Sotskova busted for doping

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
She allegedly tested positive for only a diuretic. Anyone who has danced in the last 40 years has probably known the benefit of a diuretic before a dancing competition. It's not to hide PEDs, put-leaze. Your muscles look sharper, more toned and defined. The only reason why they test for diuretics is that it can mask actual PEDs. Does Maria Sotskova look like she's taking PED? Hardly. Just trying to adjust her water weight before competition. But diuretics ARE NOT performance enhancing drugs. The drugs are only on the list because diuretics can mask a drug urine test.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over from the Russian news thread:
It was furosemide. See below.
As it became known to RT, the athlete in November 2019 decided to end her career, but did not formalize her departure from the sport, did not notify RUSADA in writing.

In this regard, Sotskova continued to remain on the RUSADA lists as an active athlete, and in March 2020 they tried to take an out-of-competition doping test from her. The athlete, in a conversation with doping officers, insisted that she had already retired, but in the end she was forced to do a test that tested positive for furosemide.

According to RT, Sotskova provided a certificate confirming that she was taking the drug for medical reasons, but the clinic did not have a license to issue it. In this regard, the athlete was accused of forgery and was disqualified for 10 years.

starrynight

Well sounds like Sotskova retired, received medications from a clinic to take as a regular person and then got caught up because paper work still had her on the drug testing list.

Particularly if the test was in March 2020 when everything was shut down and she was certainly retired in all practicality by that point. A shame there was this mix up.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
She allegedly tested positive for only a diuretic. Anyone who has danced in the last 40 years has probably known the benefit of a diuretic before a dancing competition. It's not to hide PEDs, put-leaze. Your muscles look sharper, more toned and defined. The only reason why they test for diuretics is that it can mask actual PEDs. Does Maria Sotskova look like she's taking PED? Hardly. Just trying to adjust her water weight before competition. But diuretics ARE NOT performance enhancing drugs. The drugs are only on the list because diuretics can mask a drug urine test.

You do realise that diuretics have been used for literal decades to mask actual PEDs and that's why they're banned, right?

Bellanca

That's too bad. It's a good thing Maria is retired, but not the way one wants to go out. 😔

Doping is pervasive and rampant all across the sporting world. Some simply get away with it while others do not.

skateboy

I'm just happy that, in the midst of such craziness, we're actually talking about skating and skaters, even if it involves "untoward" or "controversial" activities... carry on.

hanca

Values her privacy
Copying over from the Russian news thread:

As it became known to RT, the athlete in November 2019 decided to end her career, but did not formalize her departure from the sport, did not notify RUSADA in writing.

In this regard, Sotskova continued to remain on the RUSADA lists as an active athlete, and in March 2020 they tried to take an out-of-competition doping test from her. The athlete, in a conversation with doping officers, insisted that she had already retired, but in the end she was forced to do a test that tested positive for furosemide.

According to RT, Sotskova provided a certificate confirming that she was taking the drug for medical reasons, but the clinic did not have a license to issue it. In this regard, the athlete was accused of forgery and was disqualified for 10 years.
Wow. I am sorry but this sounds a bit ridiculous. So they tested a retired skater, and found out that she took diuretics to lose weight? Well, I am glad that they managed to obtain another proof how evil those Russians are. Another proof or drug abuse! Seriously? Is that really worth messing up with her future career?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Why is it forgery if the clinic she went to wasn't licensed to issue the prescription? Earlier descriptions of this case made it sound like she drafted a fake document. But now it seems like the clinic wasn't authorized to write a prescription for furosemide and now that's her problem?

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Why is it forgery if the clinic she went to wasn't licensed to issue the prescription? Earlier descriptions of this case made it sound like she drafted a fake document. But now it seems like the clinic wasn't authorized to write a prescription for furosemide and now that's her problem?
Exactly! When I go to a clinic, it is not as if I would be making checks whether they are licensed to make prescriptions or not. I would take whatever they gave me and hope it would help me.

starrynight

I imagine there’d be restrictions on which doctors would be authorised to give scripts. Otherwise one could get their family doctor to authorise all sorts of things.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
You do realise that diuretics have been used for literal decades to mask actual PEDs and that's why they're banned, right?

Uh, "MissK" isn't that what you just quoted me as saying the exact same thing, RIGHT????? I am so very grateful for your internet and wonderful social media expertise. EYEROLL. Ne(h) to MissKar, too bad. Sharpen up your smart skills, you do realize you sounded kind of somewhat interesting at one point and not stupid at least...until... work on it, MissK. You said everything and NOTHING. Go back to the drawing board, Miss. (I just realized I had nothing substantive in this post, so, well, Maria looks so happy with her husband!! Mazel tov.)

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
She didn't compete in March why did she use PED? I hardly believe any figure skater used PED.

Lasix is NOT a PED. It is a diuretic, which promotes urination. For some drugs it is a masking agent for the real PEDs, which is why Lasix is banned. My dancer friends in college would take it before every audition. I feel badly for Maria. She doesn't need this abuse. And maybe she didn't even know what Buyanova recommended.

Japanfan

Uh, "MissK" isn't that what you just quoted me as saying the exact same thing, RIGHT????? I am so very grateful for your internet and wonderful social media expertise. EYEROLL. Ne(h) to MissKar, too bad. Sharpen up your smart skills, you do realize you sounded kind of somewhat interesting at one point and not stupid at least...until... work on it, MissK. You said everything and NOTHING. Go back to the drawing board, Miss.

It would be wise for you to first become a member of this community before you start hurling insults about. Otherwise you will never be welcomed here.

Miss K. has almost 20,000 posts and is known to most of us. In comparison, you have only 222 posts and are new here.

lala

Lasix is NOT a PED. It is a diuretic, which promotes urination. For some drugs it is a masking agent for the real PEDs, which is why Lasix is banned. My dancer friends in college would take it before every audition. I feel badly for Maria. She doesn't need this abuse. And maybe she didn't even know what Buyanova recommended.

Yes. But if she didn't compete, she didn't need to use PED and she didn't need to hide it. No sense. I reflected misskarne's post.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
It would be wise for you to first become a member of this community before you start hurling insults about. Otherwise you will never be welcomed here.

Miss K. has almost 20,000 posts and is known to most of us. In comparison, you have only 222 posts and are new here.

Well, I felt MissK with 20K posts could be more pleasant with her rantings. I apologize. I am obviously new to this whole new skating internet thing. I apologize again for being so "unwise". My failure. Let's talk skating (right? I am on a skating board right?). So with Maria Sotskova I wish she had her dream Olympics, maybe not a medal but she cratered. I also was more Team Tsurskaya but she couldn't pull it off at Nationals. It's hell being a female skater in Russia. Sotskova had tons of potential. I really wished she could perform well. Anyway, I am new to skating with only 225 posts, so I'm just learning about it all, I suppose. Yippee. Go Sasha, Anna, Alyona, Kamila, Daria, Maiia, etc. It's a sport. May the best athlete win.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
"Area woman took some medication" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Seriously, I fail to see why a retired athlete should be expected to follow anti-doping rules. And how can she be forced to take a test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information