Which beloved or highly regarded skaters do you personally NOT love or highly regard??

VGThuy

THIS. Lipniskaia completely skated through her Schindler's List music. People got too blinded by her packaging to see that her artistry and musicality were very much lacking.

I so agree! It was the same melody on repeat as well. It works for a film with long shots to sustain an emotion, but to me, they chose the same repeating melody just so Lipinitskaya could skate blank face as she executed some flexible elements and jumps that had nothing to do with the music. But people were ooohing and ahhhing over those moves. I mean I think it worked because the masses loved it, but I wasn't that keen on it.

Marco

Funnily so many posters are now saying Lipnitskaya and Schindler's List. 6 years ago when I said she skated through the music and didn't deserve those high PCS, I was basically cruxified - how dare you be so critical over a 15 year old girl's musicality.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Funnily so many posters are now saying Lipnitskaya and Schindler's List. 6 years ago when I said she skated through the music and didn't deserve those high PCS, I was basically cruxified - how dare you be so critical over a 15 year old girl's musicality.

It definitely wasn't a popular opinion back in 2014. We must have just about been the only two saying it at the time. Everyone else was raving over Spielberg sending her a letter.

starrynight

Settle down,Karen.

Millennials: am I using the slang correctly?

Everyone should read this article:

I think a lot of this terminology is actually Generation Z. Millennials are not on the forefront of youth culture any more - we are too old. I’m a millennial and I’m rapidly realising now there’s a whole generation below me that thinks I’m old and out of touch lol.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I think a lot of this terminology is actually Generation Z. Millennials are not on the forefront of youth culture any more - we are too old. I’m a millennial and I’m rapidly realising now there’s a whole generation below me that thinks I’m old and out of touch lol.
I read that article a few days ago. I normally don't read comments on articles, but in this case I noticed that almost all of the first few said "and Gen X hates all of you". :lol:

olympic

I am Gen X. I have gotten used to the idea of being out of touch.

We are a strange generation. We lack the optimism of Boomers but were not helicopter parented like Millennials. Probably cuz we were the latchkey home alone kids, and had to grow up on our own; Divorces and single parenting skyrocketed in the 70s when we were in school, so we are moody, cynical and appear to hate everyone

Last edited:

muffinplus

Lipnitskaya was really the start of the Russian Wave so she deserves credit for that. She has an iconic program and moment and that’s probably more than what many skaters ever achieve.

But what was iconic about it though. Her musicality was absent. Medvedeva's 2016 Boston program is far more memorable to me... I think it's Med who really started the Russian revolution

Last edited:

mjb52

I am Gen X. I have gotten used to the idea of being out of touch.

We are a strange generation. We lack the optimism of Boomers but were not helicopter parented like Millennials. Probably cuz we were the latchkey home alone kids, and had to grow up on our own; Divorces and single parenting skyrocketed in the 70s when we were in school, so we are moody, cynical and appear to hate everyone

:) I don't know about the "appear" part lol

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Oh, I forgot another to add to the list.

Rippon.

His sassy snarky act isn't cute, his revisionist history isn't cute ("the judges gave me a go away message in 2015 with my SP score!"...you mean that same SP where you made multiple mistakes and actually got quite a generous score?), the fact that he threw a strop about unfair judging one year (2015) and then immediately did not have a problem with the judging when he benefited from it (2016), and let's not get started on the clubbing program that everyone praised to the eyeballs which was really just posing, a few shoulder shimmies, and some finger waggles.

VGThuy

I said that a few times too. I got yelled at by one poster who used Spielberg’s letter of appreciation and all the awards the score won to rest her case. Still didn’t make me like the program or her execution of it. To be fair, I didn’t like 2014 figure skating very much on all four disciplines.

bardtoob

The Karen 'fad' cannot die fast enough. I guess post 2020 we will move on to a new overused term

The behavior is over used.

The most funny thing was when they used to try to use their temper tantrums on me early in my career in healthcare. I would say my first name, last name, followed by "nice to meet you" with a syrupy sweet smile. They would size me up with their vindictive stare and then realize their dark magic had no power there. Quite frankly, every single nurse and nurse manager I worked with was proudly a bigger badder b*^@% because they had seen this and everything else several times over.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I don’t think replacing one form of bullying with another form of bullying is admirable.

Bullying wrapped up in a cloak of righteousness is something I really hate.

They are not both bullying. There are dramatically less consequences for one than the other.

This is not an argument to be won or lost. It is just something to be mourned.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
The reason I don’t like the term is that I don’t like a common name plenty of really lovely people have being weaponised. How bad would it make one feel to have one’s name turned into a slur?

POC HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS FOREVER.

The white Karens of the world, many of whom I'm sure are lovely people, can suck it up and deal with it. It's a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket.

Of all the things to castigate, this seems like it should be a VERY low priority.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I was never the biggest Paul Wylie fan. I often wonder why he stayed in skating. He just never seemed determined or personally invested enough. Did he ever want to win? Given he was pre-reinstatement, skating seems like an expensive, time consuming, and physically painful hobby. I am certain he could have just studied more and still gotten into Harvard.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
POC HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS FOREVER.

The white Karens of the world, some of whom I'm sure are lovely people, can suck it up and deal with it. It's a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket.

Of all the things to castigate, this seems like it should be a VERY low priority.
AMEN. And please show me all the white, straight people on FSU who have written enraged posts every time a slur was leveled at people of color, Jews, LGBTQ+ people (especially transpeople), Latinx people, or any other demographic that is NOT represented by the majority of FSU posters.

The righteous anger that's arisen here the one time EVER that white women were highlighted as a source of criticism is outrageous. And I say that as someone who is happy to admit there are people of all aspects of my own identity demographic more than deserving of criticism.

On topic: I agree with all the comments about Lipnitskaia's Schindler's List. I don't know if I was vocal on FSU about my dislike of the program at the time, but I never liked it and I also think SL is a very overrated and problematic movie.

p.s. I do not like the term "Karen" and you won't find me using it, but I don't have one iota of energy to devote to people who claim to be traumatized by its popularization.

Marco

I was never the biggest Paul Wylie fan. I often wonder why he stayed in skating. He just never seemed determined or personally invested enough. Did he ever want to win? Given he was pre-reinstatement, skating seems like an expensive, time consuming, and physically painful hobby. I am certain he could have just studied more and still gotten into Harvard.

I see Paul Wylie and Todd Eldredge as very similar - they both had very limited choreographic range. But then at least Todd was able to do jump combinations.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Let's see how much I can wildly veer in one thread over the course of two hours. :p

On topic: I agree with all the comments about Lipnitskaia's Schindler's List. I don't know if I was vocal on FSU about my dislike of the program at the time, but I never liked it and I also think SL is a very overrated and problematic movie.

That program (and her skating!) hasn't aged well at all. And it's only been 6 years!

I was one of many who was enchanted with the program, particularly the performance at Euros (the Olympics performances were uber shaky and barely holding on). But I went back and rewatched it for the first time in a few years and was shocked at the weak basics, really bad jump technique, and the repetitive nature of the program.

Like others have mentioned, it was great packaging, especially the opening and closing facial expressions. And as poorly as that program looks today, I still think that's a standout IJS footwork sequence: musical, difficult, and it actually is done fairly quickly.

I don't think I realized it at the time, but Sotnikova was so much stronger in everything (other than costumes). Lipnitskaya seems like a great person, but I'm relieved that didn't end up winning Olympic gold, probably would have been looked upon the same vein as Hughes' Olympic gold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information