Best Website Building Software?

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
My husband wants to build a new website for his business. It's a tiny business, but he can afford to pay a bit for the software, if he needs to. He doesn't need the site hosted - he has a host. He'll build the site himself. No need for e-commerce functionality. He's asking for recommendations on what software you'd recommend for him to use. So... Wordpress, Squarespace, Wix, or... what should he be looking at? Any suggestions welcome.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I use Wordpress for my blog, and it's very easy to navigate (important for me, probably less so for your husband). I also like the range of design options it offers. I looked at Squarespace and Wix but found them both kind of clunky and non-intuitive.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I thought Wix only let you develop their sites on their platform. You can point your own domain to them but I don't think you can upload your Wix site to another host. Unless it's some feature that you have to

We use WordPress for our Kids Tri website and it's okay. Certainly a lot easier to use than the last time I tried it.

I"ve used Wix before when I didn't have a host. I used their free version and I found it very hard to edit the pages. But that was a few years ago.

No experience with Squarespace.

Japanfan

I use Word Press for my website and am happy with it. However, I did hire a web designer when I first put my website together. She was very affordable, which I think is unusual.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
My husband wants to build a new website for his business. It's a tiny business, but he can afford to pay a bit for the software, if he needs to. He doesn't need the site hosted - he has a host. He'll build the site himself. No need for e-commerce functionality. He's asking for recommendations on what software you'd recommend for him to use. So... Wordpress, Squarespace, Wix, or... what should he be looking at? Any suggestions welcome.

For greatest flexibility, I'd recommend Wordpress, but the full version (wordpress.org, not wordpress.com, which is mainly for blogging). Limitless design options and you can build some incredible sites. The only downside is that getting everything set up requires some knowledge (although some hosts minimize this process). Some web design experience is helpful, although there are thousands of pre-built themes that can do most of the design work.

I've only maintained and troubleshooted Squarespace sites. I like it. Intuitive but definitely less flexibility than WP.

I would stay away from Wix if at all possible.

eusebius

Hi, I just finished training to be a web developer :). I think WordPress is awesome and has a huge number of possible features. (I agree with @alchemy void - wordpress.org is what you want, not wordpress.com) There is also a huge support community for WordPress users. Right now I'm learning PHP to design custom themes ... let me know if you ever need any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information