Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

Rafter

Meagan's daughter is older than Daria Grinkova was when her parents won an OGM ;) Navka also had a baby during her competitive career, and Barbara Fusar-Poli before her comeback. The suggestion that a woman would have a hard time doing shows after starting a family is just :confused:

ughhhhhhh! Since when did I ever say it was not possible? I am talking specifically about Duhamel’s unique situation and her apparent uncertainty to do it (according Eric) bc she didn’t want to be away from her family for extended periods of time.

This whole thing started with me disagreeing with skategal’s post that toddlers are highly portable. Yeah, along with the tons of gear, diapers, clothing, toys, books you need.

Last edited:

Rafter

It wasn't on his "personal time". It involved another skater and coach at the rink where they were training. It's a very different situation than, say, if he was sending photos of his junk to random people on Tumblr.

Oh he was sending his you-know-what pics to underage girls during his training sessions with Vanessa?

Xsktrx

They had post-birth contracts that were canceled due to cv. Not just plans. The plans were to skate on CSOI, if the rumored Fall tour materialized. They weren't simply, "if something comes up at some time."

He did not pair with James because his competitive juices were flowing: he was wanted a show partnership with James before returning to compete entered the discussion. (See the Smith article.)
Ok so their show appearances ceased due to the pregnancy and birth. They were to resume skating shows post birth but the pandemic shelved that (no one’s fault) and during that lengthy delay from performing (Battle of the Blades aside) he met Vanessa and had a change of heart about resuming skating with Meagan once shows resumed but somewhere in there Eric and Vanessa decided to compete for now. That makes sense since competing seems like more of a sure bet than shows at this point of uncertainty in our world. And I did say competitive juices “or” the desire for the spotlight. So what started as he and Vanessa wanting back in the spotlight morphed into competing. I get that also.

Willin

In past interviews Meagan has specifically stated she had childcare plans already set up in case of touring: her daughter could stay with her parents while Bruno was at work at the rink. If Bruno was with her their daughter would either come with or stay with her parents the whole trip. So it's not like it would have been a huge, earth shattering issue for her to find childcare.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
TSL or some other source also pointed out that apparently Radford went to Aliona in 2014 and she says as much in her book asking about a partnership. What was his excuse then? He knew Meagan was going to have a baby 5 years later? :lol:
Wrong. Radford did not go to Aljona in 2014 and she writes exactly that in her book. In fact he is mentioned there twice: once he spoke to her in the dinning room during the GPF in Japan and asked her what are her plans after Sochi and she jokingly asked him whether he was interested skating with him.
2nd time he appears is when she is discussing with Steuer who to offer skating with her, briefly thinks of Radford and dismisses it because Canada is too far and he looks good with Meagan. Her offers went to Massot and Enbert.
It's lovely TSL come up with things that are not written and get quoted with these things.
People have asked them to show the actual paragraphs and someone else said it wasn't true (meaning it wasn't in the book). Proof has not yet been provided.
The actual paragraphs proving what the TSL are saying is NOT true:
1. — Приятного аппетита! — парник из Канады и, соответственно, один из их сильнейших соперников, Эрик Рэдфорд поставил свою тарелку на стол и присел рядом с Аленой. — У тебя все нормально?Алена улыбнулась и кивнула. Она не могла сказать, что они с Эриком были друзьями, но иногда пересекались и болтали при встречах. — Я хочу задать тебе вопрос. Ты что собираешься делать после Сочи? — спросил Эрик, оглядываясь в поисках столовых приборов. — Если честно, я как-то пока не задумывалась, — Алена подала ему вилку и нож, лежавшие рядом с ней, и вздохнула. — А почему ты спрашиваешь? Решил со мной в пару встать? — Алена попыталась обратить все в шутку. Она с трудом сдержалась, чтобы не закатить глаза. В последнее время ей часто задавали этот вопрос, поэтому с недавнего времени он начал действовать ей на нервы. Да и не могла она ответить ничего определенного в данный момент. Она полностью сконцентрировалась на Олимпийских играх в Сочи, и эта Олимпиада была своего рода разграничителем, красной чертой — все, что находилось за ней, Алену пока не волновало. — Нет, нет! Я просто спросил, — ответил Рэдфорд. Но его вопрос почему-то и после их встречи не давал ей покоя. Зайдя в свой гостиничный номер, Алена бросила сумку на пол и села на кровать. Журналисты, болельщики, а теперь еще и соперники озадачивались будущем Алены. Вот только сама она об этом пока еще ничего конкретного не думала. Наверное, давно было пора задать себе этот вопрос. Алена откинулась на подушку и прикрыла глаза, пытаясь отключиться. Неужели это был ее последний финал Гран-при? Хотела ли она закончить выступления после Олимпийских игр?
2. И вот теперь имя того француза стояло первым в ее списке. Вопрос Эрика Рэдфорда о ее планах на финале Гран-при Алена восприняла как намек на то, что он, возможно, подумывал о ней как о потенциальной партнерше. Но Эрик? Алена представила себя на льду с ним... Чтобы встать в пару с Эриком и полноценно тренироваться, ей пришлось бы переехать в Канаду, а это было слишком далеко. Кроме того, он весьма органично смотрелся с Меган. Алена снова включила видео с Эриком, чтобы внимательнее присмотреться к выполняемым их парой подкруткам и выбросам. На самом деле, подкрутка у них была не очень высокая, как хотелось бы Алене, хотя над этим можно было бы поработать. Но опять же — Канада была слишком далеко... Ее мысли снова вернулись к Бруно — он подбрасывал партнершу очень высоко, а она, к слову сказать, была крупнее Алены, поэтому с ним Алена точно могла бы подлетать до потолка. В свой список она внесла еще одного парника – Александра Энберта из России. Россия, конечно, была намного ближе, чем Канада, и Алена вполне могла себе представить переезд в Москву. Кроме того, насколько она помнила, у Энберта были какие-то немецкие корни. Вот только он казался слишком высоким, и Алена чувствовала бы себя с ним на льду как ребенок, а эдакая пара «папа-дочка» смотрелась бы не очень-то хорошо. Но тем не менее Алена оставила его в своем списке.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh he was sending his you-know-what pics to underage girls during his training sessions with Vanessa?

He sent the pictures because another coach at the rink got the underage skater to ask him to send them. It involved people from the same rink they were training at, so it's not "personal time" regardless of when he sent them.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
It wasn't on his "personal time". It involved another skater and coach at the rink where they were training. It's a very different situation than, say, if he was sending photos of his junk to random people on Tumblr.
Come on, Ciprès didn't send a dickpick while they were practicing a throw jump or a lift ;) As long as James wasn't with him when he sent the pix, it was on his personal time, yes, whether he was alone or with the coaches involved. The fact it involved another skater and a coach at the rink where they were working is irrelevant when it comes to James. If Ciprès or 1 of the coaches had stolen a laptop or a smartphone from someone working at the rink, would James be de facto involved and guilty by association just because it happened where she was training? The fact that James knew the victim because she trained at the rink and was sometimes coached by Ciprès doesn't change a thing. James was never an active part of this or it would have been made public like all the rest. Pair skaters aren't together 24/7. Those two have worked together for almost ten years but had different lives outside of skating, except for a while at the beginning. The person James spent most of her off ice time with at Wesley Chapel was Meité. And BTW James and Ciprès also spent off ice time with Aymoz and Meité, as a group of friends, but fortunately until now, I've never heard anyone lambasting Kevin and Maé for not speaking up. They are, just like James, collateral damages. But if we follow your line of thoughts, then they should be hanged too just for being there.

Sylvia

TBD
BTW James and Ciprès also spent off ice time with Aymoz and Meité, as a group of friends, but fortunately until now, I've never heard anyone lambasting Kevin and Maé for not speaking up. They are, just like James, collateral damages. But if we follow your line of thoughts, then they should be hanged too just for being there.
IIRC, Aymoz deleted his Twitter account due to negative tweets from fans re. his coaches in Florida (last year sometime?) but is back now.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
IIRC, Aymoz deleted his Twitter account due to negative tweets from fans re. his coaches in Florida (last year sometime?) but is back now.
Oh yes, true, I had forgotten that.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
It's lovely TSL come up with things that are not written and get quoted with these things.

It's interesting to see skating Twitter suddenly take everything TSL says at face value. Just a few days ago TSL was rightfully labeled as trash by the same group of people.

Guess they're only trash when you disagree with them...

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It's interesting to see skating Twitter suddenly take everything TSL says at face value. Just a few days ago TSL was rightfully labeled as trash by the same group of people.

Guess they're only trash when you disagree with them...
That’s true of almost anything in skating-related news though or life in general. You like it when it benefits the story that you want. And skating Twitter most certainly cannot stand Vanessa James, which is ridiculous as it is.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It wasn't Aymoz's or Meite's careers that would have been blown up had the dickpics come out at the time and/or had the girl pressed charges before the 2018 Olympics.

James was the one who continued to compete with Cipres after the incident and after their coach, Zimmerman -- I don't remember if Fontana was part of that conversation -- applied direct pressure to the girl. If she knew at the time, she'd be a grown up making a decision to continue a professional relationship with a man who'd abused an underaged girl sexually, which is her right, but the trade-off would be getting criticised for it both when it was disclosed and now that she's in the news again.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My issue with James is that when Cipres and her coaches' behavior became public, she posted supportive messages to Cipres on social media and has never said anything to contradict that support. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth which diminishes my enjoyment of her skating. It's one thing to say nothing. It's another to be supportive towards someone who sent dick pics to a child.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
It was to a girl, not girls.
There were two girls involved in the incident.

The girl and her parents said a fourth adult also was involved in the alleged incident. Vinny Dispenza, another coach at the AdventHealth Center Ice rink, allegedly told the girl and another underage girl, whose family could not be reached for comment, to message Cipres asking him to send the photos to the girls in exchange for the promise of a pizza from Dispenza.

puglover

My issue with James is that when Cipres and her coaches' behavior became public, she posted supportive messages to Cipres on social media and has never said anything to contradict that support. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth which diminishes my enjoyment of her skating. It's one thing to say nothing. It's another to be supportive towards someone who sent dick pics to a child.
Yes, and yes!!

As far as some of us being armchair quarterbacks - that probably applies to me. I have supported and cheered for Meagan and Eric from day 1. I have stood up for them many times on this board. I have appreciated the example they have been of a pair who got along, did not resort to screaming matches and appeared united in the K&C no matter who made the mistake. I have paid to see them skate professionally and watched Meagan gamely keep up although more obviously pregnant than I had anticipated. I think for them to end this way is quite tragic. It seems also more complicated because of Bruno and Julie. I would have hoped every effort would have been made by Eric to inform Meagan and explain his reasoning. They were close friends. They were "soulmate" partners on the ice. His latest attempts to excuse himself do raise my feminine hackles.

I agree with having a bad taste in my mouth with regards to Vanessa which diminishes my enjoyment.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But if we follow your line of thoughts, then they should be hanged too just for being there.

Neither of them were Cipres' pair partner. Their relationship to Cipres was different from James' relationship with him.

She chose to keep skating with him after the dick pic incident(s), and she posted supportive messages on social media after his behaviour, and their coaches' attempts at covering it up, became public. That's my issue with her behaviour.

puglover

Just a question - How much do you think the issues of Vanessa's previous partner and coaching staff will be mentioned with regards to Vanessa and Eric as they begin to compete?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Just a question - How much do you think the issues of Vanessa's previous partner and coaching staff will be mentioned with regards to Vanessa and Eric as they begin to compete?
It's skating. Nothing was said during Worlds when skaters that Zimmerman and Fontano coached showed up with a different coach. I expect very little to nothing being said.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Here's the Canadian Press (news service) story, which most Canadian news outlets would have run. It just says that James previously "skated for France". Cipres is only mentioned in the photo caption, with no indication of why he and James are no longer a pair.

okokok777

James was never an active part of this or it would have been made public like all the rest.

Like always, putting my universal disclaimer here:

I want to preface what I say with a universal disclaimer: I completely understand that this is an internet forum and most people here don't know who I am IRL. Because of this, I am in no way offended if people don't believe what I'm saying - everyone has the right to their thoughts and opinions. I just wanted to try and bring a bit of clarity.

I just wanted to point out that there are a lot of people who were directly involved in this situation that were not mentioned in the USA Today articles. From editors and attorneys to parents and the authorities, there are several different parties that need to give approval before anything is printed. In other words, I wouldn't take a person's name not being printed as definitive proof that there are no allegations against them.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Was he setting her up to look bad, knowing she'd be likely to be angry after it did come out, and knowing her well enough to bet that she'd go public and people would be saying she should have kept it private, while he told everyone she was fine with it?
This is the problem with this pandemic - far too many people with too much time on their hands thinking about things that really aren’t that deep. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information