Sport24: Aleksandra Trusova leaving Tutberidze for Plushenko

lala

They might have been when she was training them, but if you watch the vid that was posted you'll see her competetive attempts and I believe a fully landed one in practice. Again, there were much easier on the eye than Ando's.

Werent Cohen's quads in a harness?

She landed in practice at Skate America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adbq89r-8pw and failed it at Finlandia Trophy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHedeIKkyw&t=2m

Skibean

Wasn’t this how Cohen got her serious back injury and had to sit out Nationals one year?or was it just a few competitions she missed? Trying to land that quad?
Also, you can’t really change who was credited for the quad first. Look at Irina Slutskaya getting credit for very cheated 3/3’s. Still gets credit.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Wasn’t this how Cohen got her serious back injury and had to sit out Nationals one year?or was it just a few competitions she missed? Trying to land that quad?
Also, you can’t really change who was credited for the quad first. Look at Irina Slutskaya getting credit for very cheated 3/3’s. Still gets credit.
She sat out Nationals the season before (2001) she was attempting the quads in competition, I cannot remember if the injury was due to her working on quads in the first place.

Skibean

She sat out Nationals the season before (2001) she was attempting the quads in competition, I cannot remember if the injury was due to her working on quads in the first place.

Thank you. I just remember all the fuss and her being called the quad queen despite not landing one in competition. She was a beautiful skater, very inconsistent, but pretty to earth nonetheless. Sorry to hijack the thread.

layman

Thank you. I just remember all the fuss and her being called the quad queen despite not landing one in competition. She was a beautiful skater, very inconsistent, but pretty to earth nonetheless. Sorry to hijack the thread.
Too late...it has already been hijacked. Sasha Cohen did not need the quad (that's probably what Mr. Nicks told her...that it was not worth the risk at that time). Her basic skating was so advanced...her exquisite line and posture, the way she held and finished every move, the extraordinary way that she used music (all she really needed to do was stay on her feet through a long and short program)...now if we could just give Sasha Trusova any of those qualities (that Sasha Cohen had in abundance), she would win everything in sight!

I don't think that it is impossible either. As I have pointed out before, Sasha Trusova was the only one of the Three A's, who bothered to point her feet and extend her line. Now, if we could just get her to do that a little better, work on her posture and listen to her music more, I think she could be a more all-round skater.

antmanb

Too late...it has already been hijacked. Sasha Cohen did not need the quad (that's probably what Mr. Nicks told her...that it was not worth the risk at that time). Her basic skating was so advanced...her exquisite line and posture, the way she held and finished every move, the extraordinary way that she used music (all she really needed to do was stay on her feet through a long and short program)...now if we could just give Sasha Trusova any of those qualities (that Sasha Cohen had in abundance), she would win everything in sight!

Her line, posture and musicality were all exquisite, as you say, however, her basic stroking and edge work was decidedly not - she was not a fast skater and her ice coverage was just OK. In relation to other skaters of her era she lacked in the skating skills side. Arakawa, Slutskaya, Kostner, even Ando had the upper hand in speed and edges. Cohen made it all look better but she wasn't as fast or on such deep edges as any else at the top and its particularly noticeable on the spirals where Cohen's amplitude and toe point and lines were exquisite but below the skating ankle the edge was weak and wobbly and not as fast.

layman

Her line, posture and musicality were all exquisite, as you say, however, her basic stroking and edge work was decidedly not - she was not a fast skater and her ice coverage was just OK. In relation to other skaters of her era she lacked in the skating skills side. Arakawa, Slutskaya, Kostner, even Ando had the upper hand in speed and edges. Cohen made it all look better but she wasn't as fast or on such deep edges as any else at the top and its particularly noticeable on the spirals where Cohen's amplitude and toe point and lines were exquisite but below the skating ankle the edge was weak and wobbly and not as fast.
How would you say Sasha Trusova compares to her peers in the speed and edge quality department?

antmanb

How would you say Sasha Trusova compares to her peers in the speed and edge quality department?

I honestly don't know I've not seen Trusova or any of her current competitors live, with the exception of Medvedeva and that was a few years ago before she moved to Orser so I wouldn't be able to comment.

Ka3sha

I have seen all of them together for the few times, and Kostornaia is definitely the best one, IMO.
Trusova has good overall speed and actually pretty decent basics. She needs a lot of polish and to work on her musicality - and I truly believe that her previous team didn’t pay enough attention to this and didn’t work on it at all.
Scherbakova, on the other hand, is a musical and more polished skater, but her speed and edges also needs a lot of work. What bothers me - sometimes you get an impression that she skates as if she a bit clubfooted (sorry, if I used a wrong term)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information