Which beloved or highly regarded skaters do you personally NOT love or highly regard??

canbelto

^^^^ WTH? I didnt. I prefer mature ladies skaters ala Mao, Carolina, Med and Ashley who express more.

And Im gay so I dont talk about women " as pieces of meat".

Stop your hardcore drama. If youre unable then subscribe to the Bravo network, and pronto.

You used the word "seasoned." Gross.

canbelto

Is there a language disconnect here or what? You've never heard of a 'seasoned veteran'?

And no, it doesn't mean a salted army member.

Yes "seasoned skater" is one thing. "Seasoned women" sounds like something you'd shop for at a supermarket. It's very micro-aggressive.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes "seasoned skater" is one thing. "Seasoned women" sounds like something you'd shop for at a supermarket. It's very micro-aggressive.

'Seasoned women skaters' was the exact quote. And checking for alternate uses of the phrase 'seasoned women' results in nothing but complimentary stuff.

ETA:

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
1. Davis & White
2. Eteri's jumping beans (I like seasoned women skaters, what can I say)
3. Brendan Kerry
4. Daria Pavluchenko & Khodykin
5. Kaitlin Weaver (sorrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)

I’m more upset over Weaver than Eteri’s “jumping beans”. 🤣🤣

canbelto

Well I don't like it. It sounds sexist and condescending. I'm a middle-aged woman who doesn't look "seasoned" -- no curves. I've always hated the "real women" and "seasoned women" shit.

VGThuy

I loved Abbott and was rooting for him but ended up disliking him after the 2014 Olympics. In hindsight, I found that I liked his skating less upon rewatch, and actually ended up respecting Lysacek's skating more even though I disliked Lysacek's skating at the time. Funny how that happened.

All this talk of Abbott and Brown makes me think of another skater I never understood but feel bad feeling this way about: Joshua Farris. When everyone on FSU was oohing and awwing over him with his Schindler's List program and saying he was a true artist compared to a choreographed one like Jason Brown, I was confused. I thought it was generic.

bardtoob

When everyone on FSU was oohing and awwing over him with his Schindler's List program and saying he was a true artist compared to a choreographed one like Jason Brown, I was confused.

Because if Jason had been a true artist, then he would not have let his hair ruin every program he did until he was too old to develop competitive skills.

Fiero425

I loved Abbott and was rooting for him but ended up disliking him after the 2014 Olympics. In hindsight, I found that I liked his skating less upon re-watch, and actually ended up respecting Lysacek's skating more even though I disliked Lysacek's skating at the time. Funny how that happened.

All this talk of Abbott and Brown makes me think of another skater I never understood but feel bad feeling this way about: Joshua Farris. When everyone on FSU was oohing and awwing over him with his Schindler's List program and saying he was a true artist compared to a choreographed one like Jason Brown, I was confused. I thought it was generic.

Just watched 4CCC from 2015 and the commentators had to be either drunk or on drugs! They fawn and elevated Farris to Curry status! "He's taking this sport by storm!" IDK WTF they were looking at! I was nauseated in so many ways! His choice of music (it's iconic) made the performance memorable and that's it! They added up the jumps as if he completed them; failed attempts don't count! Someone needs to tell these cretins just that! Going to '14 US Nat'ls, I liked his quad attempt! I never got the feeling Brown actually tried to make it more than look as if he made a good faith attempt! Farris' landings are all dodgy and everyone needs to hold their breath until he finally comes down! His only advantage IMO is he's younger and marginally cuter! That's all I'm giving him until I see more! :rolleyes:

VGThuy

:huh:
In a field with multiple quads, Jason willed himself to be a medal contender on the basis of his artistry (with his GOE and skating skills). That's like the ultimate example of being an "artistic" skater...if we much buy into strict dichotomies. Plus, keeping a personal hairstyle because of your own personal reasons and expression despite what others think and going against conformity can also a sign of an artist.

Laney

Skaters I never "got":

Virtue/Moir (really not at all. I know they were good, but unfortunately I never liked them)
Yagudin
Plushenko
Yuna Kim (zero soul in her skating)
Shoma Uno (those landings...)
Nathan Chen (still try to see where his great artistry is...)
Patrick Chan (I should like his skating and also can 't explain why not. Never clicked...)
Aljona Savchenko

bardtoob

Believe it or not, but I wish his ponytail back! I've never been a fan of it but I think it fit him better than his current haircut.

And I wish he would shave his head and get a rotated 3A, but you know.

Fiero425

Skaters I never "got":

Virtue/Moir (really not at all. I know they were good, but unfortunately I never liked them)
Yagudin
Plushenko
Yuna Kim (zero soul in her skating)
Shoma Uno (those landings...)
Nathan Chen (still try to see where his great artistry is...)
Patrick Chan (I should like his skating and also can 't explain why not. Never clicked...)
Aljona Savchenko

Yagudin - was initially a fan until he started selfish rivalry with Plushenko!

Plushenko - became my new fave even though I knew Yagudin the more complete skater!

Yuna Kim (zero soul in her skating) - Agreed; all choreographed and soulless programs! So MK really!

Nathan Chen (still try to see where his great artistry is...) - He's winning on his jumping alone; ala Plushenko! There's no artistry!

Patrick Chan - I've always thought of him as a bit of a wild-man skating so out of control at times! It's as if he thinks he can defy the laws of physics and gravity when he goes for some of that edge-work! He's shocked when he hits the ice and I'm saying to myself "he's going down and going down hard!" What an idiot! He had gifts, but maybe it was the Canadian curse or legacy that betrayed him when it really counted at the Olympics! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Marco

I think it is fairer to look back at these skaters AFTER they have retired so that our judgment are not clouded by hype created by the Federation, by fans and by the skaters and their teams, or by our own fandom over them or their competitors, or by some desire to maintain / gain another spot for Worlds / Olympics for your country.

So the question really is, are you changing your minds as time goes by because you have become impartial, or because you have become more educated about the sport.

Vagabond

I admit I’m a fan of men’s skating just for the jumping skills, but I’m surprised to see so many ice dancers being bashed. Is it more the style that bores you? Or just certain couples?
For me, there are only a handful of couples that really perk my interest.

From the original post:
who makes you shrug your shoulders, take a fridge break, or go meh when they skate.
It's partly the discipline itself, which has, not without reason, always been criticized for not being a sport, but then again, there are couples that have made me get what Ice Dancing is all about.

When I watch even many of the top couples, I get much more of a feeling that they are just going through the required elements than I do when I watch the top Singles skaters and Pairs. I also find that many ice dancers' interpretation of the music to be either generic, smug, or kitsch (or both).

It also doesn't help when couples insist on skating to Phantom of the Opera. :scream:

And then there are a few ice dancers, mostly men, whose demeanor on ice immediately before the program itself, drains my interest.

All that said, Papadakis & Cizeron, Davis & White, and Chock & Bates, all of whom several posters have mentioned, are not on my list of skaters who make me shrug my shoulders or take a fridge break.

Others are free to disagree. No brickbats, please. :)

:blocjudge

Last edited:

VGThuy

It’s very true that ice dance has been connecting the required elements. I think that’s why P/C are so loved because I think they do the best in going beyond that. Even if I don’t always like their programs they never make me think they’re just doing elements.

Japanfan

Which is why I don't mind suggesting (just suggesting! :saint: ) that the only reason V&M came back is becuase they got a deal to win in 2018. P&C would lose the SD, but win the FD to make it look close. The dress coming undone was a lucky coincidence.
P&C skate on until 2022 rather than retiring. Win, win.

Again, not saying that happened, but just throwing it out there like Scott.

My perception was the P/C were 'supposed' to win in 2018. Then came the costume malfunction, and V&M skated last in the free, and delivered a masterpiece.

TBH I think the judges themselves were confused.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I forgot to list Abbott - I never, ever got what people thought was so wonderful about his skating, and his continuous implosions on the international stage just added to my opinion. Add in his comments after his horrific Olympic team skate in 2014, and that just made him look worse in my eyes.

By 2014, anyone who'd been watching skating for more than 5 minutes knew he was gonna fcuk it up at the Olympics. And then that horrible team event comment.

The fact that Abbott got to go to two Olympics and fcuk both of them up while others, perhaps more deserving, ended up going to none...and we knew Abbott would screw it up the second time.

Joshua Farris. When everyone on FSU was oohing and awwing over him with his Schindler's List program and saying he was a true artist compared to a choreographed one like Jason Brown, I was confused. I thought it was generic.

Hey, hey, that was Johnny Weir who said that, not FSU, and Weir's never exactly made a secret of his hideous jealousy over Jason's ability. Weir would have turned on Josh, too, eventually.

Oh I forgot... Lipnitskaya and Schinder's list. I am probably on of the few who is also not crazy about Lipnitskaya for all the hype and prefer Eteri's later students

I've said for years that Lipnitskaya's SL was one big fat gimmick and the world ate it up like candy. Hey, we've got a stone-faced skater who doesn't connect with music at all. Quick, let's give her a tragic program so that we can say she's just "serious" and put her in a little red coat dress to fake an emotional connection that's not present.

Although perhaps the worst thing I saw in relation to it was the next season when some idiots on skating twitter were saying that Joshua's program must have been inspired by hers...when he'd actually repeated his FS from the Olympic year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information