Unpopular Opinions

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
These may not all be unpopular, but here goes:

I will forever be PO'd about Tara Lipinski's OGM because she never did a true triple lutz in her life and should have been penalized for multiple triple flips in her program (her skating ankle rolled so far over to the inside edge when she picked in that it looked absolutely painful). Same for Sasha Cohen, but her own inconsistencies did her in.

I don't care if she was disliked for her personality, Nancy Kerrigan should have won the OGM in 1994 based on technical scores alone. I've seen Oksana Baiul skate live many times, and almost all of her triples had that same, quick two-footed landing she displayed in the Olympics. Maybe if the judges had actually paid attention to what her feet were doing...

I often wonder how Tonya Harding, Christopher Bowman, Nicole Bobek, and Johnny Weir might have ended up results and success wise if they had possessed the skating and practice discipline of a Yamaguchi or Lysacek.

And finally, I'm absolutely furious how Dalilah Sappenfield protected some of her skaters (especially John Coughlin) and allowed so many other skaters to be abused. I say this having had friends in pairs, where I heard for years about how she'd manipulate and switch partnerships around not just for medals but to support her favorites and her own personal desires regardless of who got hurt. I hope she gets nailed to the max in the legal system.

I’ve always said it’s a true crime one of the Olympic judges in Lillehammer he did not see Nancy Kerrigan do her triple triple in the free program I am like what? You didn’t see it… So you stepped out to the bathroom?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I’ve always said it’s a true crime one of the Olympic judges in Lillehammer he did not see Nancy Kerrigan do her triple triple in the free program I am like what? You didn’t see it… So you stepped out to the bathroom?
More than once I've heard it said that the judges were too busy watching Oksana's face and arms while ignoring what she actually doing on the ice, skate-wise.

AngieNikodinovLove

More than once I've heard it said that the judges were too busy watching Oksana's face and arms while ignoring what she actually doing on the ice, skate-wise.

For her free program ...rock around the clock? There’s nothing to watch with arms and stuff with that program it wasn’t till she started doing the swan and taking it more seriously she was a delight to watch

That year I think her short program was the swan and the free was the rock medley. That free program is not my taste at all

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
For her free program ...rock around the clock? There’s nothing to watch with arms and stuff with that program it wasn’t till she started doing the swan and taking it more seriously she was a delight to watch

That year I think her short program was the swan and the free was the rock medley. That free program is not my taste at all
I always felt sorry for the skaters who had to follow her in professional competitions and exhibitions. That "kneel on the ice and clutch the stomach looking to be in pain while milking applause" routine got old real fast. I would have wanted to slap her if I had to be the one to follow her.

VGThuy

Her LP was to a Broadway medley. It was Oksana Grishuk (with Evgeny Platov) who did the rock n' roll medley. Don't confuse to two Oksanas! ;)

AngieNikodinovLove

I always felt sorry for the skaters who had to follow her in professional competitions and exhibitions. That "kneel on the ice and clutch the stomach looking to be in pain while milking applause" routine got old real fast. I would have wanted to slap her if I had to be the one to follow her.

Lol, I mean you’re not wrong. That was a staple signature move of hers

AngieNikodinovLove

Her LP was to a Broadway medley. It was Oksana Grishuk (with Evgeny Platov) who did the rock n' roll medley. Don't confuse to two Oksanas! ;)

Lolll. No Oksana Baiul had a pink dress on for the free program that was still like a rock ‘n’ roll medley wasn’t it… Mind you I’m not drinking today so I should be pretty sharp

Whatever the free program was in a pink dress I was not a fan

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Lolll. No Oksana Baiul had a pink dress on for the free program that was still like a rock ‘n’ roll medley wasn’t it… Mind you I’m not drinking today so I should be pretty sharp

Agreed, as much as I don't like Nancy, she should have won that gold medal. That was the best performance she could possibly put out

VGThuy

The electrified pink poodle dress program was a Broadway medley. Irina Slutskaya would copy it two years later with a blue version of that dress but with Broadway pieces I, as a showtune afficianado, could not recognize at all!

Vagabond

Her LP was to a Broadway medley.
Indeed.
Lolll. No Oksana Baiul had a pink dress on for the free program that was still like a rock ‘n’ roll medley wasn’t it
Still working off the Kahlua overload from yesterday evening, are you? 🤨

I refuse to believe that under ordinary circumstances you would be unable to distinguish between Broadway tunes like "The Rain in Spain" and rock and roll.

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
The electrified pink poodle dress program was a Broadway medley. Irina Slutskaya would copy it two years later with a blue version of that dress but with Broadway pieces I, as a showtune afficianado, could not recognize at all!
I just watched Irina's LP. I barely recognized a very dumbed down muzaked version of part of WSS . I think the last piece was T&A from a Chorus line , which is an odd choice for a 16 year old🤔.
Then again Kwan did Salome that year and Tara Lipinski did skate to the Rainbow in 1998...

AngieNikodinovLove

Ahhhhhh ok

It’s funny how the mind remembers things differently as time passes by. I would’ve sworn oksana had a pink poodle dress on doing rock around the clock or something lol

AngieNikodinovLove

Indeed.

Still working off the Kahlua overload from yesterday evening, are you? 🤨

I refuse to believe that under ordinary circumstances you would be unable to distinguish between Broadway tunes like "The Rain in Spain" and rock and roll.

Well as a gay man I’m not really into Broadway, or show tunes… Or home decor… Or flowers…

My straight friends say I’m doing gay wrong. Lol

asdf334

1. Going back and rewatching it now, I don't think Orchid was really that much better than Love Story. What I mean is that while it's a beautiful program, the same flaws are there - large gaps where they skate apart with minimal / zero touching.

2. Never got the hype about Starr Andrews.

Sarrie

I like Johnny Weir as a commentator.

I’m not sure how controversial this is since the last few seasons but I prefer Chock/Bates over Hubbell/Donahue.

skylark

After struggling to figure it out, I finally realized what Alexa Knierim looks like during that lift where Brandon holds her overhead with just one hand on her thigh. She looks exactly like an iron weather vane atop a barn.

It always makes me sad to see it, because Haven Denney performed that lift with such grace, gentle fluidity and heartfelt joy. And yeah, I still miss Haven.:cry:

Japanfan

Who said it was okay for Frank Carroll? Lysacek's programs weren't to the same level that we see today when it comes to squeezing every last point out even when it distracts from the overall quality of the program, performance, and skating, but the scoring system was different back then, and there was no school of singles skating that was training young skaters to the level of technical difficulty we see from Eteri. The better example of that type of thing was the skate blade to head era of ice dance that led every female ice dancer to perform the same finishing position on every lift because it was a simple way to get a level. I think that this type of thing becomes frustrating because while it gives a bonus to the element in one way it detracts from the overall program in another way, but the scoring never reflects this.

I remember where there were spiral sequences under 6.0 - all the skaters did the same three spirals, basically, it was suprer boring.

But if it earned them points (there were such under 6.0, just not quantified numerically), why not? As someone posted above, the point is to win - or at least to get the best possible score, or earn a personal best.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I often wonder how Tonya Harding, Christopher Bowman, Nicole Bobek, and Johnny Weir might have ended up results and success wise if they had possessed the skating and practice discipline of a Yamaguchi or Lysacek. Let's just be honest here - they all underperformed compared to their talent.
I've grown to feel that supernatural talents like Tonya, Bowman, Bobek and Weir probably maxxed out their ability, considering their personality and constitution. What made them brilliant was their ability to seemingly do things so easily. Maybe they realized (or feared, really) that if they put in the grueling hours as everyone else that they wouldn't be as "special"? I think that's valid. Because we still are talking about them decades later.
And finally, I'm absolutely furious how Dalilah Sappenfield protected some of her skaters (especially John Coughlin) and allowed so many other skaters to be abused. I say this having had friends in pairs, where I heard for years about how she'd manipulate and switch partnerships around not just for medals but to support her favorites and her own personal desires regardless of who got hurt. I hope she gets nailed to the max in the legal system.
I think this opinion should be number one on THE MOST POPULAR OPINION list.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Also, how Robin Wagner claimed that Sarah Hughes' egregious flutzes were "not a technical error, but a visual one" and promptly moved her flutzes to a place on the ice that it is most disguised. And got away with it.... I would expect a judge no matter where s/he is sitting to recognize a HughesFlutzTM anywhere/anytime/anyhow if they are competent. Obviously many judges aren't.

screech

2. Never got the hype about Starr Andrews.
Me neither.

I like Johnny Weir as a commentator.

I’m not sure how controversial this is since the last few seasons but I prefer Chock/Bates over Hubbell/Donahue.
Same here on both counts. Johnny can be insightful, and IMO doesn't yammer quite as much as Tara. And H/D have never done it for me at all.

While I still prefer Moore-Towers/Moskovitch, I don't think Moore-Towers/Marinaro deserve the hatred that some fans of the previous partnership still give them.
I find Kostoranaya's 'beauty' in her skating to be incredibly overrated, and don't find her expression/presentation any better than the average skater.

AngieNikodinovLove

Also, how Robin Wagner claimed that Sarah Hughes' egregious flutzes were "not a technical error, but a visual one" and promptly moved her flutzes to a place on the ice that it is most disguised. And got away with it.... I would expect a judge no matter where s/he is sitting to recognize a HughesFlutzTM anywhere/anytime/anyhow if they are competent. Obviously many judges aren't.

You’re just begging for a slap aren’t you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information