From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebraswan

I am sorry for Anastasia, but how is it possible that there are still people who don't believe in a "magical, nonexistent virus" after everything that has happened this year? I feel like we are regressing back to the dark ages with so many people who don't believe in science and facts. Until something happens directly to them, of course, then they are very grateful for science and medical help.

Bigbird

I am sorry for Anastasia, but how is it possible that there are still people who don't believe in a "magical, nonexistent *****" after everything that has happened this year? I feel like we are regressing back to the dark ages with so many people who don't believe in science and facts. Until something happens directly to them, of course, then they are very grateful for science and medical help.
This illness could spell the end of a career for an athlete. I would humbly advise that persons listen to Dr. Anthony Fauci. I see so many athletes eating in restaurants and they don't seem to understand the risks. There is take out or a romantic picnic. May God help us all.

EDIT: Apparently many persons are struggling with denial.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Unless I'm misunderstanding her post, despite not believing it, she wrote that she obeyed the protocols, using masks and gloves and hand sanitizer. Odds are that someone who didn't exposed her to it, not the failure of the not-100%-guaranteed protocols.

hanca

Values her privacy
This illness could spell the end of a career for an athlete. I would humbly advise that persons listen to Dr. Anthony Fauci. I see so many athletes eating in restaurants and they don't seem to understand the risks. There is take out or a romantic picnic. May God help us all.

We will see how it affects her skating this coming season. I hope it won’t be like when Borisova (Russian junior pair skater) had glandular fever. It took quite a while to get better, and even when she was recovered, she still felt tired for the whole following season and eventually it lead to the end of her competitive career.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
We will see how it affects her skating this coming season. I hope it won’t be like when Borisova (Russian junior pair skater) had glandular fever. It took quite a while to get better, and even when she was recovered, she still felt tired for the whole following season and eventually it lead to the end of her competitive career.

Glandular fever is a good comparison. My student who got C**vd in mid-March is still completely tired out and is out of puff just climbing one flight of stairs. He wasn't even bad enough to be hospitalised but he is still sick some 4 months later. His doctor has told him that he should be 90% recovered by October or November, some 7-8 months after contracting the v***s! 😱

hanca

Values her privacy
Glandular fever is a good comparison. My student who got C**vd in mid-March is still completely tired out and is out of puff just climbing one flight of stairs. He wasn't even bad enough to be hospitalised but he is still sick some 4 months later. His doctor has told him that he should be 90% recovered by October or November, some 7-8 months after contracting the v***s! 😱
If he completely recovers at all... obviously I am not a medical professional, but I read some articles about how it damages lungs and no one seems to know whether the damage is reversible. Scary!

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
If he completely recovers at all... obviously I am not a medical professional, but I read some articles about how it damages lungs and no one seems to know whether the damage is reversible. Scary!

He is worried about long term lung damage.
What he is more worried about is that the doctors cannot guarantee he will remain immune beyond October.
He is terrified of getting a second dose, he said he wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy.

He is talking to people in a similar situation on forums for long term sufferers, and he says the numbers in his position are significant.

Yet, I know other people who just were sick for a week, like bad flu.

zebraswan

The virus hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know what the long-term effects will be. You could have some kind of chronic fatigue syndrome that never goes away...I've seen people report that after suffering from other viruses. You could have ongoing neurological symptoms or organ damage. It's really a crapshoot.

I believe her when she says she followed the protocols, but it's just so easy to let your guard down or slip up (or have someone else in your close circle or family slip up) unless you are locked away without any human contact until the vaccine comes out. I hope she will be able to skate again eventually, and I definitely hope this will remind other athletes to be extra cautious. You can't count on there being no lasting effects just because you are young and healthy.

starrynight

It's human nature to believe that terrible things happen only to other people. This is a genuine comment and not some passive aggressive snark. Heck, it's a survival mechanism for a sentient species, because otherwise we'd be scared and paranoid all the time. It's kind of like how I think the human brain has some sort of defence mechanism where we don't think about death much.

So that's what Anastasia meant when she realised this thing was truly real.

I also don't like how this disease has stigma and shame attached to it.

Again it's the defence mechanism. People's brain going 'that silly person got it because they stuffed up, and I won't stuff up, so I will be fine' etc etc. Another example of the 'bad things only happen to other people thing'.

Her rough symptoms and long term consequences (which do remind me of Tuktamysheva's journey to try to recover from pneumonia) was what I was posting about a number of weeks ago. This is the risk of the travel for competitions etc. Imagine if something like this spread through a competition or training group. It's not just getting sick, sadly. It's everything else afterwards.

Last edited:

Bigbird

It's human nature to believe that terrible things happen only to other people. This is a genuine comment and not some passive aggressive snark. Heck, it's a survival mechanism for a sentient species, because otherwise we'd be scared and paranoid all the time. It's kind of like how I think the human brain has some sort of defence mechanism where we don't think about death much.

So that's what Anastasia meant when she realised this thing was truly real.

I also don't like how this disease has stigma and shame attached to it.

Again it's the defence mechanism. People's brain going 'that silly person got it because they stuffed up, and I won't stuff up, so I will be fine' etc etc. Another example of the 'bad things only happen to other people thing'.

Her rough symptoms and long term consequences (which do remind me of Tuktamysheva's journey to try to recover from pneumonia) was what I was posting about a number of weeks ago. This is the risk of the travel for competitions etc. Imagine if something like this spread through a competition or training group. It's not just getting sick, sadly. It's everything else afterwards.

We need these testimonials to be understood by the power brokers in Federations and the Executive Management of the ISU. This thing is too wildly unpredictable to take unnecessary chances with any athlete regardless of the clout of these federations.

barbarafan

Many ppl who survived the virus have many health issues (lasting for a long time)Many are dying from the complications which pop up all of a sudden. When your fearless leaders are poo pooing it and calling it fake it is like a cult.
We have had some things opening with huge restrictions in quebec but still getting cases so now there is a province wise mask mandate against anyone not wearing a mask around PPL. I went to a small mall at beginning of the week with a sign outside the mall that anyone entering the mall without a mask can be fined up to $6000.00 . Expensive shopping trip.
I am so sorry about Anastasia getting sick.. I hope her recovery does not take long and that there are no lifelong consequences.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Russia just sucked very much with preventing such a big outbreak of this "magical and made-up virus".
My aunt herself is in the high-risk-group and quite a few of her close friends got sick. She is a teacher and one very active and engaged mother of one of her pupils also got it and passed away from the complications.
Moreover, the Russian health care system is pure shite. So, here you go. I highly doubt that Shpilevaya was the first of the better Russian figure skaters to get it and she won't be the last.

Bigbird

Russia just sucked very much with preventing such a big outbreak of this "magical and made-up *****".
My aunt herself is in the high-risk-group and quite a few of her close friends got sick. She is a teacher and one very active and engaged mother of one of her pupils also got it and passed away from the complications.
Moreover, the Russian health care system is pure shite. So, here you go. I highly doubt that Shpilevaya was the first of the better Russian figure skaters to get it and she won't be the last.

But you see boy wonder needed people to sign to his amended constitution allowing him to remain in power till he goes back to his big boy diapers, so them is the breaks. We all need to take responsibility for our own health. Politician's priorities lie elsewhere, know whom to listen to then heed them. Boy wonder and his chums have personalized health care so they don't have a care in the world. Sigh.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
But you see boy wonder needed people to sign to his amended constitution allowing him to remain in power till he goes back to his big boy diapers, so them is the breaks. We all need to take responsibility for our own health. Politician's priorities lie elsewhere, know whom to listen to then heed them. Boy wonder and his chums have personalized health care so they don't have a care in the world. Sigh.
Since my aunt has been working for some extra money to have as an election helper, she had to do it again this time.
So we got to see her online even. Sitting there, taking care of the lists, wearing a mask.
Thank God she is still healthy. But since Russia messed up so much regarding the crisis, my aunt will most probably not be here with us in Germany for Christmas. And this sucks badly.

But now, back to figure skating.

Bellanca

Tinami Amori

IG interview with Natalia Zabiako - in russian.

Ka3sha

Channel 1 video with Liza Tuktamysheva from Kislovodsk

Tinami Amori

Sofia Samodelkina (Jr. @ CSKA/S. Davydov coach) - aquired 3A and 3A+3T.

mjb52

Is that entry unusual? Feels like usually they step into a 3A but she turns into it. I am not too great at the technical side of things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information