Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I love how Simone was wobbling on the last one or two rotations and then hit her "ta-da" pose at the end. Like no one would dare deduct for those wobbles when she finished with such aplomb, right?
It reminded me of the turn drills I used to have to do in dance class. No matter how ugly the last rev was, we were to keep going until we lost momentum.

mattiecat13

Still working my way through the Nastia Liukin Cup but I have to say how much I appreciate Terry Gannon. He does a masterful job at both gymnastics and skating and has made Tim and Nastia better. I know Tim gets criticized but the man knows his stuff and I think he's doing a much better job and has loosened up a lot since the unlamented Al Trautwig left. I even noticed some gentle teasing going on among the three and that never would that have happened with Al, Elfie and Tim. I hope we see/hear Terry in Tokyo this year.

BaileyCatts

Since my technical knowledge of gymnastics moves consists of "I watch it on TV", why do y'all hate the wolf turns so much? :shuffle:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Because not everybody does them with straight posture and with the ease of Simone. The past few years have given us some horrific looking ones. Think of when IJS was first implemented and the kinds of Biellmans we got.
For me, it’s the windmill arms. I need to see full extension or arms pulled in. Very few gymnasts can do a wolf without losing the symmetry of the arms.

FiveRinger

Because not everybody does them with straight posture and with the ease of Simone. The past few years have given us some horrific looking ones. Think of when IJS was first implemented and the kinds of Biellmans we got.

For me, it’s the windmill arms. I need to see full extension or arms pulled in. Very few gymnasts can do a wolf without losing the symmetry of the arms.
Yes. And there are just too many of them. They’re telegraphed, no decent transitions into or out of them. They just aren’t pretty. I hope the are devalued next year on floor and beam. I never have to see another one, frankly.

Erin

Banned Member
Yes. And there are just too many of them. They’re telegraphed, no decent transitions into or out of them. They just aren’t pretty. I hope the are devalued next year on floor and beam. I never have to see another one, frankly.

Unfortunately, the new code for 2022-24 doesn't include a devaluing of wolf turns, but there is at least a rule where only one of each type of turn can be performed within a routine, so at least we won't be seeing anyone performing both a double and a triple wolf turn in a routine anymore.

I can live with them on beam, where I would say about 25-30% of them are reasonably well-done and they occasionally lead to moments of comedy. At least we got the wolfkino. I do wish they would be devalued by one letter though. On floor, I have yet to see an attractive wolf turn and while the moments of comedy exist, they are much rarer on floor. Usually what happens is someone falls on the wolf turn and it isn't even properly deducted. I wish they would just be removed from the code on floor and not even counted as a skill.

FiveRinger

Unfortunately, the new code for 2022-24 doesn't include a devaluing of wolf turns, but there is at least a rule where only one of each type of turn can be performed within a routine, so at least we won't be seeing anyone performing both a double and a triple wolf turn in a routine anymore.

I can live with them on beam, where I would say about 25-30% of them are reasonably well-done and they occasionally lead to moments of comedy. At least we got the wolfkino. I do wish they would be devalued by one letter though. On floor, I have yet to see an attractive wolf turn and while the moments of comedy exist, they are much rarer on floor. Usually what happens is someone falls on the wolf turn and it isn't even properly deducted. I wish they would just be removed from the code on floor and not even counted as a skill.

After you mentioned removing wolf turns, I went to see if I could find the D score. In my search, I found this gem of a description from the Balance Beam Situation. 😀

barbk

Most modern wolf turns look unstable and ungainly. Just fugly. The exceptions are few and far between.

It does remind me of all the stupid blade grabs and dog peeing positions we saw on spirals. Blech.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

VGThuy

VGThuy

Came across this on Instagram:

What’s the likelihood she can hit this routine multiple times at the Olympics, I wonder.

millyskate

I'm looking forward to Euros. The GB girls have had less time to train this year than probably any other competitors as gyms, including for elite athletes, have been closed for months on end and they've been posting pictures of beams in gardens and condition in sitting rooms. They've had a few weeks now though, and it will be interesting to see how strong Jennifer Gadirova is looking. It will be Amelie Morgan's first competition back from a long injury as well.

barbk

Came across this on Instagram:

What’s the likelihood she can hit this routine multiple times at the Olympics, I wonder.
That is gorgeous.

clairecloutier

Elizabeth Seitz spoke out on Instagram against sexist dress standards in gymnastics. She questions why female gymnasts are required to wear leotards when competing, instead of shorts or pants. This is something I've long wondered about myself. (I would actually also like to see boyshorts as part of competitive skating costumes, if people would prefer to wear that than a leotard bottom.)

snoopyskater

Elizabeth Seitz spoke out on Instagram against sexist dress standards in gymnastics. She questions why female gymnasts are required to wear leotards when competing, instead of shorts or pants. This is something I've long wondered about myself. (I would actually also like to see boyshorts as part of competitive skating costumes, if people would prefer to wear that than a leotard bottom.)

Please make this happen. I love the sport, but I'm so tired of these butts sticking out.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Leotards don't bother me too much (I did gymnastics and danced when I was younger so I had to wear them for both) but I watch a lot of college gymnastics and I'm tired of seeing the leg part cut so high that their rear ends are hanging out. If the cut is good, then a leotard can be just fine and stay put for a whole routine but there have been some HORRIBLE ones this year and it's ridiculous. Enough with the high cut ones! :eek:

That said, kudos to Elizabeth for speaking out about something that I think a lot of gymnasts would like to see happen. :respec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information