2020 Grand Prix series thread

skatfan

Maybe this is the wrong thread? I remember someone posting that the attitude in Las Vegas is that tourists come in & leave before contracting symptoms. I'd guess there is some of that pov, but Nevada does seem to be keeping stats on tourists that develop ********* after leaving the state. I don't have a subscription to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, but here is an article that came out today:

New data shows jump in ********* cases for visitors to Nevada

The last report I read, maybe a month ago, said that @100 tourists had tested positive after leaving the state. The number is now 347.

Vegas is very dependent on their tourist industry. I don't think the host city will cancel anything if they can help it. Right now, Nevada has the highest unemployment rate in the country.

The article says that all but 10 of those infected in June were tested in Las Vegas. That’s a completely out of bounds low number for the 1 million visitors that came. Pretty unbelievable in fact.

RoseRed

Keegan can get into Canada regardless of Canadian border restrictions, since he's a Canadian citizen. However, he'd have to do a 14 day quarantine, if the current rules stay the same.
It can be a bit more complicated for dual citizens, from what I've heard, if their main residence is in the US. I know of at least one US-Canadian dual citizen who lives in the US, but wanted to come back to Canada to be with family and was turned away at the border. And another who's from the US but is a dual-citizen through one parent and goes to university in Canada. He did get in, but had a tough time at the border. It may depend on the border crossing you go to as well, not sure. Anyways, I would think Keegan would be allowed in, but it's not guaranteed, even aside from the quarantine time.
SA is scheduled for the Orleans Hotel/Arena, seating capacity about 8,000. With no spectators, will they move it to a smaller rink and save maybe $25K rental cost. SA has some sponsors, maybe enough to cover the venue cost. Will NBC want to televise an event with reduced foreign entrants, reduced interest? The organizer could sell maybe 1,000 seats, have social distancing, and still have revenue to pay the arena. I think the SC arena in Ottawa is slightly larger, with the same questions.
There's still a 50 person limit on indoor gatherings, I believe, in Ontario. So I'd be surprised if spectators are at all in the mix for SC, even if they got an exception to have more people, I think that would just be people needed for the event to run.

Last edited:

RoseRed

A lot of the discussion about the safety of having the GP seems very US focused, but speaking about Canada, I think you could keep it safe from a travel perspective at least.

If they kept the event in Ottawa, skaters training in/near Montreal and Toronto can easily drive that. Let's say you decided not to invite anyone who has to fly. For dance, that's easy - all the IAM skaters, plus Gilles/Poirier. Sales/Wamsteeker are the main team who'd miss out in that scenario, but you'd still have a great event. For pairs, the main Canadian teams +the few internationals, are in Ontario and Quebec, all drivable to Ottawa.

For ladies, you couldn't invite Emily Bausback (who is National champions) or Emma Bulawka (Sr. 6th), which would be a shame, especially for Emily. But most of the other senior options are in ON/QC, so it would still be doable on the domestic side. And there aren't many big name international ladies currently in Canada anyways. Satoko is in Toronto, and if either of Kurakova or Medvedeva do make it back to Canada they'd be in Toronto.

For men, again you'd miss some west coast skaters domestically - well mainly Keegan, but depending on the size of the fields also Eric Liu (Sr. 7th), Wesley Chiu (Jr. 2nd) and Aleksa Rakic. But you'd still have Nam, Roman, Conrad, Joseph, Nic Nadeau, Stephen G if he's in Canada, etc. on the domestic side. And international options like Jason, Julian Yee, Mark Gorodnitsky and Edrian Paul Celestino all train within driving distance.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what SC will do, but just making the point that this could be done in Canada without any air travel without affecting the fields too much.

Of course, travel isn't the only risk, but I'm focusing on that since it was a big part of the discussion.

skateboy

Count me in as one who gives the ISU major credit for trying to arrange SOME sort of a season.

Obviously, the safety of the skaters and coaches is the number one concern. Perhaps they will end up skating in empty arenas (or private rinks) and, if the best precautions are taken, I'm okay with that. I'm sure most of the skaters are itching to compete.

Everyone understands that these are unusual times so, in terms of worrying about how "fair" a result in the midst of a pandemic might be... well, all I can say is that we've all bitched about results in the most normal of circumstances, for years...

There is nothing "normal" about the current circumstances. If things are set in place for the skaters to compete, even if it's virtually, I'm all for it.

And, if the season ends up taking place, I think it's a real shame that any of us would denigrate the competitions by referring to them as "cheesefests."

b-man

It can be a bit more complicated for dual citizens, from what I've heard, if their main residence is in the US. I know of at least one US-Canadian dual citizen who lives in the US, but wanted to come back to Canada to be with family and was turned away at the border. And another who's from the US but is a dual-citizen through one parent and goes to university in Canada. He did get in, but had a tough time at the border. It may depend on the border crossing you go to as well, not sure. Anyways, I would think Keegan would be allowed in, but it's not guaranteed, even aside from the quarantine time.

There's still a 50 person limit on indoor gatherings, I believe, in Ontario. So I'd be surprised if spectators are at all in the mix for SC, even if they got an exception to have more people, I think that would just be people needed for the event to run.
I think you are correct. Now to see if I can get out of my non refundable hotel in Vegas I reserved in February.

concorde

I’m wondering if USFS will move SA to Colorado Springs. Athletes could stay at the OTC.

I think an outdoor event would be a great idea.

If I remember correctly, Lake Tahoe/Squaw Valley has an outdoor rink. Not sure if it is the same rink as the old Olympics venue or a modernized one. That is a beautiful venue!

Last edited:

RoseRed

Why would you do that? It makes no sense IMO.
Did you read the whole post? I specifically said it's not something that I expect SC to do, but since people were discussing the risks of air travel, I was making the point that SC at least could be done without air travel (ie. the risks of air travel are not a reason imo to not hold that event).

kates8

I think part of the benefit for a federation hosting a GP event is so that their country's skaters can have the spotlight and set themselves up as top contenders at the world/4CC/European competitions. If say for the dance event, Skate Canada were to "allow" all IAM teams to compete at their event, then the Canadian specific teams would be at a disadvantage with regards to the podium and prize money etc. If this is still considered an invitational, I suspect SC would not invite all IAM teams. All skaters in the world have lost a lot of their income this year with no worlds prize money, no shows, no seminars, so their own federations should be looking out for them with regard to winning any prize money this year (if it even exists). Other disciplines don't have as many non-Canadian teams training in Canada so in some ways SC GP event (and others) just become a mini-nationals. I'm still skeptical that any GP events will actually take place, but I guess ISU wants to show an effort and gives skaters something to train for in the near term. Also many of the volunteers required to run an event seem to be retired and may be in the higher risk category, so may be hard to stage and plan these events that are taking place relatively soon.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
From USFS’ statement back on Aug. 4:
“...We will continue to collaborate with the ISU Council appointed Working Group and we will collectively have more details on the Grand Prix Series in the coming weeks.”

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
So when is the latest we can reasonably expect assignments? Early October? Skate America is a little over 2 months away...

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over (from the Canadian Ice Dance news thread) & replying to @kates8 here:
Has anyone heard anything about SCI recently? For a competition that is supposed to take place in 8 weeks, its been pretty quiet from Skate Canada - I'm not convinced its going to happen.
Nothing "official" to date but, FWIW, Nam Nguyen casually mentioned in his Instagram Live just now that, last he heard, he could be competing in October in a revamped (can't recall the exact adjective he used) Skate Canada competition.

ETA this reply in the Canadian Ice Dance news thread:
The deadline for cancelling SCI passed about two weeks ago so that means it is on the schedule. Am guessing it will be held with no fans and limited media.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @rosewood for summarizing this article in the Japanese news thread:
Hanyu announced he doesn't participate in GP series this season. Reasons are 1) To avoid catching the v*rus. He has asthma. 2)It's difficult for Orser to attend NHK as well as Hanyu needs 2 weeks quarantine when he enters Canada to participate in SC. 3) To avoid pushing up the risk of infections when his fans gather in the rink.
Article in English:

Colonel Green

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information