ISU Skating Awards To Debut At 2020 Worlds

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
And even if they were... if someone thinks they are stupid, then that's what they think. It doesn't make it "sour grapes" especially since none of us are in the running for one.

The point is that if you thought the awards were stupid and were pissed they were replacing Worlds exhibitions, that's understandable. But now in the middle of summer, with no competitions likely for the foreseeable future, makes them harmless. If you think they're stupid, they can easily be ignored. That was not the case in March.

Belbin is the perfect host for this type of thing. chef's kiss

Agreed. Although part of me hoped Paul would get the honor of hosting. :shuffle:

barbarafan

The point is that if you thought the awards were stupid and were pissed they were replacing Worlds exhibitions, that's understandable. But now in the middle of summer, with no competitions likely for the foreseeable future, makes them harmless. If you think they're stupid, they can easily be ignored. That was not the case in March.

Agreed. Although part of me hoped Paul would get the honor of hosting. :shuffle:
Paul who?

VGThuy

I wonder if the people complaining should just have their own awards on their Tumblr pages or whatever they use these days. That way we can pick apart their choices. ;)

I'm sure there's valid criticism, but no need to exert THAT much energy into it...I say as I hypocritically complain about the Oscars every year because I find it important even though I know it all means nothing no matter how important it is for the people involved and how it does have an impact financially.

sbaker-12

I remember Danny G saying somewhere that he choreographed Notre Dame for Alina because she was accepting an award in Montreal and would skate an exhibition? Interesting she wasn't shortlisted for anything if she was invited to perform...

I agree the shortlist is less annoying than expected ha.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I wish the ISU had specified in the Most Entertaining Program final nominations that they were thinking in particular of Aymoz's SP performance at Euros.

Also, I hope they have live close-ups of the nominees' faces when the winners are announced. Just in case Eteri doesn't win Best Coach.

VGThuy

Shame you know what is preventing a normal award ceremony. I was imagining Rusty doing the overhead announcements, Johnny being Joan Rivers on the Red Carpet, and some truly angry losers with the winners crying with gratitude and happiness and possibly one of the few moments of positive reinforcement in their lives because they won one of those awards.

starrynight

Shouldn't the 'Best Costume' award go to the designers? :huh:

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!

I will just quote an older post of mine below. If Chock wins for her dress that award should be going to Mathieu Caron - the designer and talent behind the dress. Making something that beautiful also be a functioning piece of athletic wear is impressive.

I really do think the designers need more recognition.

If the choreographers get their own award - why do the skaters get credit for a dress that's designed and made by someone else?

Some skaters are heavily involved in the process of choosing music and choreography - some just skate to what their coaches tell them to do. I imagine it's the same with costumes. Also who has the best costume often has a lot to do with the size of their wallet - but the talent of the designer and maker is what is consistent.

I saw a suggestion on twitter that the award for best costume should go to the designer and I 100% agree.

This tweet was referenced in relation to how the designer of Medvedeva's Geisha costume made that costume. Apparently Medvedeva wanted it to be very very light, and so it was made out of net and each flower petal was made from chiffon and individually cut and the dress came to weigh only 300g.

It's that kind of mastery that should be awarded and the award should be given to the designers and makers of these dresses.

I'd like to see a nominations list including:

Olga Ryabenko: who churns out a million very beautiful and cleverly designed dresses for all of Eteri's girls each season. Very effective use of elastic and stretch I understand so costumes can be pulled on as one piece with no opportunity for malfunctions.

Satomi Ito: who made Medvedeva's and Yuzuru's costumes.

Brad Griffies: who produces a lot of beautiful traditionally stoned dresses.

Lisa McKinnon: who has made Mariah Bell's dresses (and lots of beautiful ones for Wagner). I've always liked her use of airbrushing.

Mathieu Caron who makes costumes for a lot of Montreal skaters including Madison Chock's snake dress.

This season, I would give the award to Ryabenko. A huge part of the Eteri girls' presentation is those impeccable costumes. It would be very nice for her to be publicly rewarded for that. The pressure she would be under to keep delivering would be a lot.

The dress makers and designers who make classy and well designed costumes are such a valuable part of this sport -- as much of the discussion in this thread ought to indicate.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Not how Zakharian planned it.... :D how is he going to make any money? and how will this ISU broadcast will expand the interest in FS outside of FS fans who know about ISU broadcast.... ?

starrynight

Yes. It would have been disappointing when skaters other than the medalists missed out on skating the exhibition.

I know that some guest skaters were invited - Zagitova and Weaver/Poje were to skate as well. So there wouldn't have been any room for 4th place skaters.

I'd much rather this award ceremony happen at a live streamed gala dinner at the conclusion of Worlds. That makes the most sense.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
There should be an award for best social media content posted by a skater. One category for active competitors and one for retired skaters.

I would vote for Satoko.

starrynight

There should be an award for best social media content posted by a skater. One category for active competitors and one for retired skaters.

I would vote for Satoko.

Social networks are awful a lot of the time. I'd be scared of having one if I had any kind of public presence. When things are good, it's nice for skaters to share photos etc but sometimes the negativity and abuse on social networks is suffocating. It's a bubble universe that can be extremely negative and depressing.

I don't think it would be healthy for the ISU to encourage heavy social network use.

I can think of some skaters right now who I can tell from their postings that their mental health is suffering from spending time off ice and too much time reading social networks.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The ISU's going to lose no matter what happens with Hanyu at these awards.

If he loses MVS to Chen, there'll be death threats, rants, raves, carry-ons etc.

If he wins, it'll be, ISU is evil, they use Hanyu, they give him this award but don't let him win real competitions, etc etc.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
What did he say?

I had to pull up my own blog post (now defunct) to remind myself of the specifics. He was not named to the European Championships, and when his Federation told him, he went on an expletive-fueled tirade (n-word included) about the officials there who made the decision.

Sylvia

TBD
He [Majorov] was not named to the [2011] European Championships, and when his Federation told him, he went on an expletive-fueled tirade (n-word included) about the officials there who made the decision.
It was after Swedish Nationals in December 2010. Kristoffer Berntsson and Adrian Schultheiss placed ahead of Majorov, then 19, and they both went to Euros.

Sylvia

TBD
The International Skating Union (ISU) reveals the three nominees in each category of the ISU Skating Awards 2020 which will take place on July 11, 2020 and will be Live Streamed on ISU Skating Awards page from 16:00 CEST.

Copying out the short list...

1) Most Valuable Skater
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating with their fan base, media attention and sponsor appreciation.
  • Nathan CHEN (USA)
  • Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA)
  • Yuzuru HANYU (JPN)
2) Best Costume
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple whose costume reflects creativity, contemporary implementation, fashion, style and originality.
  • Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) (Free Dance)
  • Anna SHCHERBAKOVA (RUS) (Free Skating)
  • Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) (Free Skating ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating)
3) Most Entertaining Program
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple whose program had the best music selection, expression, creativity, contemporary implementation, originality and overall performance.
  • Kevin AYMOZ (FRA) (Short Program)
  • Evgenia MEDVEDEVA (RUS) (Free Skating)
  • Gabriella PAPADAKIS/Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) (Rhythm Dance)
4) Best Newcomer
Honors a talented Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple competing very successfully in ISU Events on the Senior level for the first season.
  • Alena KOSTORNAIA (RUS)
  • Alexandra TRUSOVA (RUS)
  • Young YOU (KOR)
5) Best Choreographer
Honors the choreographic work of a Choreographer who successfully inspired one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples.
  • Shae-Lynn BOURNE
  • Marie-France DUBREUIL
  • Lori NICHOL
6) Best Coach
Honors a Coach who delivered professional and efficient work and achieved outstanding results with one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples.
  • Rafael ARUTYUNYAN
  • Brian ORSER
  • Eteri TUTBERIDZE
7) Lifetime Achievement Award
Honors a Figure Skating legend having achieved great success and popularity and is considered as a role model for the Figure Skating World.
  • Will be revealed live during the Online ISU Skating Awards

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Social networks are awful a lot of the time. I'd be scared of having one if I had any kind of public presence. When things are good, it's nice for skaters to share photos etc but sometimes the negativity and abuse on social networks is suffocating. It's a bubble universe that can be extremely negative and depressing.

I don't think it would be healthy for the ISU to encourage heavy social network use.

I can think of some skaters right now who I can tell from their postings that their mental health is suffering from spending time off ice and too much time reading social networks.

right? I know a few skaters like that

vireo

If Chock wins for her dress that award should be going to Mathieu Caron - the designer and talent behind the dress.

Chock has been very involved in the design of most of C/B's costumes, including the snake dress. A FanZone article gave some details as to how Madison and Mathieu collaborated on the FD costumes :

"Chock literally studied images of snakes—their scales and patterns—to come up with ideas for her dress. She wanted her dress to look like a snake's skin, but not like a snakeskin fabric. She brought drawings to costume designer Mathieu Caron, who made sure it was functional while also creating wow moments. "Together we came up with something beautiful," said Chock.

For Bates, Dubreuil envisioned a turtleneck shirt. Chock found the braiding technique and showed it to Caron, which he incorporated. "

Here's a link to the article: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...k-and-bates-reflect-on-amemorable-season.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information