ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Sylvia

TBD
Alexander Kogan has confirmed the Russian website post that ISU events have been cancelled is fake news. "I was surprised to read information that the ISU will cancel international competitions to the end of 2020, but this is not true.”
Source article: https://tass.ru/sport/8886953

Machine translation:

MOSCOW, July 4. / TASS /. Russian skaters intend to perform at international starts before the end of the year, the International Skating Union (ISU) did not make decisions to cancel them. This was announced to TASS by the Director General of the Russian Figure Skating Federation Alexander Kogan.

“On the eve of the media, I was surprised to read information that the International Skating Union will cancel international competitions by the end of 2020, but this is not true,” Kogan said. “Firstly, the ISU’s council will be held only on Monday [July 6], and there will be considered the possibility of holding the junior stages of the Grand Prix, the rest of the starts there will not even be discussed. We hope to hold international competitions and are preparing for them in full. "

Kogan noted that the athletes' readiness is controlled precisely taking into account their performance at international competitions: "Junior test rentals will be held in the first half of August, adult rentals in September. We will organize them to assess the level of preparedness of our skaters for international starts."

starrynight

This whole thing is just beyond weird to me. It's like the ISU is living in a parallel universe where borders aren't closed, countries don't have 2 to 3 week quarantines and there aren't bans on entrance from countries who are major skating players? Where skaters in some places still don't have access to ice?

A world where no travel insurance covers 'rona, so if a skater's parent or coach was to fall ill and need treatment they could be left overseas with medical expenses bills of tens of thousands of dollars?

Although I expect the Russian players want to push the idea of a season, because it helps with funding for Novogorsk, expensive training camps and motivates the athletes. There's a lot of money from the Russian state that needs to be justified I expect. For the coaches elsewhere that also need to be paid for trainings this is also correct.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are people who can't even cross borders of states or countries to see family members.

I really think this is all about money -- and milking as much of it before reality sets in.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
IMO, fs authorities should be actively considering alternative plans and logistics for trying to hold smaller competitions on local levels, without spectators. Right now, everything in the world has changed, and business-as-usual thinking isn't the way to roll at the moment nor in the near future.

The challenges are daunting for sure, but the skaters and the sport deserve some forward-thinking, creative leadership. The ISU can be optimistic for holding normal, future events, but they also need to be realistic in considering and plotting out possible alternatives.

Sylvia

TBD
The ISU can be optimistic for holding normal, future events, but they also need to be realistic in considering and plotting out possible alternatives.
Countries currently are trying to plan for their respective national qualifying seasons -- ISU has nothing to do with this challenge the federations are facing.

For example, the Japan Skating Federation has published their domestic competition calendar and announced there will be no audiences for their 6 regional block competitions or Novice Nationals this fall - link to the post in the JPN news thread (also scroll down to post #22): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...0-21-season-news-updates.107299/#post-5825409

aftershocks

Banned Member
Countries currently are trying to plan for their respective national qualifying seasons -- ISU has nothing to do with this challenge the federations are facing.

For example, the Japan Skating Federation has published their domestic competition calendar and announced there will be no audiences for their 6 regional block competitions or Novice Nationals this fall - link to the post in the JPN news thread (also scroll down to post #22): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...0-21-season-news-updates.107299/#post-5825409

Yep, of course federations have to be responsible for what they are doing locally. But the sport as a whole consists of the ISU which includes federation members, no? It's based on country and regional concerns and logistics, as well as on the sport as a whole, which means everyone involved should be communicating surrounding alternatives. Obviously on individual country levels what happens locally will be different for each federation.

My comments about the ISU absolutely needing to offer some creative leadership during uncertain times, still holds.

D

Deleted member 221

This whole thing is just beyond weird to me. It's like the ISU is living in a parallel universe where borders aren't closed, countries don't have 2 to 3 week quarantines and there aren't bans on entrance from countries who are major skating players? Where skaters in some places still don't have access to ice?

A world where no travel insurance covers 'rona, so if a skater's parent or coach was to fall ill and need treatment they could be left overseas with medical expenses bills of tens of thousands of dollars?
[...]

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are people who can't even cross borders of states or countries to see family members.

Are you US based? I get the situation in the US is very bad. And the situation in Australia and New Zealand is very good, and that they want to keep it that way.

That said, "in the real world" of Europe, borders are open. Quarantines requirements are lessening by the day. People from Canada, many North African countries, many Asian countries can come visit right now, no questions asked. Life is slowly returning to normalcy, albeit with some new requirements - e.g., masks and one meter of social distancing. Travel insurance is valid again.

Knock on wood, so much has changed for the better in the past three months that I don't see why we should write off a Grand Prix that is nearly four months away, and Worlds that is nearly nine months away.

I'm bullish on the odds of Grand Prix events in the fall - well, maybe not Skate America - with decent though perhaps not perfect representation of skaters. And while I wouldn't advise people from outside Europe to buy tickets to Worlds, I think the odds of it happening are also good based on the situation on the ground today. We shouldn't go cancelling things based on a hypothetical second wave. Of course, there are unknowns and always will be - but some of the unknowns could be positives, like a vaccine sooner than anticipated.

D

Deleted member 221

Oh, why will I die of not surprised. :rolleyes:

Neither you nor starrynight get to define "the real world" for everyone :rolleyes: -- your reality is not reality. Borders are not closed for the vast majority of skating federations in the ISU. The vast majority of skaters would not need to quarantine in the vast majority of ISU countries.

Maybe it's you who's out of touch, and not the ISU?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Neither you nor starrynight get to define "the real world" for everyone :rolleyes: -- your reality is not reality. Borders are not closed for the vast majority of skating federations in the ISU. The vast majority of skaters would not need to quarantine in the vast majority of ISU countries.

Maybe it's you who's out of touch, and not the ISU?

Even in the so called “real world” of Europe :lol: right now it would not be feasible to hold any sort of international figure skating competition. With the resurgence of YKW in some countries and the complete failure to get it under control in others, things are not promising for that to change any time soon.

Bigbird

Even in the so called “real world” of Europe :lol: right now it would not be feasible to hold any sort of international figure skating competition. With the resurgence of YKW in some countries and the complete failure to get it under control in others, things are not promising for that to change any time soon.
My point exactly. All of this is just posturing.

MsZem

I see the sea
The real world consists of many countries with vastly different circumstances. There are no guarantees that what's true now in any one place - whether it's severe restrictions, a severe burden on the health system, or open borders for certain countries - will be true in the fall. So basically: this is all speculation.

I feel like we could all use a real skating event to discuss...

Bigbird

There’s so much to unpack here Louis. Someone as intelligent as you should see it. If you don’t, then I don’t know what’s happened to you.
I have come to realize that denial is a real part of the grieving process. We are grieving the loss of our lives, figure skating is the least right now. I am not being facetious here. Many struggle with the current realities and just cannot see what many others see as clear cut. Many in Jamaica where I am from still cannot grapple with the fact that a negative test 2 days ago means nothing as symptoms can remain dormant for up to 14 days. The struggle is real everywhere.

Bigbird

Let's hope the Russian cup competitions happen sooner rather than later and that they are streamed! 🥰
The Russian fed intends to make them open to international skaters, which would be fab it possible!

What for? The risk of contagion increases if there is not strict quarantine and many will not be able to come. They will be padding the credentials of their own skaters due to their wealth and incurring ill will in others. In bad taste IMHO, let them have their local competitions and nationals and leave all international competitions until everyone in the world can have international competitions. That would be fair.

Sylvia

TBD
I feel like we could all use a real skating event to discuss...
The Peggy Fleming Trophy (artistic event organized by the Broadmoor Skating Club) is happening again this year and I've heard there should be a free live stream to watch after all the videos are submitted by the 18 senior level singles skaters (deadline is July 10). The event page was last updated on May 14: http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/

angi

Are you US based? I get the situation in the US is very bad. And the situation in Australia and New Zealand is very good, and that they want to keep it that way.

That said, "in the real world" of Europe, borders are open. Quarantines requirements are lessening by the day. People from Canada, many North African countries, many Asian countries can come visit right now, no questions asked. Life is slowly returning to normalcy, albeit with some new requirements - e.g., masks and one meter of social distancing. Travel insurance is valid again.

Knock on wood, so much has changed for the better in the past three months that I don't see why we should write off a Grand Prix that is nearly four months away, and Worlds that is nearly nine months away.

I'm bullish on the odds of Grand Prix events in the fall - well, maybe not Skate America - with decent though perhaps not perfect representation of skaters. And while I wouldn't advise people from outside Europe to buy tickets to Worlds, I think the odds of it happening are also good based on the situation on the ground today. We shouldn't go cancelling things based on a hypothetical second wave. Of course, there are unknowns and always will be - but some of the unknowns could be positives, like a vaccine sooner than anticipated.
What you are describing is true to this current moment but the situation changes so rapidly that we can have the same discussion in a week and it will be very different. Australia was doing fine, now they have several outbreaks. Europe is doing fine because it's only now removing restrictions, I can guarantee you it won't last, especially if we take UK for example who decided to allow people from 60 countries to enter the UK without even quarantining for 14 days. Their second wave is simply a matter of time, and I'm not saying that because I wish it on them, I've simply been following what's happening in the rest of the world and seeing that every single country who opened things up is seeing a larger than expected increase in cases the either leads to a second wave or to reinstating several restrictions.
I think the best example for it is Israel, they did well in the first wave, opened schools and even allowed gatherings of up to 250 people, they are now being hit by a second wave that is worse than their first, and scientist say that the biggest contributing factor was the 250 people gatherings (even more than schools reopening) which caused mass spreading and infections.
So 250 people in a domestic event - that all it takes. This means that even before we start talking about international events (which honestly even considering it as this point feel like insanity to me) we can talk about domestic events - which can be a risk on their own. This is a very complicated situation that changes fast and can have drastic consequences, so you trying to say that Europe is perfectly fine to start hosting competitions - is both naive and irresponsible. ISU should definitely start canceling competitions soon, the entire GP series to be exact, it's the only responsible thing to do at this point.

MsZem

I see the sea
Let's hope the Russian cup competitions happen sooner rather than later and that they are streamed! 🥰
The Russian fed intends to make them open to international skaters, which would be fab it possible!
What for? The risk of contagion increases if there is not strict quarantine and many will not be able to come. They will be padding the credentials of their own skaters due to their wealth and incurring ill will in others. In bad taste IMHO, let them have their local competitions and nationals and leave all international competitions until everyone in the world can have international competitions. That would be fair.
taz'smum wrote if possible, and nobody will be forced to go to Russia for this. I doubt there's going to be much in the way of prize money or points. I hope it'll prove feasible, if only for Russian skaters and any foreigners training in Russia (e.g. Hurtado and Khaliavin).

The Peggy Fleming Trophy (artistic event organized by the Broadmoor Skating Club) is happening again this year and I've heard there should be a free live stream to watch after all the videos are submitted by the 18 senior level singles skaters (deadline is July 10). The event page was last updated on May 14: http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/
Sylvia, you are the best :love:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
taz'smum wrote if possible, and nobody will be forced to go to Russia for this. I doubt there's going to be much in the way of prize money or points. I hope it'll prove feasible, if only for Russian skaters and any foreigners training in Russia (e.g. Hurtado and Khaliavin).

Yep, Russian cup competitions would have zero effect on skater rankings as they would not carry any ISU points.
So no skaters would gain an unfair advantage over skaters unable to attend these competitions other than competition experience and perhaps a little prize money if the Russian fed adds some to the 5 stages.

( I believe there is prize money for the club/coaches of the skaters winning the Russian cup final, not sure about the skaters)

tylersf

My picks for replacement ISU event locations/venues are:
  • Las Vegas, NV - Skate America (stays)
  • Phoenix, AZ - Skate Canada replacement
  • Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane) - Cup of China replacement
  • Auckland, New Zealand - Internationaux de France replacement
  • Johannesburg, South Africa - Rostelecom Cup replacement
  • Doha, Qatar - NHK Trophy replacement
  • Dubai, United Arab Emirates - ISU Grand Prix Final
  • Four Continents - pick from the above
  • World Championships - pick from the above

Sylvia

TBD

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Australia was doing fine, now they have several outbreaks.
Okay, I'm going to say something that may be unpopular but I think people have unrealistic expectations here. Until there is a vaccine (and maybe forever), there will always be outbreaks. Outbreaks are not a sign a locale isn't doing well. The point of shutdown isn't to completely eliminate the virus but to get numbers down to a reasonable point where contact tracing and testing can shutdown any outbreaks quickly and effectively.

My picks for replacement ISU event locations/venues are:
  • Las Vegas, NV - Skate America (stays)
  • Phoenix, AZ - Skate Canada replacement
Given the numbers in AZ, in particular, why would anyone come to these events? Now if you had put them in Canada, that might work, but not in the US.

MsZem

I see the sea
Okay, I'm going to say something that may be unpopular but I think people have unrealistic expectations here. Until there is a vaccine (and maybe forever), there will always be outbreaks. Outbreaks are not a sign a locale isn't doing well. The point of shutdown isn't to completely eliminate the ***** but to get numbers down to a reasonable point where contact tracing and testing can shutdown any outbreaks quickly and effectively.
Exactly. The goal is to find a way to live with this until there's a vaccine or an effective treatment. This means accepting that some outbreaks will occur, but being ready to deal with them quickly - not, say, like our genius government deciding to open clubs and wedding venues for up to 250 people with cases already going up last month.

tylersf

You know what, you're right about AZ, they tend not to follow governmental mandates (i.e. Daylight Savings Time).
And we're way too paranoid in the Bay Area. It's not enough for you to social distance, wear gloves, use hand sanitizer and wear a mask. They're picky about what type of mask you wear. They'll head butt you out of Trader Joe's if you wear the carbon filter mask which allows you to breathe.

Okay, I'm going to say something that may be unpopular but I think people have unrealistic expectations here. Until there is a vaccine (and maybe forever), there will always be outbreaks. Outbreaks are not a sign a locale isn't doing well. The point of shutdown isn't to completely eliminate the ***** but to get numbers down to a reasonable point where contact tracing and testing can shutdown any outbreaks quickly and effectively.

Given the numbers in AZ, in particular, why would anyone come to these events? Now if you had put them in Canada, that might work, but not in the US.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
The Russian fed intends to make them open to international skaters, which would be fab if possible!

Awesome! I was wondering about that.

Particularly for skaters who already train in Russia, like Galustyan, Ryabova, and Shabatova, it seems like a no-brainer.

I was also hoping Med would get to compete in one of the Japanese regional competitions. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

What you are describing is true to this current moment but the situation changes so rapidly that we can have the same discussion in a week and it will be very different.

So then cancel events when the situation changes.

Right now, most of Europe is open for tourism. Governments are encouraging responsible tourism. Skating is a socially distanced sport. Most rinks already have hockey glass, which can stay up.

Why can't we have a Grand Prix with limited spectators? Why can't we have Worlds with spectators spread out through the arena? Why can't we at least wait and see if these gloom and doom predictions come true, or whether they're like most of the others (e.g., no tourism until 2021 or 2022) that have not.

You may think it's "insanity," but multiple governments do not. We have three to four months to figure out a solution, or cancel if it's truly impossible; why do we need to accept defeat right now?

People here keep saying they don't want to cower in place until there's a vaccine, yet everything they post indicates they do - and want to force others to do so, too. (Is it any wonder why others see it as an attack on their freedoms?)

People here keep saying they're pro-science, but offer no scientific criteria and in fact nothing other than "gloom and doom" predictions with no more science than the Mayan calendar or Nostradamus.

People here keep saying they want facts and data, yet ignore the data that doesn't suit their point of view and repeat falsehoods.

Fortunately, the "real world" I'm living in at the moment seems more sensible, and seems to be taking a more sensible balance of freedom and responsibility. Let's at least see how the next 60 days go. I don't see any reason to cancel the GP, much less Worlds, before September at this moment in time.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I dont see travel insurance ever cover a virus or pandemic. For either individual travel or events (sports, Olympics, concerts). The insurance companies are in the business to make money. Virus or pandemic that grind everything to be cancelled will be an exclusion clause.

Our travel agent told us specifically it would not be covered for our trip/air fare. The cruise company had a contract clause (signed prior to pandemic) that we had a window to cancel and get a full refund.

Travel insurance will exclude pandemics.

I think a modified International Skating Season will be dependent upon what happens with EU unrestricted travels in the next 4-6 weeks.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The health insurance policy I bought from a Quebec provider did not cover YKW for Montreal Worlds. This wasn't specifically called out in the policy, because I bought it before YKW was an issue, but was covered in a more generic clause that was explained in a follow-up email I received in March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information