ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Dobre

These young athletes shake it off and then go on with their careers and lives like nothing happened.
Shpilevaya seems to have had a very rough go; and training a long program is rough enough on an athlete without having respiratory or heart-related issues impact one's conditioning. Hopefully the vast majority of young people will go forward successfully from this, but I would not minimize what athletes are going through in the recovery process.

Scott512

I don't see the point of not having awards, and if MLB had threatened to eliminate them, you'd probably have a players' strike. A number of contracts include incentives for winning various awards.
Only because it was far less than half a season. the teams that excelled deserve credit.

olympic

I was re-directed here by @Sylvia and missed a lot of the convo ^

I do hope we get to have Worlds in some form. I am happy that we got to see some skating on the GP this Fall but don't want to see anyone's health / life put in jeopardy just to see skating unless there is a feasible way to do so. It looks like a late Worlds in the Spring just might work ...

starrynight

Public gatherings in Sweden have been reduced to 8 people and there's had to be a lot of backtracking after the country's experiment of herd immunity hasn't worked.

Not sure where that positions mass international entry to the country for 2021 Worlds.

I'd be surprised if we see any of the foreign athletes training at Canada at Worlds - as it stands, they can't re-enter Canada if they leave.

Also - who pays for the flights? Is this a federation thing? I imagine international flights are really expensive at the moment.

Sylvia

TBD
Also - who pays for the flights? Is this a federation thing? I imagine international flights are really expensive at the moment.
From the 2021 Worlds Announcement (page 5): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-skating-championships-2021-announcement/file
In accordance with Rule 137 the expenses are regulated as follows:
a) All expenses for accommodation and meals for all Competitors participating in the Championships will be
covered by the Organizing Committee during the period beginning with dinner on Sunday, March 21,
2021 and ending with lunch on Monday, March 29, 2021.
It is the responsibility of the participating Members to make the necessary travel plans and arrangements for
their Skaters.
Travel expenses will be paid in accordance with Rule 137.
ETA that ISU Rule 137 doesn't say anything about the host federation paying for the competitors' travel expenses - I thought they did previously? Or I'm mixing it up with the Grand Prix series & Final.

Last edited:

angi

How involved is the ISU in the way the GP events are conducted? Rostelecom holding not only a gala but also a banquet where the skaters are all sitting around a table and eating while watching a live show and perhaps dancing, with no masks whatsoever and zero social distancing in the middle of a p*ndemic is just something I can't comprehend. Russian skaters have been getting YKW at a rapid pace, so to hold a spreading-party is mind-blowingly irresponsible.

Sylvia

TBD
How involved is the ISU in the way the GP events are conducted?
I don't see anything re. post-competition banquets in the ISU's GUIDELINES FOR ISU EVENTS DURING THE C0VID-19 P*NDEMIC figure skating document (published August 31, 2020): https://bit.ly/3kSzrtV

Page 9:

20. Exhibition Gala
At any time of the Exhibition incl. its practice, as soon as several Skaters are on the ice at the same time, all athletes must pay attention to keep the required physical distance and must avoid physical contact to those, who are not their skating partners.
• Group performances for the Opening/Finale of the Exhibition Gala shall be choreographed in a way to keep the minimum required distance
• Group lining with holding hands must be avoided.

D

Deleted member 221

Hasn't Russia had a vaccine for a few months? And even if not, going for herd immunity in the skating community is not a crazy strategy. Most young people bounce back very quickly, if they even realize they have it at all. 9999 out of 10000 people in the typical age ranges of skaters will be just fine even if they get the v*rus.

Miezekatze

Athletes travel all the time, I don't really see that as a problem. There's all sort of skiing and ski jumping going on. I also think there's already rules to make border crossings for athletes simpler in regards to quarantine rules between EU countriesfor examples, I don't see that as a big problem.

I think professional sports is business travel and it's not like that isn't going on again.

angi

Hasn't Russia had a vaccine for a few months? And even if not, going for herd immunity in the skating community is not a crazy strategy. Most young people bounce back very quickly, if they even realize they have it at all. 9999 out of 10000 people in the typical age ranges of skaters will be just fine even if they get the v*rus.
The facepalm emoji was invented for stuff like this.

D

Deleted member 221

I'd like to propose that any post containing the phrase 'herd immunity' be confined to the Worldwide Health Forum pretty please :D: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/forums/the-worldwide-health-forum.408/

Maybe then the mask and social distancing police should mind their own business, or also take those statements to the Worldwide Health Forum?

If we're going to discuss attendance at the gala, let's do so factually, v. making over-the-top statements like a "spreading party" and "mind-blowingly irresponsible." None of us knows with certainty who is vaccinated, who has already had the v*rus, and what kind of testing was done. Through a combination of vaccines and prior exposure, the skaters could already have herd immunity.

In any case, unless those who attended this gala spent the past eight months living under a rock in Siberia, they're fully aware of the risks and consequences, and made an informed choice to attend.

jlai

Question everything
Maybe then the mask and social distancing police should mind their own business, or also take those statements to the Worldwide Health Forum?

If we're going to discuss attendance at the gala, let's do so factually, v. making over-the-top statements like a "spreading party" and "mind-blowingly irresponsible." None of us knows with certainty who is vaccinated, who has already had the v*rus, and what kind of testing was done. Through a combination of vaccines and prior exposure, the skaters could already have herd immunity.

In any case, unless those who attended this gala spent the past eight months living under a rock in Siberia, they're fully aware of the risks and consequences, and made an informed choice to attend.
Thread drifts happen all the time, as do snap judgements. This is where we opine on everything including whether a skater should change coaches or whether they should change programs right? we all know more than experts!

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

Vagabond

You may propose anything you like, but (just as an observation as a fellow board member) I don't see the title of moderator next to your name (nor of mine).
I am not a moderator, and my only titles are Well-Known User and Pressman. Nevertheless, I propose a round of champagne. 🍾 🥂

Meoima

:huh::slinkaway:shuffle::confused:

mjb52

I love the way the Russian team coordinates their outfits in terms of a color scheme for the banquets.

Japanfan

But they might pass the virus onto to older/elderly people, who might not be fine.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
But they might pass the ***** onto to older/elderly people, who might not be fine.
There is an alternative counter-intuitive argument for giving the vaccine first to the most socially active people, who tend to be younger people. That way, they are less likely to spread it to older people.

Dobre

Out of curiosity, does anyone think the junior athletes would like a 1-year extension of the age limit next season prior to entering seniors? Next year is an Olympic season so probably the majority of people who can will want to move up; but I have been feeling for the juniors who probably would have made a lot of noise this season, earned a lot of points, & have earned their way onto next year's GP.

Orm Irian

There is an alternative counter-intuitive argument for giving the vaccine first to the most socially active people, who tend to be younger people. That way, they are less likely to spread it to older people.
As yet we don't know whether the vaccines that have been developed so far actually prevent the transmission of/infection with SARS-CoV-2, though, or if they only prevent SARS-CoV-2 from developing into COVID-19. If it's the latter, then vaccinating the socially active/young won't do a thing to protect anyone else. Until we have more data it's better to stick with what we know does work and vaccinate the most vulnerable (the elderly, healthcare workers, essential workers, etc).

Miezekatze

I also read in a report from Biontech on side effects of the vaccine that older probants reported less and milder side effects. That might be another reason why the vulnerable might be more willing to get vaccinated (apart from that they need the vaccine more).

MsZem

I see the sea
I also read in a report from Biontech on side effects of the vaccine that older probants reported less and milder side effects. That might be another reason why the vulnerable might be more willing to get vaccinated (apart from that they need the vaccine more).
Who needs the vaccine more: the people most at risk, or those more likely to spread it? Young people are being asked to make real sacrifices to their education and social lives, which are important at those ages and have long-term implications. It benefits society to make sure young people are not at the bottom of the priority list.

Also, check out the medical/vaccine news thread, because AstraZeneca announced some promising stage 3 results today. If multiple vaccines using different technologies become available within the next few months, it may well be possible to optimize vaccine distribution based on various factors.

Last edited:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Out of curiosity, does anyone think the junior athletes would like a 1-year extension of the age limit next season prior to entering seniors? Next year is an Olympic season so probably the majority of people who can will want to move up; but I have been feeling for the juniors who probably would have made a lot of noise this season, earned a lot of points, & have earned their way onto next year's GP.
That’s an interesting thought.

I feel so bad for the Juniors. The JGP is such great experience and it got cancelled, and I really can’t see Junior Worlds happening in China. I think it will get cancelled. I would like to see them delay it if they do the same with Worlds.

euterpe

Who needs the vaccine more: the people most at risk, or those more likely to spread it? Young people are being asked to make real sacrifices to their education and social lives, which are important at those ages and have long-term implications. It benefits society to make sure young people are not at the bottom of the priority list.

Also, check out the medical/vaccine news thread, because AstraZeneca announced some promising stage 3 results today. If multiple vaccines using different technologies become available within the next few months, it may well be possible to optimize vaccine distribution based on various factors.
The at-risk people are far more likely to DIE from ***** than young people, many of whom never even develop symptoms from the disease. Education and socializing can't possibly have a greater priority than life itself.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
My understanding is that vaccines will go to the younger adults first as that group tends to be healthy and more mobile. At risk population like front line workers and health care workers hopefully will all get the vaccine. What I’m wondering about is the super young (under 18) and those more frail in health. Is getting the vaccine a must or is it optional? I’m a little nervous as it’s still a very new vaccine.

i also saw somewhere that an airline won’t allow anti-vaxxers to fly if they won’t get the vaccine. How and should we be enforcing this behaviour? Will we start carrying health cards? I’m all for getting the vaccine myself but it’s also strange times to be upfront about your medical history. Will people who had it in the past be denied boarding?

MsZem

I see the sea
The at-risk people are far more likely to DIE from ***** than young people, many of whom never even develop symptoms from the disease. Education and socializing can't possibly have a greater priority than life itself.
Education and socializing are not minor things. Young people's well-being and future depend on it - the rest of their lives. You can check out the article I posted in the news and experiences thread, for a sobering look at what many young people are dealing with.

This is not an easy decision, but the point I was making wasn't just about who will suffer the most adverse effects. If there's a vaccine that can prevent transmission, we need to think about who is more likely to spread the disease. I'll repost this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information