2022 Nationals in Nashville

peibeck

Simply looking
If you are not a "Friends of Figure Skating Member' but have purchased tickets in the past, check your email. Just got a code to buy seats.

Thank you! I didn't see this in my email, as I rarely ever use my Yahoo email account anymore, but after seeing this I hopped in there and just bought my ticket. (Yeah for an aisle seat!) I'll pray for no camera obstruction as I chose a seat closer to the lutz corner on the judges side. (Although if it's like most Nationals you can sit wherever except for maybe the Ladies and Men's free skates. :lol: )

Oh, and to make @jkl happy, I switched my Airbnb (for the third time now) to the Burnham (for sure now). :lol:

And last, but not least, here's the website for the Assembly Food Hall near Bridgestone. https://www.assemblyfoodhall.com/ DONUTS (lots of sweets places, actually) and THAI food means I will be here often. :saint:

Yuri

Section 105, row DD, center ice across from the judges! While I attended 2020 US Nationals in Greensboro NC on Championship Weekend, these are my first all-event tickets since 1998. Definitely my best seats ever and am very much looking forward to it, including seeing practice sessions again!

I have never been to Nashville as my 11-year Nationals streak from 1986-96 ended when I attended the 1997 European and World Championships in lieu of US Nationals there. Finally, it's my first Olympic year attendance since 1998 in Philadelphia and there's always a little more excitement and energy those years.

Arwen17

Just checked my email. They sent out emails to US figure skating members yesterday. So FoFS definitely get promo emails far earlier than actual skaters.

I've never been to a Nationals or any BIG skating event. So I went ahead and splurged on the final remaining seat in a BB row (section 104). Hope there aren't any cameras or whatever in the way since I have no idea what I'm doing or how to purchase "the best" seats for viewing. It's a lot of money to slap down when you don't know if something is going to be in the way of your view. I'm hoping being nearer to the end of the rink means a better view of jumps.

I'm actually more interested in the practice sessions than the competition. Is there assigned seating during practice sessions too or is it first-come-first-serve?

Are the tickets ALWAYS this expensive? This may be the only Nationals I ever go to because it's extraordinarily pricey.
All of the ticket tiers were double the price that I imagined it would be.

sk9tingfan

Just checked my email. They sent out emails to US figure skating members yesterday. So FoFS definitely get promo emails far earlier than actual skaters.

I've never been to a Nationals or any BIG skating event. So I went ahead and splurged on the final remaining seat in a BB row (section 104). Hope there aren't any cameras or whatever in the way since I have no idea what I'm doing or how to purchase "the best" seats for viewing. It's a lot of money to slap down when you don't know if something is going to be in the way of your view. I'm hoping being nearer to the end of the rink means a better view of jumps.

I'm actually more interested in the practice sessions than the competition. Is there assigned seating during practice sessions too or is it first-come-first-serve?

Are the tickets ALWAYS this expensive? This may be the only Nationals I ever go to because it's extraordinarily pricey.
Generally seating at practice sessions are a free for all unless you are sitting in someone's assigned seats. The price of all event tickets has been steadily rising through the years. But the top price has somewhat stabilized for the last few. You'll have a ball! I remember when a Portland friend went to theirs in 2005. His reaction was, " I never realized what a happening this would be." But that was also when there were intermediate(not sure if that's correct), novice, junior and senior levels. Just walking out on the concourses is an experience.

sk9tingfan

Thank you! I didn't see this in my email, as I rarely ever use my Yahoo email account anymore, but after seeing this I hopped in there and just bought my ticket. (Yeah for an aisle seat!) I'll pray for no camera obstruction as I chose a seat closer to the lutz corner on the judges side. (Although if it's like most Nationals you can sit wherever except for maybe the Ladies and Men's free skates. :lol: )

Oh, and to make @jkl happy, I switched my Airbnb (for the third time now) to the Burnham (for sure now). :lol:

And last, but not least, here's the website for the Assembly Food Hall near Bridgestone. https://www.assemblyfoodhall.com/ DONUTS (lots of sweets places, actually) and THAI food means I will be here often. :saint:
At least 7 healthy eating options here! I'm thrilled that this food hall is right across the street! Thanks for posting! :cheer2:

Arwen17

Generally seating at practice sessions are a free for all unless you are sitting in someone's assigned seats. The price of all event tickets has been steadily rising through the years. But the top price has somewhat stabilized for the last few. You'll have a ball! I remember when a Portland friend went to theirs in 2005. His reaction was, " I never realized what a happening this would be." But that was also when there were intermediate(not sure if that's correct), novice, junior and senior levels. Just walking out on the concourses is an experience.

Can you give me a typical daily schedule? Practices in the morning and competitions all afternoon/evening?

The event page says Jan.3-9, but first event is on Jan.4. So Jan.3 is all practice sessions?

I'm a 3 hour drive away from Nashville. Should I book a hotel for Jan.2nd or Jan.3rd? And is the Skating Spectacular late enough in the evening that I should plan to drive back Monday morning instead of Sunday evening?

How early do practice sessions start in the morning? Do events last all day long? I'm trying to figure out if there are big gap periods where I could work remotely instead of taking full vacation days from work for a whole week.
I've been to Nashville many, many times. So there isn't really any sightseeing I want to do there. I plan to either work remotely or go to other Nashville rinks and practice my own skating, when I'm not watching practice sessions or events at Nationals. I'm just not sure how to plan my day based on if there are big gap periods or not. Any recent national schedules someone could share?

sk9tingfan

Can you give me a typical daily schedule? Practices in the morning and competitions all afternoon/evening?

The event page says Jan.3-9, but first event is on Jan.4. So Jan.3 is all practice sessions?

I'm a 3 hour drive away from Nashville. Should I book a hotel for Jan.2nd or Jan.3rd? And is the Skating Spectacular late enough in the evening that I should plan to drive back Monday morning instead of Sunday evening?

How early do practice sessions start in the morning? Do events last all day long? I'm trying to figure out if there are big gap periods where I could work remotely instead of taking full vacation days from work for a whole week.
I've been to Nashville many, many times. So there isn't really any sightseeing I want to do there. I plan to either work remotely or go to other Nashville rinks and practice my own skating, when I'm not watching practice sessions or events at Nationals. I'm just not sure how to plan my day based on if there are big gap periods or not. Any recent national schedules someone could share?
Please see the attached total event schedule from the last "normal" Nationals for both practice and competition schedules. Not sure about how they will handle access to practices. It will be interesting to see if a FOFS breakfast will take place and/or the Olympic sendoff event will be on.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

There was a schedule listed on the ticket page yesterday but I don’t see it there now. It showed all the Jr SPs on Jan 4 and the Jr LPs on Jan 5. The Thursday- Sunday SR schedule followed the same as Nats 2020.

Carolla5501

The skating spectacular is always fairly late Sunday evening. The men’s long usually ends at 6 PM Eastern. So then figure they’re going to completely clear the arena (and this is one time they do clear it) and have to give the guys a few minutes to get through everything. I don’t think they normally start until around eight and it takes several hours. This is why I’ve never gone. I am usually either going home Sunday evening or I have a very early flight Monday. I probably won’t go this year either. I’m driving and I may just try to get on the road so that I can be back at work Monday

Arwen17

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It depends on what you compare it to, I guess. If you had tickets to a Nashville Stars or Predators game twice a day for 5 days, it would cost you as much as an all-event ticket and you are going to see more skating than that.

Yes, that's typically what happens.

You should book a hotel for the whole thing! My sister is. (Also 3 hours away) :D

Some of this depends on how you want to approach the event. Some people only watch the Seniors and might even skip the first group(s) for the Free Skates and rarely attend practices. Others watch everything in the main arena -- so will see all the Seniors and even some Juniors and some practices -- but not the practices and Junior events that happen at the secondary (aka practice) venue. Some go full bore and watch everything that they can.

If you watch as much as you can, you are talking 12-16 hours of skating a day, and the breaks between events will be barely enough time to grab some lunch/dinner and/or travel between the two venues. Also, at some point you will be exhausted. ;)

Also, I looked at the detailed schedule posted above and it has Intermediate, Juvenile, and Novice events. That will not be happening in 2022. This schedule is from 2020, the last time Nationals had spectators and only had Jr and Sr competitions:

It shows the Gala starting at 7 pm. I've seen them also start it at 4 pm. If it's 4pm, you are fine to drive home, but if it's 7 pm, depends on how you feel about driving late at night.

peibeck

Simply looking

:rofl: They have it showing Senior Men's FS on both Saturday and Sunday.

I will pray 🙏, surely in vain, that they don't break up the Pairs Free and Men's SP on Saturday (or Pairs and Free Dance) like they recently have done. It honestly just makes the longest day only even longer, and stinks for the competitors and fans.

ETA: Regarding ticket prices, these are higher than normal, but they seem to always be higher in the Olympic season, plus the price for the venue also varies depending on the market, which effects the prices. Also, there was zero ticket revenue for any events last year at all.

Plus even the most expensive all event ticket, for 5 days of skating, is less than half price of one Super Bowl ticket.

I do think it was nice that the odious Ticketmaster fees are built into the all event ticket price. I doubt people getting single session tickets 🎟 will get that luxury. I chose the electronic tickets, I'll have to figure that out later.

Last edited:

Debbie S

:rofl: They have it showing Senior Men's FS on both Saturday and Sunday.

I will pray 🙏, surely in vain, that they don't break up the Pairs Free and Men's SP on Saturday (or Pairs and Free Dance) like they recently have done. It honestly just makes the longest day only even longer, and stinks for the competitors and fans.
What would a Nats schedule be without a typo? ;)

They haven't split events the past 2 years. I guess it depends on how many groups there are but NBC seems to have settled into showing the last group of pairs, a taped event (men or ladies) and then the last group of dance. Since pairs/dance are in the evening now and not on network/non-cable TV, they are probably less concerned with timing.

The gala will definitely be Sunday evening. The men's FS will end at 6 p.m ET (so 5 p.m. Nashville time) and there will be at least an hour or more for clearing the arena. I wouldn't plan on it starting before 7 p.m.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Have any of you guys booked anything? Hotels? Not sure where to stay. Maybe I'll do an AirBnB? I've been to Nashville once--it was lots of fun but so miserably hot in June! :lol: Wondering if I should book anything now or just be last minute like I always am. I could drive as I'm living in Charlotte now and not LA but nahhhhh. I hate road trips...

Arwen17

https://www.bridgestonearena.com/a-to-z-guide
Bridgestone Arena has a No Bag Policy. Small CLEAR bags 9” x 7” x 2” or smaller will be permitted following X-Ray screening. Guests attending events with approved bags may experience longer entry times, for expedited entry please leave bags at home.
* Medical bags and parenting bags will be permitted following X-Ray screening. Backpacks of any kind are NOT permitted.

Non-professional, non-flash still photography (disposable, digital or 35mm cameras with no interchangeable or telephoto lens) is permitted at most events. For some events, cameras may be prohibited, per the request of the artist
Video or audio recording devices, GoPro cameras, monopods, tripods, selfie sticks, tablets and professional cameras are not permitted inside Bridgestone Arena or on the plazas.

NOT PERMITTED: Laptops or tablets (unless by a credentialed member of the media)

So are small handheld camcorders like Sony Handycam out of the question? I can fit a point-and-shoot camera in my pocket, but a camcorder, even a really small one, usually requires a bag because it's a bit too big for a pocket. I've seen a lot of "fan cams" of performances and practices on youtube. Are those all done with just smartphones? Will anyone come up to you and make you stop filming? I love fan cams because they provide a different angle of a performance or provide footage from practice sessions you would never have gotten to see.

It also mentions tablets and laptops not being allowed on that page. Is this also true? I was going to try to get some remote work done in-between skating events, but it sounds like I will have to leave the premises completely. (How is that going to affect parking?)
The one good thing about the National TOI events is they are very liberal in what you can bring in with you. I guess because the skaters themselves are the audience.

Are there any other "special" things that might happen at an event like this? Is it all serious business for the athletes or do they do meet-n-greet or autographs? I'm sitting in the second row from the ice (Row BB). Any chance the skaters might come over at some point? Maybe during the Skating Spectacular? I've seen the youtube videos of them running by peoples' hands or sometimes signing stuff at random.
I'm not a member of FoFS, I just have a figure skating membership and I've only experienced things as a skater, never a fan. So I don't know what it's like to be a "fan" at an event. XD

Carolla5501

Yes, they will probably come up to you with your Sony Handy cam and make you quit filming. NBC has the rights to this and you are not supposed to film. People do do it with their phones but if they see a video camera they will stop them.

As for the rest of it, I would assume that unless you see a change somewhere that these are the rules for the arena and you’ll probably have to abide by them.

Debbie S

In past years, USFS has had autograph signings at specified times on the concourse of the top 4 finishers in each discipline (or the top 4 in the SP, depends) but with C19 protocols, my guess is that won't be happening.

acraven

Typically, the rules ultimately enforced regarding bags and iPads/tablets tend to be not quite as strict as the arena website suggests, especially after the first day or two. It takes them a while to figure out that Nationals fans tend to be middle-aged women, and thus not likely to toss missiles onto the ice. However, it all comes down to the attitude of the person doing the security check. Occasionally you run into a stickler. I make it my policy to be super nice and friendly at the beginning of the week; that can't hurt. What I do early in the week when they are usually at maximum pickiness is have a tote bag with me (not a clear plastic one) but nothing in it. My program, reading material, table computer, etc., are just in my hands so they can see there are no weapons, and there's no time required to dig through the tote bag. Once I'm past the screeners all that loose stuff goes right in the bag. However, that assumes the arena is permitting modest-sized purses, because I certainly cannot juggle wallet, sunglasses, cell phone, etc., all the way through security. I'll probably take a large ZIP Lock bag with me for emergency use at the beginning of the week, just in case my usual strategy doesn't work. I'm going to gamble that there will not be a weeklong prohibition on everything except small, transparent tote bags. What is reasonable for a 2-1/2 hour hockey game is not so practical for someone arriving at 10 AM and staying until 11 PM.

Water bottles are nearly always an issue one way or another. You can sometimes carry in an empty water bottler; other times you have to smuggle it in. A filled bottle will often not make it past the screener. Some arenas confiscate the bottle top when they sell you the $5 bottle of water, making it difficult to reuse the same bottle throughout the day. Taking a few bottle tops from home is recommended, just in case.

In the absence of contrary information from an official source, you should assume visible food will be confiscated. Smuggling in pockets usually works.

I believe the concern with tablets as opposed to cellphones is that their larger format blocks the view of other people if they are held up so their cameras can be used. I take my tablet in with me and use it during breaks; I've never had a problem. Obviously, there could be a first time (be nice to the screeners!), and it would be a shame to miss part of an event while you returned to your car or hotel to drop off a prohibited tablet.

Those of us who arrive early in the week usually report our experiences with security as a guide to those arriving later, but those posts will be in the Kiss And Cry Forum.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It also mentions tablets and laptops not being allowed on that page. Is this also true? I was going to try to get some remote work done in-between skating events, but it sounds like I will have to leave the premises completely. (How is that going to affect parking?)
Generally, USFS negotiates different rules for Nationals as it's not like going to the arena for a single event for a few hours. So you can't go by what is on the website.

We'll know closer to the event what the rules are but generally:
1) no video cameras -- the tv people have contracts with USFS and don't want the competition. Of course, if your DSLR happens to take video, it's not clear they'd be able to figure it out.
2) small cameras with "non-professional" lenses. Enforcement varies
3) Generally we'll be able to take in larger bags than what the website says because people are there all day. And I've never had to bring a clear one but there's always a first time
4) Most likely, if the arena doesn't allow food to brought it, they won't allow it for Nationals but we are usually allowed to bring in a reusable water bottle (but not bottled water). But it varies.

Since it will be cold in the arena, I generally wear a winter coat and stuff snacks (i.e., trail mix, fruit, and bars) into it so I'm not eating arena food constantly. I've never been caught and I don't necessarily try that hard. I might bring my reusable water bottle but often I buy a bottle of water there and just refill it from the water fountains for the rest of the day. I do try to buy some stuff from the arena because they have to make some money but I'm not going to eat crap for an entire week and often the arena doesn't have that much stuff I'm willing to eat.

Arwen17

Thanks for the helpful replies!
One more question now that I'm looking at hotel and parking prices and trying to figure out what to do.

Many of the closest hotels to the arena are currently going for $300-$500 a night for that first week of January. Is it going to remain that high or are the hotel owners being overly-ambitious with their prices right now? That also doesn't include the parking fee that seems to cost anywhere from $35-$41 a day at a downtown hotel.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a closer hotel that I can walk to and from the arena (and therefore get more remote-work done in my hotel room). Or if I should choose a much further away hotel that includes free parking, and then pay for parking near the arena and then use either the arena or a panera bread or something to try to get some remote-work done between events.
I'm kinda afraid to move my car once it's in a parking garage for fear of it filling up later or having to pay twice simply because I'm coming and going a lot.
I'd like to get a close hotel that I can walk to the arena, but the prices are so high right now, plus the additional parking fee just to park at the hotel.

azcalder

Several years ago I was at the World Arena in Colorado Springs for an International event when the father of a Canadian ice dancer was using a small hand held recorder to record his daughter at practice. He was told to stop by the ushers. He pleaded it was for training purposes, but to no avail. He was again told to stop, or he would be taken out of the Arena. He stopped.

Sylvia

TBD
Are there any other "special" things that might happen at an event like this? Is it all serious business for the athletes or do they do meet-n-greet or autographs?
In past years, USFS has had autograph signings at specified times on the concourse of the top 4 finishers in each discipline (or the top 4 in the SP, depends)
Here's a photo I was able to take of Nathan at 2020 Nationals even though I was not standing in the very long autograph line for the top 4 men: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1222676353943818241
but with C19 protocols, my guess is that won't be happening.
:(
Any chance the skaters might come over at some point? Maybe during the Skating Spectacular? I've seen the youtube videos of them running by peoples' hands or sometimes signing stuff at random.
If you go down to the seats that are right at the boards as the skaters are bowing at the end of the Gala, you might be able to slap their hands as they go by afterwards. But with all the COVID restrictions these days, maybe this will not be allowed in Nashville?

Some of the skaters stayed on the ice after the 2020 Nationals Gala and signed a few more autographs/posted for photos, like this young lady :): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1241793146549342211

After Nationals practices are over, sometimes the skaters will sign autographs and/or pose for pics if you are sitting in the area where they exit the ice and ask them nicely.

ETA - 1997 Nashville Nationals was my very first trip to a U.S. Nationals (attended the final weekend) and it was an amazing & memorable experience - hope it will be for you too, @Arwen17!

Scott Hamilton promoting Nationals in Nashvile:

Last edited:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
That bag policy is, uhhh, intense. I don't think I've ever seen that at an event.

Guess I gotta invest in a clear bag. Or just shove my wallet and phone in my coat. :lol:

AnnM

With Staples Center in L.A. and SAP Center in San Jose recently announcing "no bag" policies, I'm just relieved at this point that Bridgestone Arena is providing a bag option at all. I hope they won't follow the trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information