U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

VGThuy

Yes, they got the silver - the Russian teams in 2nd & 3rd after the SP gave it away.
To be fair, Calang/Johnson could have scored 7-10 points higher in the SP, so if the Russians “gave it away” then C/J almost gave it away in the SP. Their score in the mid-130s+ show the judges see them at least on the same level as Knierim/Frazier if both teams skate cleanly.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
To be fair, Calang/Johnson could have scored 7-10 points higher in the SP, so if the Russians “gave it away” then C/J almost gave it away in the SP. Their score in the mid-130s+ show the judges see them at least on the same level as Knierim/Frazier if both teams skate cleanly.
Well, yes, and C-G/L are scoring in a similar range also. I do think that K/F are just a smidge ahead of C-G/L and C/J right now and, looking at the scores, C-G/L might have a tiny edge over C/J, and both of those teams have L/M coming up close behind. It really is, IMO, going to come down to Nats and who skates best - I think the USFS is going to send K/F and whichever team finishes highest of the other three to the Olympics.

Kateri

void beast
(reposting what I wrote in another thread) I'm glad she's out of the hospital! But you have to watch head injuries SO closely for a few days after. People can improve temporarily, then dramatically decline, so I hope they're monitoring her really carefully. They better not let her fly yet!

Karen-W

Latest update about Liu/O'shea - both suffered concussions and are resting at their hotel rooms:
I'm so glad that they are both resting. I hope they are able to stay there as long as necessary before it's deemed safe to fly.

And I'm glad Danny was properly checked out - there was no way he didn't have a concussion, despite early reports right after the event yesterday.

Firedancer

Latest update about Liu/O'shea - both suffered concussions and are resting at their hotel rooms:

I’m happy to hear both are resting in their rooms. That video was horrible to watch and I still can’t believe she wasn’t taken off the ice on a backboard. I hope they are able to rest as long as they need to before flying home and that they take appropriate time to heal.

olympic

What is Liu / O'Shea's future (or any skater's future for that matter) in re to competition? Can they eventually compete at full capacity sooner or later?? Is there a normal recovery time before returning to regular practices an competitions? For example, will they be at Nationals? It would be sad if they weren't.

aml78

What is Liu / O'Shea's future (or any skater's future for that matter) in re to competition? Can they eventually compete at full capacity sooner or later?? Is there a normal recovery time before returning to regular practices an competitions? For example, will they be at Nationals? It would be sad if they weren't.
I would be shocked if they are back in competition this season.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sadly, I agree … I think concussions are very individual, different for each person, it’s very hard to predict recovery times. But it can take a while, weeks or even months. 😢😢. ETA: And these may be severe concussions.
Or they result in permanent deficits. See Julianne Seguin. I hope for the best for both of them.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Or they result in permanent deficits. See Julianne Seguin. I hope for the best for both of them.
Or like Paul Binnabose or the NFL players or Mohammed Ali.

Concussions, particularly repeated concussions, can result in CTE.

Jamalele

Remember of Natasha Richardson, at first she went well and even moving to the hotel on her own. Then hour by hour she got worse. So hopefully they have an eye on her☺️

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Congrats to Alexa and Brandon on winning the bronze medal at IdF! Beautiful skate, except for Brandon's fall but still, they are a great pair and I look forward to seeing them more this season!

Totally Alexa seems to have her jumps back. All of her jumps look terrific today and yesterday.

I miss the twist she had with Chris it was such a high scoring element. I wish these two had a bit more choreography or character development into the programs though.... I think if I really think about it Ashley and Tim have the most choreography of all the American Pairs

But a big shout out to Alexa and Brandon

And didn’t Jessica and Brian have 130 or 135 free yesterday?

Karen-W

Totally Alexa seems to have her jumps back. All of her jumps look terrific today and yesterday.

I miss the twist she had with Chris it was such a high scoring element. I wish these two had a bit more choreography or character development into the programs though.... I think if I really think about it Ashley and Tim have the most choreography of all the American Pairs

But a big shout out to Alexa and Brandon

And didn’t Jessica and Brian have 130 or 135 free yesterday?
Yes, 135.16 for C/J and a new SB total of 196.85.

K/F are clearly qualified into Group 2 for the US Olympic selection criteria now - they haven't scored lower than the Top 5 score from Worlds yet this fall.

Group 3 - C-G/L, C/J, L/M

Group 4 - C/H, L/O, M/B, S/S (not sure if they have US passports yet so they might not be eligible for the Olympics).

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Yes, 135.16 for C/J and a new SB total of 196.85.

K/F are clearly qualified into Group 2 for the US Olympic selection criteria now - they haven't scored lower than the Top 5 score from Worlds yet this fall.

Group 3 - C-G/L, C/J, L/M

Group 4 - C/H, L/O, M/B, S/S (not sure if they have US passports yet so they might not be eligible for the Olympics).
Some poor USFSA intern is probably having to monitor all these posts and cursing whoever made up these categories we're analyzing to the letter haha

Karen-W

Some poor USFSA intern is probably having to monitor all these posts and cursing whoever made up these categories we're analyzing to the letter haha
Well, they did give themselves an easy out with the "And/Or" 2022 Nationals results clauses for each group. So, basically, they can do whatever they want, lol. I mean, K/F could finish 5th and they'll still be Group 2 and get priority selection to the Olympic team over all other US pairs teams. ;)

The only thing that might tie their hands is if their preferred #2 team finishes outside the top 3 and the other two teams in Group 3 DO finish in the top 3. Then they'll find themselves in a bit of a pickle.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Well, they did give themselves an easy out with the "And/Or" 2022 Nationals results clauses for each group. So, basically, they can do whatever they want, lol. I mean, K/F could finish 5th and they'll still be Group 2 and get priority selection to the Olympic team over all other US pairs teams. ;)
I hope all the others at least get badges or something. "I was Group 3 in the USFSA Olympic Team Selection Criteria."

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR PAIRS 2022 Nationals complete field (Unofficial)

International
Knierim/Frazier 202
Cain-Gribble/LeDuc 202
Calalang/Johnson 197
Lu/Mitrofanov 190
Liu/O’Shea 175
Chan/Howe 163

Qualifying
McBeath/Bartholomay 171
Smirnova/Siianytsia 168
Plazas/Fernandez 147
Finster/Silecky 141
Mokhova/Mokhov 140
Cooke/Bearinger 136

olympic

SENIOR PAIRS 2022 Nationals complete field (Unofficial)

International
Knierim/Frazier 202
Cain-Gribble/LeDuc 202
Calalang/Johnson 197
Lu/Mitrofanov 190
Liu/O’Shea 175
Chan/Howe 163

Qualifying
McBeath/Bartholomay 171
Smirnova/Siianytsia 168
Plazas/Fernandez 147
Finster/Silecky 141
Mokhova/Mokhov 140
Cooke/Bearinger 136
Didn't McBeath / Bartholomay have a 168 Internationally? I thought I saw their name on the ISU scoreboard (ahead of C/H) ?

Also note that C/J had a 70 TES score at the Warsaw Cup in the LP! I think Boikova / Kozlovski had 68 at IdF. I know - 2 different comps but international judges are willing to give it to them IF they deliver. I really hope she works thru her jump issues, because right now they have everything else (I generally don't like their music selections though, except that GOT SP a couple of years ago).

Silly mistakes by K/F kept them from silver; her checked-out landing on the throw in the SP and his fall in the LP (which he can land). I would really like to see them continue to make a strong statement because in order to move up, their going to have show solid, powerful performances again and again, then the judges will boost their scores.

I am really happy for CG/L. I agree that they have the best choreo among the US pairs. Her URs are chronic though.

I see an interesting competition in the US between 2 women who have SBS jump issues; a race to see if stressy Jessy stands up on jumps before Ash fixes her URs. My prediction - Whichever woman does better in managing their weaknesses over the next couple of months will probably be named to the Olympic team.

L/M are safe 4th. No one is really pushing them from behind, sadly that was a potential role for L/O, and I don't see that they have that superstar power yet to boost the PCS, but they can really build points on the elements. Proud of their SBS jumps.

yeslek

Didn't McBeath / Bartholomay have a 168 Internationally? I thought I saw their name on the ISU scoreboard (ahead of C/H) ?

Also note that C/J had a 70 TES score at the Warsaw Cup in the LP! I think Boikova / Kozlovski had 68 at IdF. I know - 2 different comps but international judges are willing to give it to them IF they deliver. I really hope she works thru her jump issues, because right now they have everything else (I generally don't like their music selections though, except that GOT SP a couple of years ago).

Silly mistakes by K/F kept them from silver; her checked-out landing on the throw in the SP and his fall in the LP (which he can land). I would really like to see them continue to make a strong statement because in order to move up, their going to have show solid, powerful performances again and again, then the judges will boost their scores.

I am really happy for CG/L. I agree that they have the best choreo among the US pairs. Her URs are chronic though.

I see an interesting competition in the US between 2 women who have SBS jump issues; a race to see if stressy Jessy stands up on jumps before Ash fixes her URs. My prediction - Whichever woman does better in managing their weaknesses over the next couple of months will probably be named to the Olympic team.

L/M are safe 4th. No one is really pushing them from behind, sadly that was a potential role for L/O, and I don't see that they have that superstar power yet to boost the PCS, but they can really build points on the elements. Proud of their SBS jumps.
Warsaw scoring was wild all around. C/J scores were a bit inflated especially in the short. That was a high score for their mistakes

olympic

Warsaw scoring was wild all around. C/J scores were a bit inflated especially in the short. That was a high score for their mistakes
Inflation for international scores usually comes from fed politik. I don't see the USFSA exactly in C/J's corner. I personally think they are more behind K/F and CG/L. C/J have incredible SS; they generate power / speed with relatively few strokes and their twist / throws are big. I think international judges like and recognize good SS.

yeslek

Inflation for international scores usually comes from fed politik. I don't see the USFSA exactly in C/J's corner. I personally think they are more behind K/F and CG/L. C/J have incredible SS; they generate power / speed with relatively few strokes and their twist / throws are big. I think international judges like and recognize good SS.
I don’t think their good skating skills showed during this particular competition in the short program though. That was a complete mess and when they start to mess up their skating gets very small. Their twist didn’t even look normal to me. I think Warsaw had very inflated scores all around (not just their team).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information