2022 Four Continents Comes To Rude Euro Land (Relocation to Tallinn)

sap5

LOL! Agreed. I said this in the 2021 GP thread when Italy was announced as the new host for the cancelled CoC GP and it bears repeating, I think the ISU GP Commission should take away China's permanent host status and award it to Italy or turn it into one where any ISU federation can bid to host it each season. China isn't so vastly superior and stronger as a skating nation than several other countries, IMO, except in Pairs.
That won't happen, considering that China will probably be hosting the Winter Olympics the most often in the future.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Canada is open or will be soon to all foreign travellers who are fully vaccinated.

So competitors could come if vaccinated.

Many provinces have vaccination passports in place for large events so an audience would be possible.

Not sure if Skate Canada would do it on such short notice though.
But it's in January following the holiday season where if there is a new highly contagious variant the government will restrict things again. If I were on SC board I wouldn't be considering it, I'd be trying to make sure we had a Nationals instead.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just to add regarding the Olympics -- Japan has already successfully hosted the Summer Olympics; the CCP will never tacitly say that they're less capable than the Japanese government.
This. They have actually criticized the C19 protocols that the Tokyo organizers implemented. They are hellbent on proving they can do it better. Which is a freaking funny way of proving your superiority when your country unleashed the crud on the world to begin with.

That won't happen, considering that China will probably be hosting the Winter Olympics the most often in the future.
Doubt it. Unless the IOC wants to kill the OWG permanently. It will be a long, long time before China hosts another Olympics, Summer or Winter.

skategal

Bunny mama
But it's in January following the holiday season where if there is a new highly contagious variant the government will restrict things again. If I were on SC board I wouldn't be considering it, I'd be trying to make sure we had a Nationals instead.
Yeah I’m not saying it’s smart. Just possible. :lol:

You never know, Alberta might take it. They take a lot of events that are homeless. :lol:

They just had the Women’s World Hockey there.

Karen-W

What makes you think that?
Because Beijing 2008 and Sochi 2014 are roundly criticized as host city selections for propping up authoritarian regimes as well as for the massive infrastructure costs associated with building the venues necessary to host. China has lost a tremendous amount of credibility in the global community and as long as there are other options that put themselves forward as host options, I expect the IOC will do its best to avoid China. I don't think we can expect China to host another Olympics until the 2040s at the earliest, maybe even the 2050s.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Who in their right mind desires a Four Continents Championship in an Olympic year? Aside from the losers at American and Canadian Nationals,of course.

Retroactively give Cranberry Cup major championship status for this season and call it a day.

-BB

saturdaysun

Because Beijing 2008 and Sochi 2014 are roundly criticized as host city selections for propping up authoritarian regimes as well as for the massive infrastructure costs associated with building the venues necessary to host. China has lost a tremendous amount of credibility in the global community and as long as there are other options that put themselves forward as host options, I expect the IOC will do its best to avoid China. I don't think we can expect China to host another Olympics until the 2040s at the earliest, maybe even the 2050s.
Say you're an American without saying you're an American.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If one were to guess wouldn't the US be the most likely to remain open to travel of the possible hosting countries?
What about Europe? There seem to be many countries there that are relatively back to normal and doing better than the US in terms of crud control.

Because Beijing 2008 and Sochi 2014 are roundly criticized as host city selections for propping up authoritarian regimes
The IOC doesn't give a crap about that. As shown by their actions.

as well as for the massive infrastructure costs associated with building the venues necessary to host.
Why would the IOC care about that either? The Chinese people might care and it might cause China not to bid on future events as readily. But if they bid, the IOC seems quite willing to pick them.

I can see the ISU deciding not to give China some events for a while as they probably feel screwed over at this point. But the IOC doesn't seem to have any beef with them that I can see.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Who in their right mind desires a Four Continents Championship in an Olympic year? Aside from the losers at American and Canadian Nationals,of course.

Retroactively give Cranberry Cup major championship status for this season and call it a day.

-BB
So no Europeans in an Olympic year?

screech

Rather than trying to have such a quick turnaround and host the event in January, what about having 4CC in between O's and Worlds. Or after Worlds in early April?
This year, I doubt many countries would be using it as a 'skate off' between competitors to determine Olympics entries, so it will likely be mostly the '2nd tier' skaters from each country competing anyway. If between O's and Worlds, it could be used to decide who goes to Worlds in place of Olympic athletes who opt out. Or if after, it could be a chance for skaters with less international experience to get out on the stage.

Karen-W

Say you're an American without saying you're an American.
Say you know nothing about current world politics without saying you don't pay attention to current events? 🙄 Maybe read up a bit on how Canada is leading the discussions on a diplomatic boycott of the upcoming OWG. Or read up on the tensions between China and pretty much every other country that borders the South China Sea. Or, or, or... Do, please, try not to assume that just because I'm an American I'm parroting a bunch of idiot politicians.

The bigger issue for the IOC, regardless of whether or not Bach and his cronies have no personal beef with China or are perfectly fine being in bed with authoritarian regimes, is that they need some of these democratic, first world nations to step up and want to host the Games. They have a major problem and remaining tight with the likes of China isn't helping them gain any sort of credibility with those other nations who could offer to host the Olympics.

Beyond that, right now, it's pretty clear the IOC is looking to line up Sapporo, SLC, and Vancouver in some order for 2030, 2034, and 2038. They would gladly slot Oslo in there if they can get Norway on board. And Barcelona/Pyrenees is trying to put something together (though that is a challenge due to the Catalonia question). If the ISU had its way, the earliest opportunity for another China OWG will be 2050 and by then Almaty might be truly ready. On the Summer front... there are lots of options lining up and China won't be in the mix for 2036 and probably not under consideration for 2040 either.

There are a lot of reasons why China isn't likely to host another Olympics before the 2040s, maybe the 2050s, and I firmly believe that the IOC will do its best to avoid engaging China in serious talks about hosting another edition of either the Summer or Winter Games through at least the rest of this decade.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I think 4cc in Europe would be kind of hilarious. It'd kind of harken back to when Dick Button won Europeans, despite not being European. ;)

The US... is a real option. It's unlikely the US will shut down again on a wide scale, and it seems like most states also aren't interested in implementing a shut down. So they could put it in a state where the Covid vaccine rate is high, like Massachusetts. Or where it's most likely to go despite the fact that I'd be all yet again another event in Vegas?, to Vegas.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Yes, I'm an American, stipulated. I also think Karen has some good points, although avoiding authoritarian governments ain't gonna be easy. Just looking at recent Olys, Brazil, Russia and China would definitely be out and the US would be questionable 2016-2020. I don't think Poland, Hungary, Israel or South Africa have considered hosting an Oly but they are certainly in democratic recession.

Karen-W

Yes, I'm an American, stipulated. I also think Karen has some good points, although avoiding authoritarian governments ain't gonna be easy. Just looking at recent Olys, Brazil, Russia and China would definitely be out and the US would be questionable 2016-2020. I don't think Poland, Hungary, Israel or South Africa have considered hosting an Oly but they are certainly in democratic recession.
Hungary has actually thrown out bids for Budapest in recent bid cycles, and also stated an interest in hosting in 2036. I doubt they'll get selected but Orban is trying.

And, as much as you dislike Trump, the US is NOT an authoritarian regime and wasn't one during his Presidency. At least, not anymore so than it was during the preceding administration with its infamous IRS and Justice Dept investigation of political foes. Seriously, next you'll be telling us that Great Britain and Australia are edging toward authoritarianism just because they have conservative-leaning governments.

Taso

Rather than trying to have such a quick turnaround and host the event in January, what about having 4CC in between O's and Worlds. Or after Worlds in early April?
This year, I doubt many countries would be using it as a 'skate off' between competitors to determine Olympics entries, so it will likely be mostly the '2nd tier' skaters from each country competing anyway. If between O's and Worlds, it could be used to decide who goes to Worlds in place of Olympic athletes who opt out. Or if after, it could be a chance for skaters with less international experience to get out on the stage.
I love this idea.

Karen-W

I love this idea.
When, between the Olympics ending and Worlds, should it be held? Jr Worlds are scheduled for 2 weeks after the O's end and 2 weeks before Worlds starts. Would you want 4CCs right after the Olympics end? And while that might benefit countries with deep talent in several or all of the disciplines, how would it be fair to the ones that have maybe one skater with the TES minimums?

And, post-Worlds is an even worse idea. Fields would be even more depleted and most skaters are ready for a very necessary vacation by the time the Olympic season ends.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Norwood would work for the typical Taipei- or Seoul-level attendance at 4CCs. LOL. :D

For turnout like Anaheim 2019 4CCs, though, it would be too small.

Las Vegas again??

P.S. It will be a bit ironic if Taipei comes to the rescue ....
Don't we have a couple of places in the North Bay that would work?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And, post-Worlds is an even worse idea.
If it's not to happen before Worlds, it might as well not happen at all.
I think 4cc in Europe would be kind of hilarious. It'd kind of harken back to when Dick Button won Europeans, despite not being European. ;)
It also is similar to when Israel and Puerto Rico Nationals happen in New Jersey. :D

On My Own

I think if the US hosted it, there would be very few top level competitors. It's less than a month before Beijing Olympics, which probably means a lot of the top tier skaters from Asia will simply not go, which already means fewer spectators will be pulled towards attending the event. Further, US Nationals being only a few days before an American 4CC will mean that most Americans will opt for Nationals tickets. Top tier Americans will likely not attend the event, either, as they usually skip 4CCs in the Olympic year, and let the B-team go (unless Vincent Zhou and Alysa Liu would like to add a major senior title to their collection before the Olympics, I guess).

The attractive part about keeping 4CCs in Asia before Beijing OWG was that it will still get some of the top tier skaters from Japan, Korea, and China, who will treat it as a warm-up event, without having to go halfway across the world. It will still likely pull the B-tier American team that will attend 4CC anyway. Assuming spectators are allowed at this event, it will pull an Asian audience that wanted to go to the OWG, but can't because spectators aren't allowed. So personally, I hope an Asian country gets it, but recognize their policies might interfere with a bid.

(Sorry if I messed up any of the details about when and where the competitions happen, or if spectators are or aren't allowed. 😓)

Last edited:

DaveRocks

Eh?
Yeah, I figured this was kind of likely, when you consider the crazy measures they're putting in place for the Olympics.
What measures have they put in place for Beijing 2022? I'm having a hard time finding any specific info online. Thanks for anywhere you can point me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information