm Irian

it's a little all over the place in terms of what they're choosing to explain vs leave unsaid. Like in episode two they tell us Smart/Diaz made some mistakes in the competition simulation, but they don't explain what they were or what they're going to work on. They also tell us each team is preparing two programs, a short and a long, but apart from a brief mention of "street dance" there's no actual explanation of the RD (fine if your intended audience is skating fans, but weird if you're actually trying to explain ice dance to people who aren't familiar with it, which seems to be at least part of the intention).
It made sense to me because they've been clear that the series is about the emotional and personal journeys of the athletes, not about the technical processes they're going through. So to me the point of the Smart/Diaz sequence was to set up the pressure they're under and show how it's affecting them - nerves, visible mistakes in the simulation (not managing the pull-through thing, missing parts of a spin) - leading into their first competition, which has high stakes for them. I can see episode 3 picking up from that with the results of their first competition, how it contrasts with the simulation and how they feel now that they're a month closer to Beijing. They're not overloading new watchers with technical info, they're engaging them with the personalities and stories, which works for me.

I enjoyed it but wished the episodes were longer! Couldn't they go for 20 mins each? :lol:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
The star of the IAM documentary is so obviously Henry! :dog:
Madi and Evan’s other dog woz robbed!

I watched the first episode and my main takeaway is that Sam Chouinard is a lot. Five seconds of his energy sets me on edge.

The choice of couples makes sense given this is an Olympic Channel production and an IAM puff piece, but as an ice dance fan it would be more interesting to see a range of teams at different levels and stages of their careers.

I think I’d find Hubbell/Donohue’s programmes more engaging if they brought some of the tension from their interpersonal dynamic to their on-ice performances.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I don't think it came across as him being forced to say it. At all.
lmao why are people so invested in believing Scott Moir genuinely thinks P/C are a better team than anyone else in history, including himself. We know he doesn't! We know that on the inside he's still laughing about Pyeongchang! Scott Moir is not just a better and more decorated ice dancer than either of P/C but also a shady bitch to the bone.

And yet in his new role as a coach, in which role he plays a small part in P/C's preparation and is personally invested in their success, his past as a competitor doesn't matter and he has to say what he needs to say to motivate them and present a united front to the world. Gassing them up is the professional thing to do in this context.

Wayne Gretzky goes around saying every first overall NHL draft pick is more talented than he was at 18 and that he wouldn't score a single goal in today's league. Does he believe it? No idea, probably not--but also it doesn't matter because of course he's gonna say that in his present capacity as an ambassador for the game.

"See, V/M stans, even your god says P/C are better!!!" and "He's being forced to say this" are both beside the point in treating Scott Moir as P/C's rival rather than someone they now train under (however indirectly).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
lmao why are people so invested in believing Scott Moir genuinely thinks P/C are a better team than anyone else in history, including himself. We know he doesn't! We know that on the inside he's still laughing about Pyeongchang! Scott Moir is not just a better and more decorated ice dancer than either of P/C but also a shady bitch to the bone.
😂 For the record, I think you’re much more invested in it than I was by pointing out my opinion (saying ‘I don’t think’…) whether he was forced to say something but okay…
And yet in his new role as a coach, in which role he plays a small part in P/C's preparation and is personally invested in their success, his past as a competitor doesn't matter and he has to say what he needs to say to motivate them and present a united front to the world. Gassing them up is the professional thing to do in this context.

Wayne Gretzky goes around saying every first overall NHL draft pick is more talented than he was at 18 and that he wouldn't score a single goal in today's league. Does he believe it? No idea, probably not--but also it doesn't matter because of course he's gonna say that in his present capacity as an ambassador for the game.

"See, V/M stans, even your god says P/C are better!!!" and "He's being forced to say this" are both beside the point in treating Scott Moir as P/C's rival rather than someone they now train under (however indirectly).
If he didn’t want to say it, he didn’t have to say it. Was it calculated? Maybe. Maybe not.

Or maybe he did it to piss off the crazy people who are still wrapped up in these who is better debates, and claim they know every last thing that the skaters must be thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information