From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I said "as long as the park was already open." If the park was not open, which of course it wouldn't be if everyone was asked to stay in their homes, then I do see the problem.

Fairuza

I said "as long as the park was already open." If the park was not open, which of course it wouldn't be if everyone was asked to stay in their homes, then I do see the problem.
you seem not to understand how things Japanese work, that’s it. That “of course“ gives that away.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
you seem not to understand how things Japanese work, that’s it. That “of course“ gives that away.

I freely admit that I don't understand how things Japanese work. I've never been to Japan and don't know many Japanese people.

Fairuza

I freely admit that I don't understand how things Japanese work. I've never been to Japan and don't know many Japanese people.
Then perhaps you shouldn’t offer an opinion about what irked people who posted in her insta so much? They see a problem about the Japanese people from Tokyo etc giving up on their holiday plans to travel to the countryside up in the north because of coronavirus and Evgenia freely roaming around the country meantime. Let alone the fact they don’t quite see why Medvedeva chose to come to Japan at all.

starrynight

I've been to Japan and it was immediately clear that there are rules. Like the kind that aren't enforced but everyone follows. For example, the way everyone lines up really neatly to board the train. No pushing and shoving or standing in someone's way. And there's no one there making people do it.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I've been to Japan and it was immediately clear that there are rules. Like the kind that aren't enforced but everyone follows. For example, the way everyone lines up really neatly to board the train. No pushing and shoving or standing in someone's way. And there's no one there making people do it.
Well actually there is a lot of pushing and shoving, it’s just done in a very regimented way 😉

starrynight

Well actually there is a lot of pushing and shoving, it’s just done in a very regimented way 😉

Ha ha ha Where I am, everyone just stands all around like Brown's Cows pushing into the milking shed. I stayed in a hotel above Shinjuku Station (I think) and it was fun watching everyone line up either side of the doors in neat lines.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Ha ha ha Where I am, everyone just stands all around like Brown's Cows pushing into the milking shed. I stayed in a hotel above Shinjuku Station (I think) and it was fun watching everyone line up either side of the doors in neat lines.
Ah yes but once they’re on the train or trying to get out - that’s when it’s survival of the fittest!!
Not to mention that one guy who squeezes in at the last second, taking the last 5% of lung capacity the rest of the passengers had left!

muffinplus

I do think flying to Japan for a show that was very likely to be postponed was a bad judgement from Medvedeva. But if you only read the online vitriol against her right now you'd think that the C-19 is started by her. :rolleyes:

She is getting vitriol because her social media is making her look clueless at best and irresponsible at worst.

Do you really think all these comments (and there are a few defending her) are just UBERS and crazy fans?

Last edited:

zebraswan

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/...ay-away-from-cancelled-flower-festival-042720

Can we stop with the stereotypes about how Japanese are all such docile rule-followers?

If Evgenia is the diabolically twisted, evil mastermind that some of you make her out to be...well done, Zhenya! There are plenty of other skaters who are abroad, and those who still can train are certainly doing that, but I don't see any of them getting vilified the same way. Sasha Trusova went to Egypt for a vacation and violated quarantine by training outside...crickets.

I hope Zhenya does get the last laugh when this is all over.

muffinplus

There are plenty of other skaters who are abroad, and those who still can train are certainly doing that, but I don't see any of them getting vilified the same way. Sasha Trusova went to Egypt for a vacation and violated quarantine by training outside...crickets.

Actually Trusova (or her parents rather) was definitely criticized (and here too)... you just missed it. Also, don't see any skaters travelling abroad just to get ice time TBH.

Last edited:

Fairuza

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/...ay-away-from-cancelled-flower-festival-042720

Can we stop with the stereotypes about how Japanese are all such docile rule-followers?

If Evgenia is the diabolically twisted, evil mastermind that some of you make her out to be...well done, Zhenya! There are plenty of other skaters who are abroad, and those who still can train are certainly doing that, but I don't see any of them getting vilified the same way. Sasha Trusova went to Egypt for a vacation and violated quarantine by training outside...crickets.

Right. You know so many skaters who went abroad just as the country they went to was being closed off for no reason at all and who break so many guidelines? Like who, for instance?

starrynight

Last laugh about what?

Sasha Trusova went to Egypt for a vacation and violated quarantine by training outside...crickets.

To be fair, I think people were annoyed, but Trusova is still very child-like and was taken on that trip by her parents. I don't think any of it was clever (and honestly it does make me wonder how good her parents are at making smart decisions), but I don't really think Trusova is mature and grown enough to be held responsible. She's still just a kid.

Anyway .. that reddit page was worth looking at for this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...snooping_around_the_internet_and_came_across/

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!
I actually find it funny that Medvedeva, of all people, would be going out of her way to go to a foreign country to keep that competitive edge. I saw her as someone with her foot halfway through the door of retirement. If anyone were to do that I would have thought it would be someone with triple axels and quads trying to keep from losing them due to lack of ice time.

Bellanca

I actually find it funny that Medvedeva, of all people, would be going out of her way to go to a foreign country to keep that competitive edge
Or was it for a show? Regardless, someone’s travel blunder has never provided so much World Championships cancellation scrum. :watch:

triple_toe

To the people defending med, do you not at the very least find the instagram posting in exceptionally bad taste???

starrynight

I don't think the word 'docile' is accurate at all.

Undeniably, Japanese society has a sense of order and discipline that is actually quite intimidating.

Certainly leaves societies where everyone runs around like headless chickens in the dust.

I spent a bit of time in Japan stressing about which bin to even put my rubbish in, because it's all sorted so perfectly. I didn't want to be that dumb foreigner mucking it up. So keeping that in mind, it's not a place where I'd want to be as a foreigner moving through regional sections of the country against government recommendations.

Tinami Amori

Another piece of "entertainment" from The Plushenko's... the Kid is not entertained... :D

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I spent a bit of time in Japan stressing about which bin to even put my rubbish in, because it's all sorted so perfectly. I didn't want to be that dumb foreigner mucking it up.
I hear you! Washing out and cutting up milk cartons so they’re flat, and tying up newspapers with string!
And I still got people leaving badly sorted rubbish at my door assuming I was the one who wasn’t sorting properly just because I was the only (non-Asian) foreigner in my street 🙄

I think Medvedeva is foolish for going to Japan at this time but I feel sorry for people (e.g low-paid workers and international students) who are stuck in foreign countries and can’t get home due to lockdowns and financial constraints.

Bellanca

Okay, I get that Med has managed to thoroughly piss some people off due to perceived misbehaviors and insensitivity. Therefore, the suggestion or request would be that she dial it down a notch or two — but are we talking about Japan or North Korea, here?! 🙈 🙉 🙊 I’m beginning to wonder. 🤔

Eta: not taking either side — but three deep breaths, everyone.:summer:

greenapple

I wonder what Medvedeva will ultimately decide to do now. Her original plan to learn at least one quad and come back next season in competitive mode has been scuttled due to the ****** situation. Maybe she will skip the upcoming season and focus on the one after?

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I wonder what Medvedeva will ultimately decide to do now. Her original plan to learn at least one quad and come back next season in competitive mode has been scuttled due to the ****** situation. Maybe she will skip the upcoming season and focus on the one after?
I don’t know, I guess it would depend on how much competition happens next season and if the 3As, Zagitova, Tuk etc are in form. Then the season after she’ll probably have Valieva and co to contend with. If no skating happens next season it could be all over for her. Maybe that’s why she’s chasing ice wherever she can get it.

starrynight

If no skating happens next season, I think the nature of the field and things like momentum will change enough for old formulas to not apply. Particularly if something that dramatic occurs as something like no Worlds for 2 years straight.

I'm not exactly sure how, but I do feel that things will change if that happens. But I'm not going to presume that a switch will just be flicked and the conveyer belt will start running again at point we presently imagine it will be at in 18 months time.

So much of the 'one and done' aspect of Russian ladies skating is about injury, burn out, competition and there being no incentive due to big prizes being won already.

If there's no 2021 Worlds, the current young trio will be heading into an Olympic season with no world titles. By that point, everyone will have gone through puberty. Valieva will have no momentum from a successful junior season. The older skaters will have had a break from injury and over training. There won't be any pressure of younger skaters having won things. Familiar names will carry weight. There could be retirements. Girls whose whole reputation is based on ultra-c elements might struggle to find identity if they lose them.

All of these things will change things. The Russian girls are lucky they have the best funding and training system in the World, so skaters are less likely to be forced out if there is no shows or prize money. So they will come out on top at the end. Just a question of which ones.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Preach! As an Asian American myself, I find it very offensive when we are stereotyped as quiet, reserved people. Countries and cultures are made of many kinds of people and not everyone will react the same way.

I don’t think going to Japan was a wise move for Medvedeva, but I don’t think she deserves all this hate. There’s a big difference between calling her out for making a bad choice and crucifying her as if she’s a horrible sadist who wants to see people die.

starrynight

Preach! As an Asian American myself, I find it very offensive when we are stereotyped as quiet, reserved people.

I'm confused if this is directed at me. No one here ever said 'docile'. I'd actually select the word 'intimidating' if I had to describe the discipline and control of Japanese society. There's also a culture of doing things for the benefit of the whole rather than just what you as an individual might find easier. A prime example discussed above is the meticulousness with which people there are expected to sort their rubbish. Compare that to other countries where people throw it all in the same bin or just even out onto the street. Or the self-discipline of wearing uncomfortable masks when you think you might be sick to prevent those around you from catching something.

Maybe I think people from cultures who think running around yelling chaotically is an act of power, might think discipline and control is submissive. But they'd be wrong. But no one here has said anything about being docile. The whole world isn't the USA.

Last edited:

Fairuza

Preach! As an Asian American myself, I find it very offensive when we are stereotyped as quiet, reserved people. Countries and cultures are made of many kinds of people and not everyone will react the same way.

I don’t think going to Japan was a wise move for Medvedeva, but I don’t think she deserves all this hate. There’s a big difference between calling her out for making a bad choice and crucifying her as if she’s a horrible sadist who wants to see people die.
Exaggeration is our best friend, eh? No one apart from you called Medvedeva a sadist - there’s a whole world of difference between sadism and entitlement and sheer irresponsibility. And no one is crucifying her exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information