Foods/Drinks You Have Tried and NEVER AGAIN!

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Wasabi sauce. Gyros. Shrimp (violent reaction certainly not anaphylaxis but not something I want to experience again). Seaweed. Raw fish. Tripe

I wouldn't say I would never eat shark again but definitely not a first choice to eat.

Japanfan

Tongue, rabbit, escargot, alligator, squirrel, liver, oysters, kale, avocado, blue cheese, root beer, beer, rum.

I like a few of these: rabbit (stewed), alligator, oysters, avocado, rum. I'm okay with blue cheese and root beer but can't remember the last time I've had either.

Another food I've always hated: mustard. I sometimes put a bit of Dijon into a salad dressing, but can't tolerate the yellowy stuff that goes with hot dogs and burgers.

antmanb

Tequila. I was 16. Never again.

I was 18 and it was freshers week at university, we had a token for a bar that had an offer on tequila - flip a coin to see if you pay for it. Me and my new flat mate had 10 tequila slammers. We don’t have any idea what we did, where we went, but I woke up being very ill and cannot drink tequila meat at all.

I can cope with it in a Long Island iced tea but nothing else.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My bad drinking experience as rum and coke. But we were also smoking hashish. :shuffle:

Anyway, I won't have that drink again but I do occasionally have mixed drinks with rum in them. Only by accident though.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
My bad drinking experience as rum and coke. But we were also smoking hashish. :shuffle:

Anyway, I won't have that drink again but I do occasionally have mixed drinks with rum in them. Only by accident though.
My bad experience with alcohol was rum and coke. I should have been taken to an ER for alcohol poisoning and gotten several liters of IV fluids. I had just turned 21. I think I was fortunate i didn't die.

LeafOnTheWind

shrimp, scallops

I just can't get past the texture. Most of my food dislikes are texture related.

coffee, bell peppers

These I just hate the taste.

mjb52

I'm noticing a theme here... :) Mine is an odd one, it's milk. I'll use it as an ingredient but the idea of drinking milk itself just totally grosses me out. I can't remember the last time I did it, I think as a child. I saw a carton of spoiled milk while at lunch at overnight camp and although I never liked it and wouldn't really drink anything other than chocolate milk, I think that truly put me off it forever.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm noticing a theme here... :) Mine is an odd one, it's milk. I'll use it as an ingredient but the idea of drinking milk itself just totally grosses me out. I can't remember the last time I did it, I think as a child. I saw a carton of spoiled milk while at lunch at overnight camp and although I never liked it and wouldn't really drink anything other than chocolate milk, I think that truly put me off it forever.
I think the last time I had a glass of milk was 39 years ago. When I forced one glass down because I thought it would be good for my unborn child. I never drank it before or after that one time.

To look at milk makes me gag.

clairecloutier

When I was in college, rum drinks were the thing. There was a horrible blue rum cocktail that was really popular (I'm forgetting the name of it now). And screwdrivers. And of course, kegs.

Suffice to say, I don't do rum any more. Or, any drink involving orange juice. I'll drink beer, but usually only when I go to craft breweries. :D

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Liver, I have a gag reflex. Otherwise I’m pretty adventurous with food.

I do know not to try and recreate foods I’ve tried in restaurants. I had a chilled cucumber soup at Commander’s Palace and tried to make it at home, it was the most disgusting thing ever. Leave some things to the professionals.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Oysters - YUK! Thought those would be a good idea at a dinner party. WRONG! And I was pregnant. Slimy little ba$tard$
Oysters may have contributed greatly to me becoming a Jew.....they are forbidden, as well they should be!!

jenny12

Most beers with a few exceptions. I just never developed the taste for it. The only one I enjoy is Hefeweizen since I guess it doesn’t really taste too much like beer.

Lizziebeth

I read this thread with great interest. I hate almost every food mentioned except for a few. I hate sausage because it hates me. It smells good but it disagrees with me for some reason.

I don't eat nuts of any kind since my bad experiences as a child. People tell me 'there are just a few in this food' or suggest I remove the nuts from the food I am eating or whatever. Or, my favorite, 'they are so good for you!!!' I am having none of that nonsense. I made it this far without malnutrition from not eating peanuts, walnuts, etc. I also don't like seeds like sunflower seeds or caraway. I know, picky picky. :saint:

I don't drink beer either but it is just because I think it is a taste I never acquired. I have a bad memory about a sweet wine I drank too much of when I was 19. I was too sick to go to work the next day. When I smell sweet wine, the memory returns.

I really do sympathize with people who don't like a certain food. But I do try to be nice about my dislikes and just quietly don't eat it. But, all my friends know how I hate nuts and they often leave them out of my portion, which is very very nice.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And screwdrivers.
Screwdrivers are OJ and vodka though. No rum! I used to drink them exclusively. Then I found Harvey Wallbangers which are screwdrivers with Galiano added.

But now I drink Cosmos and Mimosas pretty much exclusively.

Can you tell I like my drinks fruity so you can't taste the alcohol?

made it this far without malnutrition from not eating peanuts, walnuts, etc.
Technically peanuts are a legume. :slinkaway

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Tofu. I suspect the restaurant had just cooked it badly but it was slimy and rubbery and my friend swears to this day she thought I was going to vomit there and then on the table before I could even get it down.

Also, packaged American white bread. Learned that lesson damned fast!

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
During a Hawaiian getaway several years back,we dined at a high-end Hawaiian restaurant. I ordered a dish,but immediately recognized the meat tasted queer. I flagged down the server and he informed me the "meat" was, in fact, a substance named SPAM. Why would any diner at a four-star restaurant expect to eat (and PAY,mind you) for food shelf mystery meat?

Never again.

-BB

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
During a Hawaiian getaway several years back,we dined at a high-end Hawaiian restaurant. I ordered a dish,but immediately recognized the meat tasted queer. I flagged down the server and he informed me the "meat" was, in fact, a substance named SPAM. Why would any diner at a four-star restaurant expect to eat (and PAY,mind you) for food shelf mystery meat?

Never again.

-BB
I think there are quite a few seasoned FSU posters (cough ANL cough) who would enjoy a queer meat luau.

gkelly

I just can't get past the texture. Most of my food dislikes are texture related.

Ah, that reminds me. Hot cereal (oatmeal, Wheatina, etc.). My mom used to give that too us when we were little, but eventually I convinced her I couldn't stand it.

Or just wet cereal in general. I won't put milk in my cereal because I don't like it soggy. (Nor crackers in my soup.)

coffee, bell peppers

These I just hate the taste.

Me too.

Ditto for beer. Which fits the thread title since I accidentally had a sip of my father's beer when I was 8 and that put me right off it for good.

And, of course, any kind of meat for the last 43 years.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Oh I forgot coffee!

There are other things I don't like that I don't seek out but if they are fed to me, I deal.

Orm Irian

Sarsaparilla. That stuff should be banned under the Geneva Convention. And I can't stomach most forms of alcohol - no bad experiences, they just all taste disgusting. The most I can manage is a weak Pimms and ginger.

Japanfan

SFAIK, SPAM is something of a delicacy in Hawaii.

Japanfan

Most beers with a few exceptions. I just never developed the taste for it. The only one I enjoy is Hefeweizen since I guess it doesn’t really taste too much like beer.

I used to hate beer. I grew up in a hard drinking mining town, where pubs were a primary mode of socializing. The smell in the pubs was just awful in the day time - stale cigarette smoke and beer.

In my 20s I went to The Philippines and had a San Migeul beer. After that I tried Sapporo in Japan. I became a convert to beer and have enjoyed it ever since. But I don't like dark beers.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Never again.

-BB

This reminds of the Jamie Foxx show from the 90s where he and his uncle and aunt ran a hotel. Anyway, one of his In Living Color cast mates played a woman who got injured at their hotel and sued them. During the trial, she goes on the witness stand and testifies that while injured, they fed her "spam" and starts crying on the stand. Everyone in the court room, including the jury, was aghast and the judge was like "I don't even know what that is" to which Foxx's uncle stands up and says, "your honor, it comes from a spig".

Spun Silver

Anything with truffle oil. It tastes like butt smell.
I have to second this. I never tried it until my husband bought some at the Chelsea Market and surprised me with truffle pasta. Unfortunately he didn't pay attention to the amount and must have used about 10x too much. I thought I would be sick. He was terribly hurt. Too bad! I will never touch that stuff again.

And what do you know... last Christmas, my niece gifted us with a whole truffle-flavored food basket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information