From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meoima

Do you really think that ANY coach can stop Trusova from jumping when and how she wants? I am sure Trusova complained to Pluschenko about Tutberidze/Dudakov trying to control her jumping, and Pluschenko is going to do just the opposite. He also knows that Trusova's father does not like his daughter limited on jumps, and that father has a very loud mouth.... :)
Some people should not be parents.

Lilia A

Trusova was wearing what looks to be kinesiology tape during the SP practice on her right leg. Not a lot. I'm not sure if she wore any during the actual SP, but today she was heavily taped. Taped enough for me to notice, at least. Mostly her right hamstring and a little bit in the inner thigh. I didn't see any tape on the left leg.
May have been injured or in pain since before the SP. May have exacerbated the injury since the SP or maybe it's was just a precautionary measure? I sure hope it's nothing serious and she can recover well.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The judges don't seem to agree but I love Sophia's voidy short program and her interpretation of it.
The judges gave her 13 points higher PCS than TES, so I think they do like the program! She's been doing well in PCS this season. It's a matter of bringing her TES up to match it.

muffinplus

I was going to say there is plenty to critique about her skating, but not her jump technique. I agree she generally has the best jump technique of anyone competing right now. She is often cited as the textbook example of how one is to properly execute them. Her jumps are all rooted in proper technique and are not dependent upon whipping around and contorting a prepubescent body

For someone with great technique, Tuktamysheva doesn't seem capable of doing a consistent triple-triple which is strange. Kudos to her though. Also, pre-pubescent bodies, really? Zagitova is still jumping triples AFAIK... she just doesn't want to compete. That said, I am sure she could still jump her Oympics content if she really wanted to...her technique is not gone

syzygy

For someone with great technique, Tuktamysheva doesn't seem capable of doing a consistent triple-triple which is strange. Kudos to her though. Also, pre-pubescent bodies, really? Zagitova is still jumping triples AFAIK... she just doesn't want to compete. That said, I am sure she could still jump her Oympics content if she wanted to...
Agree with all of this. Her technique is nowhere near the best.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I’m still on the fence about SinKats’ FD. If it wasn’t MJ, it would be massively better. If they wanted Come Together, they could have done a Beatles mashup - maybe with Something and/or Eleanor Rigby??

I sort of see what they’re going for...but it looks wrong, and I bloody hope that lift at the end looks very different next time we see it.

Perky Shae Lynn

Can someone explain why Boikova/Kozlovski's costuming/packaging is so much better than Mishina/Galliamov?
The packaging reflects their skating personas. B/K are the classic, sophisticated champions; and M/G are the young, spunky challengers. Of course B/K are actually younger, but their vibe is "old skating glamour." Off the ice Boikova looks like a child. :rofl:

NAOTMAA

I think Moskvina is trying to force M/G to become better performers. They already got the tech. goods and now what they need is the PCS. It's already working in the short and maybe not so much in the long at this moment but I think as time goes on it could definitely get there. I think their free skate has big potential to be one of those "blow the roof off the house" type programs

B/K in comparison are already natural performers and what they need is polishing and sophistication so their programs reflect that. She's pushing them to be more mature just as she's pushing M/G to be more expressive

muffinplus

I’m still on the fence about SinKats’ FD. If it wasn’t MJ, it would be massively better. If they wanted Come Together, they could have done a Beatles mashup - maybe with Something and/or Eleanor Rigby??

I sort of see what they’re going for...but it looks wrong, and I bloody hope that lift at the end looks very different next time we see it.

It's just dull and unexciting. Like their RD is old-school / can be called boring, but it's very well done. This FD is just a miss... and that facepalm Vika had in the K&C during the lift replay... I was facepalming right with her at that lift.

Natanielle825

Pushing your kids for quads even when they’re injured isn’t something a responsible parent would do. I don’t even think it’s a must for the kids to limit their quads, but once you’re hurt, back down, it’s normal and responsible.
Someone said she was injured. Then someone said her coaches shouldn't have forced her to jump. Then someone said her dad forced her. And you just assume it's true? If her dad forced her to jump injured, sure, that would be bad, but you're just guessing.

Meoima

For someone with great technique, Tuktamysheva doesn't seem capable of doing a consistent triple-triple which is strange. Kudos to her though. Also, pre-pubescent bodies, really? Zagitova is still jumping triples AFAIK... she just doesn't want to compete. That said, I am sure she could still jump her Oympics content if she really wanted to...her technique is not gone
Ehm... have you seen Zagitova in shows lately? I highly doubt the current Zagitova could perform her Olympic content without < and << in many of her jump passes.

Meoima

Someone said she was injured. Then someone said her coaches shouldn't have forced her to jump. Then someone said her dad forced her. And you just assume it's true? If her dad forced her to jump injured, sure, that would be bad, but you're just guessing.
True, I apologize that I might have assumed her father forced her to jump while injured. Those were just rumors, as several rumors about her parents being a bit of helicopter ever since she was a junior. It’s true that we can not say 100% her parents forced her or encouraged her to do quads even when she is injured. Just rumors, so if those rumors were true, it’s truly ew.

Bigbird

True, I apologize that I might have assumed her father forced her to jump while injured. Those were just rumors, as several rumors about her parents being a bit of helicopter ever since she was a junior. It’s true that we can not say 100% her parents forced her or encouraged her to do quads even when she is injured. Just rumors, so if those rumors were true, it’s truly ew.
I think Trusova jumps what she wants to jump and only metal screws will stop her. And Daddy and Plushy indulge. But seriously if she was in pain don't they know she could be seriously injured? Or is this how we overcome ourselves, Russian style? Sigh.

muffinplus

Ehm... have you seen Zagitova in shows lately? I highly doubt the current Zagitova could perform her Olympic content without < and << in many of her jump passes.
Current Zagitova obviously not...as she isn't training to skate competitively, but if she went back and trained "seriously" full time, yes, I do believe, she would eventually be able to do all her old content. She had at least 2 clean programs last year without < and << (Test Skates and Japan Open were both clean performances).Please tell me who hasn't had problems when going through puberty . (Tuktamysheva had issues as well for a year or two after winning Worlds). But she hasn't lost the ability to do triples because she doesn't have a "tiny" body anymore. Anways, nothing further that I want to discuss, I just took issue with that comment about Tuktamysheva's great technique and putting down others' technique because of "tiny bodies".

Last edited:

Bigbird

It's just dull and unexciting. Like their RD is old-school / can be called boring, but it's very well done. This FD is just a miss... and that facepalm Vika had in the K&C during the lift replay... I was facepalming right with her at that lift.
They believe they have a masterpiece. And it will not change. They will just practice themselves to the end of oblivion and present something so neat and tidy that whatever the French come with will be considered second rate. The Russians are gunning to get back to their winning ways in dance. So whatever backroom deals will be made they will. Nathalie Pechalat is out of her depth. Only an act of God will allow the French to beat them fair and square going forwards. Do you ever wonder why the rest of the world is always exceedingly nervous at worlds or COR or Europeans? Of course the level of competition is crazy but they are always wary of the Russian fix. If they make one mistake they will be slaughtered. So I really am not invested in them one way or another.

Last edited:

Meoima

Current Zagitova obviously not...as she isn't training to skate competitively, but if she went back and trained "seriously" full time, yes, I do believe, she would eventually be able to do all her old content. She had at least 2 clean programs last year without < and << (Test Skates and Japan Open were both clean performances).Please tell me who hasn't had problems when going through puberty . (Tuktamysheva had issues as well for a year or two after winning Worlds). But she hasn't lost the ability to do triples because she doesn't have a "tiny" body anymore. Anways, nothing further that I want to discuss, I just took issue with that comment about Tuktamysheva's great technique and putting down others' technique because of "tiny bodies".
I watched Zagitova live from row 1 in NHK 2019 (before GPF which was her last competitive one) and I would say no, I highly doubt the current Zagitova could come back and execute her jumps at the Olympic without < and <<. Even if she goes back to Eteri’s regime, I highly doubt it.

muffinplus

I watched Zagitova live from row 1 in NHK 2019 (before GPF which was her last competitive one) and I would say no, I highly doubt the current Zagitova could come back and execute her jumps at the Olympic without < and <<. Even if she goes back to Eteri’s regime, I highly doubt it.

I watched Zagitova at GPF too. So what?. It's obviously she had some bad competitions last year, and yes she had < and <<, but as I said she also had 2 clean skates with <; who hasn't had bad patches? Doesn't mean her career would necessarily be over if she really wanted to get back into it. Again, I didn't say in her current shape...if she trained full time to get back into competitive shape.

Meoima

I watched Zagitova at GPF too. So what?. It's obviously she had some bad competitions last year; who hasn't had bad patches? Doesn't mean her career would be over if she really wanted to get back into it. Again, I didn't say in her current shape...if she trained full time to get back into competitive shape.
It’s obvious that I do not expect Alina Zagitova to come back to competition ever again. And this is not throwing shade at her. She has won everything there is, where is the motivation to come back? And I strongly believe that she won’t be able to compete for the top of the podium even if she starts training seriously again.
I watched her several times after the Olympic and none of those times she landed her jumps cleanly. Even a shot at the podium is difficult. I highly doubt she can perform clean 3-3 combo consistently ever again. And definitely not her Olympic content. Truth is judges forget you very quickly.

muffinplus

It’s obvious that I do not expect Alina Zagitova to come back to competition ever again. And this is hot throwing shade at her. She has won everything there is, she doesn’t have to come back. And I strongly believe that she won’t be able to compete for the top of the podium even if she come back training seriously. Even a shot at the podium is difficult. Judges forget you very quickly.

I don't expect her to come back either, but that's not the point. I am saying I think she still could, and that her reitirement doesn't have to do anything wiht her "bad technique reliant on prepubescent body", but just her being tired of the level of effort needed to stay competitive. "none of the times" is lso a bit of a stretch - like I said Japan Open /Test Skates she looked great for the most part. I don't know why you are so ready to write her off completely and say she would have no chance. Anyways, let's move on to discussing other things about Rostelecom...

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, I doubt it too, but then again I don’t think it would be the body issue. I think she has already achieved the top of the achievements, the gold medal at Olympics every sportman/sportwoman dreams about, and it would be extremely hard to find motivation to do it again. And if there is not enough motivation, of course her fitness would not be the same. But her fitness could be worked on if there was motivation. So it doesn’t really get it down to whether she could do it with this body, but would she want it enough to do anything to win, including whip her body back to competitive shape. But do you blame her that she is not that keen? The pains, the stress, the sacrifices, wasted time and money that she could be spending by doing something enjoyable, all the rigid schedule full of denying herself... and all that for what? She can’t do better than last time, there is no higher place than gold, so all that just to match or do worse than the last time?

Meoima

Well, I doubt it too, but then again I don’t think it would be the body issue. I think she has already achieved the top of the achievements, the gold medal at Olympics every sportman/sportwoman dreams about, and it would be extremely hard to find motivation to do it again. And if there is not enough motivation, of course her fitness would not be the same. But her fitness could be worked on if there was motivation. So it doesn’t really get it down to whether she could do it with this body, but would she want it enough to do anything to win, including whip her body back to competitive shape. But do you blame her that she is not that keen? The pains, the stress, the sacrifices, wasted time and money that she could be spending by doing something enjoyable, all the rigid schedule full of denying herself... and all that for what? She can’t do better than last time, there is no higher place than gold, so all that just to match or do worse than the last time?
But in no sentence I blame it on her fitness anyway. Technically I said the same as you said. My point is, the last several times I saw her live, her jumps were not there and I don’t see the motivation for her to come back. And even if she came back, it is near impossible to jump 3A and quads to be competitive with the current girls. We all see what has happened to Medvedeva even though she still wants to compete. Without 3As and quads, it’s highly unlikely to be competitive at the highest level. Though none of this is Zagitova fault and she has done everything for the sport. I do not ask more of her.

Bigbird

But in no sentence I blame it on her fitness anyway. Technically I said the same as you said. My point is, the last several times I saw her live, her jumps were not there and I don’t see the motivation for her to come back. And even if she came back, it is near impossible to jump 3A and quads to be competitive with the current girls. We all see what has happened to Medvedeva even though she still wants to compete. Without 3As and quads, it’s highly unlikely to be competitive at the highest level. Though none of this is Zagitova fault and she has done everything for the sport. I do not ask more of her.
Zagitova owes nobody a thing. The girl did everything she could and then some. Why the constant need to talk about her retirement, especially by Zhulin? Why doesn't he talk more about his own students? For example when will Hurtado and Khaliavin start skating together? Although to be honest one of my favourite programs ever is Picasso by Hurtado and Diaz. I miss that pair. Sigh.

Meoima

Zagitova owes nobody a thing. The girl did everything she could and then some. Why the constant need to talk about her retirement, especially by Zhulin? Why doesn't he talk more about his own students? For example when will Hurtado and Khaliavin start skating together? Although to be honest one of my favourite programs ever is Picasso by Hurtado and Diaz. I miss that pair. Sigh.
Zhulin talks about Zagitova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information