From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Novogorsk director: 10,000 masks have been ordered, each athlete/skater will have 4 units for each day. Gloves are also available.

Глава базы «Новогорск»: «Закупили 10 тысяч масок, чтобы на день выдавать четыре штуки каждому фигуристу. Перчатки тоже есть»

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Maxim Kovtun released a song and music video
Is it really horrible or am just too old to understand the genious behind it? Was it even Russian he is speaking on?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Velikova is against - Things are still far from ok, if I were a parent I would not let my kids go to Novogorks. But it's a personal decision. See, you first have to get to Moscow - drive, take a plane...
In our group there are 2 junior team pairs - Ahantieva/Kolesov and Kuzmina/Hvalki. Seems they were offered to train in Novogorks sometime soon, but we are hesitating. How do we get there? It's dangerous. If I were a parent I would not let the kids go'

starrynight

Are the dancers and pairs starting training or is it only the Moscow ladies?

I guess the urgency to restart is on the Moscow ladies.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
It sounds like a collection of unrelated words with no meaning and no connection which he says using wrong stresses as if Russian was not his mother tongue and he was trying to guess from reading the word where the stress should go. And missing.

At my low level of Russian, it sounds good to me, lol

mjb52

Are the dancers and pairs starting training or is it only the Moscow ladies?

I guess the urgency to restart is on the Moscow ladies.

Svinin/Zhuk's teams seem to be going. I'm trying to avoid needily questioning whether another group is going and just patiently waiting to find out instead.

Rina RUS

Is it really horrible or am just too old to understand the genious behind it? Was it even Russian he is speaking on?

It's Russian, of course. He must be able to do something like this in English, so now we can send him to Evrovision - why not? 🚲

Last edited:

lala

It's Russian, of course. He must be able to do something like this in English, so now we can send him to Evrovision - why not?

I believe the Russian language is not fit to the rap as many other languages..I don't understand every word but Kovtun's tempo is not good. But I'm not a rap expert. :D Probably it would be better in english. Plus there is too much effects with his voice..

lala

Velikova is against - Things are still far from ok, if I were a parent I would not let my kids go to Novogorks. But it's a personal decision. See, you first have to get to Moscow - drive, take a plane...
In our group there are 2 junior team pairs - Ahantieva/Kolesov and Kuzmina/Hvalki. Seems they were offered to train in Novogorks sometime soon, but we are hesitating. How do we get there? It's dangerous. If I were a parent I would not let the kids go'

I must agree, unfortunately. In Russia there are 8599 new cases. I know Russia is huge but only in Moscow there are 2516 new cases...Moscow is the center of the Russian epidemic.

starrynight

I'm remembering back to how catching pneumonia hit Tuktamysheva's 2018/2019 season like a wrecking ball.

This 'rona sucks, and I hope that it doesn't lurk around causing issues like that. Wasn't much fun as a fan to see something totally out of her control just wreck her fitness and form. Even though she got back into shape, she couldn't get it done fast enough to make the Worlds qualification.

Athletes sometimes seem to be so delicate with things like that. You hear so many stories of skaters turning up to competitions only to get flus and food poisoning etc. Most of the time they manage to battle through well enough that they don't talk too much about it.

Last edited:

barbarafan

I had no idea it was possible. I'd have thought it would hamper their breathing.
Good point...I wear a mask when I do have to go to the store.I always feel restricted in my breathing which I have never felt before. I do not smoke and never have smoked and I have never had pneumonia or any like illness. My face starts to feel overheated and I am so glad to exit the store. I guess if I lose 25 lbs I would feel better but I still can't imagine anyone pushing themselves to their physical limits when they are training elements.

starrynight

I wonder if people who come from countries where masks are regularly worn from a very young age are just better at being used to it?

Masks are very uncomfortable, but when I was in Japan people seemed to work all day in them and saw a lot of very little children walking around in them. Perhaps one just gets used to it?

DobrinFan

Mishin and Plushenko's groups will be in Kislovodsk

Rina RUS

I don't understand every word but Kovtun's tempo is not good. But I'm not a rap expert. :D Probably it would be better in english. Plus there is too much effects with his voice..

I'd say the worst thing about Kovtun's song is his pronunciation which doesn't sound like Russian pronunciation (not the stresses, but the sounds). Some Russian singers now have the same "foreign" sounds in melodious songs - not in rap. I don't like it. Yes, I think it happens because they want to have some "effects with the voice".

I believe the Russian language is not fit to the rap as many other languages.

I don't listen to rap, but with Russian pronunciation it is something like this (this is Basta):

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Athletes sometimes seem to be so delicate with things like that. You hear so many stories of skaters turning up to competitions only to get flus and food poisoning etc. Most of the time they manage to battle through well enough that they don't talk too much about it.

Numerous studies over the last 35 years report an increase in upper respiratory infection (URI) symptoms in athletes during periods of heavy training and competition. Challenges athletes face such as heavy exercise and life stress influence immune function. Prolonged heavy training sessions in particular have been shown to decrease immune function; potentially providing an ‘open window’ for opportunistic infections. During this “open window” of altered immunity (which may last between 3 and 72 hours, depending on the measure of immune function), viruses and bacteria may gain a foothold, increasing the risk of subclinical and clinical infection.

Ka3sha

Boikova/Kozlovski and Moskvina are staying in St Petersburg. Aleksandra is graduating from school this summer and has to pass state exams. Usually these exams are in held in the end of May/beginning of June, but this year the president postponed it until the end of June.

mjb52

Looks like Samarin is going to Kislovodsk? And also Aliyev and Ignatov. Based on some google translated links from some of the other articles posted already (I think the tass one).

starrynight

Mishin and Plushenko's groups will be in Kislovodsk

I am familiar with Novogorsk (huge multi-sport training base with large accomodation facilities) - but what is the training centre in Kislovodsk?

Rina RUS

The name "Kislovodsk" means that it is a watering place (mineral waters), but wiki also knows a bit about sport:

"Kislovodsk Park plays a large role in preparing athletes from all over Russia and other CIS countries for various competitions, including the Olympic Games. The climate of Kislovodsk, oxygenated air, elevation on the paths of the park raises the tone and gives a surge of energy to athletes before the competition. In the heart of the park, near the Valley of the Roses, an outdoor swimming pool was built, one of the largest in the region (currently not functioning). In addition, for the Moscow Olympics-80, an Olympic complex was built on the Dzhinalsky ridge to prepare Soviet athletes for the Olympics. It was used for the same purposes later. On Victory Avenue, in the geographical center of the city, a stadium, another small swimming pool (indoor) and a hostel were built to prepare the Olympians. In the early 1990s, the complex was transferred to the structures of the Russian Air Force, which allowed it to be preserved. In March 2011, on the basis of the Olympic complex, the Ministry of Sport, Tourism and Youth Policy of the Russian Federation established the Yug Sport Branch of the Federal State Unitary Enterprise - the only sports training base in Russia located in the midlands at an altitude of 1242 meters above sea level. Athletes from all over the country and neighboring countries take part in training camps in Kislovodsk year-round."

(on the right you can see the map: Kislovodsk is marked with a green sircle)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information