Status
Not open for further replies.

SkateFanBerlin

Enjoyed the Polina/Gracie chat. Wished they had the nerve to discuss 2016 nationals. I know Polina had injuries but not winning - again - seemed to knock the wind out of her sails.

Sylvia

TBD
Bradie Tennell's article on US Figure Skating Fanzone (it's from Dec 03, but i did not see it here on the last 3 pages, if it has been posted already, pls let me know).
Bradie's article by Megan Sauer actually is dated Dec. 9 (yesterday) - thanks for posting the link!
ETA: @AngieNikodinovLove, in case you missed seeing this article and the Bradie/Amber video USFS posted last month on social media: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHtZeASA3uk/

How well do @amberglenniceskater and @bradietennell really know each other ⁉️
Enjoyed the Polina/Gracie chat. Wished they had the nerve to discuss 2016 nationals. I know Polina had injuries but not winning - again - seemed to knock the wind out of her sails.
Polina has an episode all about her challenging season in 2015-16 (stories from Champs Camp, the Grand Prix season & Nationals) - link to listen is here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/polina-edmunds.107522/#post-5912467

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I enjoyed Polina as a skater. But now, when I hear her name, all I can think of is those hideous GWTW curls!
Ohhhh
Myyyyyyy
Gagaaaaaaaaa

That is hilarious and it’s the same thing for me. Now whenever I hear her name I don’t think of her very cool short program from 2014 I think of her with the gone with the wind curls as well

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Good for Alysa finding Jeremy to coach her in person. I couldn't understand how a technically struggling skater could benefit from Zoom lessons internationally. Let's hope she finds her new groove. Even if she is off the podium at Nationals, this year has been such a clusterF that she won't lose any momentum compared to other girls. This might be Bell's only year to win a national title, but I don't think a win for her would launch her into any new 'level'. We've seen what Bell is capable of, and it's not amazing, but it's pleasant and nice. I'm wondering how Amber Glenn's training is going. I like her more than Bell and Bradie.

Erin

Banned Member
I don’t really understand why Liu left Lipetsky during the current world situation, or at least without going to a US-based technical coach. But I’m glad she has something that is working better for her now and if there is a year to take the time to work through a growth spurt, this is it. I hope she comes through it successfully.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don’t really understand why Liu left Lipetsky during the current world situation, or at least without going to a US-based technical coach. But I’m glad she has something that is working better for her now and if there is a year to take the time to work through a growth spurt, this is it. I hope she comes through it successfully.
I believe she left L before we all got La Lockdown.

I wish her well...but this all sounds like a hot mess.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I believe she left L before we all got La Lockdown.

I wish her well...but this all sounds like a hot mess.

Correct. The disappointing bronze at Jr Worlds happened the first week of March 2020, before lockdown. Valieva and Usacheva beat Liu.

Willin

Honestly based on Bay Area skating culture I'm 100% sure USFSA had a heavy hand in that decision. Plenty of good Bay Area tech (and dance) coaches are available to help if she wanted to leave Lipetsky (which I'm also not convinced of), but they're not the big names USFSA likes.

RoseRed

Honestly based on Bay Area skating culture I'm 100% sure USFSA had a heavy hand in that decision. Plenty of good Bay Area tech (and dance) coaches are available to help if she wanted to leave Lipetsky (which I'm also not convinced of), but they're not the big names USFSA likes.
They may have. Or it may have been largely Lori Nichol's influence/advice, given that IIRC, three skaters she was working with switched to Lee within a few months (Satoko, Vincent, and then Alysa - though Vincent has since switched back due to the border closures).

NAOTMAA

Hersh's article:
If she's not doing a quad or 3A at nationals then her PCS need to take a big drop. She was getting an extra PCS bonus beyond normal nationals inflation the last two years solely because she was doing those ultra hard jumps. Now that she's not and is doing a normal layout equal to all the others the bonus should be taken away. Bradie, Mariah, Karen and Amber are by far way superior to Alysa in the PCS and the second mark now needs to reflect that.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Me either!!!! I’ve never ever ever understood the nonsensical reason for musical coaching changes that goes back quite a ways now. This past season if you consider the global situation there’s been plenty of coaching changes. And if you asked me they rarely and I mean rarely pan out in my opinion. Even Michelle Kwan, no reason to leave Frank. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it..... it made Rafael’s career sure, but did not much for hers!

The only good one I can think of is the queen and goddess Herself.... you guessed it .... The multi talented, multi faceted, multi gold medal winning Angela Nikodinov!!!!! Yassss mamaaaaa

I credit Nicole Bobek for this madness! Lolz. Every time I turned on the TV in the 90s she was standing next to someone new!

I also don’t expect Tom to do anything major for my girl Bradie. But like I said that’s just me!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m excited to see what Jeremy can do. He didn’t have the best luck in competition but he is an amazing skater

Except that he won a senior Grand Prix Final fairly early in his career (!)...and some Sr Nationals...but, indeed, many on this board noted his “Puke Face” right before he took to the ice. Wonderful stylist, tough.

feraina

So relieved Alysa has somebody. Although very inexperienced as a coach and notoriously bad with competition nerves, Jeremy is still much better than a dance coach or zoom coaches. And he definitely has experience with 3A and quads. Luckily Alysa has natural nerves of steel - if puberty hasn’t messed too much with her confidence. Jeremy could be great for her - between the excellent skating skills and technical prowess. He also has a lot of time and energy to devote to her. I’m really beyond relieved that she now has this arrangement.

Hey after all Brian Orser was also super new to coaching when he took on yuna kim. It just depends on how naturally suited Jeremy is to coaching.

Erin

Banned Member
I hope Liu picks up some skating skill tips from Jeremy, but no tips on how to handle competition nerves, please :yikes:

I’m not really that worried about this aspect. Alysa was already pretty good at dealing with competition nerves. And I’ve seen situations where a nervous competitor turns out to be a good coach because they know a lot about what doesn’t work.

Sylvia

TBD
Mariah Bell performed her ABBA free skate in Great Park Ice's holiday exhibition yesterday and her FS music has been edited to remove the short "Dancing Queen" intro. It now starts with "The Winner Takes It All" (first half), followed by the same final 2 songs -- "Mamma Mia" (slightly extended from before?) and "Thank You For the Music."

Vagabond

Mariah Bell performed her ABBA free skate in Great Park Ice's holiday exhibition yesterday and her FS music has been edited to remove the short "Dancing Queen" intro. It now starts with "The Winner Takes It All" (first half), followed by the same final 2 songs -- "Mamma Mia" (slightly extended from before?) and "Thank You For the Music."
Thank you, Mariah Bell, for altering the music. ;)

UGG

I’m not really that worried about this aspect. Alysa was already pretty good at dealing with competition nerves. And I’ve seen situations where a nervous competitor turns out to be a good coach because they know a lot about what doesn’t work.

I’m not saying this to be Debbie Downer but skating as a 70 pound girl who has zero pressure to make the world team is completely different than being a 2 time US Champ with a completely different physique, not landing jumps 1 year before the Olympics.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I’m not saying this to be Debbie Downer but skating as a 70 pound girl who has zero pressure to make the world team is completely different than being a 2 time US Champ with a completely different physique, not landing jumps 1 year before the Olympics.
No it’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information