The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Davis/Smolkin look shaky to me in several parts of their FD, especially her. Their lifts are eye-catchy but as soon as they have to skate step sequences the pace slows down dramatically and it's not very clean. I just don't get the big deal about that specific team all of a sudden. What else is lined up for those guys ? Can they be at Europeans ?
yes coz Zahorski got ill and just recently got discharged. D/S have decent edges but they still skate choppy.
they have an advantge which is height difference, Smolkin can do many lift variation with Davis.

unlike short men like Parson, Ponomarenko, Baker and Angelopol

They are Now RUS 3
But I wouldn't put them to skate in Olympic Team event, RUS still needs all the points they can get to make up for their inconsistent men.

muffinplus

Davis/Smolkin looked shaky to me in several parts of their FD, especially her. Their lifts are eye-catchy but as soon as they have to skate step sequences the pace slows down dramatically and it's not very clean. I just don't get the big deal about that specific team all of a sudden. What else is lined up for those guys ? Can they be at Europeans ?
If they place top 3 (which is looking likely) at Russian Nationals

barbarafan

Davis/Smolkin looked shaky to me in several parts of their FD, especially her. Their lifts are eye-catchy but as soon as they have to skate step sequences the pace slows down dramatically and it's not very clean. I just don't get the big deal about that specific team all of a sudden. What else is lined up for those guys ? Can they be at Europeans ?
there is obviously a plan of sorts. Which ice dance teams from Russia are at Rostelecom cup?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
there is obviously a plan of sorts. Which ice dance teams from Russia are at Rostelecom cup?

Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Khuda/Bazin, and Skoptsova/Aleshin.
Exactly. Let's see how KhuBaz and SkopAle do next week before we crown DavSmo as 2022 RusNats Bronze Medalists. And let's see how ZagGuer look too.

barbarafan

Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Khuda/Bazin, and Skoptsova/Aleshin.
so they will bury Khuda/Bazin there....Smile pretty for the judges.. will that do the trick? there should a big diff.by Russian nationals between D/S and K/B,M/B in their avg. scores.

skatingguy

decently
the scoring of g/f over the last 4 years has been so off-putting. i've just lost all hope for them even though i love watching their skating so much.
Guignard/Fabbri's issue has been that there is nothing they do that is absolutely spectacular - they're very good technically, and they have nice material - but nothing that elevates them above the teams above them. That being said, I remember seeing them at the 2013 World Championships & they were terrible, so in comparison to where they started they've made a lot of progress, and they've made multiple Grand Prix finals, and even won a medal so it's not all bad.

I❤️Marina&Sergai

yes coz Zahorski got ill and just recently got discharged. D/S have decent edges but they still skate choppy.
they have an advantge which is height difference, Smolkin can do many lift variation with Davis.

unlike short men like Parson, Ponomarenko, Baker and Angelopol

They are Now RUS 3
But I wouldn't put them to skate in Olympic Team event, RUS still needs all the points they can get to make up for their inconsistent men.
I agree I don’t think that even if the make the OG squad they will skate the team event, but looking at performance/score across disciplines I can’t see another team beating Russia to the Gold I would love to see Japan medal in the team event, singles is strong, pairs have had agreat this season and Ice Dance is okay (loved M&T at the NHK).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
there is no love for g/f from judges because there is no height difference. simple.
No, they get no love from the judges because they're boring and they were really not very good when they first hit the senior scene. The fact that they've risen as high as they have has nothing to do with the lack of height differential.

deegee

No, they get no love from the judges because they're boring and they were really not very good when they first hit the senior scene. The fact that they've risen as high as they have has nothing to do with the lack of height differential.
oof. it's a shame if its true that judges are bored by them... i can't get enough of their glide. but i let myself get so heartbroken every time their scores come up so i've taken to fast forwarding through their kiss and crys.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I think my favorite free dances this year are Juulia and Mattias and I’m also quite liking Alexandra and Ivan even though I’m not one for war horses

I’m also not one for cat suits but I think Madison Chock could benefit from one for portraying an alien

firstflight

I think my favorite free dances this year are Juulia and Mattias and I’m also quite liking Alexandra and Ivan even though I’m not one for war horses

I’m also not one for cat suits but I think Madison Chock could benefit from one for portraying an alien

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who has T/V at the top for all FD’s this season! I have watched their Finlandia FD performance more than 15 times. Second place for me is not even close- like 4 times for Green/Parsons’ Skate Canada FD.

I have a weird thing for appreciating the Finnish teams, though. I think it’s partly because I’m fascinated by Mauricio’s coaching methods (for one not known for strength of edges when he was skating…) and the lively KnC conversations he has with his pupils.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who has T/V at the top for all FD’s this season! I have watched their Finlandia FD performance more than 15 times. Second place for me is not even close- like 4 times for Green/Parsons’ Skate Canada FD.

I have a weird thing for appreciating the Finnish teams too, though. I think it’s partly because I’m fascinated by Mauricio’s coaching methods (for one not known for strength of edges when he was skating…) and the lively KnC conversations he has with his pupils.

OMG I just watch the free dance right now and I’m in love. That is a free dance I could go back and watch over and over.

Why isn’t there score even higher? It seems like a difficult dance

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Stepanova and Bukin’s FD - I like the music in the first half… why did they have to ruin it with those saccharine vocals

I know. Their costumes told me they were doing Romeo and Juliet but then when the music started I was kind of mystified but I liked it. But then it went into Romeo and Juliet but a different take on it which is why I did not mind this big time offender war horse

Bigbird

Patiently waiting for the next team that does not need all this home cooking. Period.

Edit: With all due respect to their fans, I don't really think there is a bright future for S/B. They will make for excellent show skaters and Ice Age participants but I don't think her lack of skating skills and apparent injuries will be overcome anytime soon. She has a lovely figure on the ice but what I see most times is excessive posing.

GreenGan

Edit: With all due respect to their fans, I don't really think there is a bright future for S/B. They will make for excellent show skaters and Ice Age participants but I don't think her lack of skating skills and apparent injuries will be overcome anytime soon. She has a lovely figure on the ice but what I see most times is excessive posing.
I mostly agree, but things like that were said many times about Sinitsnia.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Sinitsina is shorter, has really improved her skating skills, posture and she glides now, no longer behind Katsalapov.
Stepanova is still stiff, she is so stall she needs to rely on posing and contortion lifts to hide her lack of skating skills.

Reactions: Tak

Bigbird

Yes, but in half the time that Step has had she has made improvement albeit at the expense of her knees that will need lifelong treatments. I think her school just doesn't have the technique to help her. They sacrificed skating skills for posturing.

irenemulindwairen

Patiently waiting for the next team that does not need all this home cooking. Period.

Yeah, the posing is to compensate her lack of skills. A beautiful face , figure and legs are not enough. Put those blessed body features to good use by showing more movements like:
.More ice coverage
.Deep knee bend
.Deep edges
.A good strong straight back. And her coaches (specifically Zhuk does not care about her, she is more into .B. just like she does with her other dance pupils she works with. To her, the boys are more important than the girls. Girls are just there to look "pretty" next to their partners as they are dragged round the ice rink.
But now time is running out, I wonder how they will fair at nationals.
BTW, look out for her(Zhuk's) junior dance couple. The girl reminds me of the young .S. beautiful, tall, long limbed and rather "wooden" like her teammate. They scored very well at the jgp in Krasnoyarsk but were well beaten by Kaganovskaya and Angelopol at the recent Denis Ten memorial.

Bigbird

Yeah, the posing is to compensate her lack of skills. A beautiful face , figure and legs are not enough. Put those blessed body features to good use by showing more movements like:
.More ice coverage
.Deep knee bend
.Deep edges
.A good strong straight back. And her coaches (specifically Zhuk does not care about her, she is more into .B. just like she does with her other dance pupils she works with. To her, the boys are more important than the girls. Girls are just there to look "pretty" next to their partners as they are dragged round the ice rink.
But now time is running out, I wonder how they will fair at nationals.
BTW, look out for her(Zhuk's) junior dance couple. The girl reminds me of the young .S. beautiful, tall, long limbed and rather "wooden" like her teammate. They scored very well at the jgp in Krasnoyarsk but were well beaten by Kaganovskaya and Angelopol at the recent Denis Ten memorial.
The wait continues.

Dobre

As far as Warsaw is concerned . . .

Everyone else has pretty much said everything that needs saying.

Muramoto & Takahashi may be a new team but have far superior programs to Davis & Smolkin, IMO.

Green/Parsons had a mistake at the end of their RD, but on a non-element. Shouldn't cost them 6+ points.

Davis/Smolkin looked shaky to me in several parts of their FD, especially her. What else is lined up for those guys?
They are signed up for Golden Spin as are Morozov & Bagin and Shanaeva & Naryzhnyy. The list for Golden Spin could still be changed based on results this weekend & next weekend. I assume that Stepanova & Bukin will go.

Does anyone know when Katarina Wolfkostin started training with Igor?
When Camerlengo moved to Shpilband's. She & Zhao were with Camerlengo.

Think that move had to be 18-19. (Because Camerlengo also had Aldridge & Eaton when he moved & they split/Min & Eaton formed shortly thereafter. 17-18 was Aldridge & Eaton's last season at Nationals).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information