The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I think these 3 teams are in very different places wrt their development.
They’ve been scored similarly at competitions IIRC so they’ve kind of been put in that same tier. Although G/P beat L/L pretty easily at Autumn Classic this year which pleases me greatly.

litenkyckling

I think these 3 teams are in very different places wrt their development.
I agree - I think C/P are in an uncomfortable but neccessary rebuilding phase (I'm not expecting the best results from them this year as they work on a new skating style and technique), G/P have found their voice and now gel like a more established as a team and L/L are skating with more perfomance and confidence than before (some of which I think comes from gaining experience at 4CC and Worlds) but are still solidly in the no.3 Canadian spot.

Next season however, I think we might see them more close together in terms of development.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Heheh... Those Denis Ten Memorial RD scores tell me that the RFSF concern about their top 3 teams making it to Beijing is very, very real. When Skoptcova/Aleshin and Khudaiberdieva/Bazin scoring higher than Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and Smart/Diaz scored last week at Skate America, and considerably higher than what Morozov/Bagin scored, you know the RFSF is worried.

Also interesting, Nazarova/Nikitin improved on their score from last week (75.17 to 75.46) slightly.

Debbie S

Heheh... Those Denis Ten Memorial RD scores tell me that the RFSF concern about their top 3 teams making it to Beijing is very, very real. When Skoptcova/Aleshin and Khudaiberdieva/Bazin scoring higher than Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen and Smart/Diaz scored last week at Skate America, and considerably higher than what Morozov/Bagin scored, you know the RFSF is worried.
Or they could be working on setting them up for the next quad. Never too early to start the politiks. :shuffle:

clairecloutier

Question for dance fans: Have there been any other free dances over the years, like Green/Parsons', that were modeled on the Martha Graham style and technique of modern dance?

I don't remember any offhand, but I'm wondering if other people do.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Or they could be working on setting them up for the next quad. Never too early to start the politiks. :shuffle:
Fair point. It does set these teams up for next quad but it also works out rather nicely to make sure they're getting high scores in case 1 or more of the top 3 teams don't make it to Beijing.

litenkyckling

For anyone interested:
  • Denis Ten has produced the highest BV scores in the RD so far.
  • 2/7 teams here got 1MB4 - the most in any competition so far.
  • 2/7 women got Pst4 - the most in any competition so far.
  • ACI produced the highest number of men getting Pst4 - 2/7.
  • ACI also produced the first 1MB4 of the season.
  • Therefore, if you want to get a panel that will give out those high levels, try and get to a comp where Krytskaya is the TS and Gustafsson is the ATS.
(yes, I have too much time on my hands and love a spreadsheet, thanks for asking)

jmtfti

Question for dance fans: Have there been any other free dances over the years, like Green/Parsons', that were modeled on the Martha Graham style and technique of modern dance?

I don't remember any offhand, but I'm wondering if other people do.
Not Martha Graham specifically, but of course V/M's Carmen drew extensively on modern dance vocabulary (the twizzles even reference the Horton technique's lateral T) and I interviewed a few off-ice sources on the subject back in the day about the challenges involved in the genre's translation to ice: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/working-to-highlight-the-modern-dance-in-ice-dance/

firstflight

They’ve been scored similarly at competitions IIRC so they’ve kind of been put in that same tier. Although G/P beat L/L pretty easily at Autumn Classic this year which pleases me greatly.
Same. Although here at Skate Canada, G/P just barely stayed ahead of L/L in the RD.

L/L just irritate me, from Marjorie’s wide smile regardless of the plot from the super-well known movie to Zachary trying too hard to be Scott Moir.

SidelineSkater

Same. Although here at Skate Canada, G/P just barely stayed ahead of L/L in the RD.

L/L just irritate me, from Marjorie’s wide smile regardless of the plot from the super-well known movie to Zachary trying too hard to be Scott Moir.
Ouch but so true. Even so I still want to like them despite their costumes.

skatingguy

decently

What movie?

Colonel Green

I have never seen Zach as trying to be Scott. His two on-ice personas so far have been "Mr. No-Fun" and "Mr. All-the-Fun", neither of which remind me much of Scott, and L/L have never aimed to be a V/M-style romantic team.

Colonel Green

Lajoie & Lagha aren't skating to West Side Story.
They're referring to the previous seasons' RD.

Though I don't agree with that either, they weren't doing a character piece there, they were skating to all the high-energy parts of the soundtrack. There's never been a requirement that programs emulate the story of the music they're skating to -- indeed, I'd say that a majority don't.

skatingguy

decently
They're referring to the previous seasons' RD.

Though I don't agree with that either, they weren't doing a character piece there, they were skating to all the high-energy parts of the soundtrack. There's never been a requirement that programs emulate the story of the music they're skating to -- indeed, I'd say that a majority don't.
I obviously didn't follow the comment to the previous program.

firstflight

I have never seen Zach as trying to be Scott. His two on-ice personas so far have been "Mr. No-Fun" and "Mr. All-the-Fun", neither of which remind me much of Scott, and L/L have never aimed to be a V/M-style romantic team.
I think we may be talking about similar things, just in very different ways. I’m not talking about romantic V/M. Not about them as a unit at all. I’m only talking about Moir’s very specific conception of what a male ice dancer should do in a Latin or 2017/2022 rhythm dance.

Dobre

So . . . round one is in the books and, yep, the battle among the young teams is definitely the highlight of this GP event for me. On to round two:).

Oh, also I finally saw the Batman program with the music (it always gets muted on youtube). I think the first piece is not bad, but maybe the 2nd?--the one about how sexy she is--I don't like. Also it really would be better if Carreira was just playing Catwoman. The only good Batman movie is the one with Catwoman anyway. I know they probably don't want to do that because they used the Cool Cat music before, but it's really OK. My cat would tell them there is no reason one should not aspire to be a cat more than once in one's life.

--I think people should lay off the Davis & Smolkin "rumor" already. It seems obvious to me that whoever spread the original rumor about this team got the whole rumor wrong & that it was never the Olympics D&S were getting an extra push for. That it was most likely about getting onto the GP. (Anyway, they're a nice little team at the beginning of their senior development and they don't need all this nonsense at this stage of their career).

--Stepanova & Bukin are still signed up for the Italian GP. Call me an optimist, but I think they'll show.🤞

I'm not reading anything into the scores from the Denis Ten event. I'm just not. Except that it's interesting that Scoptcova & Aleshin are ahead of Khudaberdieva & Bazin after the RD. Based on last year's Nationals, I'm guessing that Russia would like to know which of these two teams will come out ahead in an international event, and they're about to find out.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I’ve always gotten a Scott vibe from Zachary too. Part of the reason why I’ve never liked this team.

Dobre

Except that it's interesting that Scoptcova & Aleshin are ahead of Khudaberdieva & Bazin after the RD. Based on last year's Nationals, I'm guessing that Russia would like to know which of these two teams will come out ahead in an international event, and they're about to find out.
And Nazarova & Nikitin pulled up over Khudaberdieva & Bazin with the free. Skoptcova & Aleshin win the event.

Bigbird

And Nazarova & Nikitin pulled up over Khudaberdieva & Bazin with the free. Skoptcova & Aleshin win the event.
Yeah. Have you seen video? All of their scores are hilarious. LOL. But yeah, it's only a challenger. But I thought Finlandia was pretty brutal. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information