Status
Not open for further replies.

natsulian

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
^^^ I think of Lu Chen's program too, but that happened in 1998, almost 24 years ago. Most casual fans, (maybe even ardent fans) don't remember what skaters did five years ago, never mind 5 Olympic cycles ago. If Karen wants to keep Butterfly lovers she should. It's a lovely progam and if she improves her technical content, it will be even better.
No! 24 years ago.....tell me it isn't true. It can't be true. I remember it like it was yesterday! I think there are some programs that should be "locked" as the definitive skate :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What are some of your guys thoughts on Bradie’s first year with Tom? They say they are working on the triple axle but how small her jumps seem this season I can’t even imagine that.

Sometimes I don’t understand exactly why skaters switch coaches. She had great results with Denise, she was with her family. Why not just bring in someone or work with someone for a brief amount of time on the triple axle.

I’m not entirely certain she’ll make the Olympic team next year and that’s with three spots. I have to factor Alysa in. Maybe Amber or Mariah. And of course Karen!!

From what I saw the past four weeks I don’t see much improvement with Tom. In fact I think I see going backwards!

But I’ll wait and see how she does in the free tomorrow

honey

I see Bradie’s thought process in going to Tom. She wants a triple axel and wasn’t getting it where she was. Didn’t she give a quote along the lines of she didn’t want to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. So she chose a coach that taught a triple axel to a skater in her 20s in recent memory.

That being said, we’re not really seeing the fruits of a new technical coach yet. Her triples are getting tighter as the years go by. But this years has been so strange all around I think more time is needed to see if this partnership with Tom will produce what she wanted out of it.

We’ve yet to see her even try a triple axel in a competition practice (let alone a real competition), which leads me to believe it’s no where near ready. The ones Tom posted on Instagram last summmer or fall were not that close.

But progress doesn’t happen over night, so I would say give it some more time. I do think her double axel is higher than it was before, which is good for the triple.

Sylvia

TBD
Just to clarify - Hanna Harrell hasn't confirmed a coaching change herself yet; only Misha Ge has posted about it on his social media so far. Team USA/ISP skater bios will likely be updated by early summer?

Lindsay Thorngren is the second U.S. lady to receive a grant from the Mabel Fairbanks Fund - more info here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ilblazer-mabel-fairbanks.107370/#post-5990015

ETA:

Karen Chen spoke to the Bay Area News group before World Team Trophy - article by Elliott Almond: https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04...xel-as-figure-skating-season-comes-to-an-end/
Chen said she plans to focus on a triple axel after the competition in Japan. She also said it is more difficult to try something so demanding as a young adult.
“When I was younger if my coach said to go do something I would do it,” Chen said. “I didn’t have a brain. Now, if someone says try this, I’m like, ‘Oh, I don’t know. It seems kind of scary.’ ”
Chen said she wants to do land the axel regardless of what it means for her Olympic chances.
“I want to know what it feels like to land a triple axel,” Chen said. “I don’t know what that feeling will be. I really want to know.”

Last edited:

Vagabond

I see Bradie’s thought process in going to Tom. She wants a triple axel and wasn’t getting it where she was. Didn’t she give a quote along the lines of she didn’t want to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. So she chose a coach that taught a triple axel to a skater in her 20s in recent memory.
AFAIK, a key difference between Tennell and Nagasu is that Nagasu had experimented with the triple axel in practice years before she went to Zakrajsek.

Sarah

What are some of your guys thoughts on Bradie’s first year with Tom? They say they are working on the triple axle but how small her jumps seem this season I can’t even imagine that.

Sometimes I don’t understand exactly why skaters switch coaches. She had great results with Denise, she was with her family. Why not just bring in someone or work with someone for a brief amount of time on the triple axle.
Pure speculation on my part. Bradie was with Denise for a long time. I wonder if she just needed a change? And/or it was time to move out on her own? Yes, her interviews focused a lot on the triple axel but I do wonder if there was more to the move than that. Not saying that anything bad happened, but simply it was the point in her career where she needed to make a change for any one of many reasons? Leaving home is part of growing up too.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

If Bradie wanted to learn the triple axle is Tom the right choice? I’m trying to remember what star he’s produced doing triple axels and I’m not including Mirai in that. I would’ve went to Raphael. Or maybe Orser if there was room.....

Maybe knock on Tonya’s door (tee-hee)

Last edited:

cmk

If Bradie wanted to learn the triple axle is Tom the right choice? I’m trying to remember what star he’s produced doing triple axels and I’m not including Mirai in that. I would’ve went to Raphael. Or maybe Orser if there was room.....

Maybe knocked on Tonya’s door (tee-hee)
Dodie Teachman still coaches. I believe Diane Rawlinson is still coaching as well. I think Tom Z has more clout with the judges than Tonya's two former coaches though.

love skating

Clueless American
Speaking of Bradie - I just noticed in my cable guide that this Saturday's Game Time with Boomer Esiason features Bradie Tennell. The website says this episode airs April 10-16. Mine is on Saturday the 17th - I hope it will be Bradie's episode and that it isn't just a wrong listing and that it aired last week! Anyway, check your local listings! https://gametimewithboomeresiason.com/bradie-tennell/

Maximillian

RIP TA
IIRC, Mirai always had an exceptional 2A, so I doubt the transition to 3A was as daunting as it might be for others...Bradie's 2A is...fine, I guess. I'm sort of intrigued that both Bradie and Karen are focusing on the 3A instead of a quad, especially a 4t or 4s, I would think those might be easier for those who don't jump 'big'. I always think of the 3A as a 'big jumper' jump...but what do I know, I never got passed a single flip, so...

Sylvia

TBD
IIRC, Mirai always had an exceptional 2A, so I doubt the transition to 3A was as daunting as it might be for others...
I've always thought Karen's excellent 2A has a kick up & amplitude that seems big enough for a triple (as long as she can start the rotation earlier?).

Bradie's quote from TeamUSA.org's WTT Day 1 recap article link posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-15-18-osaka-japan.108129/page-9#post-5990730
“It was great to have an audience again after so long competing without one,” Tennell said. “I feel okay, it wasn’t my best, but I’m looking forward to being strong in the free.”
“This is a very fun program for me, it’s very fun to skate and work on and practice every day,” she added. “I really just try to enjoy the performance and let it flow.”
The two-time and reigning U.S. champion is breaking in a new pair of boots in Osaka.
“I am still adjusting. I am very much looking forward to the off-season to figure it out,” she said. “There are some issues I need to deal with, so I am looking forward to getting back home and fixing that.”

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

I’m not entirely certain she’ll make the Olympic team next year and that’s with three spots. I have to factor Alysa in. Maybe Amber or Mariah. And of course Karen!!

From what I saw the past four weeks I don’t see much improvement with Tom. In fact I think I see going backwards!

But I’ll wait and see how she does in the free tomorrow
I’m tired of two years straight of the “I’m so cool and jazzy” sort of SP. It comes across as over-rehearsed down to the flick of the wrist. A nuclear blast could go off and she’ll perform exactly the same.

VGThuy

IIRC, Mirai always had an exceptional 2A, so I doubt the transition to 3A was as daunting as it might be for others...Bradie's 2A is...fine, I guess. I'm sort of intrigued that both Bradie and Karen are focusing on the 3A instead of a quad, especially a 4t or 4s, I would think those might be easier for those who don't jump 'big'. I always think of the 3A as a 'big jumper' jump...but what do I know, I never got passed a single flip, so...

I think Karen actually jumps big. Her Triple Lutz is pretty big. I think her main issue is the delayed and slow rotation that she's aware of and has been working on.

olympic

A lot of people make good points - It's too early to tell what effect Tom Z is having on Bradie either in relation to the 3A or her jumps generally. I am nervous about the regression of her jumps but I can't really understand what is the cause. The YKW made diagnoses impossible.

But, thank goodness that she is smart enough to have her own ideas about presentation / choreography and is not reliant on him :yikes:

Karen and Bradie's focus on the 3A is interesting. Karen has strong lift on her jumps, so it's not a stretch for her to attempt either a 3A or a quad TBH. She really needs to tighten that rotation ,though. OTOH, I don't seen any of Bradie's jumps having great lift which makes the attainment of a 3A a little puzzling but I guess we will see what happens.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I think Karen actually jumps big. Her Triple Lutz is pretty big. I think her main issue is the delayed and slow rotation that she's aware of and has been working on.
I have to agree. Every time during the short program and I watch her go for the triple Lutz triple toe she has great height and covers a lot of distance. She reminds me of Boyang and his quad. Having watched this jump combination of hers it is rather impressive.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Remember how Kwan looked in 2003 and beyond, especially compared to 2002? And remember how much bigger her jumps got during that quad? I wonder if Bradie might try something similar. I feel like she's been getting thinner and could benefit from some more muscle.

Maximillian

RIP TA
No, I agree with this, I think it's because of the delayed rotation that I sometimes don't think of her as such.

olympic

Well, Bradie committed to the jumps at WTT but it looks like the back-end of those combos continue to be a bugaboo. I hope it gets sorted. Also, glad that this wasn't Karen's skate last month and it showed a pattern of inconsistency we've seen before. I hope she was just tired or something.

I think the 3 spots [yes. I think the US will do well enough at Nebelhorn] are wide-open next year which will make Nationals very interesting.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Speaking of Bradie - I just noticed in my cable guide that this Saturday's Game Time with Boomer Esiason features Bradie Tennell. The website says this episode airs April 10-16. Mine is on Saturday the 17th - I hope it will be Bradie's episode and that it isn't just a wrong listing and that it aired last week! Anyway, check your local listings! https://gametimewithboomeresiason.com/bradie-tennell/
The Bradie episode aired on my cable this weekend. Bradie comes across as mature and thoughtful. She was sweet talking about her Mom who is a nurse and how proud she was of her Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information