Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneWithTheWind

Does anyone know if the Winter Cup is available On-Demand anywhere? My DVR is acting up.... :wuzrobbed

I've seen a lot of the individual performances on Youtube, but I'm wondering about a recording of the whole event... with or without commentary. Thanks in advance if anyone knows of a source!
Someone has unloaded the full broadcast on to YouTube too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFG9vWqOxY (hopefully not geoblocked for you!)

alexikeguchi

Someone has unloaded the full broadcast on to YouTube too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFG9vWqOxY (hopefully not geoblocked for you!)
Wonderful, thanks! It was great to see such a positive atmosphere, and I'm glad USAG could provide this opportunity for the gymnasts to show what they've been able to work on despite all the training challenges. The women certainly look like they've been able to keep up a lot better than the men. I was impressed with the top two all-arounders and especially loved the 2/1.5 that Shilese Jones unveiled; I hope she has an opportunity to get that named after her. I also really enjoyed Jade Carey's upgrades on her weak events. I guess her individual qualification would go to waste if she was named to the four woman team, but I somehow wish she could be included in what will almost certainly be a gold medal win.

GoneWithTheWind

Wonderful, thanks! It was great to see such a positive atmosphere, and I'm glad USAG could provide this opportunity for the gymnasts to show what they've been able to work on despite all the training challenges. The women certainly look like they've been able to keep up a lot better than the men. I was impressed with the top two all-arounders and especially loved the 2/1.5 that Shilese Jones unveiled; I hope she has an opportunity to get that named after her. I also really enjoyed Jade Carey's upgrades on her weak events. I guess her individual qualification would go to waste if she was named to the four woman team, but I somehow wish she could be included in what will almost certainly be a gold medal win.
I really enjoyed Shilese's performance too! Maybe she'll stay elite post-Olympics (assuming she doesn't make the Olys team, although that would be a wonderful surprise) and try to make the Worlds team? Then, she could get her skill named. Jordan's all around performance was great, although the non-tumbling skills on floor were a little messy, but it's a great start to the season for her. Jade's upgrades were impressive, it must give her a confidence boost to know she's got her spot ready and now she can focus on training to peak at the Olympics; maybe she'll be a surprise in the all-around final.

skatfan

She can still compete in the individual all-around fortunately.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I agree. I'm always astonished at how many people on YT comment under all those videos of Eteri berating girls in practice how much they love her coaching. And how the girls crying mean they're "bratty." There was a similar thing with Marta -- the reporters would always say "Marta hates criers" as if that were something to admire. I don't get it at all.
A couple of weeks ago I watched Over the Limit, a documentary about Rita Mamun in the lead up to Rio. There's no narrator or interviews, it's just a constant barrage of verbal abuse being thrown at her from her coaches, about everything from looking tired after a routine to being distracted by her father's terminal cancer diagnosis. It was horrifying.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Last edited:

FiveRinger

Is there any reason why the Department of Justice could not undertake this? Enough is enough. Investigate swimming, figure skating, diving, the entire USOC if necessary, as far as I’m concerned. We’re an Olympic cycle removed from Nassar and we still don’t have answers.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover

Is there any reason why the Department of Justice could not undertake this? Enough is enough. Investigate swimming, figure skating, diving, the entire USOC if necessary, as far as I’m concerned. We’re an Olympic cycle removed from Nassau and we still don’t have answers.
I seem to recall there’s something in the Ted Stevens Act that might keep the federal government from getting involved. Does anyone know for sure?

ilovepaydays

What are you guys’ thoughts about the Gold Over America tour this fall? It looks like there will be a lot of cities with shows.

I’m curious about how high the ticket prices will be. I have a feeling that it’s going to be $$$$$. Also, shouldn’t there be more cast members? Even charity skating shows have at least 8-10 skaters.

skatfan

Is there any reason why the Department of Justice could not undertake this? Enough is enough. Investigate swimming, figure skating, diving, the entire USOC ifnecessary, as far as I’m concerned. We’re an Olympic cycle removed from Nassar and we still don’t have answers.
There’s an FBI report that investigated the FBI’s role (maybe an IG report?) that gymnasts have been trying to get made public.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
According to this, no foreign spectators will be allowed at the Tokyo 2021 Olys.

snoopyskater

According to this, no foreign spectators will be allowed at the Tokyo 2021 Olys.
Can't say that I blame them.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I just remember reading so much on here years back about the Karolyis being idolised and why couldn't USA figure skating have a ranch and take inspiration from them.

And the way that some fans of Tutberidze I think really take pleasure in the way the girls are disciplined. Just watch the way that some of those people reject any of the Russian girls the moment they show any independence and stop being little obedient dolls.

I think there's a certain type of fan of sports like gymnastics and figure skating that have a big appetite for tough training and obedience in girls. It's weird.

And I just hate the gender imbalance in skating. The whole womens program is built around a machine of discipline and obedience and short careers ... and then men is a completely different story of Nathan Chen with his skate board and university and Yuzuru the ninja with a really long career.
How is that a gender imbalance...assuming you are using the term as an intentional slight.

starrynight

How is that a gender imbalance...assuming you are using the term as an intentional slight.

I meant that the men's program seems to be way more independent and individualistic, lots of long term champions ... as opposed to the women's program which is like a big conveyer belt of broken girls.

I just wish that the sport wasn't skewed at the moment where it fosters a very different environment in the mens vs womens competition.

The difference between mens and womens is like night and day.

FiveRinger

There have been rampant rumours about Don Peters since the late 80s. Jennifer Sey wrote in her autobiography (which was published in 2008) that everyone knew that Peters was abusing his star pupil in the mid-to-late 80s, Doe Yamashiro, while she was still a minor. He was banned from coaching by USAG in 2011.
Most people who read this thread are aware. I was making a point of the new CA legislation that allows Doe Yamashiro to sue Peters. Even though he's not mentioned by name in the suit (some legality that the article explains) it is obvious by the descriptions and confirmation given to the article's author.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

Well, for all of you who hate the Wolf Turn ... Simone has double downed on it ... The sextuple Wolf Turn 😧

I abhore it. I've been watching older competitions on YouTube from the 60s and 70s. They were kind of pretty then--the girls would do a single and then slide into a split. They looked graceful and they weren't obviously checking for points.

Leave it to Simone to find another way to impress me and completely convince me that she's from another galaxy. Who else could do that? Does this count? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information