Nguyen & Kolesnik have ended their partnership

Tinami Amori

Although arguably, a car is a skating expense if it allows for him to get himself to his skating lessons without relying on someone else?
Vadim said that he lives with a fellow skater, and is friends with Diana/Gleb who live in the same building, and there are other skaters, they all skate at the same rink, and Vadim (in the interview) already mentions that he is used to asking other skaters who live in the building to give him rides.

If someone paid for my skating (which I would never allow to happen in this lifetime) I would make a jesture and paid a couple of thousands from the 5K to the family who is sponsoring me, and bought an older car for 3K.

But... i don't know what financial issues took place between Vadim and his partner's family.

shuilee

Could Vadim Kolesnik skate with Diana Davis? Eteri knows Gleb isn't good enough for her daughter to move up the rankings. Huge upgrade if Diana gets partnered with Vadim. I wonder if Igor and Eteri will start making plans.

Tinami Amori

Could Vadim Kolesnik skate with Diana Davis? Eteri knows Gleb isn't good enough for her daughter to move up the rankings. Huge upgrade if Diana gets partnered with Vadim. I wonder if Igor and Eteri will start making plans.
Eteri and Gleb's parents are very good friends. Gleb's father is a famous actor and has the funds to support his son and his training.

Lara111

If Vadim just recently bought a car he did not plan any changes. It was Avonley's (mom's may be) initiative.

hanca

Values her privacy
As per discussion in another thread, Kolensik doesn’t even know how long it will take before he would be released by US federation, so Eteri could make her move, break Diana’s current partnership and then find out it may take 3-4 years before Kolesnik is released. Why should US federation willingly release the junior world champion if they invested in him lots of money?

Skater999

As per discussion in another thread, Kolensik doesn’t even know how long it will take before he would be released by US federation, so Eteri could make her move, break Diana’s current partnership and then find out it may take 3-4 years before Kolesnik is released. Why should US federation willingly release the junior world champion if they invested in him lots of money?
I don’t think USFSA can just hold on to Vadym for more than one year and prevent him from leaving. If he would find a russian girl for example. I think the new federation would fight to have him released. If he gets an international girl, how would 2 non Americans skate for the US.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don’t think USFSA can just hold on to Vadym for more than one year and prevent him from leaving. If he would find a russian girl for example. I think the new federation would fight to have him released. If he gets an international girl, how would 2 non Americans skate for the US.
They can force him to find a girl with US citizenship, if he wants to continue competing. There were a number of cases when federation refused to release a skater, or held them for a few years. I never understand the purpose of holding a skater who is even not that successful, or who is in a country where there is no chance of finding another partner, but Kolesnik is a junior world champion, they invested in him and it is not impossible to find another partner in the USA. So I could quite see their point, if they decide to give him a hard time. To clarify, personally I hate the fact that the federations have so much power over the skaters, but I can understand, if they invested in someone, that they want to see something for their money.

Skater999

Eteri and Gleb's parents are very good friends. Gleb's father is a famous actor and has the funds to support his son and his training.
Well I remember hearing this. Diana’s last partner, Fedor, was sick one day and so she skated with Gleb. She thought he was a better skater and when Fedor came back to the rink she was already skating with Gleb. Idk if Diana would think about doing the same thing to Gleb. I mean Vadym is younger, has more potential, and is better than Gleb and would be a great match for Diana, but who knows, I guess we can all speculate.

Skater999

They can force him to find a girl with US citizenship, if he wants to continue competing. There were a number of cases when federation refused to release a skater, or held them for a few years. I never understand the purpose of holding a skater who is even not that successful, or who is in a country where there is no chance of finding another partner, but Kolesnik is a junior world champion, they invested in him and it is not impossible to find another partner in the USA. So I could quite see their point, if they decide to give him a hard time. To clarify, personally I hate the fact that the federations have so much power over the skaters, but I can understand, if they invested in someone, that they want to see something for their money.
Who is available in the US for Vadym to skate with though? I can’t think of anybody.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I do think that teams save themselves heartache by not pursuing hopeless citizenship scenarios.

If Avonley's parents can pay the expenses of a partner, they do have options available.

I agree, but from what's been said in the thread, it sounds like it's not entirely the team on their own making the decisions.

Also, parents paying a partner's expenses is not an ideal situation either. Parents may be able to afford it and can do it with the intention of helping their own child to do what the child loves, but it makes the partner dependent on their partner and their partner's parents. It can also make the other set of parents feel like they have no voice in what happens to their child, because they're not part of the financial support for the team.

hanca

Values her privacy
Who is available in the US for Vadym to skate with though? I can’t think of anybody.
That’s not the federation’s problem though. Anyone could skate with the junior world champion, even if they broke up less successful couple.

Skater999

That’s not the federation’s problem though. Anyone could skate with the junior world champion, even if they broke up less successful couple.
So u think US figure skating is gonna break up a junior team so that a girl can skate with Vadym. If you go down the list of junior girls, there no girls that are either good enough or ever be available for Vadym. There are no senior girls in the US for Vadym. He’ll be forced to look for international girls. USFSA I guess should just be grateful that he came to the US in the 1st place and get ready to say goodbye or force him and Avonley skate together.

hanca

Values her privacy
So u think US figure skating is gonna break up a junior team so that a girl can skate with Vadym. If you go down the list of junior girls, there no girls that are either good enough or ever be available for Vadym. There are no senior girls in the US for Vadym. He’ll be forced to look for international girls. USFSA I guess should just be grateful that he came to the US in the 1st place and get ready to say goodbye or force him and Avonley skate together.
All I am saying is that it is not US figure skating federation’s problem to help him find a new partner, but based on watching skating for many, many years, I don’t think US federation is very generous with releasing skaters who medalled at junior worlds, 4CC or worlds. That’s all I am saying. They may release him, but perhaps in three years time, for example. Will he be willingly wait for so long? There were many skaters over the years who had problems with being released, I just can’t see why he should be any different.

mjb52

Didn't they change it to make it much harder for federations to hold onto skaters?

Skater999

That's not true, Lorraine MacNamara is looking for a partner, and she's a junior world champion as well. Although, I don't see that pairing happening.
She’s too tall, she’s older than him, and she skates at WISA. The coaches at WISA don’t like Igor and she would get kicked out if she had a tryout there.

platniumangel

Also, parents paying a partner's expenses is not an ideal situation either. Parents may be able to afford it and can do it with the intention of helping their own child to do what the child loves, but it makes the partner dependent on their partner and their partner's parents. It can also make the other set of parents feel like they have no voice in what happens to their child, because they're not part of the financial support for the team.
[/QUOTE]

I have no personal knowledge of the Nguyen/Kolesnik situation but I do understand how difficult it can be for one partner to fund the expenses. It’s especially intense if the supported partner relocates/and is taken away from his/her support systems. I think adding a romantic relationship between two teenagers (Living together) on top of it all makes it even trickier!! Often times the “paying” party feels they own the partner and can control all aspects of their life. Not healthy at all! Especially for a teenager who is living/training in a foreign country.

Skater999

poor Vadym was under a lot of pressure. He left his family and moved across the world at 14 and if he doesn’t get results he could get sent back Ukraine. He would kill himself during practices, when Avonley got off the ice, Vadym would do extra run throughs by himself. He’s not the most talented but he got to where he is through pure hard work and determination. This is something I admired about him

Vagabond

All I am saying is that it is not US figure skating federation’s problem to help him find a new partner, but based on watching skating for many, many years, I don’t think US federation is very generous with releasing skaters who medalled at junior worlds, 4CC or worlds. That’s all I am saying. They may release him, but perhaps in three years time, for example. Will he be willingly wait for so long? There were many skaters over the years who had problems with being released, I just can’t see why he should be any different.
Kolesnik can apply to the ISU for a clearance certificate if USFS does not release him, and there is little reason to think he would not get one (or that the USFS wouldn't release him anyhow).

He'll have to sit out the 2020-21 season, but, at this point, everyone may be sitting out the 2020-21 season.

Perky Shae Lynn

What’s the issue with McNamara being older than Kolesnik? Navka was older than Kostomarov and Savchenko was older than Massot. They turned out OK if I recall?
Kolesnik is still a boy. Lorraine is 21, and at this age three years make a huge difference. I can't see this pairing working. Avonley was a perfect partner for him. IMO, he needs someone young and petite. But that likely means starting over and staying in juniors (with lower placements) after winning it all. Such a dumb decision to break up. Whatever is going on with their relationship, just make it work. I think they both will come to regret the split.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Kolesnik can apply to the ISU for a clearance certificate if USFS does not release him, and there is little reason to think he would not get one (or that the USFS wouldn't release him anyhow).

He'll have to sit out the 2020-21 season, but, at this point, everyone may be sitting out the 2020-21 season.
ISU would not get involved. I remember how hard it was for Zahorski and Iliuschetchkina to get free. It is so easy to say ‘oh, he can do this, he can do that’ but the reality is completely different. Ask @taz'smum how easy or hard it is to get released, if the federation decides that they would prefer to keep you (even if they don’t have a partner for you).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Ask @taz'smum how easy or hard it is to get released, if the federation decides that they would prefer to keep you (even if they don’t have a partner for you).

That was a while ago. There were some rule changes to make country-changing easier so we don't really know how it will work out for Kolenik.

hanca

Values her privacy
That was a while ago. There were some rule changes to make country-changing easier so we don't really know how it will work out for Kolenik.
But the changes of rules are so unspecific that I don’t think it changed anything. It seems the change of rule was done to be seen to do some changes, than actually do real changes.

Vagabond

ISU would not get involved. I remember how hard it was for Zahorski and Iliuschetchkina to get free.
Those cases aren't comparable. Kolsenik doesn't hold citizenship in the country from whose federation he would need a release.

nylynnr

I know, but that's a Shpilband style dance. It has all the Shpilband-isms. Same with C&P's "flamenco" FD.

Camerlengo's is just cutting and pasting old Shpilband "choreography" and getting paid do a fraction of the actual original choreography he was doing for Krylova's teams (that they weren't getting PCS credit for anyway). Smart business man.
Interesting. I thought the FD developed throughout the season and my impression was Camerlengo worked full or near full-time in Novi with the dancers there. I didn't know he just dropped by and "pasted" programs together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information