Nathan Chen will be marching in Biden Inaugural Parade

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Setting aside all posters’ political stance in the thread, a figure skater being in an inauguration is always good for the sport. Whether it be H/D or Nathan or Kwan, or whatever the skater’s political ideas are.

Go figure skating!
Just to be clear, I didn't start the speculation in this thread about Nathan's political stance. And, for what it's worth, my original post in this discussion only went so far as to suggest that perhaps he is hoping to help begin healing the political divide in this country by appearing, or that perhaps this is merely good figure skating publicity. Others in this discussion are interpreting this as some grand political statement by Nathan and choosing to, once again, tear anyone down who happens to support Trump. It gets old after awhile.

jlai

Question everything
Just to be clear, I didn't start the speculation in this thread about Nathan's political stance. And, for what it's worth, my original post in this discussion only went so far as to suggest that perhaps he is hoping to help begin healing the political divide in this country by appearing, or that perhaps this is merely good figure skating publicity. Others in this discussion are interpreting this as some grand political statement by Nathan and choosing to, once again, tear anyone down who happens to support Trump. It gets old after awhile.
You made this clear. Back to topic

Time to celebrate figure skating publicity!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, of course, that must be it. Thanks for telling me that I "suck." I'm trying to be charitable and give Nathan the benefit of doubt, but the anti-Trumpers are making it damn hard to even bother, especially the anti-Trumpers who don't even live in the US. Why even try to tamp down on the vile, divisive rhetoric?
I'm not really sure why you have "try to be charitable" because a skater is going to be part of the inauguration or has said online that he's educating himself about racial inequality as if those are horrible things that need an excuse. Your attitude seems pretty divisive to me.

Not to mention you don't "just happen to be" a Trump supporter. I "just happen" to have brown hair and I "just happened" to find a penny on my walk yesterday. But your decision to support a racist, sexist, incompetent and hateful man is not something that "just happened" to you. It was a choice and choices have consequences.

canbelto

I'm not really sure why you have "try to be charitable" because a skater is going to be part of the inauguration or has said online that he's educating himself about racial inequality as if those are horrible things that need an excuse. Your attitude seems pretty divisive to me.
Yeah. I'm going to be "charitable" about Nathan Chen's ugly LP costume this year. But participating in a virtual inauguration for Joe Biden? That's not something you need to be "charitable" about. He has a right as a citizen of the U.S.

And FWIW I still like Todd Eldredge despite his political views.

jlai

Question everything
Yeah. I'm going to be "charitable" about Nathan Chen's ugly LP costume this year. But participating in a virtual inauguration for Joe Biden? That's not something you need to be "charitable" about. He has a right as a citizen of the U.S.

And FWIW I still like Todd Eldredge despite his political views.
I am still not charitable about Nathan taking out the claps to the Spanish music. That and that non Spanish white t shirt.

By recycling Shae’s clothes he failed to contribute to revival of the economy by ordering outlandish outfits. He should issue a public apology to Vera wang!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Not to mention you don't "just happen to be" a Trump supporter. I "just happen" to have brown hair and I "just happened" to find a penny on my walk yesterday. But your decision to support a racist, sexist, incompetent and hateful man is not something that "just happened" to you. It was a choice and choices have consequences.
So much this! It was one thing voting for him in 2016, but to do it in 2020 and then after him inciting a lynch mob to storm the Capitol still support him? That is a conscious decision.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Yes, of course, that must be it. Thanks for telling me that I "suck." I'm trying to be charitable and give Nathan the benefit of doubt, but the anti-Trumpers are making it damn hard to even bother, especially the anti-Trumpers who don't even live in the US. Why even try to tamp down on the vile, divisive rhetoric?
If you are still a Trump supporter after he invoked a violent insurrection and incited terrorists to storm the US Capitol, then yes, you suck (and that's being kind). Vile, divisive rhetoric? So sending his mob into the Capitol to kill Pence and execute Pelosi and steal government property isn't vile and divisive?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
@BaileyCatts, I'm sure the livestream will be archived for viewing later - press release: https://bideninaugural.org/presiden...s-participants-for-the-parade-across-america/

Thanks, Sylvia. Wow - the contingent from my Puerto Rico will include four groups...mini-parade within the parade?! WEEEEEPAAAAH!!!
🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷

Direct link to watch the full parade stream:

Looking forward to all of this! Let’s party, USA & friends!!! A bailar, amigos!!!🎉

jenny12

So happy to see that Nathan will attend the inauguration and it is really a great thing for figure skating. Nathan did not accept Trump’s invitation to go to the White House after the Olympics but will attend Biden’s inauguration so that definitely gets a +5 GOE from me.

Also, no unity without accountability.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I am still not charitable about Nathan taking out the claps to the Spanish music. That and that non Spanish white t shirt.

By recycling Shae’s clothes he failed to contribute to revival of the economy by ordering outlandish outfits. He should issue a public apology to Vera wang!
Oh come on now he probably ordered an outlandish costume because someone on his team would have taken care of that. And it never came out of a suitcase. But he probably spent money on a costume. I have this feeling that Nathan’s team has gotten him costumes, I just don’t get the feeling Nathan really buys into that

And honestly, I’d rather have Nathan out there in that white shirt and black pants than some of those bizarre things I’ve seen in the past. Don’t forget Johnny and the Bird. Yeah let’s just go for great skating and no drama. When you skate like he does you don’t need a costume

Heck I’m not even sure that what Jason skated in is technically much of a costume. But you know it’s beautiful skating

jlai

Question everything
Oh come on now he probably ordered an outlandish costume because someone on his team would have taken care of that. And it never came out of a suitcase. But he probably spent money on a costume. I have this feeling that Nathan’s team has gotten him costumes, I just don’t get the feeling Nathan really buys into that

And honestly, I’d rather have Nathan out there in that white shirt and black pants than some of those bizarre things I’ve seen in the past. Don’t forget Johnny and the Bird. Yeah let’s just go for great skating and no drama. When you skate like he does you don’t need a costume

Heck I’m not even sure that what Jason skated in is technically much of a costume. But you know it’s beautiful skating
I'm waiting for the day Nathan comes out of the closet and says I love...costumes! :D

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I was proud of Nathan and the other athletes who chose not to go to the White House. But that was then, and this is now.

Awesome honor for Nathan to be in the virtual Inaugural parade! Congrats Nathan, and thank you Michelle! I'm also looking forward to young Brayden Harrington's appearance. The young man who stutters like Joe did as a kid. Brayden is a hero to me! I'm so happy Biden invited him to be part of the Inauguration festivities! Can't wait for Noon tomorrow and the start of a new administration, with a mature (at last!), well-mannered gentleman as President, and the first ever female Vice President and VP of color! So much promise! ❤

Willin

Since it sounds like this will involve some sort of short performance in the virtual parade, is there any details on what exactly he'll be doing? A statement? Skating? A joint thing promoting US athletes or the USOC?

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Red, white and blue?

I will note that Nathan has worn red and blue in the past!

That was the first time I'd ever seen Nathan! He stole my heart then and has had it ever since! 💖 I've considered myself his proud virtual auntie ever since - which is why it's funny for me when some fans refer to him now as a 'hottie'! 😄 Sandra was so right when she took note of baby Nathan and exclaimed "Remember that name!". Nathan will indeed be remembered. He's fast approaching legend status, Olympic medal or no. 🤩

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Since it sounds like this will involve some sort of short performance in the virtual parade, is there any details on what exactly he'll be doing? A statement? Skating? A joint thing promoting US athletes or the USOC?

We don’t know yet... but, as per this list of all performers, Kaitlin “The Skate Kid” Saunders will also perform! This list covers all portions of the day: the swearing-in ceremony at noon; the parade (3pm); and the nighttime concert (8:39pm).

Sylvia

TBD
:cheer: for figure skater Kaitlyn Saunders who is also participating today (she spoke to her local NBC news station):

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Thanks, Sylvia. Wow - the contingent from my Puerto Rico will include four groups...mini-parade within the parade?! WEEEEEPAAAAH!!!
🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷 🇵🇷

Direct link to watch the full parade stream:

Looking forward to all of this! Let’s party, USA & friends!!! A bailar, amigos!!!🎉
What a difference four years makes...

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
This is starting now (well, it kind of started already with a live part in DC, and now they are doing the virtual part)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information