FSU Watch (and judge!) party: 98 Worlds ladies SP - SAT, MAY 30th @ 12pm CDT / 7pm CET

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Join us for some late 90s ladies skating! :cheer: This will be both a watch party and 6.0 judging game. Do whatever you feel like: simply join us on Saturday for a watch party and join us for the pbp thread. Or sign up to be a judge (I'd love to get a full panel of 9 judges!): either judge the event "live" on Saturday, or judge it on your schedule, as the youtube playlist is available now. More information on judging in next post.

This event is notorious for crazy ordinals and skaters flip-flopping everywhere. Should be a fun one!

Youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvMMf5n_a9Iu00CmGYXFAowyRdzbwthxM
Special thanks to Sk8FraSch on youtube for uploading almost every video here.

Starting order:

Vanesssa Gusmeroli FRA
Tatiana Malinina UZB
Zuzana Paurova SVK
Joanne Carter AUS
Maria Butyrskaya RUS
Yulia Lavrenchuk UKR

Silvia Fontana ITA
Angie Derochie CAN
Diana Poth HUN
Julia Sebestyen HUN
Yulia Vorobieva AZE
Lenka Kulovana CZE

Anna Rechnio POL
Irina Slutskaya RUS
Shizuka Arakawa JPN
Tanja Szewczenko GER
Marie Pierre Leray FRA
Elena Sokolova RUS

Michelle Kwan USA
Mojca Kopac SLO
Tonia Kwiaktowski USA
Lucinda Ruh SUI
Elena Liashenko UKR
Laetitia Hubert FRA

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
So you wanna be a judge?

If you want to judge this event, shoot me a DM here so I confirm and add you to the list below.
@Marco , @misskarne , @clairecloutier , @Jeschke , @Plusdinfo , @floskate , @kwanatic , @VGThuy , @Michalle , @Louis , and @casken all expressed interest in the last thread of potentially judging, so I'm tagging you here. No worries if you're not interested, but if you can judge this competition, please confirm with me. Anyone else--if you're interested in judging, let me know. Even if we get more than 9 judges, we can do 2 separate panels. The more the merrier.

Confirmed judges:
1 @alchemy void UZB
2 @Tony Wheeler SVK
3 @Louis
4 @Jeschke GER
5 @Idec NED
6 @Ninel' Pinskaya BLR
7 @casken FRA
8 @VGThuy USA
9 @Erin CAN

10 @Marco HGK
11 @skateboy
12 @Plusdinfo UAE

If 6.0 isn't your thing, no worries. As long as this doesn't turn out to be a total hot mess, we will judge an IJS event in the near future.

Requirements to judge
All I ask is that you are familiar with the 6.0 system (check out the resources below for a quick refresh).
  • Please watch the skaters in skate order (the order of the youtube playlist). Judges can watch and submit their scores anytime. No need to watch on Saturday if you can't make it or don't want to make it.
  • Please submit your scores anytime from now to end of day, Monday June 1st. Compile all your scores in one message and PM to me by end of the day Monday. I don't care if you score skaters one by one in the live pbp thread, but I will need each judge to compile all their scores.
  • Please try to make your scores before we see the actual judges' scores.
  • Remember, in 6.0, you are ranking skaters against each other. At the end of the day, all that matters is how you ranked the skaters, from 1 to 24. I find it helpful to maintain a list of how you scored each skater as you watch the competition, so you can effectively rank the skaters.
  • Pick a country to represent for easy identification. :D
6.0 judging resources
A little rusty on 6.0 judging guidelines? It's only been 15 years since the last international 6.0 event. ;) Here are some easy resources to refresh your memory:

Short program mandatory deductions
Overview of the 6.0 system

How to score the presentation mark:
  1. Harmonious composition of the program as a whole and its conformity with the music chosen
  2. Variation of speed
  3. Utilization of the ice surface
  4. Easy movement and sureness in time to the music
  5. Carriage and style
  6. Originality
  7. Expression of the character of the music
Please share any other 6.0 resources here. Thanks!

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I was just joking! But I will definitely watch and admire the rest of your judging.
ITA. And I'll watch and admire, too! If this was being shown on TV again, I'd volunteer to do the commentary. I'm sure I could do a great job except for one thing; my southern accent.

A few years back, one of my friends and I were discussing a pairs couple that won their 3rd World Title in 2007. Because of my accent, my friend thought I was talking about a new pairs couple. He finally realized I was talking about Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao.

My friend told me then that if I ever became a commentator that people would be thinking that I was talking about new Pairs couples they had never heard of before.

This also happens whenever I ask Cortana questions. She still is not accustom to my southern accent and will pull up information that is out of this world. It's information I didn't even ask about, but it is quite entertaining to see how Cortana will respond to my questions.

So I'll just be happy to watch and admire everyone's judging that volunteers here at FSU. :cheer2:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I really want to judge but unfortunately, I can’t this Saturday.

Do you have time to watch and judge any of the next few days? The youtube playlist is up right now, and 3 judges have already sent their scores to me. Not all the judges are watching Saturday anyways--I think that's going to be mostly a watch party with some judging thrown in. I set Monday night as the deadline, think you can make it work? I really want you on the panel. :)

VGThuy

Do you have time to watch and judge any of the next few days? The youtube playlist is up right now, and 3 judges have already sent their scores to me. Not all the judges are watching Saturday anyways--I think that's going to be mostly a watch party with some judging thrown in. I set Monday night as the deadline, think you can make it work? I really want you on the panel. :)

Ok count me in!

Erin

Banned Member
I usually prefer to recreational watch rather than judge, but I heard a rumour you were looking for a Canadian judge, so I’m in (someone has to politick for Angie Derochie). I feel like I could use a distraction now and having to focus on WTF ladies skating could help.

S

SmallFairy

Rechnio! Hubert! Epic SP!
I hope I can make the watch party, we're off to the cottage for the weekend and internet is not perfect there, but we might also be at home by tomorrow night.... Fingers crossed!

D

Deleted member 221

I've submitted my marks :sekret:. For those not judging, I'm curious about a prediction contest:

1) Skater whom the FSU panel places most above where she finished
2) Skater whom the FSU panel places most below where she finished
3) Skater with the largest difference between highest and lowest ordinals, according to the FSU panel
4) Whether or not the FSU panel has at least one skater with a 13-placement ordinal spread, as the actual panel did
5) # / % of the final free skate group that would be the same, according to the FSU panel
6) Whether or not first place ordinals are unanimous from the FSU panel
ETA:
7) Skater with the widest range of required elements marks from the FSU panel
8) Whether any skater has a range of at least 1.2 for required elements, which (I believe) was the widest range of the actual panel.
9) Whether the FSU panel's results would have caused any flip-flops
10) Whether the results of the FSU would be the same using TOM or OBO calculation methods :COP:.

Judges should obviously not predict, at least not until they've submitted their marks.

This was a really good competition to pick - props to Tony Wheeler for suggesting it, and to alchemy void for organizing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

antmanb

@alchemy void or anyone else - what were the SP requirements? I remember that spins had to have a certain number of rotations but can't remember. Did the ladies have to do layback, combination and flying?

Just trying to decide if I want to judge! I used to know 6.0 like the back of my hand but seemingly don't remember squat now :lol:

Marco

Can I clarify -

combo jump - double-double allowed?
solo jump - double allowed?
layback - min 8 revs?
flying spin - min 8 revs?
combo spin - min 5 revs on each foot?

For the sequences, I am going to be lenient on completeness of patterns because sometimes the camera angles can be deceiving.

Taso

Can I clarify -

combo jump - double-double allowed?
solo jump - double allowed?

For the sequences, I am going to be lenient on completeness of patterns because sometimes the camera angles can be deceiving.

These two I remember. Yes on the solo jump, but the combo must be double-triple, triple-double, or triple-triple

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Combination jump had to be at least a 3+2 or 2+3. 3+3 was also valid. Double jump was allowed until 2003 season.

I believe the flying and layback spin were only 6 revs at that time and then moved up to 8 in 1999 season, but I may be wrong there. See below.

Last edited:

gkelly

Combination jump had to be at least a 3+2 or 2+3. 3+3 was also valid. Double jump was allowed until 2003 season.

Yes.

I believe the flying and layback spin were only 6 revs at that time and then moved up to 8 in 1999 season, but I may be wrong there.

As of the 1995 season, the minimum required revolutions in short program spins are
8 revolutions in position for spins in one position without a change of foot
(flying spin for both sexes, layback for ladies)
6 revolutions on each foot for spins with a change of foot
(combination spin for both sexes, change sit or change camel for men)

Earlier in the 1990s the minimums had been been 6 for the one-position spins and 5 on each foot for the change foot spins, but that had been superseded for several years as of 1998.

Also as of 1995, minimum spin revolutions were introduced for freeskates, I believe for the first time. These were similar to the earlier SP requirements:
6 for solo spins and 10 total for combinations (irrespective of change of foot in the freeskate)

The minimums now remain the same as what was passed in 1994-1995. Of course now most skaters are aiming for far more revolutions because they're trying to achieve multiple features for higher IJS levels.

At novice and lower levels, the minimums are lower.

VGThuy

Is there a document with a list of mandatory deductions? I probably missed it earlier in this thread.

NVM: it’s in the third post.

J

Jeschke

I am really curious!
I think I will do a better job in IJS, but this was much fun nontheless.

Good for me, I haven't seen much before and therefore wasn't too biased :D
Can't wait to see the other scores and see how much I f***d up :gallopin1

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
So you wanna be a judge?

If you want to judge this event, shoot me a DM here so I confirm and add you to the list below.
@Marco , @misskarne , @clairecloutier , @Jeschke , @Plusdinfo , @floskate , @kwanatic , @VGThuy , @Michalle , @Louis , and @casken all expressed interest in the last thread of potentially judging, so I'm tagging you here. No worries if you're not interested, but if you can judge this competition, please confirm with me. Anyone else--if you're interested in judging, let me know. Even if we get more than 9 judges, we can do 2 separate panels. The more the merrier.

Confirmed judges:
1 @alchemy void UZB
2 @Tony Wheeler SVK
3 @Louis
4 @Jeschke GER
5 @Idec NED
6 @Ninel' Pinskaya BLR
7 @casken FRA
8 @VGThuy USA
9 @Erin CAN

10 @Marco HGK
11 @skateboy
12 @Plusdinfo UAE

If 6.0 isn't your thing, no worries. As long as this doesn't turn out to be a total hot mess, we will judge an IJS event in the near future.

Requirements to judge
All I ask is that you are familiar with the 6.0 system (check out the resources below for a quick refresh).
  • Please watch the skaters in skate order (the order of the youtube playlist). Judges can watch and submit their scores anytime. No need to watch on Saturday if you can't make it or don't want to make it.
  • Please submit your scores anytime from now to end of day, Monday June 1st. Compile all your scores in one message and PM to me by end of the day Monday. I don't care if you score skaters one by one in the live pbp thread, but I will need each judge to compile all their scores.
  • Please try to make your scores before we see the actual judges' scores.
  • Remember, in 6.0, you are ranking skaters against each other. At the end of the day, all that matters is how you ranked the skaters, from 1 to 24. I find it helpful to maintain a list of how you scored each skater as you watch the competition, so you can effectively rank the skaters.
  • Pick a country to represent for easy identification. :D
6.0 judging resources
A little rusty on 6.0 judging guidelines? It's only been 15 years since the last international 6.0 event. ;) Here are some easy resources to refresh your memory:

Short program mandatory deductions
Overview of the 6.0 system

How to score the presentation mark:
  1. Harmonious composition of the program as a whole and its conformity with the music chosen
  2. Variation of speed
  3. Utilization of the ice surface
  4. Easy movement and sureness in time to the music
  5. Carriage and style
  6. Originality
  7. Expression of the character of the music
Please share any other 6.0 resources here. Thanks!

Veryyyyy interesting... ANL may throw his hat into the ring....

Refresh my Whiskey Sour... Japan only had 1 skater that year and USA only 2?

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Veryyyyy interesting... ANL may throw his hat into the ring....

Refresh my Whiskey Sour... Japan only had 1 skater that year and USA only 2?

Japan wasn’t a powerhouse in the 90s after Sato retired. Ito did get into the top 10 in ‘96 but by 1998 it was down to one. It wouldn’t get back to 2 until Suguri placed 7th in 2001.

Im not sure how you don’t know that Nikodinov decided to take a family trip to Bulgaria in 1998 and wasn’t available as a substitute when named. Since there were no other subs listed, only two ladies went to Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information