U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

litenkyckling

Video of Nguyen/Smirnov's Free Dance

this is the most Igor Shpilband FD ever - any music could have been playing there - the choreo doesn't relate to the music at all?

I'm still deciding exactly what I think of these two - for me they were the least interesting members of their previous partnerships, so together I don't find them all that inspiring? Avonley and Vadym had a really great connection on ice and he was equally as good at emoting as she is and I think that's why they worked, despite her skating skills not being quite as good as his. They're new so I guess that connection may come.

Also, has she grown? She seems a lot taller but maybe its a mix of a new partner and not having seen her compete since March 2020.

dancing_on_ice

this is the most Igor Shpilband FD ever - any music could have been playing there - the choreo doesn't relate to the music at all?

I'm still deciding exactly what I think of these two - for me they were the least interesting members of their previous partnerships, so together I don't find them all that inspiring? Avonley and Vadym had a really great connection on ice and he was equally as good at emoting as she is and I think that's why they worked, despite her skating skills not being quite as good as his. They're new so I guess that connection may come.

Also, has she grown? She seems a lot taller but maybe its a mix of a new partner and not having seen her compete since March 2020.
She does look taller compared to the last time we saw her compete over a year and a half ago. I think it's more so that Grigory and Avonley aren't very well matched right now (as to be expected from a totally new partnership). Perhaps I'm too used to seeing Avonley and Vadym compete, but Grigory just looks too tall for her? He's also quite a bit older than her (about 6 years) and the age gap makes me a bit uncomfortable. It's not the worst we've seen in figure skating, but it still just makes me feel slightly icky

litenkyckling

She does look taller compared to the last time we saw her compete over a year and a half ago. I think it's more so that Grigory and Avonley aren't very well matched right now (as to be expected from a totally new partnership). Perhaps I'm too used to seeing Avonley and Vadym compete, but Grigory just looks too tall for her? He's also quite a bit older than her (about 6 years) and the age gap makes me a bit uncomfortable. It's not the worst we've seen in figure skating, but it still just makes me feel slightly icky
I feel the same about age gaps - I think at a time when a reckoning may be coming with the safety and power dynamics in this sport it may not be the most wise choice. My biggest thing however with age gaps - particularly in ice dance - is the longevity of the partnership. An example would be Olivia Smart and Adrian Diaz - if we assume he is retiring after this season (Madi Hubbell is and has mentioned them maybe moving to Spain) then what does Olivia do? She's only 24 and if her partner was, say, 26 I'd be thinking yeah one more quad maybe even 2... Priorities in life are so different at different ages and I think it's a shame when the younger partner ends up finishing their career or totally starting over because of that.

clairecloutier

Avonley will be 19 in a few days. If she's made the choice that she wishes to skate with Smirnov, then that's her decision .... She's an adult. Also, she took time finding a new partner, so I would assume that she's thought through the age gap implications.

I definitely understand the concern around age gaps leading to shorter careers, but in some cases, it may be worth the the trade-off.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
He's also quite a bit older than her (about 6 years) and the age gap makes

That ain’t no age gap, have you ever looked at Russian pairs? Now those are age gaps. Lol

One thing made me feel uncomfortable because I only know her as a junior but the lyrics were about “making love tonight” at one point, then I had to remind myself she’s a senior now

Ka3sha

Hubbell/Donohue interview for Russian press after Italian GP event
Fs-gossips translation

layman

Video of Nguyen/Smirnov's Free Dance

Thank you for sharing! Avonley has definitely grown since we last saw her. I think that Nguyen/Smirnov have a beautiful look on the ice. They are well matched as a pair. I would never guess that this was their first (half) season skating together. I think they will improve technically once they really get some time in together (years) on the ice.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR DANCE 2022 Nationals complete field (Unofficial)

International

Chock/Bates 210
Hubbell/Donohue 209
Green/Parsons 188
Carreira/Ponomarenko 178
Wolfkostin/Chen 165
McNamara/Spiridonov 159
Cesanek/Yehorov 156
Hawayek/Baker

Qualifying
Bratti/Somerville 174
Pate/Bye 171
Nguyen/Smirnov 161
Koncius/Shchepetov 135
Shilling/O’Donnell 130
Cottrell/Palkhouski 115
Murphy/Levitt 111

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Are Hawayek/Baker still “on” to compete at G-P Russia? Holding my breath…we haven’t seen them yet this season.

Kaitlin posted an Instagram Story a day or two ago about looking forward to going to Sochi next week, so hopefully we'll see them soon!
She did the same thing the Sunday before NHK about how she was looking forward to competing in Japan and then on Monday the USFS announced they were withdrawn. I won't be convinced they are actually competing there until I see her and Jean-Luc posting on IG from the airport in Montreal.

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS on winning the bronze medal at Warsaw Cup this past weekend! (total of 187.84 was very close to their ISU SB as well as their 2nd Challenger bronze this fall) and on the 7th place finish by Eva PATE / Logan BYE (171.00, 6th in the FD with 103.61) in their first overseas international/ISU Challenger debut! :)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thanks. Hawayek/Baker are among the few remaining “mysteries” of the season, who we haven’t seen at any fall competitions yet (GP, CS, SrBs). GP Russia will also reveal a couple of other mysteries, in other disciplines, such as Austrians Olga Mikutina and Ziegler/Kiefer…who are still listed.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Popping back in to say that I also really love Kaitlyn and Jean Luc's RD this season as well. Just rewatched it, their twizzles were so spot on and beautiful. And I love the smoothness of their skating especially to the sexy song they used. I hope they stick around for another quad, they still have so much more potential, imo. Would love to see them unleash a little more of their connection, I believe they have a good one and with their programs this year, we could see more of it.

aml78

H/B's FD in Russia was breathtaking. I loved it. Needs more mileage but the program itself is beautiful and they seem to be right on track for the third Olympic spot.
Unfortunately there isn’t much more mileage to give them. Nationals is around the corner and there are no more competitions for them. But I agree what they put out is worthy of the third spot.

Sylvia

TBD
Unfortunately there isn’t much more mileage to give them. Nationals is around the corner and there are no more competitions for them.
Hawayek/Baker, Cesanek/Yehorov & Bratti/Somerville are scheduled for Golden Spin (the Challenger Series finale) next week.

In case anyone missed this big news ... link to the GSD news thread about the launch of a new ice dance academy by Charlie & Tanith White and Greg Zuerlein (who coaches Bratti/Somerville) in Canton, Michigan: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/new-michigan-ice-dance-academy.109037/

Sylvia

TBD
2022 Nationals entries as of 11/29/21:

Championship Ice Dance (15 teams/7 qualified via Minnesota or Georgia; * = listed in ISP)
*Emily Bratti, Washington FSC / Ian Somerville, Washington FSC (174.80 MN-1)
*Christina Carreira, The SC of New York, Inc. / Anthony Ponomarenko, The Skating Club of San Francisco [BYE]
*Molly Cesanek, ION Figure Skating Club / Yehor Yehorov, Peninsula SC [BYE]
*Madison Chock, All Year FSC / Evan Bates, Ann Arbor FSC [BYE]
Cayla Cottrell, Broadmoor SC, Inc. / Uladzislau Palkhouski, Individual Member (115.16 GA-4)
*Caroline Green, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights / Michael Parsons, Washington FSC [BYE]
*Kaitlin Hawayek, Detroit SC, Inc. / Jean-Luc Baker, Seattle SC [BYE]
*Madison Hubbell, Lansing SC / Zachary Donohue, Lansing SC [BYE]
Raffaella Koncius, Los Angeles FSC / Alexey Shchepetov, Florida Everblades FSC (135.80 MN-3)
*Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC / Anton Spiridonov, ION Figure Skating Club [BYE]
Cara Murphy, Arctic FSC / Joshua Levitt, Pittsburgh FSC, Inc. (111.17 GA-6)
Avonley Nguyen, The SC of New York, Inc. / Grigory Smirnov, The SC of New York, Inc. (161.88 GA-1)
*Eva Pate, The Strongsville SC / Logan Bye, The SC of New York, Inc. (171.54 MN-2)
Livvy Shilling, Columbus FSC / Ryan O'Donnell, The SC of Houston (130.95 MN-4)
*Katarina Wolfkostin, Peninsula SC / Jeffrey Chen, Peninsula SC [JGP Final BYE; 1 gold & 1 silver]

Junior Ice Dance (15 teams/14 qualified via Minnesota or Georgia; * = listed in USFS' ISP)
Kristina Bland, Detroit SC, Inc. / Matthew Sperry, SC of Northern Virginia (116.37 GA-8)
*Oona Brown, The SC of New York, Inc. / Gage Brown, The SC of New York, Inc. [JGP Final BYE; 1 gold & 1 silver]
*Helena Carhart, Florida Everblades FSC / Volodymyr Horovyi, Florida Everblades FSC (149.32 GA-2)
Olivia Dietrich, Washington FSC / Eduard Pylypenko, All Year FSC (103.19 MN-11)
*Isabella Flores, Broadmoor SC, Inc. / Dimitry Tsarevski, Broadmoor SC, Inc. (164.97 GA-1) [2 JGP silvers]
Madeleine Gans, Individual Member / Jim Wang, St. Paul FSC, Inc (118.28 MN-8)
*Jenna Hauer, All Year FSC / Benjamin Starr, Charter Oak FSC (135.00 MN-4)
Rebecca Kerscher, Centennial SC / Davis Ortonward, Broadmoor SC, Inc. (105.93 MN-10)
Romy Malcolm, All Year FSC / Noah Larfornara, Lansing SC (124.88 MN-6)
Anabelle Larson, The SC of Florida, Inc. / Lucas Appel, Panthers FSC, Inc. (124.18 MN-7)
*Angela Ling, Peninsula SC / Caleb Wein, Washington FSC (146.66 GA-3) [JGP bronze & 5th]
*Leah Neset, Magic City FSC / Artem Markelov, Magic City FSC (141.53 GA-4) [JGP 5th & 8th]
*Caroline Mullen, ION Figure Skating Club / Brendan Mullen, ION Figure Skating Club (127.93 MN-5)
*Elliana Peal, Scott Hamilton SC / Ethan Peal, Scott Hamilton SC (144.75 MN-2)
*Vanessa Pham, The SC of Houston / Jonathan Rogers, Texas Gulf Coast FSC (139.66 MN-3)

===

ISU SB total scores ranking as of 11/27/21 (senior):
4 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2021 13/11/2021 210.78 S
5 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Guaranteed Rate Skate America 2021 24/10/2021 209.54 S
16 Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS USA ISU CS Autumn Classic International 2021 18/09/2021 188.43 S
17 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2021 27/11/2021 187.62 S
23 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2021 10/10/2021 178.27 S
34 Eva PATE / Logan BYE USA ISU CS Warsaw Cup 2021 20/11/2021 171.00 S
40 Emily BRATTI / Ian SOMERVILLE USA ISU CS Cup of Austria by IceChallenge 2021 14/11/2021 166.83 S
-- Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN USA ISU CS Cup of Austria by IceChallenge 2021 14/11/2021 164.33 S
52 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOV USA ISU CS Cup of Austria by IceChallenge 2021 14/11/2021 159.03 S
58 Molly CESANEK / Yehor YEHOROV USA ISU GP Guaranteed Rate Skate America 2021 24/10/2021 156.97 S

ISU SB total scores ranking as of 11/27/21 (junior):
43 Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN USA ISU JGP Courchevel 2021 21/08/2021 165.01 J
49 Angela LING / Caleb WEIN USA ISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 2021 18/09/2021 160.23 J
67 Isabella FLORES / Dimitry TSAREVSKI USA ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2021 02/10/2021 154.34 J
68 Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN USA ISU JGP Courchevel (2) 2021 28/08/2021 154.25 J
87 Leah NESET / Artem MARKELOV USA ISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 2021 18/09/2021 140.54 J

Sylvia

TBD
Premiered on Dec. 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dHWmXdAbg
Team USA Ice Dance Team Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov perform their 2021-22 Free Dance, titled "The Passionate Love I Can't Live Without" to a bustling morning in Bryant Park, New York City. Filmed by Jordan Cowan of On Ice Perspectives, in partnership with Bank of America Winter Village in Bryant Park.
Molly and Yehor are coached at the Wheaton Ice Skating Academy. Their Free Dance was choreographed by Kaitlyn Weaver, with music design by Hugo Chouinard, and additional music by Karl Hugo (1:21 - end).

Sylvia

TBD
2 Fan Zone articles published on Dec. 6:

Jimmie Manners (he accompanied McNamara/Spiridonov to CS Austria last month):
Excerpt:
... Molly Cesanek, who competes with partner Yehor Yehorov, agreed Manners "gives us the understanding of that hip-hop vibe, which is a completely different way of moving. It's sharper and [requires] a lot of control and confidence."
This season, Cesanek and Yehorov, who are competing this week at the Golden Spin of Zagreb, have created a rhythm dance piece that starts and ends with music by Bruno Mars and includes Beyoncé's "Partition" for the Midnight Blues portion.
"When I described the program to [Cesanek and Yehorov], I told them they were going to go from funk -- giving us 'locking' -- and then they were going to have to give sensual moves," Manners explained. "It's a contrast of moves. [During the Bruno Mars pieces], they are moving sharp and quick. [During "Partition"], the moves are slower, sexier and more risqué. If the audience and the judges feel something, then the artistry of the program begins to feel more like a performance."
Chock/Bates:
Excerpt:
"There are a few changes to our programs that we were waiting to make until after we got back from Japan, but now we can implement them immediately," Chock explained. "That will be our focus as we prepare for the upcoming U.S. Championships."
With the competition just a few weeks away, Chock and Bates are beginning to feel that twinge of excitement that comes with the anticipation of the U.S. Championships. To stay on focused on the mission at hand, they have started to put blinders on as they prepare for one of the most exciting but stressful weeks of their season.
"This is when dreams can become reality, and the memories that I have of making the previous teams are extra special," Bates said. "I think that we will just be really focused and locked in on what we need to do which is just to skate well and take advantage of the training that we've been putting in and to just continue building as we get closer to the Olympics."

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Whee! 4 weeks from Nationals and one last Olympic Selection Criteria update! Hawayek/Baker managed to move themselves into Group 3 with their Golden Spin score today! Also, we have a really tight competition for the 4CCs spots!

Group 1
Highest Priority
Group 2Group 3Group 4
Lowest Priority
CRITERIA
FOR 2022 US
CHAMPIONSHIPS
Placed in the top 3
AND
Placed in the top 5
AND
Placed in the top 3
OR
Placed in the top 5
OR
CRITERIA
FOR 2021
INTERNATIONAL
SCORES *
Consistently scored equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
D – 214.35
Consistently scored equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
D – 208.77

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
D – 188.45

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 15 at 2021 Worlds
D – 178.18

OR
Scored once equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds

Dance
Group 2 -
  • Madison Chock/Evan Bates (212.69 Worlds 2021; 208.31 CS Finlandia; 208.23 SkAm; 210.78 NHK; GPF)
  • Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (214.71 Worlds 2021; 207.30 US Classic; 209.54 SkAm; 207.90 GP Italia; GPF)
Group 3 - Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker (188.51 Worlds 2021; 187.62 Rostelecom; 191.32 CS Golden Spin)

Group 4 - Caroline Green/Michael Parsons (174.98 LPIDI; 188.43 CS ACI; 186.51 SCI; 178.26 GP Italia; 187.84 CS Warsaw)

Others with International Assignments
Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville (166.83 CS Austria; 172.24 CS Golden Spin)
Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko (172.78 CS Lombardia; 178.27 CS Finlandia; 168.76 SCI; 175.91 IdF)
Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov (166.12 LPIDI; 151.76 CS Lombardia; 156.97 SkAm; 166.71 CS Golden Spin)
Eva Pate/Logan Bye (159.87 LPIDI; 171.70 US Classic; 171.00 CS Warsaw)
Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov (155.12 LPIDI; 161.82 US Classic; 159.03 CS Austria)
Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen (165.01 JGP Courchevel 1; 163.25 JGP Ljubljana; 164.33 CS Austria, JGPF)

Bolded = Score that Qualified Skater into Group
Italics = Junior International score
Green = Postponed International Assignment
Red = Does not have US passport

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Whee! 4 weeks from Nationals and one last Olympic Selection Criteria update! Hawayek/Baker managed to move themselves into Group 3 with their Golden Spin score today! Also, we have a really tight competition for the 4CCs spots!
Dance
Group 3 - Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker (188.51 Worlds 2021; 187.62 Rostelecom; 191.32 CS Golden Spin)
Kaitlin (spelled with 2 'i's :)) posted a post-medals ceremony pic with Jean-Luc on Sunday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWc-2QJwC-/
Others with International Assignments
Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville (166.83 CS Austria; 172.24 CS Golden Spin)
Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov (166.12 LPIDI; 151.76 CS Lombardia; 156.97 SkAm; 166.71 CS Golden Spin)
Golden Spin placements/scores of the 3 U.S. teams:
GOLD Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA 191.32 2 1 (74.60 in RD, 116.72 in FD)
5 Emily BRATTI / Ian SOMERVILLE USA 172.24 5 5 (68.90 in RD, 103.34 in FD)
6 Molly CESANEK / Yehor YEHOROV USA 166.61 7 6 (65.23 in RD, 101.38 in FD)

IDC's latest Q&A (Dec. 10, 2021) before Bratti/Somerville competed in their second ISU Challenger at Golden Spin:
Excerpts:
How did your partnership come about?
Emily: Ian and I trained together at Rockville, Maryland for three seasons before we became partners. This summer, I was at a point in my career that I felt like I was in need of a change that would bring back my love for skating and enjoying my life in general. I had recently split up with my former partner. One day Ian texted me asking if I wanted to practice with him. We had practiced together a few times over the past few years, and it was always really fun. It felt so easy and natural due to how well we got along, and how similarly we skated. To then become partners with Ian felt like the right thing to do.
When you first teamed up, what did you see in each other that made you think you had the potential to become a good partnership?
Emily:
Ian and I have the same ideas of what we want to accomplish with our skating. We both genuinely like working hard at practice. We also spend a lot of time thinking about, talking about, and watching skating together.
I’ve always struggled with having confidence in my skating. Before we were partners Ian helped me believe in myself and my skating abilities. That’s continued into our partnership, and I’m thankful for that. The fact that we already knew each other so well made forming the partnership feel as seamless as it did. Even moving to Michigan together didn’t feel overwhelming.
In terms of actual skating, we have pretty much identical styles and knee bend. I never need to change what feels natural in order to match him, which is something I haven’t ever experienced before skating with anyone else.
Ian: I knew that Emily was an extremely elegant and graceful skater with impeccable technique. She was always the best at twizzles, which is probably the most impressive thing to master in ice dance. I knew we would make a great team because of our matching personalities and identical passion for skating. She was a hard worker and always wanted to be on the ice. Emily was always easy to get along with and never judged me for being weird.
Were there any specific challenges you faced as a new team?
Ian: It wasn’t really that challenging for us to adapt to each others skating because we have very similar styles. The hardest elements for us to learn were spins and lifts because we both had to adjust to a new leverage. We experimented with so many variations and ended up choosing the ones that worked best for our bodies.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Using scores for GP and Challenger Series

Hubbell/Donohue 207 209
208 Average

Chock/Bates 208 210 208
208 Average

Hawayek/Baker 191 187
189 Average

Green/Parsons 187 178 186
183 Average

Carreira/Ponomarenko 178 172 175 168
173 Average

Pate/Bye 171

Bratti/Somerville 172 166
169 Average

McNamara/Spiridonov 159

Cesanek/Yehorov 166 151 156
157 Average

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Bratti/Somerville scored 166.83 in thir intrnational debut at CS Cup of Austria (they have the unusual distinction of competing once more internationally than domestically this season in their first 3 competitions together!).

dancing_on_ice

Using scores for GP and Challenger Series

Hubbell/Donohue 207 209
208 Average

Chock/Bates 208 210 208
208 Average

Hawayek/Baker 191 187
189 Average

Green/Parsons 187 178 186
183 Average

Carreira/Ponomarenko 178 172 175 168
173 Average

Bratti/Somerville 172

Pate/Bye 171

McNamara/Spiridonov 159

Cesanek/Yehorov 166 151 156
157 Average
score_hline_1_2022_2022_bd92de0b89bdcdb2e64603bc981ed392.png

Visualizing the trend of scores for eight of the US senior teams this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information