This Is Us, season 5

skategal

Bunny mama
As a guy, what does Teen Kate taking an ovulation test mean?

I am all about Teen Kate. Also, I literally cannot believe that the same actor inhabits friggin Marc and Dash on Dash and Lily.

I wonder how long a normal episode of tv is taking to shoot these days? Four episodes and a break? We might get a vaccine before we get a new episode!

I think the ovulation test was a mistake and it was supposed to say pregnancy test?

You can technically use an ovulation test to see if you are pregnant but they don’t have a plus sign on them. It would be two lines and it is a much more convoluted way to find out if you are pregnant.

You wouldn’t buy an ovulation test to find out if you were pregnant. You would just buy the pregnancy test.

You might use one if it was just laying around your house and if you didn’t have a pregnancy test handy.

So I’m going with a post production mistake?

Susan1

I think the ovulation test was a mistake and it was supposed to say pregnancy test?

You can technically use an ovulation test to see if you are pregnant but they don’t have a plus sign on them. It would be two lines and it is a much more convoluted way to find out if you are pregnant.

You wouldn’t buy an ovulation test to find out if you were pregnant. You would just buy the pregnancy test.

You might use one if it was just laying around your house and if you didn’t have a pregnancy test handy.

So I’m going with a post production mistake?
I'm confused, as usual, with the Vietnamese thing. I don't recognize people's faces that aren't on there all the time in the corresponding year. I should record it in HD so I can see it better? I couldn't read "ovulation" either. What year was that supposed to be? (Here I go again!) Did they even have ovulation tests then? I didn't think of this till I read these posts. Maybe she was taking one because she wanted to get pregnant by that mean guy? She looked like she did it like 5 minutes after they left. If it was a pregnancy test, you'd think she would wait till they are out of the driveway in case they came back in. I didn't read any articles about the episode till I saw it, just a headline - why they won't be back till January or something. I'll try to find it tomorrow. I've been trying to get through some DVRd things.

It was right there when I got back, so I guess it was supposed to be a pregnancy test -

Last edited:

Susan1

I'll just do a new one instead of editing again - https://www.reddit.com/r/thisisus/comments/jwoml9/latest_episode_honestly_teenage_kate_taking_an/

Latest Episode “Honestly” - Teenage Kate taking an ovulation test? Am I missing something??? Weren’t they eluding that she was pregnant and had an abortion or did I just totally miss something?

One of the comments - "Preview shows her and Mark together and he says he really missed her. I think she is purposely getting pregnant and the reunion is very carefully planned and timed." So I might have been right? We won't know till January.

(Can I go to bed now?)

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
How did any of you see the word "ovulation"? I thought it was a pregnancy test & it was obvious that she had an abortion while her family was in New York.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Agree!! That was awesome. Kate has come a VERY long way since this show began years ago! :cheer:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Next week’s episode looks like an award winner and also one where a full Kleenex box will be needed.

It sounds like it will be a lot like Memphis was in the first season and I needed about three boxes of Kleenex for that one. Should be amazing to watch though! :cheer: :fragile: :eek:

BaileyCatts

Whoever cast Teen Kate in that role deserves an award for finding her, as does the actress for her acting. Its amazing (to me anyway) how much she is like Adult Kate. She looks like a young Kate; the two actresses look like they could be sisters. Her mannerisms and behavior is totally believable to how Adult Kate is now. Its one thing to recite lines of script, but everything about her presentation is just so believable as a younger version of Adult Kate that its almost like the same person acting in the two roles. At least to me it is.

However, Teen (Now College) Kevin is starting to annoy. I don't like College Kevin. At all. :slinkaway

And Madison .... girl you are with an a-c-t-o-r. An actors job is to go make movies which require being away from home for like 3 or more months at a time to make the freaking movie. Its his j-o-b. Don't get all 'but you have to stay home with mmmmeeeeee and we have to be a ffffaaaammmmmiiiilllllyyyyyy' when you know he is a freaking a-c-t-o-r and his j-o-b, which is going to provide the financial resources needed for you and your children, requires him to be away from home! What did she think he was going to do? Just quit acting now that, after like 20 years and he's on the verge of becoming a major movie star, he just quits to stay home with her? I hate women who act like that. :blah: Since we never saw the woman who Kevin is with in the flash-forward, I kinda hope they don't get married and just amicably co-parent the kids and he still ends up with Sophie.

It will be interesting to see how the whole Laurel story will play out because how come she never went back 'home' after she got outta the hospital? William was still living in that same apartment 30 years later. How come she didn't try to find her baby? Did she possibly find him, saw he had a good life with his family, and decide not to contact him? In her drug haze, did she think the baby died and just never went back to William? So many ways this story could go. I still think he will have another sibling via Laurel that we will meet before the end of the show.

manhn

Yeah I didn’t quite understand Madison’s issue. I get her not want to follow him around, but I don’t see the issue about her staying at home with the kids while he travels for work. But I did forget that Kevin did just that with Sophie and he screwed that up badly.

I love Teen Kate. My favourite character besides Rebecca.

skategal

Bunny mama
Can’t wait to see the Laurel storyline.

I am thinking that by the time she woke up in hospital, she was already detoxed from drugs and probably had family there with her (contacted by the hospital) who took her back home with them to start a new life.

Teen Kate rocks and so does Beth. Madison is annoying.

taf2002

Beth has always rocked. And I agree about teen Kate. And I loved adult Kate's story in this episode.

Sylvia

TBD
Next week’s episode looks like an award winner and also one where a full Kleenex box will be needed.

ETA that the article I linked above was a very enlightening read for me.

8 behind-the-scenes photos from this episode: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9oRb-LKYP/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
OMG, the love story of two characters we barely know has me in deep deep sobs.
Last night's episode was so beautiful! I felt like I was watching a movie. Loved it!
15-minute roundtable chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwWQRHC5z8
Sterling K. Brown and Susan Kelechi Watson sit down with writer Eboni Freeman and writer/director Kay Oyegun for an in-depth discussion of "Birth Mother" - a pivotal This Is Us episode touching on race, faith, family and so much more.

BaileyCatts

Okay maybe its just the mood I'm in right now but all I was thinking was ... sssoooo she can't call William and tell him she got arrested cause they don't have a phone, but at this point it was only like 3-5 days later after she OD'd, not months and months and months and months, wasn't it? Makes sense ... no phone, no callin' ... but you know your address, can't you write him a letter and tell him you in jail, and oh by the way, how's my baby doin'? She had a lawyer, she can't tell him to go tell William she in jail cause they ain't gotta phone, and oh by the way find out how my baby's doin'? :slinkaway

From the previews, next week's episode is going to make me equally :wall:.

I think maybe I need to just keep all the rest of the season on my DVR and go back and watch them again in the summer when I'm not in such a pissy mood. :shuffle: :p

manhn

She was in a jail cell--do you get to write letters in there? She was sent to prison in California due to overcrowding. There, she would more likely be able to writer a letter but what would be the point? Would she expect William (she probably assumes he is caring for him) to move? I think you underestimate the post-partum depression (there is a reason she relapsed after giving birth) and the regular old depression of being imprisoned. Her shame and guilt was clearly displayed on screen, IMO.

She had a lawyer, she can't tell him to go tell William she in jail cause they ain't gotta phone, and oh by the way find out how my baby's doin'?

I mean, do you really need that answered?

BaileyCatts

Uh, yeah I do really need that answered. She had a lawyer that she spoke to on clearly more than one occasion. She.had.a.lawyer. Tell the lawyer 'I had a baby the day I OD'd. Someone needs to make sure that baby is okay'. She has no clue that William thinks she died. So you are saying that lawyers are such despicable, horrible human beings that he wouldn't make even a simple attempt to contact William and find out where that new born baby is? I would certainly hope a lawyer would contact your relative and let them know you are in jail and at least would want to make sure that new born baby was being taken care of.

And yeah, people in jail can write letters. Wow, here's a thought, she could write a letter and give it to her lawyer to mail? She didn't get arrested, plead guilty, get sentenced and get sent to Cali all in one day. That took months and months to occur. No, of course he's not gonna up and move to Cali, but contact him and tell him what happened and ask how my baby doin'? Its like 'oh we don't have a phone so there's absolutely no way I can ever contact William and find out if my baby is okay ... oh well'. I thought the whole story was dumb and didn't think it was cry worthy at all. Based on the previews, next week will be even worse. My opinion, YMMV. :blah:

skategal

Bunny mama
I just assumed that the lawyer would have checked that the baby was in the child protection system and told Laurel that.

At that point parental rights may have already been terminated as Randall was abandoned so not much that Laurel could really do.

taf2002

I just assumed that the lawyer would have checked that the baby was in the child protection system and told Laurel that.

At that point parental rights may have already been terminated as Randall was abandoned so not much that Laurel could really do.
I don't know about Pennsylvania but in Texas an abandoned baby's parents aren't stripped of parental rights that fast. For one thing they have to make every effort to find the birth parents & if they do the BP can sign away their rights which will speed up the whole thing. But if not they will probably place the baby as a foster but they can't assume anything until a judge makes a final ruling. The entire thing usually takes about 4-5 months or even more. (Remember Rebecca & Jack couldn't adopt Randall right away. He looked to be about 6 or 7 months old when they did.)

IMO no TV show can cover every scenerio. IRL Laurel's lawyer would have prob made an effort to find William & the baby. So I assumed in this story he did but failed. BTW I liked William until the episode where he left Laurel's body & never went back. What a weenie!

skategal

Bunny mama
I don't know about Pennsylvania but in Texas an abandoned baby's parents aren't stripped of parental rights that fast. For one thing they have to make every effort to find the birth parents & if they do the BP can sign away their rights which will speed up the whole thing. But if not they will probably place the baby as a foster but they can't assume anything until a judge makes a final ruling. The entire thing usually takes about 4-5 months or even more. (Remember Rebecca & Jack couldn't adopt Randall right away. He looked to be about 6 or 7 months old when they did.)

IMO no TV show can cover every scenerio. IRL Laurel's lawyer would have prob made an effort to find William & the baby. So I assumed in this story he did but failed. BTW I liked William until the episode where he left Laurel's body & never went back. What a weenie!
I’m sure parental rights aren’t terminated as easily now in Pennsylvania either but who knows back in 1980 when one parent was in jail and the other in poverty and associated with drugs?

My friend was adopted in 1971 in Canada and the rules here were pretty lax at that time compared to today.

But yeah, from the very beginning of this show the audience has to fill in a lot of blanks themselves....especially concerning Randall’s adoption.

Like for starters, Rebecca and Jack being able to become foster parents on the spot, take him home immediately and being able to adopt Randall ahead of all the other waiting parents. :rolleyes:

Susan1

o.k. - I just watched this. The early story was a tear jerker. Made me forget what show this was. But the later stuff? So her aunt had that vegetable stand until she apparently died? And Hi got married and had kids and only had a fish stand in a farmer's market for what 30 years? He lives somewhere else but kept that house in pristine condition - dishes, microwave, etc. since she died in 2015? What happened to the estate the parents lived on? Randall could sue to get that too as the only living relative. They should be doing DNA tests. And the end there, all that dark water with only their heads showing, made me think of a scary movie where the dead person comes out of the water to take the person they love to a watery grave to be with them. I know she didn't die in the water. But Randall is such a mess already, the final episode of the season could have been him just letting go and sinking to the bottom.

As for Kevin (hope this works) -

taf2002

I was glad to watch "The Cabin" again. I picked up so much that hadn't registered the 1st time.

Sylvia

TBD
Another week to wait...
The next episode of “This Is Us,” which was originally scheduled to air Jan. 19 and then pushed to Feb. 2 due to coronavirus-related production delays, has been rescheduled again, TheWrap has learned.
Episode 507, titled “There,” which is the seventh episode of the NBC drama’s fifth season, will now air next Tuesday, Feb. 9. A rerun of “This Is Us” will play tomorrow night in its 9 p.m. time slot.
The promo for Episode 507 of “This Is Us,” which aired immediately after the Jan. 12 installment, showed Kevin’s (Justin Hartley) car off the road, after it was revealed at the end of the hour that Madison (Caitlin Thompson) was in labor and he was rushing home from Vancouver to make it in time for the birth of their twins.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm just gonna leave this here until others chime in after watching the new ep tonight. This is literally the ONE thing from tonight that is bothering me to the point that I tweeted the head producer about it, LOL :lol:

Where the heck is your passport Kevin Pearson and how the heck did you get across the Canada-US border if you don't have one?!??!

manhn

As a Vancouverite...

Kevin was already across the border by the time he saw the accident. His phone says he was 57 minutes from SeaTac, which means he was in the US by the time he viewed the crash. We saw him drop the wallet but his passport could have been inside the jacket, which he used to turniquet Joshua Malina’s leg.

The scene with Randall and Beth had me sobbing. Please next weeks episode actually air next week!

Does the US not have any quarantine rules when traveling from another country? In the previous episode, Kevin did not mention having to quarantine for 14 days when he landed in Canada but since he was going to be there for 4 weeks it didn’t really matter. Would the hospital or an airline allow Kevin to enter if he disclosed the fact that he was recently in another country?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information