Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

sap5

Well, by risking or damaging her legacy, she is risking never making any money in shows, which is pretty damaging. She would have made a lot of money with Massot
Maybe she doesn't want to do shows? Show skating is very different from competitive skating, and if competition/the training grind is what she enjoys, she may feel like show skating isn't what she wants anyway.

Yuri

Back in the day, I remember when the hype machine kicked into gear with the pairing of Shae-Lynne Bourne and Peter Tchernyshev (after both of their respective eligible careers ended). They even scored the cover of BLADES ON ICE with their announcement. It was a bit embarrassing for everyone involved when nothing came of the partnership, and they never actually competed.
Actually Oksana also considered an Olympic comeback with Peter after his partnership with Naomi ended, and they would have targeted the 2006 Olympics when she still would have been in her mid-30's. Not sure who would have switched countries, but IIRC it was the Russian Fed who wouldn't release her. Of course, Oksana and Peter were partnered briefly in early 1992 when she left Dubova's camp in Lake Placid to return to Moscow to train with Linichuk. Evgeny's partnership with the very young Tatyana Navka wasn't working out so, as we all know, he reunited with Oksana under Linichuk & Karponosov and the rest is history... 🥇🥇

And then there were Pasha (Grishuk) and Sasha (Zhulin) who did one pro tour and that was it.
I don't remember them ever touring together, just competing at a Pro-Am they won in Greenville SC and then their confrontation with Maya & Evgeny in Washington DC at the 1998 World Pros. Champions on Ice didn't take them, so their partnership dissolved.

Back on topic, Oksana would have still been younger than Aljona for the 2006 Olympics...but not if her 2007-08 reunion with Evgeny in the Russian Dancing with the Stars competition had extended to the 2010 Olympics! :GnP1:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't remember them ever touring together, just competing at a Pro-Am they won in Greenville SC and then their confrontation with Maya & Evgeny in Washington DC at the 1998 World Pros. Champions on Ice didn't take them, so their partnership dissolved.

I saw them on the one tour they were part of. Possibly SOI Canada.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I thought that Congress delayed the broad fix to apply to everyone who got caught up by the rule change, and her congressman got it passed to apply only to her and those up against the Olympic deadline by name.

Xela M

love Natalia Mishkutenok, but she apparently has a daughter that is a talented pairs girl (would LOVE to see her go all the way!) so what's her interest in Aliona and TJ?

Sylvia

TBD
I don't believe Natalia's daughter, Natasha, is currently still skating/competing.

ETA: She last competed and won the Novice title at the Pairs Final in November 2019; her previous partner skated with someone else this past season.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I thought that Congress delayed the broad fix to apply to everyone who got caught up by the rule change, and her congressman got it passed to apply only to her and those up against the Olympic deadline by name.

That's how I remember it... that it only applied to her and Maxim Zavozin, but Matthews/Zavozin didn't end up making the team anyway. I thought it was attached to some appropriations bill.

dogbert

Aljona and Nyman work on lifts - posted by TSL.

Dear God - this gets more bizarre by the hour

How does Dave Lease even get this footage?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Aljona and Nyman work on lifts - posted by TSL.

Dear God - this gets more bizarre by the hour

I didn't watch the 10 minute segment, just about 60-90 seconds. It really look like normal pair lift practice.

Debbie S

It's from the rink's Live Barn feed. Live Barn is a video company that a lot of rinks use to broadcast hockey games....except that they usually just keep the camera on 24/7. Usually you need to sign up for a (paid) account to watch the feeds. Dave may have an account or maybe someone with an account sent it to him.

soogar

I didn't watch the 10 minute segment, just about 60-90 seconds. It really look like normal pair lift practice.
They were having trouble on it. Really it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. It seems as if they have really good ice conditions. They practically had the ice to themselves. In the stroking footage they only shared the ice with one other pair.

Lacey

I have not yet commented on this situation--until I saw this video.

It's his height, that's what she went after--pure, plain and simple.

If she can get him to skate and lift and throw her, and add some speed, she might have gotten what she wanted, a partner--someone to show her off.

He will lift her up high, and she will be noticed.

If he can't do any of the above, well then, what was the point?

Meh.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
This is the problem with public opinion. How many sexual assault victims are treated as not innocent by public opinion? The justice system fails victims, and so does public opinion.

So your alternative is that we assume that the 99% of sexual assault victims whose abusers are never found guilty in a court of law are seen as liars and we all just collectively agree to trust those 99% of perpetrators who are not found guilty in a court of law because, well, they were never found guilty so that means they are innocent?

sap5

So your alternative is that we assume that the 99% of sexual assault victims whose abusers are never found guilty in a court of law are seen as liars and we all just collectively agree to trust those 99% of perpetrators who are not found guilty in a court of law because, well, they were never found guilty so that means they are innocent?
No. Where did I say that was my alternative? All I said is that public opinion isn't a good alternative. That doesn't mean there can't be something between public opinion and the justice system that could actually be a good alternative.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
No. Where did I say that was my alternative? All I said is that public opinion isn't a good alternative. That doesn't mean there can't be something between public opinion and the justice system that could actually be a good alternative.

I feel like this is completely disingenuous. We are human beings. Human beings are going to form opinions. That opinion doesn't have to be held to the same standard as the justice system.

caseyedwards

Yes. Innocent until proven guilty

sap5

I feel like this is completely disingenuous. We are human beings. Human beings are going to form opinions. That opinion doesn't have to be held to the same standard as the justice system.
It's not disingenuous. I'm not here trying to defend TJ Nyman. All I'm saying is that I've seen too many innocent lives ruined by public opinion. That isn't going to stop humans from having opinions, and of course they aren't held to the same standard as the justice system. But that doesn't mean we can't find and support alternatives -- like a better investigatory system, or some kind of alternate process with credibility and teeth? I would think people would much prefer that than just relying on public opinion?

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It's not disingenuous. I'm not here trying to defend TJ Nyman. All I'm saying is that I've seen too many innocent lives ruined by public opinion. That isn't going to stop humans from having opinions, and of course they aren't held to the same standard as the justice system. But that doesn't mean we can't find and support alternatives -- like a better investigatory system, or some kind of alternate process with credibility and teeth? I would think people would much prefer that than just relying on public opinion?
I'd just like to say that it's highly likely that the number of innocent lives ruined by sexual predators who have never been brought to justice FAR FAR FAR FAR outweighs the number of innocent lives ruined by public opinion. I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it if Nyman's life is ruined by public opinion, especially since Safe Sport thinks there's enough against him to be investigating him.
My heart breaks for the victims.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

It's a false dichotomy. No one who argues that we should believe victims thinks we shouldn't also fix the justice system. I doubt the justice system is going to magically fix itself in time to vindicate the thousands of victims who are already out there and have failed to receive justice.

attyfan

Public opinion doesn't need to meet the standards of the criminal justice system because public opinion does not have the power to put people in jail. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't count. Public opinion was a major factor in changing laws to favor the victims (protecting their privacy, for example)

Public opinion also dictates things unrelated to formal proceedings of any kind For example, no celebrity has a right to have people (a) watch their performances or (b) spend money to see them or to buy a product they endorse. So, Aliona's value to a show has dropped tremendously because of her choice of partner -- even if he is never formally proven guilty -- simply because I don't have to see them even if he didn't do anything wrong.

Japanfan

Yes. Innocent until proven guilty

And unfortunately, sexual assault/rape allegations are often going to be he said/she said situations. And, courts are often biased in favor of the accused. A student I worked with wrote a long, detailed essay about how the Canadian Justice system is biased against sexual assault victims, and it was a sobering read. That was about 15 years ago, and I hope, but doubt that things have changed since.

Also, keep in mind that most sexual assaults and rapes go unreported. Coming forward with an allegation can lead to shame and trauma - the victim is often treated like a criminal in court.

I don't think of any other crime reported by victims that are so often disbelieved. It's a sign of how anti-women society can be (not to say that men don't get raped - I have no idea whether male rape reports are taken more seriously, but it wouldn't surprise me).

Blase Ford (sp?) got death threats for her accusations against Brett Kavanaugh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information