From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Anastasia Tarakanova: "It is very important for an athlete to work with a coach who believes in her."

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I thought it had to be 15 minutes of close contact to count as an exposure that requires quarantine. Certainly a dance partner like Jon would qualify but there could be other circumstances where someone at the rink got it but others who skate on different sessions wouldn't necessarily have to. Like when there's a case in a school the whole school doesn't have to quarantine, just the students in the immediate vicinity.
Never heard that one.
I don't have a great answer about Russian skaters an the virus. But I do know that on tv the coaches for the most part had the mask under their nose. Even my beloved Moskvina. Might as well have nothing on. And I think people are not supposed to be bugging. Social distancing and all that.
Then there is the transport back and forth. So many ways to get infected.
I have not heard of either American or Japanese skaters getting the virus.

This whole thing is a mess. Could we please wake up and have it be spring of next year?

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I thought it had to be 15 minutes of close contact to count as an exposure that requires quarantine. Certainly a dance partner like Jon would qualify but there could be other circumstances where someone at the rink got it but others who skate on different sessions wouldn't necessarily have to. Like when there's a case in a school the whole school doesn't have to quarantine, just the students in the immediate vicinity.
Let’s hope the v*rus has a stopwatch, to be able to distinguish who is off limits and who is a fair game.

Ena Grins

That is very risky business bird. I had the air conditioning guys in my house today and they start on the outside and work in the garage first I asked them to put on masks when they came inside because they were not going to.

I don't understand why anyone would not wear a mask I had someone bring me cookies on Thanksgiving and she had a mask at the front door. I live in a pretty small town in Florida and our high school is like number 10 in the state for *********-19. I'm wondering how in the world is as possible since like 99% of the people in this area wear a mask when they go out.
There's been a lot of evidence lately showing it's small indoor gatherings where people aren't wearing masks/keeping distance/being around each other for several hours driving a lot of the YKW spread lately, at least in the US. Which is part of why Rostelecom and the Russian Cup competitions have been so concerning given the potential there.

seabm7

starrynight

Has Tuktamysheva got it too? Just saw some Instagram posts wishing her recovery?

Edit: I just went back and read that yes it’s c19

Ugh. After watching her get hospitalised with Pneumonia in the 2018/2019 season and miss worlds this sucks.

The lack of safety for athletes sucks when their seasons and chances gets derailed by this illness.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

I wonder what thought process was in place that allowed such a cavalier attitude regarding something so dangerous.

starrynight

A lot of sports are continuing around the world ... even really close contact sports like rugby union. But the difference is that they are professional sports for adults and rigorous bubbles have been put in place. I've read that in places like the UK, even the number of people the athletes' domestic household can even contact is limited. (So much so that a Welsh rugby player's wife moved to Australia temporarily to be with family because she couldn't look after 4 very young children without help whilst he was away and whilst she couldn't have people come into the house).

Long term bubbles like that would be really hard with a sport like skating. In some of the training centres, the 'elite' training is all kids under 16 and lots of them as young as 12. They need to go home to families, who need to work and so separating them from the spread in society isn't possible.

Of course, protective measures at events would help, but even that doesn't stop it getting into training centres in the first place. Anyway, I hope these vaccines the scientist are developing work effectively.

Last edited:

starrynight

Well if she's asymptomatic and has been tested, I think that at least means that there's some testing procedure for all athletes (even those who feel healthy) going on at her rink. And at least there's honesty about what is going on.

Ka3sha

Russian Sports Minister Oleg Matytsin commented on the situation:
We regret the outbreak of coronavirus in the Russian national figure skating team, we wish all athletes a speedy recovery. Should Russian Nationals be postponed or cancelled? This is a question for the federation. They know the situation in detail, and, above all, we will focus on ensuring the health of athletes and minimizing the risks of the spread of coronavirus infection. We are waiting for some concrete proposals from the federation"

Ka3sha

Anyway ... I read on twitter that Kostornaya is apparently asymptomatic, so hopefully she will recover well.
According to Yana Rudkovskaya, Kostornaia tested positive but is asymptomatic, she only lost her sense of smell yesterday.
Pluschenko and Rozanov did four tests, all negative. But she also added that her family and Rozanov have already had c19 sometime ago.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Well if she's asymptomatic and has been tested, I think that at least means that there's some testing procedure for all athletes (even those who feel healthy) going on at her rink. And at least there's honesty about what is going on.

There is a lot of testing going on for skaters in Russia.
Before all competitions, all skaters have to have a negative test or they cannot compete.
At Tiff's rink, they are all tested weekly or they are not allowed to skate.
Skaters are routinely tested if they are in any way sick, no matter if the symptoms are not C19 type symptoms

AxelAnnie

A lot of sports are continuing around the world ... even really close contact sports like rugby union. But the difference is that they are professional sports for adults and rigorous bubbles have been put in place. I've read that in places like the UK, even the number of people the athletes' domestic household can even contact is limited. (So much so that a Welsh rugby player's wife moved to Australia temporarily to be with family because she couldn't look after 4 very young children without help whilst he was away and whilst she couldn't have people come into the house).

Long term bubbles like that would be really hard with a sport like skating. In some of the training centres, the 'elite' training is all kids under 16 and lots of them as young as 12. They need to go home to families, who need to work and so separating them from the spread in society isn't possible.

Of course, protective measures at events would help, but even that doesn't stop it getting into training centres in the first place. Anyway, I hope these vaccines the scientist are developing work effectively.
I think death would be a lot harder.

zebraswan

Testing is obviously important, but it's not going to stop spread if people aren't following the basic protocols of mask wearing and social distancing as much as possible. Just ask the White House. We have so many examples of policy failures here (or no policy at all) and I don't think anyone wants to see the same mistakes repeated elsewhere.

But there will never be any culture change as long as the Rusfed and others keep going on the defensive and dismissing any criticism. The Soviet mentality isn't going to die until some of those fossils do. Why don't they understand that nobody wants to see the futures of all these young athletes put at risk when it was so easily avoided? It feels like we are watching the longest slow motion car crash ever and nobody can stop it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Testing is obviously important, but it's not going to stop spread if people aren't following the basic protocols of mask wearing and social distancing as much as possible. Just ask the White House. We have so many examples of policy failures here (or no policy at all) and I don't think anyone wants to see the same mistakes repeated elsewhere.

But there will never be any culture change as long as the Rusfed and others keep going on the defensive and dismissing any criticism. The Soviet mentality isn't going to die until some of those fossils do. Why don't they understand that nobody wants to see the futures of all these young athletes put at risk when it was so easily avoided? It feels like we are watching the longest slow motion car crash ever and nobody can stop it.
Dismissing criticism is rampant in the USA Too, since you are talking of culture change. People don’t want to wear masks, they want to have family gatherings, going to church, etc. They even go to courts to get the right to be sick.

Scott512

There's been a lot of evidence lately showing it's small indoor gatherings where people aren't wearing masks/keeping distance/being around each other for several hours driving a lot of the YKW spread lately, at least in the US. Which is part of why Rostelecom and the Russian Cup competitions have been so concerning given the potential there.
You knowthat makes sense. People naturally feel more comfortable at home than outside and the C19 world. Maybe that even goes for athletes and locker rooms and training facilities where athletes are indoors thinking they're all healthy and nobody's going to get anything.

DobrinFan

Boikova/Kozlovskii are out of CupV due to illness.

Sylvia

TBD

Tinami Amori

Laishev, director of Sambo-70, heard some rumors that Eteri has a cold and taking time off and repeated it to the press.
Eteri, Gleikh and Dudakov sent him a message that everyone is healthy and at work.

.... according to the web-followers, 58 minutes after Tutberidze team posted the above video, Plushenko came up with this... :)

starrynight

Maybe this will be an educational moment for skating and the safety measures will be tightened now.

Better late than never, I suppose. Coaching teams will be feeling the real hurt of their athletes being off ice prior to the nationals.

I'm just not happy about this season being so externally affected by illness. If Nationals goes ahead it will probably just be about rolling the dice of who didn't get c19 and suffer bad symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information