USFS ISP Points Challenge- Sep and Oct 2020

skatfan

All the starting/skate orders are linked from the ISP Points Challenge's Competition Central page: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2020/9/8/isp-points-challenge-competition-central.aspx

ETA: I kept my expectations low for this very low-budget event and was just glad to be able to see quite a few new programs for free.

And how, pray tell, does a fan know where to go, want to spend the effort to dig this up, etc. etc.? I'ma longtime fan and even I didn't feel obligated to do the work that even a small church like mine does for a basic worship video - have title slides. It says they don't care enough about the product to pay a video editor do to a small amount of work to make is accessible.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
True, I'm sure it would be so easy and its weaksauce that they don't, but OTOH if the people watching care enough to be annoyed, they can find the results and then google image search and figure it out pretty easily. I welcome the challenge personally, but I am more hardcore than most and recognize most of these skaters without having to look them up. Part of the fun for me of being a skating fan is taking on bizarre challenges like transcribing Russia results from a PDF in Cyrillic to English, identifying obscure skaters, and searching through back halls of poorly designed websites for entries and results. Not everyone enjoys this stuff, but oh well. The info is out there if you want it bad enough! :) (except for the Grand Prix assignments, those are nowhere)

skatfan

True, I'm sure it would be so easy and its weaksauce that they don't, but OTOH if the people watching care enough to be annoyed, they can find the results and then google image search and figure it out pretty easily. ... The info is out there if you want it bad enough! :) (except for the Grand Prix assignments, those are nowhere)

If this is the basis on which figure skating decides to rest its future, well, good luck with that.

clairecloutier

All the starting/skate orders are linked from the ISP Points Challenge's Competition Central page: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/2020/9/8/isp-points-challenge-competition-central.aspx

ETA: I kept my expectations low for this very low-budget event and was just glad to be able to see quite a few new programs for free.

With you on this. As far as I'm concerned, this event is like a nice little unexpected bonus gift for skating fans. And if it didn't come gift-wrapped, I can live with that. :D It's not that hard to poke around a little bit on FanZone.

gkelly

I tend to assume that anything that doesn't have a high pricetag attached for access, or extensive ads and corporate sponsorship, is designed primarily for the benefit of the skaters. Any access afforded to fans is a privilege to get a peek at what the skaters are doing, but fan access is a collateral benefit, not the reason for the event's existence.

ross_hy

With you on this. As far as I'm concerned, this event is like a nice little unexpected bonus gift for skating fans. And if it didn't come gift-wrapped, I can live with that. :D It's not that hard to poke around a little bit on FanZone.

Same here - I was complaining to myself about it at first, but then I realized this kind of like a virtual Champs Camp, which we never get to see. Looks like we'll get to see basically all the American skaters' programs before the Grand Prix & Challenger seasons.

radcliffe96

Same here - I was complaining to myself about it at first, but then I realized this kind of like a virtual Champs Camp, which we never get to see. Looks like we'll get to see basically all the American skaters' programs before the Grand Prix & Challenger seasons.
This is true, but

True! But doesn't it make you wonder what USFSA is thinking (or not thinking at all??) from a more global marketing standpoint? At very little cost, they could have upped the production value at least to a standard that wasn't so... bad. Don't they want to put a better face on the organization (the better to attract corporate/donor support, etc.? In times like these, we should all be grateful for any glimpse of skating, and I hope things will be more "normal" in the coming months! But...

BittyBug

Disgusted
I tend to assume that anything that doesn't have a high pricetag attached for access, or extensive ads and corporate sponsorship, is designed primarily for the benefit of the skaters. Any access afforded to fans is a privilege to get a peek at what the skaters are doing, but fan access is a collateral benefit, not the reason for the event's existence.
Fan access is not a collateral benefit. No fans, no advertising revenue, no sport. And I say that as someone who has been in involved in the sport for more years than I can count, has sat on USFS committees, and has been on LOCs for major national and international events, etc.

This is not the equivalent of Champs Camp, which was a preparatory event for the competitive season. This is essentially the competitive season in the era of C-O-V-I-D, given that spectator events are largely banned this year.

Why are some of you so willing to access crumbs meagerly thrown at you? The businesses that will survive the current YKW conditions are those that can adapt to deliver their product through different channels. This was a test of USFS and they get a C- at best for delivery.

concorde

Last night I listened on the informational webinar for the High School cyber challenge. For the element competition, each skater is to lead with their name, name of school they are representing, level, and element demonstrated. My point here, maybe having skater add something this simple at the beginning of their video would have made this event more fan friendly.

Marco

Hate Mariah's free skate - the music cuts were so random. But honestly I couldn't help but went back to rewatch both her programs. I simply can't take my eyes off of her. She has become a stunning skater. Starr is also skating nicely. Her confidence and maturity is definitely showing. This is especially apparent after watching the other girls.

Bradie lost (some of) her signature sharpness, and Pooja has flat out gone down the Mirai route where she would only care about the jumps and nothing else. Audrey is promising but I don't like the free skate.

Jason's short was perfection. I could rewatch that all day. The free looks to be coming along nicely but he was off the music every once in a while - needs more mileage. It wasn't building towards anything like I thought it would. The skating though is undeniable.

With Nathan, it's just that air of confidence. Kudos for showing up with 4 kinds of quad and skating at this level for an event like this. The programs are not as memorable as last year's but they are mighty fine.

natsulian

My thoughts on the ladies:
1. Mariah Bell - I find her performance quality, skating skills, and lines to be exquisite. I LOVED her short program to “Glitter in the Air,” but found her free to lack coherence. Although her skating was superb (and jumps solid), the way the songs progressed was truncated and took away from the experience. However, she looks well trained.
2. Bradie Tennell - Gutsy of her to try and upgrade her technical content by going for the 3Lz-3Lo and although rotated (during the short), she was unable to land it. The long set up for the 2A also seems to be a harbinger of the 3A. Tennell looked... oddly off. The usual consistency and kemptness were gone which was jarring, but everything is new territories for her right now so I’m sure she is simply adjusting.
3. Audrey Shin - Beautiful extensions, spins, jumps, and all around a well developed skater. However, she tends to UR her jumps and although very consistent with her short, she still needs to find that consistency with her long. However, I love both her programs (although very similar).
4. Lindsay Thorngren - A wonderful up and coming skater who blew past everyone technically (attempting two 3-3s) and although there were a few UR’s, she managed to land every single jump. She needs to work on her speed and skating skills, but she is truly gifted and I cannot wait to see her development.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
Why are some of you so willing to access crumbs meagerly thrown at you? The businesses that will survive the current YKW conditions are those that can adapt to deliver their product through different channels. This was a test of USFS and they get a C- at best for delivery.
Because it is free. You have a point though. If they want revenue, they need to pretty it up and do it through NBC sport or something.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Miss Bell's ABBA program is something I would expect to see for a random European girl with a gaudy costume and unkempt hair,placing 20th at the Europeans. It is most definitely not worthy of the United States' best lady skater. Very disappointing and perplexing.
-BB

Back in the day, I lived for full European Championships coverage, and the fabulous likes of Mojca Kopac and Idora Hegel.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Though I agree with folks that the production values here aren't great, this goes well beyond making this look "good".

The larger issue here is that videos should be produced and delivered in ways that ensure that all members of the audience can access their content.

Those with hearing and vision issues or disabilities might not be able to follow this as easily because there's no on screen audio introduction or captioning/titling, even though the video player provides support for these services.

If USFS could join individual videos into a single file with a professionally designed scoring graphic at the end, they certainly had the ability to build in these details that would improve the overall accessibility of the finished product for all want to watch it regardless of price point.

I deal with accessibility issues all the time at my day job, and ignoring these kinds of things—yes, especially for web/digital stuff—puts your organization at risk for a possible ADA lawsuit at worst. At the bare minimum, it signals to folks with disabilities that their participation as viewers isn't welcome. Either way, not a good look.

barbarafan

I kept wondering if some of the people filming were aware of zoom buttons on their cameras.

One of the best-filmed was Mariah Bell. Good distance, lighting.
From what I could see at least 2 PPL were filming the performance. One was Joey Russell - coach choreographer and I believe the other one was Tracey Wilson...Jason's coach. I guess that was in case one of them lost sight of him there is one on the backup. Maybe next ***andemic they can take on-line photography courses. I think everyone is just trying to do their best to reduce the penalties the athletes are paying due to the current situation. There are 2 zoomed sections of his skate on his instagram which really looked good but of course if any second of the filming lost track of Jason it couldn't be submitted. I am just glad the kids are competing.....and competing safely however they manage. https://www.instagram.com/p/CFae2hJH7kL/
Someone posted them before the actual full skate was posted on the fan site.

barbk

Though I agree with folks that the production values here aren't great, this goes well beyond making this look "good".

The larger issue here is that videos should be produced and delivered in ways that ensure that all members of the audience can access their content.

Those with hearing and vision issues or disabilities might not be able to follow this as easily because there's no on screen audio introduction or captioning/titling, even though the video player provides support for these services.

If USFS could join individual videos into a single file with a professionally designed scoring graphic at the end, they certainly had the ability to build in these details that would improve the overall accessibility of the finished product for all want to watch it regardless of price point.

I deal with accessibility issues all the time at my day job, and ignoring these kinds of things—yes, especially for web/digital stuff—puts your organization at risk for a possible ADA lawsuit at worst. At the bare minimum, it signals to folks with disabilities that their participation as viewers isn't welcome. Either way, not a good look.

I would much rather see individual videos than try and find the skates I'm interested in seeing in some long, strung-together stream.

And as someone who is pretty severely deaf, I used closed captioning a lot. Except for skating, where captioning all too often displays over the bottom of the image. Like, right where the skater's skates touch the ice. No, thank you.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Miss Bell's ABBA program is something I would expect to see for a random European girl with a gaudy costume and unkempt hair,placing 20th at the Europeans. It is most definitely not worthy of the United States' best lady skater. Very disappointing and perplexing.

Jason and Nathan,on the other hand,look exquisite. We are blessed to have them represent America.

-BB

Well Miss Bottems I haven’t even watched Miss Bell yet because that’s what I’m expecting.

Any warhorse that’s going to use multiple edit cuts like that I am close to 0% interested in watching.

The only one in the last five years I could stomach was Chock and Bates Vegas medley. But even that took a couple swigs of wild turkey before watching.

I think I will open up a whiskey and watch a good old fashion Angela Nikodinov video!! After all it’s 9:15 AM already!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
How do the tech callers even see the right levels with how far away Jason’s programs were filmed?

That’s what I have been asking… Are underrotations and downgrades even called because with one cell phone camera or whatever and that’s it ....I couldn’t even make out the faces of some of the skaters let alone revolutions.

Sylvia

TBD
What was Bradie's music for both programs? I looked through the 20-21 programs thread but didn't see it.
I've been posting 2020-21 season music in the U.S. Ladies thread (eta: Bradie has not revealed her music yet) and don't have a music ID app, so if someone can ID her music I'd like to know as well. :)

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Could anyone identify the first song in the Prince medley that Green/Parsons are using for their FD?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Most of the camera angles from the videos I have seen are pretty much the exact same angles the judging panel always gets when they are there in person. The technical panel can of course go back and change any element they have initially flagged and the judges always can quickly review an element, but we all know after all these years, there is still only one camera that is used for reviews and sometimes it's from a terrible angle. All things considered, if it were going to be virtual, I don't know what else we could ask for. (and yes, obviously some camerawork was better than others, but these people aren't professionals being paid to film).

jenny12

While Nathan’s skating isn’t for me (his shoulders and arms always seem weird to me and I’m sorry I can’t get beyond that 😜), he continues to be one of the very most impressive athletes this sport has ever seen. Amazing consistency and difficulty in the jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information