Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

Sylvia

TBD
Jeremy is scheduled to perform this Saturday in this Nashville area fundraiser show by the Scott Hamilton CARES Foundation: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/scott-hamilton-friends-exhibition-tickets-126986178077
Help Turn Cancer Upside Down™ while enjoying a Scott Hamilton & Friends Exhibition at Ford Ice Center, Bellevue on November 21, 2020 starting at 6:00pm. Local skaters fundraised for cancer research to perform in the show, with special guests, National Champions Gracie Gold, Alissa Czisny and Jeremy Abbott.

"Guest skaters Gracie Gold, Jeremy Abbott & Alissa Czisny will take the ice with skaters from Nashville and our SEGL region... tickets are available to watch the show in safely spaced seating. Please join us in turning cancer upside down with this wonderful event!"

ETA that I've been informed that Jeremy will be recording/submitting a program for this show because of the strict quarantine rules at his current rink in the Bay Area.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Just realized I forgot to post the link to this hour-long Instagram Live chat between Jeremy and Mexico's Ana Cantu Felix (Oct. 20): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGlovgBiEuG/

Re. 2010 Olympics (~29 min. mark):
He said his only goal that season was to qualify/participate in the Olympics and he didn't plan beyond that/set his goals high enough. After he resoundingly won Nationals and qualified, he was like "now what?!"

Re. recovering from his horrendous 4T fall in his 2014 Olympic SP individual event (~39 min. mark):
He said he felt pain, disappointment, confusion (whether or not he was injured or if the referee was going to turn his music off), and then he heard the support from the audience, and that gave him the strength to get up and finish the program - it "allowed me to skate with joy and freedom instead of fear and worry."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article by Darci Miller:
Excerpts:
Abbott, the 2008 Grand Prix Final champion, a two-time Olympian and 2014 Olympic Team Event bronze medalist, was on hand in Las Vegas to coach Dinh Tran and two-time U.S. champion Alysa Liu. Not only was it his first time at a U.S. Championships as a coach rather than a skater, it was his first competition -- of any kind -- as a coach.
Some culture shock was understandable.
"It just kind of has all been a whirlwind," Abbott said with a laugh.
Abbott has only been coaching since September, when he stumbled onto this new opportunity by complete accident.
Abbott acted on another whim in June of 2020, deciding to publicly come out as gay. While he'd never hidden his sexuality from the people close to him, the time finally felt right to add his own voice to the LGBTQ figure skating community.
"I just never talked about it publicly. And I held a lot of shame, actually, about that for a long time," Abbott said. "I struggled with saying it for many reasons, because a lot of times when I wanted to say it, I always felt like I was doing it for the wrong reason. Honestly, with the political climate and everything that was going on, I was just like, 'You know what? One more voice can help. So here it is.'"
ETA the link to this related article by Phil Hersh (published on Dec. 11, 2020) that was posted in GSD:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
One year later - Jeremy is no longer helping coach Alysa but they were on the same ice in SF yesterday (Boitano's Instagram video): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CakuwgJI_9h/

Jeremy will be on Kelly Rippon's IG Live tonight! https://www.instagram.com/p/CamdTY9L9ES/

How does a figure skater find the perfect music? Who better to ask than 2x Olympian, Sochi Olympic Games Team medalist and 4x US National Champion…Jeremy Abbott!

Jeremy was known for his artistic presentation during his highly decorated competitive career and has risen to the top of skating choreographers—

Join us Wednesday 3/2
IG Live 7pm EST

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @aml78 for reminding me to post the link to Jeremy’s appearance on Polina Edmunds’ podcast (Feb. 2, 2022):
I chat with 4x National Champion and 2x Olympian Jeremy Abbott about his start in skating, what it was like to work with coaches Tom Zakrajsek and Yuka Sato, his mindset going into the Vancouver Olympics versus the Sochi Olympics, whether he likes coaching or choreography more, his coaching experience with 2x National Champion Alysa Liu, and what he's up to now as well as some bonus reflections from our career experiences!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information