2022 Four Continents Comes To Rude Euro Land (Relocation to Tallinn)

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I'm reminded of when several US skaters like Joelle Forte attempted to apply for citizenship to Azerbaijan.

For anyone with duel citizenship, why not compete at Europeans one week, and Four Continents the next!
Not to be a party pooper, but logistically it’s impossible to represent two federations in one season, never mind one week after the other. See ISU Rule 109.

And it’s dual citizenship, not duel citizenship. The passports are not fighting each other. :p

Panja

Not to be a party pooper, but logistically it’s impossible to represent two federations in one season, never mind one week after the other. See ISU Rule 109.

And it’s dual citizenship, not duel citizenship. The passports are not fighting each other. :p
I thought it was intentional to use duel instead of dual (was thinking about Candeloro doing a duel on the ice or even about Federations duelling for the top spot). Makes for some nice jokes in any case.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thanks Phil.

If you're good, I'll bake you my famous bundt cake.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The person who posted it isn’t that clever. ;)
I've reported your abuse to Sharon, btw.

kalamalka

I'm really tempted to try to figure out a way to go. The 4CCs I've been to (the first was the very first, Halifax 1999, and the most recent Pyeongchang 2017 although not many in between) have been great competitions, and the last in-person event I was at was Junior Worlds in Tallinn in 2020 (flew home on the day the pandemic was declared). Tallinn is a lovely small city, with excellent transit and very decent prices. Even though I don't expect most of the top skaters to be there, it would be a great week of skating in a good setting.

I get very tired of the Euros vs 4CC arguments. In non-Olympic years, almost all the top skaters go to 4CC. Canada and the US hold their national championships in January, and have done so for much longer than I have been a skate fan (which goes back 50 years or so). These are far bigger than European national championships - even Russian - involving hundreds of skaters and volunteers - and the culmination of multiple rounds of competitions in various regions. It is simply not possible to hold such events in North America between early/mid-December and at the earliest the first full week after New Year's (aside from Christmas per se, travel costs are prohibitive and you wouldn't be able to get volunteers). In Canada, we have Sectionals in the first couple of weeks of November, and the Challenge (nationals qualifier) usually over the first weekend in December. Both Canada and the US have tried a few different approaches to the qualifying process and which levels are included in "nationals", and Canada is changing things again next season, but moving nationals before Christmas is just not going to happen.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
For fans who can & wish to travel internationally, this is a truly unique opportunity to attend two major ISU competitions back-to-back...assuming that spectators will be allowed. For me, there’s the Peacock...my best friend in January! 🦚

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
@kalamalka I read about Tallin being the 4 CC site, literally 2 hours post scheduling/paying for a trip with our friends.
If I hadn't done that, I would have tried to see if I could make it work.

Sylvia

TBD
Bumping this thread back up because I noticed the 4CC Announcement is published: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-championships-tallinn-2022-announcement/file

20. SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Tuesday, January 18, 2022
All day Official Practice
10:00 MEN – Technical Panel Meeting
12:15 ICE DANCE – Technical Panel Meeting
16:00 Team Leaders Meeting
16:45 PAIRS – Technical Panel Meeting
17:30 Medical Meeting
19:00 WOMEN – Technical Panel Meeting

Wednesday, January 19
All day Official Practice
09:30 Referee & Technical Controllers Meeting
10:30 ICE DANCE – Initial Judges Meeting
13:30 PAIRS – Initial Judges Meeting
16:15 WOMEN – Initial Judges Meeting

Thursday, January 20
08:30 MEN – Initial Judges Meeting
10:30 ICE DANCE – Rhythm Dance
13:45 PAIRS – Short Program
16:45 Opening Ceremony on Ice
17:35 WOMEN – Short Program

Friday, January 21
10:45 MEN – Short Program
17:05 ICE DANCE – Free Dance
20:30 ICE DANCE – Technical Panel Review Meeting

Saturday, January 22
09:00 ICE DANCE - Judges Round Table Discussion
12:00 WOMEN – Free Skating
17:00 WOMEN – Technical Panel Review Meeting
17:20 PAIRS – Free Skating
20:30 PAIRS - Technical Panel Review Meeting

Sunday, January 23
08:00 WOMEN – Judges Round Table Discussion
10:15 PAIRS – Judges Round Table Discussion
10:50 MEN – Free Skating
15:15 MEN – Technical Panel Review Meeting
15:30 EXHIBITION
18:00 MEN – Judges Round Table Discussion

Please note: This schedule is subject to change

ISU's event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...figure-skating-championships?templateParam=11

ETA the link to my post from October with USFS' 10-page 2022 4CC selection criteria document linked: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...cation-to-tallinn.108605/page-12#post-6070176

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
So does everybody truly think that the Beijing Olympics will happen? If so...at the current dates in Feb?

As for a rescheduled 4Cs event - Las Vegas seems to be the “old Reliable” that has the “***** hosting” down to a science.
If the Beijing Olympics happen a miracle (I am talking loaves and fishes here) will have happened.

pat c

I'm really tempted to try to figure out a way to go. The 4CCs I've been to (the first was the very first, Halifax 1999, and the most recent Pyeongchang 2017 although not many in between) have been great competitions, and the last in-person event I was at was Junior Worlds in Tallinn in 2020 (flew home on the day the ********* was declared). Tallinn is a lovely small city, with excellent transit and very decent prices. Even though I don't expect most of the top skaters to be there, it would be a great week of skating in a good setting.
I went to 4C's in Colorado Springs. It still remains to this date as one of my fav comps that I've gone to. So, you go and have a blast. :) Send voids.

kalamalka

I went to 4C's in Colorado Springs. It still remains to this date as one of my fav comps that I've gone to. So, you go and have a blast. :) Send voids.
Unfortunately, with all the new travel restrictions, an international trip in January is not looking very realistic for me - unless things settle down with Omicron quite quickly. (it's the extra time/expense/hassle to quarantine on return to Canada with the new arrival testing)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The ever changing background picture on my desktop this AM was a scene from the Estonian coastline.

VGThuy

What are the chances that some 4CC will make the long trip to Estonia to compete at 4CC now that the GPF has been canceled? I know chances are still slim but maybe they're a little bit higher for some now.

Rhumba d’Amour

What are the chances that some 4CC will make the long trip to Estonia to compete at 4CC now that the GPF has been canceled? I know chances are still slim but maybe they're a little bit higher for some now.
I would suggest that if it looks increasingly likely that the Olympics will be postponed or cancelled, an assignment to 4CC this year might be more attractive than it ordinarily would be to any North American skater.

VGThuy

I would suggest that if it looks increasingly likely that the Olympics will be postponed or cancelled, an assignment to 4CC this year might be more attractive than it ordinarily would be to any North American skater.
You think so?

Rhumba d’Amour

You think so?
You know the old saying about “a bird in the hand?” If 4CC looks like a sure thing, and the Olympics does not, I could see skaters being pleased to have at least that opportunity to compete.

Naturally they’d rather go to the Olympics, if they felt confident both would happen. But there are so many unknowns these days!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Guys, the Olympics aren't getting postponed. But, if for some reason everything goes further toward hell in a handbasket in the next month then we're going to be staring down a situation where Euros and 4CCs will most definitely have also been canceled.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Guys, the Olympics aren't getting postponed. But, if for some reason everything goes further toward hell in a handbasket in the next month then we're going to be staring down a situation where Euros and 4CCs will most definitely have also been canceled.
This. The Olympics are going to go on regardless. There may be really long quarantine times or something idk. But I would bet good money on it not getting postponed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information