Alexei Yagudin wishes death on Adam Rippon for donating to a Black trans charity

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It could be due to both Yagudin's upbringing and his suppression of 'same boat' feelings, especially since he exhibits various kinds of bias, chiefly in this instance, racism and homophobia.

I linked to the interview Yagudin gave where he flat-out said he had no friends in America except for Rudy Galindo for some period in 1998 or 1999, and with that people came to the conclusion that Alexei must've been gay as well and he had to deal with that.

If it was his upbringing, I find it unlikely he would waver between addressing the rumors and saying it didn't bother him-- in his peak of his career.. to all of a sudden it (repeatedly) seeming to bother him so much.

mjb52

I think I said this in the context of his remarks about Jason Brown, but Yagudin seems from the outside to have such a great life, a beautiful and talented wife, great kids, a very successful career, that for me it makes it even more shocking when he goes out of his way to be so cruel, even though of course having a great life doesn't actually make people kinder or nicer in reality and the points people make here about what might be going on internally are sensible ones. I guess even though it's not logical, there is still some part of me that would expect someone who has so much to be a more gracious person. It would just be so easy to not say these things.

Excidra

My assumption is that a lot Of these Russian skaters, especially those based in Russia, are racist and homophobes. I watched a documentary that followed a group of Russian men who made it a sport to hunt down gay men. Once caught, these men would be either exposed to their families or they'd be hurt.

One of my friends from university shared with me his experience of when he lived in Russia to study. My friend is from Africa and I could not believe the blatant racism and harassment he experienced from from fellow students and the public.

FYI- Yagudin is disgusting. I hope this wasn't an attempt to gain 15 minutes of fame because, like Adam said, no one really cares about what Yagudin has to say.

I support Adam's response, profanity and all, 100%.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think I said this in the context of his remarks about Jason Brown, but Yagudin seems from the outside to have such a great life, a beautiful and talented wife, great kids, a very successful career, that for me it makes it even more shocking when he goes out of his way to be so cruel, even though of course having a great life doesn't actually make people kinder or nicer in reality and the points people make here about what might be going on internally are sensible ones. I guess even though it's not logical, there is still some part of me that would expect someone who has so much to be a more gracious person. It would just be so easy to not say these things.

Honestly, people need to realize that we’re all human. I love watching the skaters perform, and yes I’m curious if they’re single or taken. But to judge someone on their sexuality is like judging someone on their skin color. Pointless as it doesn’t change who they are as a person. The only judging should be on ice for their skating skills.

vgerdes

Honestly, people need to realize that we’re all human. I love watching the skaters perform, and yes I’m curious if they’re single or taken. But to judge someone on their sexuality is like judging someone on their skin color. Pointless as it doesn’t change who they are as a person. The only judging should be on ice for their skating skills.

IMO people also deserve to be judged for the things they say. Alexei is a repeat offender in this department. Adam was completely justified in his response, profanity and all.

zebraswan

My assumption is that a lot Of these Russian skaters, especially those based in Russia, are racist and homophobes. I watched a documentary that followed a group of Russian men who made it a sport to hunt down gay men. Once caught, these men would be either exposed to their families or they'd be hurt.

One of my friends from university shared with me his experience of when he lived in Russia to study. My friend is from Africa and I could not believe the blatant racism and harassment he experienced from from fellow students and the public.

FYI- Yagudin is disgusting. I hope this wasn't an attempt to gain 15 minutes of fame because, like Adam said, no one really cares about what Yagudin has to say.

I support Adam's response, profanity and all, 100%.

First of all, there are racists and homophobes everywhere. With all that has been going on in the US lately, it's just lazy deflection to say Yagudin is like this because he's Russian. Yes, we know that the Russian govt has been pushing homophobic "family values" for the past several years but still, most educated and worldly Russians would never wish death on gay people. I could name plenty of Russian skaters who have no problem at all w/gay people and have never once shown themselves to be racist. This is the guy that had that dreadful "One Banana" program...does anyone remember that??? He's always been "special," shall we say. There is something deeply wrong with him to attack someone for something they posted on their own page, which did not concern him in the least, and then to double down on the rhetoric afterward. He doesn't even have the excuse of religion to hide behind, which is the usual cop-out, especially here in the US.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
IMO people also deserve to be judged for the things they say. Alexei is a repeat offender in this department. Adam was completely justified in his response, profanity and all.

You’re so right on that. Adam took the high road, Alexei is just digging a deeper hole for himself

vgerdes

You’re so right on that. Adam took the high road, Alexei is just digging a deeper hole for himself
Well, I don't know if I would say that he took the high road completely, LOL. While his initial response was to take Alexei's homophobic rant and turn it into something positive, when Alexei tried to apologize later, Adam told him to take his fake apology and his gold medal and "shove them all the way up his entire ass." I admit, I laughed. A lot.

Excidra

No where in my post did I say that racism and homophobia is exclusive to Russia. I am well aware that racism exists everywhere, as a black man I live that reality everyday. What I do believe is that racism in Russia is culturally not denounced as much as it is in North America.

Based on my experience, I did say that both racism and homophobia appears to be condoned in Russia. My father attended university in Russia in the 70s, and although his experience was mostly positive ashe kept to himself, he did say that he was viewed as the "other" and didn't fully fit in with his classmates and the community.

First of all, there are racists and homophobes everywhere. With all that has been going on in the US lately, it's just lazy deflection to say Yagudin is like this because he's Russian. Yes, we know that the Russian govt has been pushing homophobic "family values" for the past several years but still, most educated and worldly Russians would never wish death on gay people. I could name plenty of Russian skaters who have no problem at all w/gay people and have never once shown themselves to be racist. This is the guy that had that dreadful "One Banana" program...does anyone remember that??? He's always been "special," shall we say. There is something deeply wrong with him to attack someone for something they posted on their own page, which did not concern him in the least, and then to double down on the rhetoric afterward. He doesn't even have the excuse of religion to hide behind, which is the usual cop-out, especially here in the US.

Last edited:

CaliSteve

Well, I don't know if I would say that he took the high road completely, LOL. While his initial response was to take Alexei's homophobic rant and turn it into something positive, when Alexei tried to apologize later, Adam told him to take his fake apology and his gold medal and "shove them all the way up his entire ass." I admit, I laughed. A lot.

Adam's response was appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information