2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Rock2

You could be correct but, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they pull out of this weekend's comp because of an injury?
Not exactly, no.

Word on the street is W/M have had a good summer and 'won' high-performance camp (in part bc the bar was set pretty low by our other top teams).
I may not be 100% accurate on this, but I think they have upgraded lifts and throws and do a 3 jump combination. We'll see what they put out in the GP. They need to just freaking go for it - the Olympic spot is there if they decide they want it.

clairecloutier

One thing to keep in mind with Walsh/Michaud is that they often skate their best at Canadian Nationals. I think they've hit the peak of their season there at least twice. So there's that. (Whereas Canadian Natls is going to be a whole new thing for Vanessa.)

Vase

I fear Walsh may struggle competing against J/R. She seems to struggle the first of each season and peaks at nationals/Worlds. But W/M missed the visual challenge event, didn’t they and now this event. I would think they’d want to take every opportunity they can to compete and it don’t seem to be what they are doing. They are not listed for the performance opportunity this coming week.
And J/R have been out twice competing this season already.

But I agree I’m not a fan of J/R program, and they are not doing anything spectacular to match the scoring.

I’m gonna hope to see a Canadian pair team mAKe me say WOW this season.

Rock2

One thing to keep in mind with Walsh/Michaud is that they often skate their best at Canadian Nationals. I think they've hit the peak of their season there at least twice. So there's that. (Whereas Canadian Natls is going to be a whole new thing for Vanessa.)
Unsure if that's their natural performance trajectory though. One year Trennt was battling injuries early in the season and another year they were testing out new elements (throw and sbs 3L) with limited success. Artificially suppressed results when they tried to get organized for the GP. Hoping for a better GP from them this year.

mackiecat

Though they are both switching to pairs rather late in their careers, I can't help but feel a bit excited about this. Emmanuelle has the goods to be a pair girl; great personality and presence on the ice. I do wonder how Nic at nearly 24 will transition to lifting, but I am very intrigued to see what this will produce.
They don’t seem to be entered in either Ontario or Quebec Sectionals

Vase

I’d like to see all the teams competing at challenge. I’m sure we won’t but hard to have an opinion when they are not in events together.

karmena

Have not seen any skating yet and I am out of loop for a longer time now; so just checked the results of SP at Finladia Trophy and was glad to see that J/R is in third. No Chopin of course :cry: ( Julie, why do you want them to be nothing?)... and in third; a good result.

Hope for M-T/M to re-bounce; seems they had a bad start (?)

angi

The scoring for both J/R and MT/M is questionable at best. J/R looked much better here than in ACI but they were still slow and have an empty program in terms of transitions and overall choreography, they also stepped out of the throw and she had a 3Sq that wasn't called. MT/M had a fall on the throw and their usual subpar twist but also had a much stronger program which was overall better executed. Between the PCS difference and how MT/M were lowballed here, I'm guessing they are feeling pretty disheartened right now.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's a shame about the throw because I think that messed up their next element, step sequence, and they had to rush through the program. Would have been interesting to see a clean throw to see what the judges did with the two teams because I thought overall MTM looked much better and had a much better program. J/R got some reputation PCS or what they put out there today.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
No one mentioned their potential though. What they put on the ice today and the material they have didn't warrant their total score or the PCS they got. When it will I'll be fine with their scores.

Why shouldn’t their PCS scores be what they got. I agree with it. They’ve been on the scene and are much more mature skaters then the world champions. Maybe transitions should be higher for the world champions. I mean both Eric and Vanessa had been on podiums for a decade. It’s not like just because they’re a brand new team together they just learned to figure skate

🥰🙆🏻‍♂️😎

angi

Why shouldn’t their PCS scores be what they got. I agree with it. They’ve been on the scene and are much more mature skaters then the world champions. Maybe transitions should be higher for the world champions. I mean both Eric and Vanessa had been on podiums for a decade. It’s not like just because they’re a brand new team together they just learned to figure skate

🥰🙆🏻‍♂️😎
Because their program is empty and has fewer transitions than most other teams in the top 8, because they are still gaining their stamina and are currently slow, because they made errors that should be reflected in their skating skills mark. Being on a podium with other partners in the past is not relevant. They are not currently at the level they used to be in and they should be scored for what they produce. I have the same issue with Mishina/Gallianov here who got basically identical PCS with a fall to the much superior Tarasova/Morozov only because they are the reigning world champions. Skaters should be scored for what they put on the ice.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I agree about what you said with the transitions as I mentioned that before but I don’t have a problem with their PCS and I’m not an Uber of this team

I don’t really see an inflation in their score.

I see more people complaining about their music but I mean every team and skater is using depressing downer Emo music so if we’re gonna complain about their music we have to complain about the entire sport. Lol

litenkyckling

I think M-T/M's programme is far superior - and when Kirsten's throws are on, they're ON. Twist doesn't look great though. I'd have their PCS much higher - but hoping for a bounceback tomorrow. J/R's programme is a snooze that they frankly don't sell it all that well. Getting stupid high SS scores yet such experienced skaters and they get a level 2 on the step sequence? On the pairs elements - fine you're new to eachother but on the steps? Thats where they should truly be proving their worth at this point.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
One can objectively critique what they saw today without it being equated with trying to talk down J/R.

As someone who was excited when this partnership was announced and had visions of grandeur dancing in my head imagining what they will create I am looking and critiquing a team on the basis of how they fit into the Canadian pair standings and how they compare directly to their Canadian rivals. At this point in time comparing the two SP side by side I think MTM have the much better program and elements, obviously not the twist.

barbarafan

It's a shame about the throw because I think that messed up their next element, step sequence, and they had to rush through the program. Would have been interesting to see a clean throw to see what the judges did with the two teams because I thought overall MTM looked much better and had a much better program. J/R got some reputation PCS or what they put out there today.
I looked at the results but have not seen the programs. Has anyone found a place to see them where you do not need to pay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information