Skate Canada 2021- All the details you want to know

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Since there is a SkAm thread of its own, I figured this is just as necessary. It looks like SkCan is going to be jam-packed and probably the GP of the season. So there might be a lot of interest in attending. But with the delta-variant just getting into Canada might not be possible. Could we have all things SkCan here in its own separate thread? I think it would be most helpful for the group. Especially those that are on the fence in making plans or not. Thanks!! -EW

ross_hy

I know a lot can change between now and October, but the lineup for this competition makes it so enticing. If I wanted to start looking for hotels, what's the best area to look in that's conveient to both the arena and public transit? It looks like the arena is served by bus but not train.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's press release for 2021 Skate Canada International (Oct. 30, 2020):
"... Vancouver, British Columbia, will host the 47th Skate Canada International. The event will take place at the arena at Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre from October 29 – 31, 2021."

Re-posting here from the 2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced thread:
Tweeted by Skate Canada yesterday [June 29] in response to more than one fan: https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/1410009991210323975
"We will be releasing further details about SCI, including ticket information, in the coming months! Stay tuned ⛸🙂"

For those interested, Skate Canada's volunteer application deadline for SCI is September 27, 2021.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I know a lot can change between now and October, but the lineup for this competition makes it so enticing. If I wanted to start looking for hotels, what's the best area to look in that's conveient to both the arena and public transit? It looks like the arena is served by bus but not train.

The Skytrain and Canada Line in Vancouver don't go anywhere near UBC, and there aren't many hotels near the arena either. Most of the hotels in downtown Vancouver are near one or both rapid transit lines. You can take either one to Broadway and then catch an express or local bus to UBC. There's only a few hotels on Broadway itself - the one that comes to mind first is the Holiday Inn near Vancouver General Hospital.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
There is a Park Inn near the general hospital too, I stayed there for the GPF. The area was ok, there was even a breakfast restaurant within walking distance.

I did drive though, so Idk how public transport is from Broadway.

mattiecat13

At GPF a few years ago, a friend and I stayed at on-campus housing for guests just a few blocks from the arena. Easy walking distance and there were several restaurants nearby.

Japanfan

UBC buses run fairly regularly in the daytime, though less regularly in the evening. I'm sure taxis will be lined up after the event.

Also, there is a bus stop very close to the arena.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There are lots of buses that stop in front of Thunderbird Arena and a major bus depot on campus a 10-minute walk away. I don't know what happened to the bus schedule during cv, but pre-cv, I used to take the 99 Express bus until at least midnight. Events on the west coast tend to take place early for TV broadcasts to the east coast anyway, and the buses always ran after we'd had post-event dinners, sometimes in the area by the depot.

Susy

At GPF a few years ago, a friend and I stayed at on-campus housing for guests just a few blocks from the arena. Easy walking distance and there were several restaurants nearby.
I stayed there as well during GPF. It's walking distance to arena. It's not "campus" cheap though. I think I'm paying $185-$195 per night during Skate Canada dates.

Colleen

Have attended several events at this venue - Canadians, and I think GP Final (?)? We stayed downtown and drove out to UBC. We found parking without difficulty - leaving was often a gong show so we learned to just go out for something to eat and wait for traffic to clear. Bus service is good, especially if things continue to go a they are and in person classes are happening in the fall. It seems to me that events ended fairly early in the evening. It will be great to see in person skating again - hope tickets aren't too hard to get!

Sylvia

TBD
Not sure when this update re. tickets was posted here: https://skatecanada.ca/2021-skate-canada-international/#tab-id-1

At this time, tickets are not available for Autumn Classic International [Sept. 16-18, in Pierrefonds QC] and Skate Canada International. Skate Canada continues to closely monitor the provincial and federal health authorities’ position on the global health crisis, including international travel restrictions and event capacity. We are committed to the health and safety of the athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers, and spectators. If tickets are to be sold for these events, information will be released as soon as it is confirmed.

shutterbug

Skate Canada has announced their media accreditation policy for Skate Canada International: https://skatecanada.ca/2021/10/media-accreditation-skate-canada-international/

Skate Canada International will be held in person, but due to the pandemic and health regulations most media members will be off site. Skate Canada will allow a small number of TV Rights Holders on site as well as Skate Canada’s photographer and the ISU’s photographer on site. Skate Canada looks forward to hosting media in a virtual setting for this year’s event.

Given this info I think it's a pretty safe bet that spectators will not be allowed to attend. 😭 Not really unexpected, but I'm still a little 💔 that my one chance to see Nathan Chen live is gone.

The Accordion

Panja

Jackie Wong more or less confirmed this just right before his interview with the wonderful Spanish pair.

Judy

Booooooo. What are vaccine passports for then? Great sadness.
Hmmm different things for different provinces. Vaccine passports are the only way to go. I know out west loosened controls way, way too early. I know in my city once kids can be vaccinated can likely reach herd immunity. I shook my head when I heard what the conservatives were doing out there.

Aaron MB Fan

Just got an email a few minutes ago from Skate Canada announcing that a limited number of all-event tickets for Skate Canada International 2021 will go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 10 am EDT. So looks like fans will finally be allowed!

ETA: Thanks to @victorskid - It is a "restricted" sale for tomorrow and open to the public on Wednesday.

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Just got an email a few minutes ago from Skate Canada announcing that a limited number of all-event tickets for Skate Canada International 2021 will go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 10 am EDT. So looks like fans will finally be allowed!

The Skate Canada website isn't yet updated, and the email clicked to a dead link for me on ticketmaster.ca. I couldn't find the content on ticketmaster.ca, but I assume it will be updated soon.
It is a "restricted" sale for tomorrow and open to the public on Wednesday :)

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

ETA: Thanks to @victorskid - It is a "restricted" sale for tomorrow and open to the public on Wednesday.
Will we know how many seats are available? I mean if no one has seats yet, I might try to make a trip out of it. I hope they aren't going to be like scalped-prices if the demand overweighs the supply.

luckiest1

The email says
To all our dedicated skating fans, we are so pleased to announce that a limited number of all-event tickets for 2021 Skate Canada International will go on sale, Tuesday, October 19, 2021, at 10 am EDT. This will be a 24-hour pre sale exclusive for Skate Canada Registrants and Fans. On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, at 10 am EDT, all-event tickets will go on sale to the general public. Thank you for your continuous support during the pandemic and we cannot wait to see some of you in person later this month.

All-Event ticket packages will include all competitions and the exhibition gala. Practices are closed to the general public. Fans will be able to choose from seats in the lower portion of the bowl for $300 CAD and in the higher portion of the bowl for $250 CAD plus applicable fees and taxes. Tickets can be purchased online at ticketmaster.ca or by phone at 1-855-985-5000. Please note, a maximum of eight tickets can be purchased per individual.

This event will not have a Super Fan Section, but we do look forward to bringing this back to future events.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
$300 for an All Event ticket???? Man, now I might go. Oh schit, my new passport isn't here yet. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information