The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Or now? They outscored Stepanova/Bukin today ....
But the scores aren't comparable across events, are they? My opinion, having watched the first two groups of dance at Warsaw this morning as well as DavSmo and PateBye is that the tech panel was very generous with its levels and the IdF panel was far less so. It does make a difference in scores.

angi

Which ones? The scores at Lombardia, Autumn Classic, and U.S. Classic seemed at least fairly in line with those seen elsewhere? (But I haven't had time to follow a lot of the Euro Challengers.)
Actually the scores Davis/Smolkin got at US Classic are what signaled the start of their out of nowhere rise, they got 75.21 in the RD and 115.24 in the FD which are scores at the level of teams like FB/S, S/D, H/K, and many other way stronger teams. They were also slightly higher than what Z/G got at Worlds 2021.
The scores at Warsaw Cup were generous across the board with levels calls and GOE but no one came close to the ludicrous scores D/S got.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

But the scores aren't comparable across events, are they?

Obviously this is a question that bears analysis.

However, I think there is often not as much variance in scoring across events as we might think. (Just as one example, Hawayek/Baker last year received virtually the same PCS in the free dance at WTT as they did at Worlds, it was just .02 apart.)

But here's a quick look at what several teams have scored for their rhythm dances across several competitions this year:

In their 3 competitions so far, Hubbell/Donohue have scored in the rhythm dance: 84.06, 83.58, 84.79

Chock/Bates: 83.72, 82.55, 86.02

Papadakis/Cizeron: 85.58, 87.45, 89.08

Green/Parsons: 65.78, 73.93, 72.40, 75.60, 75.35

Smart/Diaz: 75.20, 74.06, 76.97

Hurtado/Khaliavan: 72.65, 74.79, 76.40

litenkyckling

Tech panels that have had Baranov as the ATS this year have tended to have higher technical scores than usual (or maybe more leniant ones if you watch what they were scoring). He's been the ATS at Nebelhorn, Denis Ten Memorial, Italian GP and Warsaw Cup. Every challenger where he has been on the panel has seen at least one team get all 4 KPs.

Andrea82

Tech panels that have had Baranov as the ATS this year have tended to have higher technical scores than usual (or maybe more leniant ones if you watch what they were scoring). He's been the ATS at Nebelhorn, Denis Ten Memorial, Italian GP and Warsaw Cup. Every challenger where he has been on the panel has seen at least one team get all 4 KPs.
He has been also TS at Minsk Ice Star and Victor Petrenko Cup. Both generously scored.

deegee

which team got all 4 kps in italy?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Stepbukin are being dumped like cold turkey.

Davis / Smolkin are younger, they need new blood, they have improved though through the years under Igor
I dont see anyone stopping them becoming RUS No.1 soon, maybe Kaganovskaya / Angelopol under Krylova, but she is only 16 years old, she could grow 3 inches an its over, Angelopol is good but again a short man, nobody likes a short partner

litenkyckling

Davis / Smolkin are younger, they need new blood, they have improved though through the years under Igor
I dont see anyone stopping them becoming RUS No.1 soon, maybe Kaganovskaya / Angelopol under Krylova, but she is only 16 years old, she could grow 3 inches an its over, Angelopol is good but again a short man, nobody likes a short partner
come on now, they haven't improved that much

Karen-W

Do you even watch any of the skating or just look at the scores?

litenkyckling

I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that D/S are simply not the most talented in a field with a lot of junior talent - Russia have a multitude of junior world medalists with amazing talent but they choose to push these two instead? I don't even think they're packaged all that well.

Karen-W

first she took pairs, now she is messing with ice dance, now it's personal
Well, she is trying to take pairs. Jury's out still on whether or not she can fix whatever's wrong with TarMor.

topaz

Stepanova and Bukin, imo finally are being judged correctly. They are very good performers but Bukin is the stronger the skater and they've been judged mostly based on his skill level. Z/G are both strong skaters and should have been placed higher than they have been over the last 3 years. But Bukin's dad is OGM, World Champion and they have very strong voices in the Russian Fed. Personally, I think Russia's #3 team should be #2 and S/B should be Russia's # 4 or #5 team. Yes, I think M/B and S/A have better programs and stronger skater elements than S/B.

I've seen S/B skate live two or three times. Seeing them LIVE, you see they are slow, less powerful, less ice coverage than several other teams. I've read that Stepanova still appears to be in "awe" or "flummoxed" that P/C are beating them. She still sees herself and Ivan beating them, like P/C are the same skaters they were when they were 16. SMH

Last edited:

irenemulindwairen

Stepanova and Bukin, imo finally are being judged correctly. They are very good performers but Bukin is the stronger the skater and they've been judged mostly on his skill level. Z/G are bother strong skaters and should have been placed higher than they have been over the last 3 years. But Bukin's dad is OGM, World Champion and they have very strong voices in the Russian Fed. Personally, I think Russia's #3 team should be #2 and S/B should be Russia's # 4 or #5 team. Yes, I think M/B and S/A have better programs and stronger skater elements than S/B.

I've seen S/B skate live two or three times. Seeing them LIVE, you see they are slow, less powerful, less ice coverage than several other teams. I've read that Stepanova still appears to be in "awe" or "flummoxed" that P/C are beating them. She still sees herself and Ivan beating them, like P/C are the same skaters they were when they were 16. SMH
Instead of fixing her flaws, she is still reminiscing "good old junior days",

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information